• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been blowing up in the community for the last few days.

It all started when a 17 year old compLexity Gaming player from the Phillipines player named Andrei "skem" Ong, while in a tournament match against Chinese team Royal Never Give Up, wrote this in All Chat:

1.jpg

The Chinese DOTA 2 community went up in flames and demanded something to be done against the player. compLexity Gaming's response was this

We have been made aware of an inappropriate comment by one of our players in today's #coLDota #DreamLeague match. Complexity Gaming does not condone intolerance of any kind and the player will receive a formal reprimand, as well as a maximum fine.

As time went on, and neither Dreamleague(the company behind the tournament) nor Valve acted upon this, the Chinese community started to get angrier about the whole situation. Doesn't help that just a few days after the skem incident, another professional player from the Phillipines Carlo "Kuku" Palad did this on a public game:
zb754f6k6wv11.jpg

So now Chinese players, angry at the inaction of the companies involved, started to do whatever they can to show their dissatisfaction at the whole thing. From Tweets, to emails, to mass negative reviewing DOTA 2.

ezgif-com-optimize.gif

There's a whole lot more to unpack from a few Chinese players comparing that usage to calling someone a n****r to others actively using racial slurs as a "reaction".

Update:

Earlier today BurNIng published a statement he received from Valve to his followers on Chinese social media in regards to the recent incident that occurred during the DreamLeague Minor.
YDScR6F.jpg

Last edited:

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
While I completely disagree with what the players have done and the lack of official response/action from Valve and Complexity, I don't think review bombing the game is going to make a huge difference.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice if it could make Valve actually do something about the fact that it is tame by pub standard.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Skem is on the usual defense of not grasping what he did. Complexity on the other hand should be more aggressive denouncing Skems statements.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Valve has needed to fix up its in-game chat in Dota for years now.

Good to see it's finally biting them in the ass.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
While I completely disagree with what the players have done and the lack of official response/action from Valve and Complexity, I don't think review bombing the game is going to make a huge difference.

It gets awareness atleast and forces valve to hopefully act due to negative PR.

Why they would allow this is baffling at a professional standard. They want eaports to be taken, it wont with stuff like this

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Complexity said they're going to fine the player for the maximum amount allowed. Assuming they do, it sounds fine to me. They're not trying to justify what he did or sweep it under the rug. They could've fired him, sure, but maybe they want to give him another chance.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Complexity said they're going to fine the player for the maximum amount allowed. Assuming they do, it sounds fine to me. They're not trying to justify what he did or sweep it under the rug. They could've fired him, sure, but maybe they want to give him another chance.
It sounds like $2000-5000, but without any numbers it seems a little toothless.

It could be $100 for all we know.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
This is bad and I hope the companies step in soon but let's also acknowledge East Asian racism. The Chinese look down on philipinos.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Some one used a racial slur in dota? Unprecedented! /s

In all seriousness dota is a toxic cesspool. Of course valve does nothing about this, they've proven over time that they don't care about this kind of behavior in dota.

Hell, they condone it. Go find any YouTube video of sir action slacks playing a game of dota and you hear him being a toxic ass hole, then tune into the international and watch him be the face of the community.

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
The guilty parties are, in this case, the players and their teams. Valve can't really do anything else, except maybe suspend the players from any sponsored competitions. In fact, they should do just that.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (72 hours): Downplaying racism.
I apologize if anyone is offended but I honestly can't understand how this is considered racist. Definately derogatory and insulting though and the player shouldn't get a free pass especially since this is from an official tournament. Regardless, Valve has to do something about racism in their games. The current report function for text/voice abuse is completely useless.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
If it's his first incident I also think the sanction it's fine. Put him under observation and at the next incident take a bigger action.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
As usual review bombing proving to be an irrelevant tactic that only hurts devs and potential customers, and does exactly nothing productive to solve the problem. Steam desperately needs to figure out a way to prevent review bombing. I can't imagine it's ludicrously difficult to flag a massive influx of reviews for a 5+ year old game.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As usual review bombing proving to be an irrelevant tactic that only hurts devs and potential customers, and does exactly nothing productive to solve the problem. Steam desperately needs to figure out a way to prevent review bombing. I can't imagine it's ludicrously difficult to flag a massive influx of reviews for a 5+ year old game.
They have a big warning - Reviews had massive downvoting at this time and it shows a graph

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
People on reddit are extremely upset at the Chinese players and are basically dismissing the issue as Chinese all being extremely racist, so for them it evens out.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
the state of the game is worse than ever. So much bullshit toxicity and no fucks given that it turned into my least played game lately. I have over 7k hours and now i just cant handle the game and its community. Every match is just a pain to go through.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I apologize if anyone is offended but I honestly can't understand how this is considered racist. Definately derogatory and insulting though and the player shouldn't get a free pass especially since this is from an official tournament. Regardless, Valve has to do something about racism in their games. The current report function for text/voice abuse is completely useless.
It is utterly racist to Chinese people period, as bad as it can be.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana

pronk

Oct 26, 2017

Wait what? How is this not racist?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
seems like dota

i've put 1k hours into dota and maybe 1/3rd of my games had a hard R dropped at one point. Sometimes it's just even the players steam name. They don't give a fuck

Deleted member 5545

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was following for a bit but wait they want valve to ice kuku for saying "chingchong" in a pub? worse shit gets said every day including by pros, why would they expect anything here

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (72 hours): Downplaying racism, inflammatory language.
Nearly 2,000 negative reviews in 2 days. Review bombing doesn't do anything though. Them threatening not to spend any money on dota 2? Ok. Might as well play another game.

People will say anything to get them triggered. It happens all the time.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
https://old.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/9v9jfe/this_is_getting_out_of_hand_ssaspartan_with_a/

Another idiot chimes in

yl4bni25o3x11.png

SsaSpartan (@SsaSpartan)
What i was trying to prove u guys is that most of the people are not racist at all like this guy skem he just wanted to say good luck u took it to the next level.

PFFT

"Girls are watching, I'm changing it! I'm trying to change it!"

Man, why are so many esports kids so full of shit?

I mean, I know why, but you know...WHY?!?

Some one used a racial slur in dota? Unprecedented! /s

In all seriousness dota is a toxic cesspool. Of course valve does nothing about this, they've proven over time that they don't care about this kind of behavior in dota.

Hell, they condone it. Go find any YouTube video of sir action slacks playing a game of dota and you hear him being a toxic ass hole, then tune into the international and watch him be the face of the community.
It's one thing to let it go unchecked in pubs.

But this is a tournament setting. An International tournament setting, one that could very easily be televised.

Can't pull that shit on the pro circuit. This is where your money is made and you wanna act like that?

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
User banned (72 hours): Downplaying racism.
I know I'm in the minority but man these kinda things just don't bother me ! I wouldn't even call it racist, just perhaps stupid and insensitive

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Once Valve started having a hand in non-TI tournaments, they accepted responsibility for dealing with shit like this. Dude needs consequences at the tournament level.

Also, why does his tag have "JackyMao" in it? That's hella confusing.
Valve has needed to fix up its in-game chat in Dota for years now.

Good to see it's finally biting them in the ass.
Wait, what does this have to do with the chat?

Mar 17, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying racism, long history of infractions.
I know I'm in the minority but man these kinda things just don't bother me ! I wouldn't even call it racist, just perhaps stupid and insensitive
I have to agree. I just grew up in a different time. I've heard it from white, black, asian, et cetera. I believe he should be fined and reprimanded, but I just don't see the point. If he antagonizes again give him a ban. Seems pretty simple to me.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeaa..... I don't see Valve doing much, but I hope I can be surprised for once. It would be nice if they can set a precedent

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The racist comments going around on twitter replies etc sheesh, oh yeah forgot you can't be racist towards Asians! Smh, like all racism to Asians it'll be ignored quick and not much attention as racism towards other races just brushed off

Also funny reading comments denying it's racist are all coming from white people

Morgan Park

Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
The longer esports orgs recruit clearly racist/misogynist/immature kids to their teams, the more this will happen. :/

And the longer the majority of the game's fanbase doesn't care if their fav is problematic, the less the orgs will do. I don't like review bombing, but I do appreciate a stink being raised in general about this shit. Doesn't get called out enough in the games I follow.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
i was following for a bit but wait they want valve to ice kuku for saying "chingchong" in a pub? worse shit gets said every day including by pros, why would they expect anything here

Someone else said something worse so this is fine? It was still a pro player and it doesn't make Valve allowing this kind of thing ok, and the team needs to do something about it.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
That's pretty much the same as saying the N-word to african americans.

Nov 9, 2017

Man I was going to jokingly say in before people saying this isn't racist, but was beat lol

Review bombing did do something in that there is now a topic about this. Since the person affected is Asian, it will be forgotten by tomorrow though.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Valve should take action with this shit.

Honestly I think they should take action in a broad sense in pubs too, as worse shit gets dropped in pubs all the time. Yes, that would include Kuku in that pub game. I'm talking just take a Rainbow Six Siege approach to it, it would do wonders.

at least dota 2 players will read what i say in any language while this all-english forum continues to struggle with people leaping at a chance to "correct" someone haphazardly
how about you read the fucking OP and pay attention to who i was talking to bro
He made a mistake and admitted it and you're still acting like a dick about it for no real reason when you came out antagonistic in the first place.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Riot sucks (especially in light of the recent write-ups on how sexist and terrible they are), but their centralized structure for League works in their favor on stuff like this. They get to be the sole arbiters of punishment in the League, and so fans have one entity to pressure for punishment instead of this where maybe Valve will do something, or the team, or the tournament organizers, etc...

When Svenskeren did this same crap (he was using the username "TaipeiChingChong" in Taiwan while practicing), Riot fined him chump change but also suspended him from his team for their first half of games at Worlds. They didn't make it out of the group stage that year, and certainly would've done much better with their star jungler.

Valve should step up here and claim some more ownership of the scene so that there's no wishy-washy business going on with punishments.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the DOTA community will care, I mean they had this guy turn into one of their prominent casters after he said this
17n1ke1kwj34ljpg.jpg