• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Yup, this is what you can expect from the writing.

2871DD382AE06D102E2125E8F7E09018650A240F

Yes, you're playing a 4th grader but the writing is not childish at all. And the localization is good.
Oh yeah. I was surprised at the direction it tooks. Nobita can be quite aggressive and pun-heavy. But it didn't come off as off-puting despite being somewhat out-of-character compare to his actual personality. (Actually, this scene still keep his personality intact, just take the aggressive up to eleven) Well, at least I'll take this over whatever the mess that was SAO: Hollow Fragment.

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I just impulse buy this.

I'm actually on the opposite end of most people here as I've been watching Doraemon since I was a kid and am big fan, but have never touched a farm sim game, but have always been curious of the genre.

Here's hoping to no ragrets!

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first Harvest Moon/ SOTS game and it's just so good. The art style is so beautiful. Gosh. I'm so addicted.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Tried the demo, it's absolutely gorgeous and the music is good.. but I realized I don't care for farming sims :(

Have fun, everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I just impulse buy this.

I'm actually on the opposite end of most people here as I've been watching Doraemon since I was a kid and am big fan, but have never touched a farm sim game, but have always been curious of the genre.

Here's hoping to no ragrets!
Keep us updated on how you like it!

This is my first Harvest Moon/ SOTS game and it's just so good. The art style is so beautiful. Gosh. I'm so addicted.
Now this... this warms my heart <3

There's something so special about these types of games. They've been a huge source of relaxation and inner-calm for me throughout the years, especially during periods where I've struggled with anxiety or depression. Escaping to another life where everything is peaceful and within your control is soothing for the soul.

And despite my initial turnoff from the Doraemon branding, I'm finding this game to have a childlike purity to it that cranks the zen factor up to eleven. The art reminds me of some illustrated picture books I used to read as a kid, so even though I've never experienced Doraemon before, I'm still finding a degree of nostalgia because of the visuals. Excellent stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
Be warned, this game is made by a different studio to the regular SOS games and those regular games aren't nearly as pretty as this one.
I'd argue that the last SoS games made for home console were even more pretty and charming than this game, but those were Tree of Tranquillity and Animal Parade. They've kind of been working with 3DS limitations for the last decade. I'm very interested to see what the Switch's new untitled BokuMono game and Rune Factory 5 will look like.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've progressed a lot playing this whole weekend, with 16 hours clocked so far.

I'm starting to receive various quests from the townfolks too, but they're kinda challenging. The gadget quests are more manageable, and I've actually completed some of them. They're super useful. The mural quest is also pretty interesting, as it make use of various tools to interact with various objects around the island.

Deleted member 59

I've progressed a lot playing this whole weekend, with 16 hours clocked so far.

I'm starting to receive various quests from the townfolks too, but they're kinda challenging. The gadget quests are more manageable, and I've actually completed some of them. They're super useful. The mural quest is also pretty interesting, as it make use of various tools to interact with various objects around the island.

Is there a way to keep track of quests? Couldn't see anything like that in the demo.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is there a way to keep track of quests? Couldn't see anything like that in the demo.
Yes. There's a quests tab in the main menu. However, it seems that there are 2 'levels' of quests. First is small errands and they won't show up in the quests tab. Second is actual quests, though they're still just errands too (find a fossil for one NPC, get food for another one, etc).

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that the last SoS games made for home console were even more pretty and charming than this game, but those were Tree of Tranquillity and Animal Parade. They've kind of been working with 3DS limitations for the last decade. I'm very interested to see what the Switch's new untitled BokuMono game and Rune Factory 5 will look like.
? The untitled one is a remake of Friends of Mineral Town/Back to nature, they've shown it off for a while:

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the game for my GF, ended up playing it myself.

Lowkey enjoying the hell out of this.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what the key items you get from the general store does? I think it's like a special spring seed pack and something else.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Anyone know what the key items you get from the general store does? I think it's like a special spring seed pack and something else.

Those were preorder bonuses from the Japan version of the game. They were simply added as normal items in the outside-Japan release. You'll also find a set of Nobito furniture for 0 G and no material requirements at the carpenter's shop.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely having fun with the game, but it really feels like a barebones SoS/HM experience with the Doraemon window dressing.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I hate how fences are so expensive in this game. I'd love to make a proper farm with fences all around, but yeah. That's gonna be a low priority for me.

I'm definitely having fun with the game, but it really feels like a barebones SoS/HM experience with the Doraemon window dressing.
Can you elaborate on barebones part? I haven't played the latest SoS/HM games so I don't know what's missing, other than marriage, that is.

Oct 28, 2017
I hate how fences are so expensive in this game. I'd love to make a proper farm with fences all around, but yeah. That's gonna be a low priority for me.

Can you elaborate on barebones part? I haven't played the latest SoS/HM games so I don't know what's missing, other than marriage, that is.
I'll gush a bit about Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

Crops: 3oT had 82 different types of crop, flower, tree, mushroom, and bush seeds. There's Golden and Giant crops at the highest levels. The fertilizer system was much more complex with multiple types of fertilizer for different types of boosts and different ways to fertilize plants, such as filling your watering can with special fertilizer water. There are even different types of crop fields, including a paddy field for crops such as rice.

Farm: You can completely rearrange and decorate your farm in a mode where time doesn't pass. So many items to decorate with and many types of home upgrades and stylish remodels. Decorations such as Farm Circles and Combos to give awesome buffs. Three underground greenhouses. A more complex beekeeping system (though the one in Story of Seasons was better, in my opinion). Being able to store and raise fish or pearls on your farm. Many different types of Maker Machines. There are multiple types of animals to raise who can give multiple products per milking or shearing and can simultaneously produce both normal and golden quality products. There's a bevy of pet breeds to choose from, each of which could have a different "job" and a training and affection system that determines how well they do those jobs, not to mention the Soul Pet system.

Townsfolk: There are many more NPCs, and the interactions between NPCs and players is much stronger in general. They even give you a return gift if you gave them something nice the day before. Also a huge selling point to me was that you have canon family members (Dad, Mom, and Sister) who live "in the city" and visit you periodically. Your dad's brother (Uncle Frank) is the very first townie you encounter and he's a permanent resident of the first titular town.

Tools: A really good amount of tool customization, including a way to recolor them.

General Moreness: Larger personal inventory and storage. Better inventory management. More recipes. More festival days. Great foraging in multiple varieties. More wild animal friends. A huge wardrobe and many other character customization options. A robust part time job system. There's even some limited multiplayer functions and a few cool New Game+ options. The only system where Doraemon is better at all is the Mine, 牧場物語/Story of Seasons mainline games haven't had anything other than hitting cracks in the wall with a hammer for a long time. They used to have way cooler mines. Oh yeah, and eating gives you power ups! Like slowing down or speeding up time, giving you more strength, hp regen, faster walking speed, etcetera.

Not to say that Doraemon x Story of Seasons isn't a good game or that it isn't fun (I'm having a great time playing it), but it is a very basic, almost antiquated form of video game farming in comparison to the most recent Story of Seasons game. That can be a good thing, shifting the focus back to the story and core cast of characters or being more accessible for a wider audience.

Last edited:

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
I'm french and have an euro physical version - don't know from which country (spain I guess cause doraemon is very popular there ) the back of the box doesn't specify.

Amusingly : The Eu importer is based in Lyon, France, even though there is no physical release in France.

I have almost finished the first season, game is great so far. It's gorgeous and if you've played an harvest moon game you'll be right at home.

There are little events depending on where you go during the day - and it progresses the story from time to time.

Tip : when you can upgrade your tools, you can do it right away. The blacksmith upgrades the tool instantly and gives it back to you.

In other games, I seem to remember he kept it one day or two, and you couldn't water your crops for a while. So it made sense to wait for the end of season to upgrade.

Only criticism so far : the sound Noby makes while using tools is a bit high pitched and repetitive, so I made the voices quieter in the options. That solved the problem.

Have we officially confirmed yet whether the sound he makes when he performs actions can be turned off? In an old thread, someone said it was possible in the Japanese version, but it'd be great to have some definitive proof.

It's basically a dealbreaker for me if you cannot disable it. :(

Oct 28, 2017
Have we officially confirmed yet whether the sound he makes when he performs actions can be turned off? In an old thread, someone said it was possible in the Japanese version, but it'd be great to have some definitive proof.

It's basically a dealbreaker for me if you cannot disable it. :(
Yes, there are three volume sliders. One is for game music, one is for game sound effects, and the final one is for the limited voice clips in the game.

Oct 28, 2017
I heard about that slider, but does that also lower their voices during cutscenes? That would kind of be disappointing if so...
Yes, it lowers or mutes their voices during cutscenes. However, you should know that all the existent voice acting is in Japanese and it is just clips. Single word phrases such as "mornin'", "yo", "hey", character catchphrases, and grunts and groans. They're really meaningless unless you're a huge fan of the anime with Japanese voices.

The game is not fully voice acted.

You can also view any cutscene again, so if you want to hear the almost nothing the voice clips add, you can turn that slider back up and visit the mayor's house, I guess.

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
Yes, it lowers or mutes their voices during cutscenes. However, you should know that all the existent voice acting is in Japanese and it is just clips. Single word phrases such as "mornin'", "yo", "hey", character catchphrases, and grunts and groans. They're really meaningless unless you're a huge fan of the anime with Japanese voices.

The game is not fully voice acted.

You can also view any cutscene again, so if you want to hear the almost nothing the voice clips add, you can turn that slider back up and visit the mayor's house, I guess.

Oh wow, this post is super helpful information. I totally thought it was fully voice acted based off content I'd watched and clearly wasn't paying close enough attention. Thanks!

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'll gush a bit about Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

Crops: 3oT had 82 different types of crop, flower, tree, mushroom, and bush seeds. There's Golden and Giant crops at the highest levels. The fertilizer system was much more complex with multiple types of fertilizer for different types of boosts and different ways to fertilize plants, such as filling your watering can with special fertilizer water. There are even different types of crop fields, including a paddy field for crops such as rice.

Farm: You can completely rearrange and decorate your farm in a mode where time doesn't pass. So many items to decorate with and many types of home upgrades and stylish remodels. Decorations such as Farm Circles and Combos to give awesome buffs. Three underground greenhouses. A more complex beekeeping system (though the one in Story of Seasons was better, in my opinion). Being able to store and raise fish or pearls on your farm. Many different types of Maker Machines. There are multiple types of animals to raise who can give multiple products per milking or shearing and can simultaneously produce both normal and golden quality products. There's a bevy of pet breeds to choose from, each of which could have a different "job" and a training and affection system that determines how well they do those jobs, not to mention the Soul Pet system.

Townsfolk: There are many more NPCs, and the interactions between NPCs and players is much stronger in general. They even give you a return gift if you gave them something nice the day before. Also a huge selling point to me was that you have canon family members (Dad, Mom, and Sister) who live "in the city" and visit you periodically. Your dad's brother (Uncle Frank) is the very first townie you encounter and he's a permanent resident of the first titular town.

Tools: A really good amount of tool customization, including a way to recolor them.

General Moreness: Larger personal inventory and storage. Better inventory management. More recipes. More festival days. Great foraging in multiple varieties. More wild animal friends. A huge wardrobe and many other character customization options. A robust part time job system. There's even some limited multiplayer functions and a few cool New Game+ options. The only system where Doraemon is better at all is the Mine, 牧場物語/Story of Seasons mainline games haven't had anything other than hitting cracks in the wall with a hammer for a long time. They used to have way cooler mines. Oh yeah, and eating gives you power ups! Like slowing down or speeding up time, giving you more strength, hp regen, faster walking speed, etcetera.

Not to say that Doraemon x Story of Seasons isn't a good game or that it isn't fun (I'm having a great time playing it), but it is a very basic, almost antiquated form of video game farming in comparison to the most recent Story of Seasons game. That can be a good thing, shifting the focus back to the story and core cast of characters or being more accessible for a wider audience.
I see. Wow, that's quite a lot of features/addition missing from this game.

Tbh, I haven't played a HM/SoS game since the PS2/PSP ones so from what I'm seeing in here there's very little difference from the old games. In fact, there are quite a bunch of addition and QoL improvements here compared to them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the full game today after trying the demo the other day. Good lord that intro should have been like 15 minutes and not nearly as long as it was.

Edit: Okay, so what should my priorities be in terms of upgrades? Backpack first, I assume. Then stamina or tools next? And which tools in particular?

And how do I get ore for the tool upgrades?

Last edited:

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Picked up the full game today after trying the demo the other day. Good lord that intro should have been like 15 minutes and not nearly as long as it was.

Edit: Okay, so what should my priorities be in terms of upgrades? Backpack first, I assume. Then stamina or tools next? And which tools in particular?

I can't say which tool I should recommend. Depending on which one you uses the most first I guess.

You can get ore by mining.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, backpack is super useful no matter what you're going to do next. Whether it's exploring for plants, fishing, or mining, you'll need a lot of inventory space and the starting bag's is just pitiful.

After that, it all depends on you. But for me, the watering can is super useful as that's my main activity every morning, watering my plants.

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted that upgraded tools still require the same amount of stamina to use. The only difference is you'll be able to do charge moves to do your work slightly faster.

The sole exception (at least so far) is the pickaxe. Upgrading that one allows you to break progressively more durable squares in the mine.

Backpacks are also worthy upgrades, as is the first house expansion (which comes with a kitchen so you can start cooking).

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I went for the backpack upgrade first - feels much better when you can take more than a couple things on a hike.
After that I upgraded the watering can 2 times - being able to water two, then three squares for the cost of one unit of water makes watering the whole field so much easier.

I upgraded the house during the first summer - but it's a bit premature... I miss most of the ingredients for the recipes and the cooking wares are super expensive. At least I have room for furniture.

Doraemon is not happy with me when I view the ledger... I spent much more than I earned during the summer.
I'll have to be super effective in autumn with the crops and foraging, to have a bit of cash during winter.

About Noby's voice - I dropped the voice volume quite low, without totally muting it. Makes the farming noises less obnoxious and I can still hear the little voice emotes when there are cutscenes.

Deleted member 51957

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
How is this in comparison to Stardew Valley in terms of depth? Relationships? Can I totally customize my farm and make it look beautiful ? lol

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Started playing it this weekend, so good. I don't even remember a lot about Doraemon, but the characters and art style are so charming. This gave me Back to Nature vibes.

How is this in comparison to Stardew Valley in terms of depth? Relationships? Can I totally customize my farm and make it look beautiful ? lol

Not so deep. It's less deep than the latest Story of Seasons games, even. No marriages, but every citizen has a 10-level friendship value.
That said, it has some customization, but as far as I played, it was pretty much home decoration and a few items for the farm like scarecrows and statues.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017

Teriyaki Blues hit all the points necessary. It's a stripped down version of what modern day SoS games are like, without anything else really being added to it's place.

Also, I think I may have hit a bug - my horse is sick, you can give him one pack of meds every day, and I'm currently on day 4 of giving him medicine without him getting better. I guess I'm never using my horse again?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the first backpack upgrade, thankfully. And the copper pick axe as well. For the time being my routine is to get up in the morning, water the crops, then take a nap until noon or so to regain my stamina. Then off to the mines until I'm exhausted. I'm storing up ore for all the upgrades I'm gonna need.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I just went to my local game store to get a copy but they sold the last one arghh!!

How does the Switch version perform? Any blurry or jaggy mess, dropped frames/stutter or long ass loading lol?

I guess I can get on Steam too but if it's solid on Switch I would love to be able to take it on the go with me :)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone's played the demo? I mean, it could be the same on the full game...

Anyway, on my Lite, Nobita won't run downwards. All other directions are fine (even diagonals) just not downward, he'll just walk no matter how far I push the stick although he'll correctly tiptoe if I press the L Stick just slightly. Maybe my Lite is the problem (ugh!) since I remembered I had a similar problem with Pokemon LGP on a busted Joycon but I ran the system's analog sticks test and it seems fine.

Did anyone here experienced this besides myself??

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone's played the demo? I mean, it could be the same on the full game...

Anyway, on my Lite, Nobita won't run downwards. All other directions are fine (even diagonals) just not downward, he'll just walk no matter how far I push the stick although he'll correctly tiptoe if I press the L Stick just slightly. Maybe my Lite is the problem (ugh!) since I remembered I had a similar problem with Pokemon LGP on a busted Joycon but I ran the system's analog sticks test and it seems fine.

Did anyone here experienced this besides myself??
Other people have had similar issues. Calibrating your sticks might help.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I just went to my local game store to get a copy but they sold the last one arghh!!

How does the Switch version perform? Any blurry or jaggy mess, dropped frames/stutter or long ass loading lol?

I guess I can get on Steam too but if it's solid on Switch I would love to be able to take it on the go with me :)

Download the demo and try it yourself? :-)

With the right stick you can zoom in/out even tho the demo doesn't explain it (or maybe I've missed it). It looks lovely, imo. I think visually it's the best farming game/SoS/HM there is :)