• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

D2B1Uv6W0AAGMlz.jpg

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just wanted to ask...why do they not age? I guess you can handwave Robotman but seemingly everyone else is the same age for decades.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I just wanted to ask...why do they not age? I guess you can handwave Robotman but seemingly everyone else is the same age for decades.
Guessing Rita's condition allows her to just stay at her prime look forever since she's essentially living plastic. The spirit inside of Mr. Negative must keep him from growing old? Crazy Jane I just assume is due to when she got the injection which gave her personalities their powers, one of the side effects must've been slowed aging.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guessing Rita's condition allows her to just stay at her prime look forever since she's essentially living plastic. The spirit inside of Mr. Negative must keep him from growing old? Crazy Jane I just assume is due to when she got the injection which gave her personalities their powers, one of the side effects must've been slowed aging.
Yeah, these are the "explanations" I've basically assumed as well. I think they showed the Doctor as well though being Dalton's age for decades. But I know nothing about him so I guess there can be a million explanations there. Not that any of this particularly matters in this universe!

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Just started watching this show. It's pretty damn amazing so far. Had this obvious question:

And spoiled myself a bit with the above responses but that's alright since it was bugging me that no one was aging. I'm going to assume the Chief has a good reason too.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i think something is going on. Its very in your face with the decades everyones origin flashbacks take place at. Each is very distinct from the next.. 80s McMansion, 50s Hollywood, 60s atomic age, 70s punk. Even in the last episode with Marilyns (Maryanns?) first lines being a joke about aging. Maybe its nothing but it feels like it something.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Posting this during my binge catch up. What a fantastic show. So much heart. Great great comedy, casting, chemistry, everything. And Clint Mansell? Good Lord

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode, though I wasn't expecting it to be such a downer or for Mento to be only mildly a piece of shit. The surprises just won't stop coming.

But, jeez louise, did my girl Rhea get the short end of the stick.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah..... Mr. Nobody did them dirty and then Mento continued it. It was an emotional episode and a good one at it. Getting over (sort of) their fears this early on is good. Niles is also a piece of shit for just abandoning them. Not very many visits is just cruel. At least Josh is there to take care of them.

Booyah! Lol.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Another real good episode. I particularly enjoyed Rita's flashbacks in this one, they came together in a story with some fascinating tragic irony.
In general it's always a treat how they mix a ton of heightened concepts and bizarre visuals (that pinata police officers scene was hilariously freaky - major Morrison vibes) with a very strong emotional pulse, every time. It's like a version of dark, brooding "prestige TV" that is both actually quite sweet at heart and completely packed with comic book craziness.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Already mentioned Clint Mansell's score, but whoever is doing the general music stuff is on point. I am such a sucker for Perfect Day.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
This is just getting better and better. Best comic based series since 'Happy!'. Just need DC Universe released outside the US, using a VPN for membership at the moment and the streaming quality sucks.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
Did not expect this much of a downer from this show. Good stuff though. This show is easily my favorite comic show ever at this point.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That perfect day ending was just beautiful. I'm loving the slow burn and patience with these character arcs.

Nov 8, 2017

Haven't seen the latest episode. The Chief is the one that seems inexplicable since everyone else is either a robot or has something supernatural going on. Jane's personalities are distinct characters that have a fixed age, like some seem older or younger (not just mentally). Rita's human form is something she has to concentrate to have, she is not really human in a conventional sense and could presumably form into different shapes / ages if she practiced. The guy with the spirit is all burned up and I'm not clear if he looks any particular age.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
im surprised there is so much Dalton in the show. That hallway scene with Niles and Joshua. Dalton is absolutely menacing.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
it's weird that apparently all metahumans in this show's universe are immortal and no one ever sees fit to bring that up
Something has got to be going on. Every episode there is something front and center that hints at the age issue. The Chief is still his Dalton self with the old Doom Patrol but should have aged worse than Mento with the current team. All we know for sure is that the villain of the show is a reality-warper with seemingly complete mastery over time so who knows where things will end up?

edit:
Also does anyone know the music that is used in the promos? ive linked to an old one as an example. Its a longshot but i figured id ask here in case anyone knew.

Last edited:

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think it's too far-fetched that Rita, Jane, and Larry seem to be getting longer longevity from their powers, albeit a little convenient. As well as for the Chief.... (comic spoiler speculation)
In the Silver Age Comics The Chief was tasked by the Brotherhood of Evil's General Immortus to develop a solution for immortality so Immortus could live even longer. Perhaps the Chief in the show is prolonging his life with such solution? It would meld with this morally ambiguous take on the character.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely feel like we're going to get some big reveal regarding their age issue. No way they don't address it. It's getting more and more obvious with each episode.

That said, another fantastic episode. I haven't enjoyed a DC show this much since ever. It's surpassed Flash S1 for me even.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely feel like we're going to get some big reveal regarding their age issue. No way they don't address it. It's getting more and more obvious with each episode.

That said, another fantastic episode. I haven't enjoyed a DC show this much since ever. It's surpassed Flash S1 for me even.

Yeah every other meta has been seen aging like "normal" this past episode, but it is pretty obvious as to why they don't age "normally":

Rita is old but her powers don't really reflect that physically. Being able to turn her body into any shape and size, she's able to alter her appearance to remain an attractive age for the masses.
Larry is wrapped up due to being a charred being. He is old but his "spirit" doesn't have any official age and can act as how it sees fit.
Cliff is, well, he's a damn robot.
Jane is, well, she's Jane. Multiple metahumans inside one human being and it's obvious that one (or many beings) are able to alter her physical appearance.

They're old. Old. It just so happens that their powers allow them to operate at different age levels.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the aging I think BLOODED_hands is pretty right on the money.

Rita's power can change her appearance. Heck, she might be immortal for all we know.
Cliff is a robot.
Larry is bandaged up. And ***Comic Spoiler, not sure how relevant*** they could take a page from Giffen's run where it is made clear that Larry is in fact a corpse and the Negative Spirit is what animates him.
And Jane is a mess of powers and personalities. Who knows, maybe Kay is actually older but we never get to meet her or maybe Kay doesn't age at all because she is locked away inside herself.

Oh and Cyborg somethingsomething.

One thing that I think shouldn't be overlooked is the way the time periods impact the characters. When bringing Rita and Larry off the page they naturally fit into certain time periods and said time periods are directly reflected into their characterization and stories. Cliff's origin might not be too impacted by the time it was set but because they are doing the 'grown up daughter he never got to know' angle, it kind of had to happen.
And looking at the show and its story a lot of it hinges on the past, whether it is the history of the Chief, the DP, and Mr. Nobody, or the past traumas that plague everyone. History matters a lot on The Doom Patrol.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
This was the most Doom Patrol ep. of this show so far. Wow.
I don't think it's too far-fetched that Rita, Jane, and Larry seem to be getting longer longevity from their powers, albeit a little convenient. As well as for the Chief.... (comic spoiler speculation)
In the Silver Age Comics The Chief was tasked by the Brotherhood of Evil's General Immortus to develop a solution for immortality so Immortus could live even longer. Perhaps the Chief in the show is prolonging his life with such solution? It would meld with this morally ambiguous take on the character.
This was my theory as well which I made a post of a few pages back.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good execution of flashback.

All the characters are like able. Cyborg is growing on me

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What a great show. I guess I should have figured from the premise but I didn't think it would be be so tragic all around. Really tugs at the heart and makes you root for every single member. I don't think I've cared so much for a team of heroes before. There's usually someone you can't stand

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the aging I think BLOODED_hands is pretty right on the money.

Rita's power can change her appearance. Heck, she might be immortal for all we know.
Cliff is a robot.
Larry is bandaged up. And ***Comic Spoiler, not sure how relevant*** they could take a page from Giffen's run where it is made clear that Larry is in fact a corpse and the Negative Spirit is what animates him.
And Jane is a mess of powers and personalities. Who knows, maybe Kay is actually older but we never get to meet her or maybe Kay doesn't age at all because she is locked away inside herself.

Oh and Cyborg somethingsomething.

One thing that I think shouldn't be overlooked is the way the time periods impact the characters. When bringing Rita and Larry off the page they naturally fit into certain time periods and said time periods are directly reflected into their characterization and stories. Cliff's origin might not be too impacted by the time it was set but because they are doing the 'grown up daughter he never got to know' angle, it kind of had to happen.
And looking at the show and its story a lot of it hinges on the past, whether it is the history of the Chief, the DP, and Mr. Nobody, or the past traumas that plague everyone. History matters a lot on The Doom Patrol.

Actually on the "Paw Patrol" episode, the archon brought out the main core personality of Kay where she was still shown as a child before her father molested her.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the newest episode, although it makes me feel worse and worse about The Chief.

That said, based off what we saw of him in Teen Titans, it's not a surprise. Even in the comics he was morally ambiguous.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
If this is the quality of the shows at DC Universe going forward then I absolutely can't wait for Swamp Thing.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that was an incredible episode. Maybe my favorite one yet.

What was The Chief referring to with his scene with Joshua?

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best superhero series and it's quite shocking to me that I feel this way. Watching all of the other ones, both DC and Marvel, I find myself waiting for some sort of showdown as the episodes go by. That's not the case with this show. The story is entertaining enough that I'm not wondering when the next fight scene or confrontation is. Excellent show. Robotman is the best.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that was an incredible episode. Maybe my favorite one yet.

What was The Chief referring to with his scene with Joshua?

I'm also interested in what he was referring to and I think The Chief is partially talking about Joshua's powers. I looked at the wiki:

" Joshua Clay can generate and radiate powerful blasts from his hands, able to melt steel. "

The other part I don't know what The Chief was referring to.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best superhero series and it's quite shocking to me that I feel this way. Watching all of the other ones, both DC and Marvel, I find myself waiting for some sort of showdown as the episodes go by. That's not the case with this show. The story is entertaining enough that I'm not wondering when the next fight scene or confrontation is. Excellent show. Robotman is the best.
Yeah, I got where I fast-forward almost every comic show but this and Gotham.
I don't want to miss a second of it, i don't even skip the intro.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's because the characters are so tragic and likeable? Obviously there's more than just that but that's why I sit there wondering when they are going to talk next instead of waiting for the next action scene

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
It's the sense of camaraderie when shit goes down and you know that these characters are so zany, but you know they need each other. The sense of being so different that that's what brings them together. The sense of, "shit..... I may hate you from time to time but we are in this together."

They've done a damn fine job of portraying that through characters interacting with each other and body language. As cool and zany as they look deep down they're still human, and that connects us to them on a personal level.

For me anyways lol.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the newest episode, although it makes me feel worse and worse about The Chief.

That said, based off what we saw of him in Teen Titans, it's not a surprise. Even in the comics he was morally ambiguous.

Based on the comics, The Chief was not morally ambiguous.
Morrison actually established that was The Chief that caused the accidents that turned them into freaks. The man is quite insane.

Last edited: