• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Valve earned nearly $114 million by selling battlepasses, levels and cosmetics and only 25% of the earnings went to the prizepool, there are still 35 days to go until the end of the Battlepass.

This year's tournament will move to Shanghai, after starting in Cologne in 2011 followed by Seattle from 2012 to 2017 and Vancouver in 2018.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's a lot of money. Dota2 remains the esports prize pool standard-bearer.

Grats to all the participants, as everyone there is going to make great money, including last place.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy that LOL is sooo far off while being much bigger, like much much bigger.

Valve is doing a pretty good job at this.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I've not watched for the past few years but you can't fault what Valve are doing for the Dota2 pro community, actually getting decent money for their tournaments must be so refreshing in esports.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised the prize pool went up so much, isnt the userbase still roughly the same as last year?

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Crazy that LOL is sooo far off while being much bigger, like much much bigger.

Valve is doing a pretty good job at this.

Riot looks for stability on their leagues, but they just added the trend of crowdfund with the championship skins line.

Dota 2 is like Tennis on the sense of payouts, compared to the Soccer/Football/Basketball approach Riot and League has.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Riot is way more strict than Valve with leagues of tournaments.
What do you mean with stability?

Presumably that different tiers of teams can actually make a living off of LoL.

I love Valve and watching Dota 2, but for sure the prize money the T2/T3 teams get is not enough to make a living.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Riot looks for stability on their leagues, but they just added the trend of crowdfund with the championship skins line.

Dota 2 is like Tennis on the sense of payouts, compared to the Soccer/Football/Basketball approach Riot and League has.

I guess you are right, although the Soccer part only works with the MLS since everywhere else Soccer isn't franchised.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
guess this just means a million more for the winner and t2/t3 remains dead?

Since when T2-T3 teams are dead at TI? OG last year was an underdog team with a new player that had 0 experience in professional Dota 2 and they won, Wings Gaming in 2016, they didn't get an direct invite and they had to go through open and regional qualifiers and they managed to win the whole tournament. There's no such thing as T1-T2-T3- during TI, everyone can win or lose against everyone. Newbee was a finalist during TI7 and at TI8 they finished the tournament in 13th-16th place. Evil Geniuses and Team Secret are "T1 teams" but in TI7 they finished in 9th-12th place.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow Dota grew this and last year a lot.
Probably due to PUBG and CS:GO weakness and
Nah, it has little to do with other games or NA/EU gamer trends in general. I mean Fortnite killed PUBG.

The playerbase has decreased markedly in NA/EU, but those sticking around often pay more. The only thing propping them up is whales and the Asian/Russian fanbase.

DF9Obu5VoAEqdE9

This Saudi prince Archangel Yuji spends $40-50k on the game every year. Chinese billionaire families spend thousands trying to one up each other.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Since when T2-T3 teams are dead at TI? OG last year was an underdog team with a new player that had 0 experience in professional Dota 2 and they won, Wings Gaming in 2016, they didn't get an direct invite and they had to go through open and regional qualifiers and they managed to win the whole tournament. There's no such thing as T1-T2-T3- during TI, everyone can win or lose against everyone. Newbee was a finalist during TI7 and at TI8 they finished the tournament in 13th-16th place. Evil Geniuses and Team Secret are "T1 teams" but in TI7 they finished in 9th-12th place.
T2-T3 players don't make it to TI. We're talking about the players that try to make it professional full-time but can't because there isn't anything for them.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

None of those are anywhere near to T2/T3

The guys practicing every day, all year and get elimated in the last round of the TI qualifier and getting $0 is what I'm talking about

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017

The guys practicing every day, all year and get elimated in the last round of the TI qualifier and getting $0 is what I'm talking about

OG was Tier 2 at TI8.
They started at the bottom in the open qualifiers and they won the tournaments, this is what a T2 team is

T2-T3 players don't make it to TI. We're talking about the players that try to make it professional full-time but can't because there isn't anything for them.

T2 are absolutely at TI, The International was never a T1-ONLY teams since the beginning and T2-T3 teams won the tournaments as well.
Alliance was a T3 team last year, they were pretty bad despite having sponsors and shit, this year they managed to get a direct Invite at TI.

Saying that there is anything to them is bullshit, Minor tournaments are full with T2-T3 teams and they run for the whole year.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Nah, it has little to do with other games or NA/EU gamer trends in general. I mean Fortnite killed PUBG.

The playerbase has decreased markedly in NA/EU, but those sticking around often pay more. The only thing propping them up is whales and the Asian/Russian fanbase.

DF9Obu5VoAEqdE9

This Saudi prince Archangel Yuji spends $40-50k on the game every year. Chinese billionaire families spend thousands trying to one up each other.
Steam playerbase increased a ton in China because of PUBG, but those players don't play PUBG anymore.
So of course I'm not talking about US Or EU players here, but PUBG has a lot to do with it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought fortnite had a 100 million prize pool before? So how is 30 million the biggest

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure how their pay is structured but actual Tier 2 teams have sponsorship. They have gear and monthly salary. They are not going zero dollars for the year. Tier 3 teams is the issue like young players who have to choose between say school or pro Tier 3 with no gear and no salary. The money is not good either way because the T2-3 tournaments outside of China are basically non-existent or like $100.

If you aren't on a top team and you aren't streaming or casting, I mean you have to use every available income source, not just winning.

This dog-eat-dog method is how Valve pays their employees too, so it's kind of in their DNA. Top dog earners get all the bonuses. If your team isn't producing profit you don't get the bonuses - just base salary
Steam playerbase increased a ton in China because of PUBG, but those players don't play PUBG anymore.
So of course I'm not talking about US Or EU players here, but PUBG has a lot to do with it.
They don't play Dota either.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
OG was Tier 2 at TI8.
They started at the bottom in the open qualifiers and they won the tournaments, this is what a T2 team is

T2 are absolutely at TI, The International was never a T1-ONLY teams since the beginning and T2-T3 teams won the tournaments as well.
Alliance was a T3 team last year, they were pretty bad despite having sponsors and shit, this year they managed to get a direct Invite at TI.

Saying that there is anything to them is bullshit, Minor tournaments are full with T2-T3 teams and they run for the whole year.

OG had won 5 majors....

I guess we just have a vastly different understanding of tiers

Nov 3, 2017
Seriously. Would help the games anemic offering of female heroes. Barely 20 out of 115 isn't great.

Anyway, looking forward to TI! (And bot TI)

I'd never realised exactly how low it is damn

I'd rather they just make new heroes, the Kid Invoker already feels like a step too far but if they've already begun might as well right

Give me female Kunkka stat!

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
OG won 5 major with a completely different team

2018 OG had a new player with 0 professional experience.

3 of them were already proven as some of the best players in the world

of course it was a surprise win, I still think it's crazy to call them T2

Sounds like the typical hyberbole to me, everyone who isn't currently winning tournaments left and right is T2/T3

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Does Fortnite prize pool come from fans too? I think that's the most impressive feat about Dota 2 TI prize pool each year.

Exactly. There are minor tournaments held all over the world for the whole year.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The NA qualifier Forward Gaming went bankrupt even with TI9 money on the horizon. Couldn't pay their players or stay afloat.