• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm going to play Doom Eternal on my ps4 Pro. It's going to be glorious!

Apparently Doom Eternal is also coming for the weak ass Switch. Don't really understand why anyone would even consider playing this on an underpowered handheld.
More power to you I guess, enjoy playing at 20-30 fps and in 360p lol

enjoy playing on the go with your pro.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play the sequel of ANGER ISSUES: THE VIDEOGAME.

This time I'll get it on PC, I built mine out of a strange "fuck I just ordered $1,200 of PC parts what did I just do" moment last year after I finished the game on PS4 and got it for cheap at XB1, so I'll be set when the time comes.

Apparently Doom Eternal is also coming for the weak ass Switch. Don't really understand why anyone would even consider playing this on an underpowered handheld.
lol, playing in console, enjoy aiming with your shitty controller in an underpowered POS hardware.

Seriously though. How old are you, 14? GameFAQs is that way my dude. Grow the fuck up.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Not very glorious on the Pro compared to the X and then PC tbh. And all of those platforms are 0fps on the toilet.

Personally I own all three console platforms (want a high end gaming PC though) and it's X for me. But fucking hell isn't it nice to have the choice, knowing that if I get super addicted to this game, I can double dip on Switch and have some fun with it whilst I'm away with work too? Yeah it's brilliant, so why does that upset you so much?

Deleted member 3769

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're so mature.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Truth be told, technical marvel that it was, from a playability standpoint Doom on Switch wasn't great. That said by the time Doom Eternal comes out these guys have had almost 2 additional years of experience with the system and have been involved in the development of the game since day one, so I'd curb my cynicism until I actually see the game running and assume the best until then.

Oct 26, 2017
Doom for everyone, that's good.

If people wants to play portable DOOM with low iq, framerate and shit i dont see a problem as long as they enjoy the game and they are happy.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
no one else is excited about the player invasion aspect?...I love it...Dark Souls griefing in Doom :)

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
First screenshot of the Switch version:
19222-doom-ii-dos-screenshot-battling-the-oh-so-annoying-arch-vile.gif

I'm just kidding guys plz don't hate.

I'd actually love for the original games + Doom 64 to come out on the Switch, actually.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Was the switch version previously announced or was this just announced?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Imagine being this anal about technical problems and not playing everything on a PC. Lol

si2k78

Nov 6, 2017

Clues had been left on the E3 announcement website for Doom Eternal as per Marcus Sellers. So this shouldn't be a surprise. But still surprising to get an official announcement. Having said that, I think Bathesda really let a "mic drop" moment slip by them. They could have shown a quick gameplay segment then slowly pan out, and revealed the gameplay on the switch in handheld mode. Similar to the trailers for the switch version of sky rim and wolf 2. That would have brought the house down.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent move announcing the Switch version with the other versions for simultaneous release.

With that said, PC + Switch is a day one lock for me!

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Likely the first PC game I will play on my new finished build I am setting up atm. Just waiting for the GPU really. So in a couple of months likely.

Gonna look fantastic!

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to hear about the gyro controls, I think that difference makes any platform choice valid and reasonable.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lemme hear a HELL YEAH!

That's been a recurring refrain for every ambitious Switch port since launch.

"Skyrim on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"DOOM on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"Wolfenstein II on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"ARK on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"Fortnite on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"Warframe on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."

Amen and hallelujah. No gyro, no play!
Every single one of these has pushed it to the limits and has a shitload of concessions to be able to run though?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Definitely in for Switch version.

Maybe the PC too. Reminds me I am dying for an upgrade. My PC is still...pretty good I guess but it's absolutely showing its age.

Surprised so many here seem to be into that version.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine being this anal about technical problems and not playing everything on a PC. Lol
What? Doom at 4k(ish) at 60fps is a huge huge HUGE leap over the switch version. Come on now, even the most untrained eye can see how blurry it looks on a switch. You're acting like it's a 900p vs 1080p difference or something.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
If idtech 7 is really that much more efficient than idt6, then that's a really good sign for the Switch version.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Every single one of these has pushed it to the limits and has a shitload of concessions to be able to run though?
While Doom and Wolfenstein are both pretty downgraded, Skyrim and Fortnite are definitely not showing the upper end of Switch capability. There's no 360 or PS3 game that could max out the Switch, and Skyrim shows that as it is based on the special edition version which is on the PS4 and Xbox One. Fortnite also runs very well on the system, much better than on any phone or tablet.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some games may simply not work on Switch due to it being too weak?
i'm not saying all games, obviously switch won't be able to run a lot of them, but still looking at the games that bethesda are able to run on the system, shows that a lot of other games can be brought over (with some compromises)

How many studios that specialize in porting AAA games on the Switch are there?
yeah that's a good point, maybe the thing stopping publishers is there aren't many studios who can down-port games as well as panic button

embarrassing

It's an interesting situation.

Bethesda is doing what it typically takes to build an audience on a platform: they're releasing a number of their games and greenlighting other games before their first games aren't even out. They probably don't care all that much what the initial sales of the first ports are because their long term strategy is actually to build an audience for their games. There are no tests, they see the first games as investments. Investments that probably will make them some profit, sure, but not as much as on other platforms and that's okay, because it is a long term investment.

The thing is, Bethesda is the only western third party doing this on Nintendo platforms. All of the other third parties did this last gen on the PS3 and 360, which is how they're capitalizing so heavily on those investments this gen. But nobody else seems interested in actually going through this process besides Bethesda.

So even if, eventually, Doom Eternal or Doom Eternaler or whatever iteration does sell extremely well, potentially better than on some other platforms, that won't necessarily be the wake up call for other third parties that we want it to be, since they still won't have actively tried to build an audience for their games.
exactly, they have invested in the system. they were there from day one, and not with bs test games, but with their best stuff. sure, they may have been ports of years old games, but they were well received and they've said they're happy with their performance. i'm sure they'll enjoy the results of their investment for the remainder of switch's life and its successor.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Day fucking one for the switch version. Having gyro aiming will automatically make it the superior console version in my view, and portability is a nice freaking bonus.
Also, the fact that this game is probably developed ALSO with the switch in mind make me hopeful for a quality port.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Day fucking one for the switch version. Having gyro aiming will automatically make it the superior console version in my view, and portability is a nice freaking bonus.
Also, the fact that this game is probably developed ALSO with the switch in mind make me hopeful for a quality port.
This along with the added efficiency of the ID Tech 7 engine makes me super excited!

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Handheld Doom is fuckin glorious

And i could easily switch between PC version and Switch version without much problems, it's an absolute feat and pleasure to play this game on the go

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You may not know this, but Steam has full support for the Switch Pro controller so you can play with gyro on PC too.

Edit: Shit, you were talking about the console versions, not the PC version, my bad,

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm really curious about is how optimized idTech 7 is compared to 6, and whether the Switch was taken into account when making the new version of the engine.

And, taking into account Panic Button's growing experience with the Switch hardware and idTech, Doom Eternal on Switch could potentially end up looking and/or run better than Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein.

Am I making any sense, or is this just wishful thinking?

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
First screenshot of the Switch version:
19222-doom-ii-dos-screenshot-battling-the-oh-so-annoying-arch-vile.gif

I'm just kidding guys plz don't hate.

I'd actually love for the original games + Doom 64 to come out on the Switch, actually.

You actually can watch all the versions on YouTube, or kinda:

Just set 1080p60 to watch Xbox One X / PS4 Pro, set 720p60 to watch Xbox One / PS4, and 480p30 / 360p30 to watch Switch docked / undocked.

Joking aside, what are realistically the expectations for Switch version?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NOW we can finally compare sales with Switch since we finally get a big brand new AAA game day and date.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
NOW we can finally compare sales with Switch since we finally get a big brand new AAA game day and date.

FIFA and 2k.

regardless, it won't compare well to ps4 and xbox in terms of raw numbers. And no one should expect it to.

It's all about if it meets their expectations and makes enough money that makes it worth panic button porting. I assume the first game did or else the sequel wouldn't come.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt it will compare too favorably but probably better than people think.

Depending on when it releases the Switch install base might be larger than the XB1 install base too. So that may help it fare better against XB1 anyway.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You actually can watch all the versions on YouTube, or kinda:

Just set 1080p60 to watch Xbox One X / PS4 Pro, set 720p60 to watch Xbox One / PS4, and 480p30 / 360p30 to watch Switch docked / undocked.

Joking aside, what are realistically the expectations for Switch version?
It's gonna look blurry and details won't be sharp up close. Maybe some slight fps drops with the grappling hook.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
While Doom and Wolfenstein are both pretty downgraded, Skyrim and Fortnite are definitely not showing the upper end of Switch capability. There's no 360 or PS3 game that could max out the Switch, and Skyrim shows that as it is based on the special edition version which is on the PS4 and Xbox One. Fortnite also runs very well on the system, much better than on any phone or tablet.
Switch Skyrim may be based on those versions, but it's not really comparable to those versions as there's massive cutbacks to vegetation and LODs along with running at sub 1080p.

It really is very impressive that Doom Eternal is going to be on Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FIFA and 2k.

regardless, it won't compare well to ps4 and xbox in terms of raw numbers. And no one should expect it to.

It's all about if it meets their expectations and makes enough money that makes it worth panic button porting. I assume the first game did or else the sequel wouldn't come.
Fifa was missing stuff and 2K had problems. So no they don't count. This is a real game that they put their heart into. Don't give me those half assed games.

I never said the Switch version is going to outsell the others. It just has to do good enough to feel like it was worth using Panic Button.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
No versions were announced previously, but it was safe to assume it'd come to the usual suspects.

The point is that they run and people are having fun with them. That's the most important thing, because nobody cares about FPS or polygons pushed when you're at 35,000 feet and your gaming box is three time zones away.

Fifa was missing stuff and 2K had problems. So no they don't count.
I got NBA2K18 Week One on Switch and never had any problems...?