• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
64 year old Yuji Horii, creator of the multi-hundred-million selling series Dragon Quest, secretly had an affair 20 years ago with a staff member on the series. Due to Japan's specific infidelity laws, after 5 years of court battles he reached a settlement worth thousands of dollars with his wife and yet they continued on with life as a married couple.

In 2016, he divorced his long-time wife. Last year, he married that same women he had an affair with all those years ago - but did the affair ever end? Horii has finally opened up on the subject in an interview with Japan's Shukan Shincho magazine.

"So it wasn't a '20 year affair.' After that happened, we were together just as friends for a long time. Partners at work without any romantic intentions."

Horii's new wife was credited with various roles over the years, mainly as a tester. Most recently, she was credited in DQIX's 'Special Thanks' section.

Armor Project's exact staff and circumstances are kept relatively private, but Yuji Horii's daughter from his former wife is credited as a member. To make things even more peculiar, his ex-wife is also listed as an employee.

"I honestly didn't want to make anyone sad. There was a kind of indecisiveness.. At least from here on I want to try to do things to make people around me happy. Paying my ex-wife $10m too, that was because I thought maybe it would make her feel even a little less sad. Other people's happiness is your own happiness."

Source (Japanese): https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20181107-00551508-shincho-ent

edit: note - I used $10m USD as a shorthand conversion from 1 billion yen.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
51? He looks way older than that. Yep looks like wiki says he's 64

MrNineties

Oct 27, 2017
10Mil in Yen is about 85K USD. He couldn't possibly be worth enough to be shelling 10Mil USD could he?

Himemomoko

Aug 29, 2018
The first sentence is incorrect. Horii is 64 now and his current wife is 51.

EDIT: oh it has been editted.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I read the title and thought it was some kind of confusing joke about him marrying the whole team...

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the point of this article, are they going to talk about Druckmann's sex life next? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I approve of denouncing the fact that Sugiyama is a genocide negationist, but these are quite mild and very personal affairs (literally) in comparison.

Edit: oh, wait, it's just Yahoo, thought it was a video game outlet.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, an affair. Someone call the Pope. Indecent sure, "problematic" like Sugiyama? Hardly.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase DQXI for either system, nor will they purchase any DQ games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hori has alienated an entire market with this move.

Horii, publicly apologize and re-marry your ex-wife or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
picard.png
depravity knows now bounds with this series

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cheating is commonplace. Always has been and always will be. You will find any problems every where if this bothers you. Monogamy is a social construct that goes against our primitive biological urges.
It's not a social construct at all. Monogamy is a successful reproductive strategy to pair bond and raise children. But I fear this might be very very off topic.... :P

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it turns out Akira Toriyama was also a scummy person I'm burning my copy of Dragon Ball FighterZ.