• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Leaves in good spirits:

unknown.png

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Good for him, if thats what he really wants. It would've been sad to not see him make another game.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Well, he went from making Downwell on his own to working for a huge corporation so it doesn't surprise me too much. Can't wait for whatever he cooks up.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It is rather easy to imagine the transition going from being largely self reliant on the direction your game takes to a cog in a well oiled machine isn't for everyone.

Good luck to him with his next project.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Didn't even know Nintendo hired him last year. That's pretty cool but that kind of job wouldn't be for everyone, either. Hope he gets to make another great game soon.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Undertandable that the change of work culture didn't work for him.

Shame that there are probably a thousand NDAs stopping him from telling the story. Would be quite interesting to read.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I wonder what he worked on there, maybe we'll find out once - what ever it was - is released. It must be incredibly hard going from a 1 man indie team to working in a huge corporation.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I remember being surprised when he first joined Nintendo. I cant imagine the kind of transition he had from independent to giant corporation. Looking forward to what he creates next!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol that was fast. wishing him good luck, going from being an independent indie dev to working for a big, secretive company isn't something that would be easy for everyone
i wonder if we'll see his name in the credits for a future nintendo game

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I'd probably have the same since I'm not that orderly. Probably prefers doing his own thing, his own way in his own pace.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looking forward to seeing what he's working on, Downwell is amazing

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
wonder what happened to his efforts with UF050

was it abandoned, or did he stay the course

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how much he could make from delivering a good indie title on something like the Switch .....I can't really blame him.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Did he mention if any game he worked on has come out?

Japans indie scene has been growing a lot more the last few years. It's a good time to get in on it before there's a flood of people cluttering the market up with trash.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Well I look forward to whatever new game he makes, hopefully he has learned new things from working at Nintendo!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo: "You made a video game? That's cute. You can start in the mail room on Monday." But seriously, climbing the corporate ladder within Nintendo must be soul crushing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so i talked to my uncle and apparently everyone is happy that he's leaving, says he was an "asshole" (his words).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why did even decide to work at Nintendo? For the lulz?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Why did even decide to work at Nintendo? For the lulz?

Stable paycheck, being part of a team as opposed to doing everything your self, not at risk of being homeless if your indie game isn't a mega hit. I can totally get why someone might take the leap from indie to working for the machine.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who wouldn't at least try it out if gotten a shot at Nintendo ? It wasn't for him so he moved on.
I just don't get it when Downwell AFAIK is very successful that probably nets him more money than he could ever make at Nintendo. Why wouldn't you want to continue be independent and make whatever you want when you're able to do so.

I guess he's just a huge Nintendo fanboy at heart and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stable paycheck, being part of a team as opposed to doing everything your self, not at risk of being homeless if your indie game isn't a mega hit. I can totally get why someone might take the leap from indie to working for the machine.

Why do you need a stable paycheck when your own creation more than likely grossed over a million dollars and most of it is going into your own pockets?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need a stable paycheck when your own creation more than likely grossed over a million dollars and most of it is going into your own pockets?
Because having a stable paycheck, being part of a bigger team and working for one of the leading companies in the industry can lead to a more relaxed and pleasant life as opposed to feeling the complete stress of having to everything on your own.

But the creator prefers being independent, so all the best. There's no wrong decisions here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

1) you still have all the expenses that went into making a game. If you had to borrow money a lot of that revenue probably doesn't end up in your pocket.

2) you get hit hard by taxes at that kind of income

3) you can burn through that money pretty quickly if you don't manage it well

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because having a stable paycheck, being part of a bigger team and working for one of the leading companies in the industry can lead to a more relaxed and pleasant life as opposed to feeling the complete stress of having to everything on your own.

But the creator prefers being independent, so all the best. There's no wrong decisions here.
Wasting a year at Nintendo was probably a wrong decision, considering he quit.

1) you still have all the expenses that went into making a game. If you had to borrow money a lot of that revenue probably doesn't end up in your pocket.

Have you seen Downwell

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
From what I can understand Nintendo won't give a Team or a studio to newly hired employees, even if they were high profile in the industry.

They'd rather do that to their own employees who climb their way to the top.

So I can understand why he didn't want to stay.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Im curious to see what he does next. He did games for UFO 50 so that'll be the next released thing from him.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen Downwell
The development of Downwell is actually very interesting, since it was his thirteenth indie project (he was doing a gamejam a week after graduating from an opera school) and only had better exposure when Digital Devolver picked it up for publishing after they saw it in an article about the Japanese indie scene.

That said, considering he changed from years of doing that to game development, I don't think he sees his year at Nintendo as anything wasted either.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Nintendo has hard control over there game development isn't anything new. Sometimes they push people to bring out there best and sometimes it pushes them over the edge.

Some people like it and some don't. If you are a self-made indie developer, getting into a big business may not be to your liking.

I hope, we get his full story.