• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what other games this fixed!

seriously, is Doom VFR somehow the only SteamVR game that needed this? Because it's the only one I'm aware of that straight up doesn't run, post Google Earth launch.

OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
According to /r/oculus it's working after this patch. Personally, the trailer I saw didn't look good to me but good news for those that are interested.
Personally I'm more excited because that means Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR should work on everything once those release :)

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well there was some crazy stuffs and confusions a while ago regarding DOOM VFR not launching on Oculus Rift.

We still have no idea what is happening behind the scene, (Bethesda didn't issue any statement) but whatever the case is, the latest SteamVR beta update has been issued, and now the game can run on Oculus Rift , according to various Oculus Rift users on reddit and Steam forum. I figure this is thread-worthy to set the record straight and as an attempt to contain the misinformation.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1455089916791349578
SteamVR Beta Updated (1512101170)
1 DECEMBER - PROGRAMMER JOE
The SteamVR Beta has been updated with the following change.

General:
  • Added placeholder hidden area mesh for Rift users as a work around for Doom VFR and other titles experiencing launch issues.

If you are still skeptic, here's a video of the game running on Oculus Rift (credit to Brandon Carter)

https://uploadvr.com/doom-vfr-oclus-rift-wont-work-launch/
Update 2: An update to the SteamVR Beta notes "added placeholder hidden area mesh for Rift users as a work around for Doom VFR and other titles experiencing launch issues." We're frankly not sure what that means, but it suggests the failure of Doom VFR to launch on Rift is a temporary bug and not related to the ZeniMax lawsuit.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really hope this is a sign of Fallout 4 working with the Oculus.

It'd be really stupid for any developer to lock their games based on the hardware being used imo. It's like shooting yourself in the foot, only damaging consumers and yourself by not letting them buy your product.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the aiming feel with Touch? Games with guns and no official Rift support often have big issues where the gun sits at an unnatural angle.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it all turned out to be a big Nothing. It was far too easy to believe Bethesda did an intentional lock-out. Next up, chasing down impressions of how well it works.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Does it work if you enable audio mirroring in SteamVR, or make the Rift your primary audio playback device in windows?

Yes it does. That seems to have been the problem.

How does the aiming feel with Touch? Games with guns and no official Rift support often have big issues where the gun sits at an unnatural angle.

It's off-angle, but I've managed to adjust pretty quickly.

To add to thus question, does the game work with a forward facing setup or is 360 absolutely required? I want to get a rift and I'm not a fan of standing up.

It definitely requires you to be able to turn your body. From what I can tell, you can only move forward back and strafe left and right with the Touch controllers. Not turn.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it could also be a case of Bethesda locking it and then Valve unlocking it too.
We'll know once we see if they use the same "technique" or a device ID based blacklist for Fallout. At least it's working now. I'm hesitant to buy it until they talk about what happened, but I might play it through familyshare if it works decently well on Rift.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys doing a video about the game? Would be interesting to see what shader and geometry changes they made to make it work on PSVR, even if it's a different game than Doom 2016.
I'd like to try making a VR video. It'll be tough to compare, though, since things look so different in VR and the game itself is completely different. We shall see.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
And here we go. The OP of the "don't support Doom VFR" thread was something else, yikes. I think I'll buy a PSVR next week, for at least RE7 and Skyrim.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
To answer a question from the previous thread:

Do you have to use SteamVR if you want to publish on Steam?

No. SteamVR is actually its own process and isn't tethered to Steam, with the exception of the client being required to download the runtime (which strikes me as a little odd and is something I do think Valve should change). I should also note that the underlying one-size-fits-all API -- OpenVR -- isn't tied to Steam in any way whatsoever.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I tested it and it does work but the experience on Touch isn't great. Mainly just because the buttons aren't well mapped and it doesn't fully utilize the controllers capabilities. It's basically workable but not much more.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to try making a VR video. It'll be tough to compare, though, since things look so different in VR and the game itself is completely different. We shall see.
Let me rephrase that: I think it would just be interesting to analyze what changes they made both visually and gameplay wise in trying to adapt Doom to VR while still retaining the unmistakable art style and feeling of Doom, and it's IMO a better candidate for such a comparison than Skyrim, because Doom VFR is a made-for-VR game using existing assets, and not a straight port.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I'm not sure what those patch notes mean but I'm glad Valve pushed the update quickly. Shame about the last thread.

Even if Bethesda did intentionally block the Rift (and certain WMR headsets? ...seems unlikely), I hope this means we can count on Valve to fix issues like these when they arise, as long as developers are using SteamVR.

I would like to know what those patch notes mean, though. Really curious.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Well, I tested it and it does work but the experience on Touch isn't great. Mainly just because the buttons aren't well mapped and it doesn't fully utilize the controllers capabilities. It's basically workable but not much more.

Thanks for the info. Such a bummer for Rift users. I guess there are ways to re-assign the buttons via third party softwares?