• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet! Just checked the Eshop charts and DOOM (as well as Skyrim) are charting again too. Great timing!

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
DAMN SON! Time to give it another go!

Argent Tower would be interesting to see, that was the most demanding area for the Switch as I recall.

To be fair, the PS4 is older technology... ;-)
Lazarus Labs and Argent Tower. Do some portable mode too. It still runs better in portable mode with the new patch I think.
Didn't see these until now & I've already captured portable footage and updated the game on that unit. I'll do Argent Tower from Arcade mode on docked for that comparison.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
I think it's great that they are still updating this. I downloaded the update to test it out and the framerate seems pretty solid. Unfortunately, I can't stand the low resolution. Between the reddish color and low res, it looks like a blurry mess to me in handheld mode and I can barely see enemies half the time.

Panic Button, can you include a 720p/20 Fps mode? : )
I just played through some of the more demanding later stages, and it definitely seems like the resolution stays much higher much more consistently. Now full disclosure, I play with motion blur turned off, and I find it makes the whole experience far less blurry to begin with, but after the update I am not seeing a lot of "muddy" areas anywhere. The entirety of this game is much more crisp than Wolfenstien 2, which I find just a bit too blurry to be enjoyable.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Well that was out of the blue, I wonder if they took what they learned from the Wolfenstein port and used it to optimise Doom more. Amazing support.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, so NOW they add video capture after 100 hours of awesome multiplayer moments I'll never be able to recreate. :(

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I did a test just now pre- and post-patch. Handheld mode. TV mode looks washed out as always and, let's be honest the main reason to play this is for Doom on the go.

It is very hard to make good direct comparisons due to the variable resolution and frame-rate scene by scene. This is why Digital Foundry is needed. What I can say is that playing through the 2nd level of the game (Mars exterior) the image quality looks pretty decent most of the time and the judder in the framerate seems less. Even if placebo effect, I think handheld generally is in solid shape given the nature of what is being pushed here in handheld.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Argent Tower to me is the de facto test area for these patches, especially the last horde rush before the end of the mission.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
PanicButton always gets a shitload of praise around here but Subnautica PS4 seems to be a trainwreck.
Bought it at launch last week but I haven't booted it up on my pro yet. Crashes, save bugs, freezes... that kind of stuff.

I've been saying for a long time that PB is overrated, but it's also one of the very few studio with the guts to port AAA games on switch.
I wish Capcom would give MHW to iron galaxy...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
But they're not ...we literally have the proof in our hands :D

They have been almost the only ones to tackle ports of AAA games and that's very commendable; also, their commitment to regularly improve on their port is remarkable deserves a thousand praises.

That being said, none of those port strikes me as "Wizardry" or whichever superlatives we hear everytime on release. Rocket League was incredibly rough before Psyonix took the matter into their own hand. Doom was serviceable on release, and many people thought on release that it was the ceiling of the Switch. Yet, we can see that they still had quite a significant headroom when comparing version 1.0 to this one. I wonder how high it could go if the port had been made with more resources. Same goes for Wolfenstein which was massively improved as compared to the release version; but we're just so happy (I totally include myself in the "we") that these games come to Switch that we are willing to often overlook their technical shortcomings, even when the console is actually capable of much better. The latest example is Warframe; the fact that the game runs significantly worse than on my 2016 Dell XPS, or than on a GPDWin 2 for example, is quite disappointing for port specifically optimized for the console.

The use of the word "overrated" may seem a little harsh and provocative, but in no way do I mean that they are bad; they are doing to work of the Lord by bringing those games, they constantly improve and I've been here day 1 every time, and will be for the next Doom. Panic Button is undeniably a good port studio and they seem to be working with limited time and resources, which probably explains a lot about the shortcomings of their ports. In a hindsight, I should have said that their ports were overrated; I have no idea of the constrains under which the studio is working.

I have been personally more impressed by the work from Iron Galaxy so far. Their Skyrim port was a true half gen game. Their Diablo port was much closer to the Xbox1 version than the previous gen versions. Much much closer. I know those are old games at core, but they were both showing the limits of the ps360 generation; they run near perfectly on Switch handheld or docked. I hope that the next port by Iron Galaxy will be a more recent game. They wanted to bring Monster Hunter World. If only...

Oct 27, 2017
They have been almost the only ones to tackle ports of AAA games and that's very commendable; also, their commitment to regularly improve on their port is remarkable deserves a thousand praises.

That being said, none of those port strikes me as "Wizardry" or whichever superlatives we hear everytime on release. Rocket League was incredibly rough before Psyonix took the matter into their own hand. Doom was serviceable on release, and many people thought on release that it was the ceiling of the Switch. Yet, we can see that they still had quite a significant headroom when comparing version 1.0 to this one. I wonder how high it could go if the port had been made with more resources. Same goes for Wolfenstein which was massively improved as compared to the release version; but we're just so happy (I totally include myself in the "we") that these games come to Switch that we are willing to often overlook their technical shortcomings, even when the console is actually capable of much better. The latest example is Warframe; the fact that the game runs significantly worse than on my 2016 Dell XPS, or than on a GPDWin 2 for example, is quite disappointing for port specifically optimized for the console.

The use of the word "overrated" may seem a little harsh and provocative, but in no way do I mean that they are bad; they are doing to work of the Lord by bringing those games, they constantly improve and I've been here day 1 every time, and will be for the next Doom. Panic Button is undeniably a good port studio and they seem to be working with limited time and resources, which probably explains a lot about the shortcomings of their ports. In a hindsight, I should have said that their ports were overrated; I have no idea of the constrains under which the studio is working.

I have been personally more impressed by the work from Iron Galaxy so far. Their Skyrim port was a true half gen game. Their Diablo port was much closer to the Xbox1 version than the previous gen versions. Much much closer. I know those are old games at core, but they were both showing the limits of the ps360 generation; they run near perfectly on Switch handheld or docked. I hope that the next port by Iron Galaxy will be a more recent game. They wanted to bring Monster Hunter World. If only...
I do tend to agree with you. It was possible to get something like Rise of the Tomb Raider to run at native 720p with FXAA on the 360. Panic Button also had the benefit of being able to cut the frame rate in half with Doom. Where ROTTR targeted 30FPS on base consoles, making it much more difficult to port to lower hardware.

It's also my understanding that the Switch is about the same power as the 360 in handheld mode and much more powerful in docked. So to have a game in the neighborhood of 500P-ish docked and not even able to hold 720 docked, I did find their work a little underwhelming. But like you said, I'm glad they are doing what they can. And I did buy the game day 1 on the Switch, but it was a bit rough, and had a ton of audio glitches even with the day 1 patch.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I prefer to look at things from the perspective of Iron Galaxy and devs like Tantalus being severely underrated for their port work (especially taking Tantalus' work on Wii U under the Straight Right label into account [Deus Ex HR, ME3:SE, TPHD]). IG really nailed the D3 port. I'm always in favor of lifting something up rather than putting something else down.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Are Panic Button porting Doom Eternal to Switch?

If so they could be testing new optimisation methods before utilising them on the new port.

Great to see either way!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I do tend to agree with you. It was possible to get something like Rise of the Tomb Raider to run at native 720p with FXAA on the 360. Panic Button also had the benefit of being able to cut the frame rate in half with Doom. Where ROTTR targeted 30FPS on base consoles, making it much more difficult to port to lower hardware.

It's also my understanding that the Switch is about the same power as the 360 in handheld mode and much more powerful in docked. So to have a game in the neighborhood of 500P-ish docked and not even able to hold 720 docked, I did find their work a little underwhelming. But like you said, I'm glad they are doing what they can. And I did buy the game day 1 on the Switch, but it was a bit rough, and had a ton of audio glitches even with the day 1 patch.

Actually, I think (though my knowledge on that matter is very limited) that handheld switch is already quite a bit more powerful than the 360 (and the WiiU for what it's worth), but I guess it could vary from game to game. That port of Tomb Raider was indeed impressive. The fact that Destiny also runs on older gen says a lot as well.

So far third party support has been very underwhelming on Switch when it comes to ambitious title, so I really want to stress that Panic Button's work is VERY MUCH appreciated in that regard.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I prefer to look at things from the perspective of Iron Galaxy and devs like Tantalus being severely underrated for their port work (especially taking Tantalus' work on Wii U under the Straight Right label into account [Deus Ex HR, ME3:SE, TPHD]). IG really nailed the D3 port. I'm always in favor of lifting something up rather than putting something else down.

You are right.
I was mostly saying "overrated" in reaction to the word "wizard" that gets thrown left and right.
But yes, I think that Iron Galaxy is indeed underrated.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Does anyone play the multiplayer these days or did the switch to a paid online completely kill the playerbase?

Might doubledip on this digital if it goes on a decent sale soon.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Again you compare your Dell XPS to Switch.

XPS Specs

CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Core i7-7500U (dual-core, 4MB cache, up to 3.5GHz)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 (1,866MHz)
Storage: 256GB PCIe SSD

No shit Warframe run better on laptop than Switch which specs are way lower.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't sure that it'd get much play over the PC version back when I double-dipped on this port, but given the hardware limitations, I think that Switch DOOM (along with Wolf 2) is in some ways the most impressive technical achievement of this generation. It's genuinely miraculous that it looks as good as it does, and runs as well as it does, on a handheld. Playing it on an airplane made me feel like I was living in the future.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I think it's great that they are still updating this. I downloaded the update to test it out and the framerate seems pretty solid. Unfortunately, I can't stand the low resolution. Between the reddish color and low res, it looks like a blurry mess to me in handheld mode and I can barely see enemies half the time.

Panic Button, can you include a 720p/20 Fps mode? : )

Question: Have you turned off "chromatic aberration" in the settings? it's "on" default and makes the game a lot blurrier.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Again you compare your Dell XPS to Switch.

XPS Specs

CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Core i7-7500U (dual-core, 4MB cache, up to 3.5GHz)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 (1,866MHz)
Storage: 256GB PCIe SSD

No shit Warframe run better on laptop than Switch which specs are way lower.

Diablo 3 runs significantly worse on my laptop than the buttery smooth Switch version. I'm not sure that an Intel HD 620 is much better than a Switch in game, especially as the latter has far less processes running than a Windows PC.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Diablo 3 runs significantly worse on my laptop than the buttery smooth Switch version. I'm not sure that an Intel HD 620 is much better than a Switch in game, especially as the latter has far less processes running than a Windows PC.

Maybe the more powerful CPU and extra memory works wonders for Warframe while D3 is less heavy in that regard?

I dont think HD 620 is a much better if at all than the switch gpu.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I agree with you. They have tackled very challenging ports in the sense that they created support for tricky modern engines from scratch, but that's not to say everything has been perfect from the get-go. The performance of DOOM or Wolfenstein 2 for instance was perfectly optimized since launch in the other versions, whereas on Switch both had a lot of headroom for improvement at launch, for instance.
It doesn't detract from being impressive work (That's why they keep getting hired) but it's not miraculous.
I wasn't sure that it'd get much play over the PC version back when I double-dipped on this port, but given the hardware limitations, I think that Switch DOOM (along with Wolf 2) is in some ways the most impressive technical achievement of this generation. It's genuinely miraculous that it looks as good as it does, and runs as well as it does, on a handheld. Playing it on an airplane made me feel like I was living in the future.
You live in the future. The Switch is quite a powerful device for its size and power consumption.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
i didnt see graphic improvement, but I did notice a more stable frame rate. And one after noticing that is that I found out that the game was updated, since my gf was playing fortnite and she didnt tell that a Doom update was available.

So i dont think its placebo.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Should I get doom on switch or PC?
Tried the demo on PC and the graphics were amazing... But portability and playing in bed..
Get it on PC, especially if you've got a high refresh rate monitor. It's not like Doom on Switch is bad, but the low resolution, low framerate, and noticeably higher input latency all kinda dull the impact Doom normally has. It's supposed to be fast and fluid, with sharp details, a high framerate, and snappy controls, but the Switch has none of those.

It's still fun, don't get me wrong, but Doom on Switch is only really good for portable mode. Put it on a TV, and suddenly the whole thing looks like barf. If you aim to exclusively play it in portable mode, and don't mind paying a higher price for what is effectively an inferior version (albeit, still a great game) that you can play in bed, then I guess it's fine.

If you wait for a sale, you'll likely be able to pick up Doom on PC for around $5-10. On Switch, it's around $25-30 on sale.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting seeing how efficient one studio can get at optimizing for a platform after optimizing like 6 games.

Still remember when Doom and rocket league came out and people were saying that's the absolute best they could get out of those games and then they both got better after awhile

Honestly the Doom port is impressive, but Rocket League is just underwhelming for such a simple game.

Probably because RL is so simple and runs good enough on PCs the developer just coded without thinking of optimization and additionally throwed many unoptimized (transparency) effects on the screen, just because it made not much difference on PC. Without rewriting the whole code there is probably not much Panic Button could do to optimize RL. This is why the Rocket league port is so underwhelming visually for such a simple concept (and looks dated on PC too).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
They advertised a lot on Doom Eternal being built with the Switch in mind from the ground up. I wish they could have found a way to push it to 60fps but that's not gonna happen, so I wonder which kind of improvements we are going to be looking at.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still fun, don't get me wrong, but Doom on Switch is only really good for portable mode. Put it on a TV, and suddenly the whole thing looks like barf.

Thats nonsense. Yes, compared to a high end PC it looks worse on Switch TV mode, obviously, but it looks really good. And you can play it on TV without hassle and then take the Switch go to bed (or bath...) and play on.