• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know this thread was claimed by switch owners and nintendo. I must have walked past the flag that was planted, probably while playing switch.

That's the real dangers of portability folks, always watch you're walking.
It was quite clear the poster you were replying to meant by "Switch threads" other threads you previously posted in, not this one which is not a Switch thread, but of course you probably guessed that when you replied the way you did.
Between that, your other replies and hyperbole such as "if people want to put themselves through that it's their problem", I've had enough. Ignore is my friend.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's hardly fair, last time I tried the Bethesda launcher (when Quake Champions was first released, ) their launcher was laggy, cumbersome, and extremely bare bones. So unless they've done a major overhaul, there's plenty wrong with the Bethesda launcher.

This was my experience not so long time ago too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
yep. it's weird they don't realize they're ignoring a market that can make them decent money for no reason.

It's an interesting situation.

Bethesda is doing what it typically takes to build an audience on a platform: they're releasing a number of their games and greenlighting other games before their first games aren't even out. They probably don't care all that much what the initial sales of the first ports are because their long term strategy is actually to build an audience for their games. There are no tests, they see the first games as investments. Investments that probably will make them some profit, sure, but not as much as on other platforms and that's okay, because it is a long term investment.

The thing is, Bethesda is the only western third party doing this on Nintendo platforms. All of the other third parties did this last gen on the PS3 and 360, which is how they're capitalizing so heavily on those investments this gen. But nobody else seems interested in actually going through this process besides Bethesda.

So even if, eventually, Doom Eternal or Doom Eternaler or whatever iteration does sell extremely well, potentially better than on some other platforms, that won't necessarily be the wake up call for other third parties that we want it to be, since they still won't have actively tried to build an audience for their games.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The Doom team are technical wizards. I'm amazed that the first game looks as good as it does on the Switch.

Still getting it for PC but it's great that they're able to put this on as many platforms as they are.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's hardly fair, last time I tried the Bethesda launcher (when Quake Champions was first released, ) their launcher was laggy, cumbersome, and extremely bare bones. So unless they've done a major overhaul, there's plenty wrong with the Bethesda launcher.

It's because of all the features Steam has and all the options Steam provides. It's not that hard to understand.

To be fair it can be a pretty big pain in the ass to have a whole bunch of launchers on your PC constantly running updates and sl all that.
Y'all, I didn't say it's good or bad. I said that's the larger reason why people complain. Of course there's more nuance to the differences in launchers and all that.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
From the outside looking in it's amazing how much of a monopoly Valve has on the PC market. It's crazy because the PC market is open unlike the console market so you would think that Valve would have had some major competition for Steam by now.

Thanks for the replies. I thought the Bethesda Launcher was a mess from reading a couple posts in this thread.

Unlike most of the "competition", Steam has pushed VR, controller, API stuff, and more features that can benefit the PC platform. Other launchers tend to simply lock certain games to them, and not really provide much for the PC platform besides nuisance. I think ideally, games should just be available across more launchers, so things are even more open, rather than certain games being locked to certain launchers.

There was a whole thread about this sort of thing that explains it a lot better, and this is off topic anyway.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bethesda is doing what it typically takes to build an audience on a platform: they're releasing a number of their games and greenlighting other games before their first games aren't even out. They probably don't care all that much what the initial sales of the first ports are because their long term strategy is actually to build an audience for their games. There are no tests, they see the first games as investments. Investments that probably will make them some profit, sure, but not as much as on other platforms and that's okay, because it is a long term investment.

The thing is, Bethesda is the only western third party doing this on Nintendo platforms. All of the other third parties did this last gen on the PS3 and 360, which is how they're capitalizing so heavily on those investments this gen. But nobody else seems interested in actually going through this process besides Bethesda.

So even if, eventually, Doom Eternal or Doom Eternaler or whatever iteration does sell extremely well, potentially better than on some other platforms, that won't necessarily be the wake up call for other third parties that we want it to be, since they still won't have actively tried to build an audience for their games.

I think a lot of other third parties feel burned by their performance on past Nintendo platforms, which is why most of them are still so hesitant to support Switch. Bethesda never gave any serious support to a Nintendo platform before Switch, so they're kind of dealing with this whole Nintendo thing for the first time and fortunately, it seems to be working out well for them. Zenimax is also a private company, which probably gives them a bit more leeway to try a few risks, as they're not as beholden to outside shareholders, who only want to maximize profit. Bethesda has the luxury of being able to play the long game and build a Nintendo fanbase for future platforms. It also doesn't hurt that Nintendo themselves have clearly been courting Bethesda specifically in recent years.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Doomslayer is in smash. You heard it here first.

Yeah, I believe it.

What I don't believe is pulling off those enormous arenas, through which you can quickly swing around with a grappling hook while surrounded by enemies, on Switch. They should just go full low-detail cartoon on all the level textures and enemies, because it'll just be a blurry mess.

Oct 27, 2017

I do agree that Bethesda is playing the long game. They seem committed to creating quality single player titles, and finding a new audience to sell those to is beneficial. They also don't have as much competition. EA, Activision, and Ubisoft have several FPS franchises that aren't hitting Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of other third parties feel burned by their performance on past Nintendo platforms, which is why most of them are still so hesitant to support Switch. Bethesda never gave any serious support to a Nintendo platform before Switch, so they're kind of dealing with this whole Nintendo thing for the first time and fortunately, it seems to be working out well for them. Zenimax is also a private company, which probably gives them a bit more leeway to try a few risks, as they're not as beholden to outside shareholders, who only want to maximize profit. Bethesda has the luxury of being able to play the long game and build a Nintendo fanbase for future platforms. It also doesn't hurt that Nintendo themselves have clearly been courting Bethesda specifically in recent years.

Yeah this is definitely true too.

The real question mark here is how much Bethesda's success (if they have a good amount of success) will influence other third parties. And I think it won't make as big of a difference as we hope, simply because other third parties aren't willing to play this same long game when they can just enjoy the enormous profits they're getting on the other platforms with relative ease.

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
User Warned - Console Warring
I'm going to play Doom Eternal on my ps4 Pro. It's going to be glorious!

Apparently Doom Eternal is also coming for the weak ass Switch. Don't really understand why anyone would even consider playing this on an underpowered handheld.
More power to you I guess, enjoy playing at 20-30 fps and in 360p lol

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Apparently Doom Eternal is also coming for the weak ass Switch. Don't really understand why anyone would even consider playing this on an underpowered handheld.

2f7.jpg

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

These type of posts make these threads just not very fun to even browse.

Anyways great that Doom is coming to everything. Everyone has a chance to play like they want and thats great.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Why play this on a weak ass PS4 Pro when you could play it on PC? Enjoy your 55-60 fps and 1080p lol

.....Do you realise how dumb your post was?

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018

If panic button can get it running at a locked 30fps and 720p with gyro, I would consider the switch version.

Else PC version all the way.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Oh hey look an account that won't get past junior status

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017

Man, that was uncalled for. For each their own.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017

I'm glad you're going to enjoy it on your PS4 Pro, mate!

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Dont really understand why anyone would even consider playing this on an underpowered console. More power to you I guess, enjoy 45 to 60 fps at dynamic sub 4k "high" settings lol

Sarcasm

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting Switch day 1, so that's pretty impressive and great news all around.

I haven't even watched the gameplay yet. I'm almost wanting to go full blackout on the game, and as long as the reviews aren't terrible, just jump in day one completely blind.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

gonna go your way:
"LMAO ON A PRO? LOL, enjoy "4k" lol. I'll be playing it where real gamers should play it, on a PC full 4k@120fps. Not gonna play this beautiful game on an underpowered console at pseudo 4k and "60"fps lol"

See how stupid you sound?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

Like many of the guys enthusiastic here about the Doom Eternal coming on the Switch ; I have Doom on the Switch and it's incredible. So to get that level of quality and being able to play it on the Go, is a higher benefit to me than more polygons.

But it seems you know a thing or two about concession as you're playing on the Pro. If you're such into graphics why limit yourself to the Pro ? There is the X and the PC out there.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
That's great to hear it's going to launch day and date with the other versions. I was skeptical but Bethesda and Panic Buttona are really making an effort to get these games on Switch.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
After Doom coming to Switch, its not too surprising to me that Doom Eternal would make it to the Switch, but being a day 1 release is definitelly not something that i expected. Will be interesting to see how the versions sells. Not that it matters too much, but interesting nontheless.

Personally, i will get the PS4 version. Maybe a day 1 purchase.