• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
This..... Show is something else. Today's episode had me feeling so many types of way after hearing what went down with the news last night and today.

I'm curious what would Niles be asking Mr. Nobody if he was taking care of him along with the rest of, "what the fuck is the Doom Patrol?!" 😂

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
This..... Show is something else. Today's episode had me feeling so many types of way after hearing what went down with the news last night and today.

I'm curious what would Niles be asking Mr. Nobody if he was taking care of him along with the rest of, "what the fuck is the Doom Patrol?!" 😂

I might be mis-remembering as it's been some time, but iirc the Morrison ending alludes to the Doom Patrol only being something Jane experiences as part of her therapy. The adventures are only playing out in her psyche but I really do need to revisit that run.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
This show is an absolute blast! The dialogue and line delivery are stellar. It really is like Legends of Tomorrow if it weren't restricted by being on the CW.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Good grief, THAT EP WAS INSANE. The best so far by a LONG shot. The writing was back on form, and the story was so fleshed out it felt like 2 hours of content packed into 55 minutes. They found time for all the wonderful little character details and exploring Jane's history, all while keeping it deliriously fun and mind-bending. I absolutely loved it. The stuff with the cultists might be my favourite part. It's unreal how many cylinders this god damn show is firing on right now.

Anybody not watching this, please please please watch it.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
This episode was incredible seriously some amazing tv during those 55 minutes.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Episode went places.
I like the show just embraces the weirdness like it's normal.

Every character is getting a time to grow.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Good episode, but it got me to thinking...
I honestly thought Jane met with Niles and stayed at the estate during the 90s for a short while, leaving and coming over time. During that period, Cliff would be in his room or on his lonesome not interacting with her whenever she was around.

Yet in this episode we learn that she's been around since the 1970s! That'd make her somewhere in her 50s yet she looks much younger. So I've got a theory that might be a spoiler
Jane was alive during the 1970s
Cliff is from the 1980s
Rita is from the 1950s
Larry's from the 1960s
Niles is most def. gonna be from the 1940s if we follow the pattern above.

For everyone except Jane, their reason for still being alive can be attributed to their physiology, with the Negative Entity keeping Larry alive.

So how is it Jane can still look youthful? This can be explained either by one of her identities being able to keep her young (looking) OR...General Immortus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Immortus

What if these 4 are descendants of General Immortus and their situations resulted in them triggering something similar to his longevity unlike any of his other descendants?
Heck maybe even Niles is a descendant too and he is among the very few that naturally took on Immortus' longevity?

This brings me to the final scene of Episode 5
Could the Doom Patrol had been the name of Niles' team since the 1940s and one that Willoughby worked with in the past? Only other explanation I can think of is that the Doom Patrol were part of the Brotherhood of Evil (if not a unit gathered to combat them) and Mr. Nobody wants more information about them.

In such a case, if there WAS a Doom Patrol team in the past,
what if it consisted of the Creature Commandos? Those guys look like the sort that'd fit as a Doom Patrol :P

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know how this show keeps outdoing itself each week but once again it managed to. Episode 5 was batshit insanity in the best possible way.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Either Jane's personalities only age when they are "out" or what it says on the t-shirt...

iuV7JUz.jpg

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Every episode just gets better, and the use of special effects is great and inventive. Diane Guerrero is killing it playing all these different characters.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Jane either has a personality that can time travel or what Niles and Mr. Nobody did to defeat the Decreator altered the timeline. Possibly a combination of both.

Mr. Nobody is also quickly becoming one of my favorite DC villains. Possibly number 2 with Eobard being on top.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I honestly thought episode 5 would be the season finale of a short season, imagine my feels when I heard the season has like 25 episodes.

This might become my show of the year.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So i tried to get into Titans because i guess there is an episode with the Doom Patrol.. can i just watch that one episode with them and be fine?

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to watch any of Titans tbf, but if you must just that episode is enough.
Yes but you don't really need to. They don't really acknowledge it anyway. Beast Boy hasn't been mentioned at all.

It is one of the better episodes of Titans but it's not necessary for Doom Patrol
Thanks! Titans seems okay but being in the mood for more Doom Patrol makes everything there seem so pedestrian.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
A farting dog saves the world.

Any other show and I'd immediately turn off, but it seems oddly fitting here.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Guesses on who the women with Mento might be ?

At the beginning with the classic red/white uniforms?
at his left looks like Rita, and the uniform of thr other one reminds me an Indian outfit, so gforguava must be right, she could be Celsius. Later in the comics they state that Chief only married to protect her, so she can still be her wife.

Oct 25, 2017
I just started watching this show, couple episodes in so far. Zero prior familiarity with these characters (besides cyborg).

It's just weird and stupid enough that I'm into it. It's stupid in a charming way, like it's Xmen if you banged the writer in the head a few times first. No idea if they can keep this balancing act going but I plan to keep chugging on to find out. I'm having a good time.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I just started watching this show, couple episodes in so far. Zero prior familiarity with these characters (besides cyborg).

It's just weird and stupid enough that I'm into it. It's stupid in a charming way, like it's Xmen if you banged the writer in the head a few times first. No idea if they can keep this balancing act going but I plan to keep chugging on to find out. I'm having a good time.
Both X-Men and Doom Patrol curiously enough, debuted in the same year (1963).

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Both X-Men and Doom Patrol curiously enough, debuted in the same year (1963).

Well both teams include misfit superheroes shunned by society and both are led by men of preternatural intelligence who use wheelchairs. There was a quarrel back them about Stan Lee borrowing the concept of Doom Patrol to create the X-Men. Arnold Drake, the creator of Doom Patrol, once stated: "...I've become more and more convinced that [Stan Lee] knowingly stole The X-Men from The Doom Patrol. Over the years I learned that an awful lot of writers and artists were working surreptitiously between [Marvel and DC]. Therefore from when I first brought the idea into [DC editor] Murray Boltinoff's office, it would've been easy for someone to walk over and hear that [I was] working on a story about a bunch of reluctant superheroes who are led by a man in a wheelchair. So over the years, I began to feel that Stan had more lead time than I realized. He may well have had four, five, or even six months."
He later changed his tone to a more polited position saying that both authors probably came with similar ideas simultaneously.