• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
Fallout-76-Double-Eleven-1536x864.png

Adventure awaits in The Wastelands of Fallout 76

At Double Eleven we've made a name working with some of the biggest developers and publishers in the world. We are excited to be able to announce publicly that we've recently begun working with Bethesda Game Studios to create new challenges for players of Fallout 76. Since its release in 2018, Fallout 76 has invited players from all over the world to create a unique Dweller, leave The Vault and explore the many wonders and challenges of The Wasteland of Appalachia.
Bethesda and Double Eleven began speaking in late 2020, and since then we've worked together on a host of exciting new content that will be enjoyed by this passionate community of fans later in 2022.
"It's a privilege to be trusted to work on one of the most iconic franchises in gaming history." Double Eleven CEO, Lee Hutchinson, said "The team we've assembled to work on Fallout 76 are so passionate about the series, working with Bethesda is a dream come true."
We've loved working on this game so far, and from small beginnings our team is expanding as we plan to develop more content in the future so keep an eye on our careers page for more information on open roles across all disciplines.

Last edited:

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Cool. I wonder if they'll outsource development of all new content/seasons of Fallout 76 to free the team and make them start a new project.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I haven't played FO76, but this seems like great news to me that it's been going on for a while. Content they have been working on throughout 2021 and into 2022, perhaps as helpers for The Pitt expansion? Outsourcing content for a live service game like FO76 seems wise, especially if resources within BGS are shifted to Starfield. I think that's why they had conversations in 2020 about onboarding an external company, to account for the production timeline of the marquee title.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My running-on-three-hours-of-sleep brain read that as Seven Eleven and I was really fucking confused for a moment.

On-topic: cool to see this game still getting support years after release. I'm not really a fan of BGS-style gameplay, and the survival elements in this game don't do much for me, but I occasionally get the itch to go back to this and just explore some more.

Last edited:

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
This must be a somewhat significant amount of outsourcing to be worth negotiating over for a year and a half. But this is awesome! Two of the titles on their website they've most recently worked on are Minecraft Dungeons and Crackdown 3, so it seems like this team is really building a niche as a contract studio for Xbox.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This must be a somewhat significant amount of outsourcing to be worth negotiating over for a year and a half. But this is awesome! Two of the titles on their website they've most recently worked on are Minecraft Dungeons and Crackdown 3, so it seems like this team is really building a niche as a contract studio for Xbox.
Negotiations don't seem to be going on for a year and a half, they started in late 2020 and were probably on boarded by 2021 and simply have been working on said content since then. It's just being announced now.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
If it means pace of content improves, I'm all for it. Things have slowed down in the past year considerably and folks were concerned they were preparing to sunset the game.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, still working my way through the game but it's a blast these days.

Is this because Bethesda Austin is full time on Starfield so someone's gotta work on 76?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
That's great, still working my way through the game but it's a blast these days.

Is this because Bethesda Austin is full time on Starfield so someone's gotta work on 76?

Folks for a while have been guessing that there wasn't much left of the 76 team. Most have already been pulled off for other projects and their content pipeline in the last year has been really slow, and they keep delaying and cancelling plans for content. Stuff announced just keeps going away with no word of it ever happening.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

There has been some job posting a while ago for an unannounced project at Bethesda Austin and I wonder if they're working on Starfield Online or a DLC along those lines that'll release after the single-player game.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I want to get into 76 but every time I start, I think "I should finally give Fallout 4 a shot". Then, when I go to play Fallout 4, I think "I could really do with playing with New Vegas again". And then I play New Vegas.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
For a hot second, I thought this was the This War of Mine folks (which turned out to be 11 bit studios), which woulda been wild.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
i confused double eleven with double fine and I was so confused lol
Thought that was a weird choice

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It sounds like they might have been doing work already for them a while, wonder if this means they are getting even bigger role if they are just now announcing this?

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Native next gen version please. The game is vastly more playable at 60fps, but the resolution is very low on Series X.

I love the base building in this game and would love to come back. Would have to start again though, as I have migrated from PS4 to Series X. Cross save would also be a life saver, I have over 1k hours on PS4!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this wouldn't surprise me, no way Microsoft wants Bethesda to sit on an IP like Fallout for too long.

There's only so much that can be done, because a new Fallout in any hands is going to be enormous, and I'm not sure the Fallout 76 team alone would be enough to make a true Fallout 5.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
They failed badly early on rust launch, not much confidence in d11.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
There has been some job posting a while ago for an unannounced project at Bethesda Austin and I wonder if they're working on Starfield Online or a DLC along those lines that'll release after the single-player game.
If I had to make a guess, their unannounced project is a remake of fallout 3 or fallout New Vegas in CE2. Theyre absolutely not going to be trusted with a full original fallout game without having done a full project themselves first (they did the online part of 76 while the main studio did all the world stuff).

Its kind of like how when bethesda acquired the studio that became BGS montreal, they had them port Skyrim to the fallout 4 engine to get them used to all the tools and everything.

Whatever happens though, no way theyre making fallout 5. That wont be handled by anyone but the main studio.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
It sounds like they might have been doing work already for them a while, wonder if this means they are getting even bigger role if they are just now announcing this?

They will surely get a bigger role as the Fallout team is hiring.

My prediction: by looking at their recent games and their presentation on their website, they're the ones working on the next-gen upgrade (even though it was said last month to be a "long-term plan" so it's may not be coming anytime soon). It's quite a big studio.

In July 2021 Gardiner said that people were going to be able to help them with this so I would guess it's not done in-house:

Jeff: *laughs* We get asked that every interview, don't worry! It's still not on an official road map but it is actively being planned. We have a group of folks that are going to be able to help us do this. So, sometime in the future we hope to do this. We look at Fallout 76 like it's going to be around for several, several more years so clearly we would be smart to keep it updated for newer consoles.

Seems like they're also handling the Nuka-World update (from someone on Reddit):

Nuka World on Tour is marked with lots of "d11" prefix tags on their physical files