• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
People keep forgetting how much developers can squeeze out of hardware as they continue to work with it. The Switch will be no different, games releasing for it in 2022 will look and run far better than games released in 2017.

Excited to see how much more Panic Button can optimize their games.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Just tried in arcade mode and the first map. Nearly locked 30fps except for one time when things chugged a bit as a load of enemies appeared and a bomb went off.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
you tell us, after patch the update data total (with everything you already downloaded before) is 8.3GB for the card-version. if you tell us what it is before you update we can add/subtract.

oh, so around 300MB

I'm doing so at this moment. Just wish I had 1.1.1 on my undocked unit so I could see if portable play has been enhanced any.

Any area of preference? I'll do Arcade mode for 1.1.1 capture.

no arcade mode please

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing so at this moment. Just wish I had 1.1.1 on my undocked unit so I could see if portable play has been enhanced any.

Any area of preference? I'll do Arcade mode for 1.1.1 capture.
i think 1.1.1 was a minor update, it should be the same as 1.1 graphically. some comparison of 1.1 and 1.2 would be great, like maybe the opening to the elevator.
one area where there's very noticeable frame drops is at the top of the argent tower (i think?) where there's a bunch of enemies and a countdown before you get teleported to hell for the first time. it would be great to see a comparison of that area, but that's a lengthy mission and it will take a while to get to the end.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PanicButton always gets a shitload of praise around here but Subnautica PS4 seems to be a trainwreck.
Bought it at launch last week but I haven't booted it up on my pro yet. Crashes, save bugs, freezes... that kind of stuff.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
i think 1.1.1 was a minor update, it should be the same as 1.1 graphically. some comparison of 1.1 and 1.2 would be great, like maybe the opening to the elevator.
one area where there's very noticeable frame drops is at the top of the argent tower (i think?) where there's a bunch of enemies and a countdown before you get teleported to hell for the first time. it would be great to see a comparison of that area, but that's a lengthy mission and it will take a while to get to the end.
I'll do the opening sequence then. Sadly my undocked unit is 1.0 -- I never played the game on that system. So it wouldn't be a fair comparison to make, but I can do docked comparison without issue.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep forgetting how much developers can squeeze out of hardware as they continue to work with it. The Switch will be no different, games releasing for it in 2022 will look and run far better than games released in 2017.
just look at launch ps3/x360 games and compare them with games that were coming out in the end. it's hard to believe games like uncharted 1/perfect dark zero are on the same systems as the last of us/halo 4. the best looking games on switch are still a long way off, and they'll look much better than what we've seen on the system so far.

Nov 8, 2017
Bit of a tangent but I think that keeping effects in tact and lowering resolution may pay off as a strategy if the Switch revision in 2019 has any extra power. Doom and Wolf2 might for example hit consistent 720 docked and more like 640-680p hh if it has notably more GPU power at its disposal.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see the results. It's a shame they'll probably never tackle the game's biggest issue: heavily compressed audio. Maybe the Switch just can't handle it without interfering with the game's performance.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably would be a bit weird to have a first party port studio.
They could maybe give technical support to other studios like retro which is pretty close by, but probably the best bet would be to help them in other ways like giving them projects to work out
they may be able to do some great work on prime tilogy HD, but i'm not sure if they'd be as great at up porting as they are in down porting.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is Panic Button doing the Doom Eternal port as well? I might just get it on Switch as the primary platform if that is the case.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
You can update to match your version with your other Switch, so you can have the undocked capture at 1.1. I think it works by a direct wi-fi connection.
I'll give that a try.

Edit: Looks like it'll take around 30 minutes to get the update to the other unit, but I'll be able to do 1.1.1 vs 1.2 undocked/docked comparison at least.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow! That's awesome of them to keep updating it, even after all this time!

Looking forward to trying it when I get home! :D

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Should I get doom on switch or PC?
Tried the demo on PC and the graphics were amazing... But portability and playing in bed..

i beat the single player on switch entirely in handheld mode and had a great time. still looked good to me. it was a fantastic game and I really dug playing it in what is usually my preferred form factor. definitely recommend it if you like playing off-tv.

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Bought the game on sale. Played a bit, mostly undocked, could see serious resolution drops and the image getting blocky.

Hope this will smoothen the experience a bit after I'm done with smash.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
wait, the switch version of wolfenstein 2 is missing content? i was considering buying that after i finished doom, but i don't want to buy an incomplete version.

The New Colossus' DLC is really short and forgettable, they have next to no story, and they are side stories not related to the main game.
You can completely skip them and still get a great game. They aren't anywhere near the quality or companion piece that The Old Blood was to The New Order.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't that be something to take up with the publisher?

That doesn't really matter as they put their logo on the port and must have been happy with their work lol but it's rather surprising and I can't be the only PS4/NSW owner around here. :D
Also, Subnautica is an awesome game that should be checked out by any Aquanaut's Holiday or Endless Ocean lover!

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit with in Handheld Mode and it seems smoother AND resolution seems also a bit better. Could be Placebo ;)

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know, i think after it's done i'll only see what size all the updates together are, and there's already like an 8 GB day 1 update so it would be hard to tell.

i want them to do it but i guess it's a bit much to expect them to do a video anytime there's an update for a year old game port of a 2 year old game.
Speaking of which, have they done one for smash 5 yet?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wouldn't that be something to take up with the publisher?
Exactly.
That doesn't really matter as they put their logo on the port and must have been happy with their work lol but it's rather surprising and I can't be the only PS4/NSW owner around here. :D
Also, Subnautica is an awesome game that should be checked out by any Aquanaut's Holiday or Endless Ocean lover!
No. If the publisher says that's it, budget is dry, we're shipping this and we're not shelling out for updates then that has absolutely nothing to do with the developer. Stuff like this is always down to the publisher (and their willingness to open the wallet).