1. Jeeeeeeeeez.

2. Hoot

Hoot

What an odd story. Although quite honestly, nothing to be riled up about (no abuse or anything). Cheating sucks but if anything, often it's part of life. Unhappy/changnig love is not what I would call "problematic"

3. Spyder_Monkey

Spyder_Monkey

Meh, could be worse.

4. It is a successful strategy. but it goes completely against human male reproductive urges. I only brought this up because the person I replied to called it problematic. Cheating is a scummy thing to do, but I consider it a personal issue separate from your career unless it has some implied moral standards you should uphold.

Exactly.

5. Choppasmith

Choppasmith

It really sucks, I grew up playing FF starting with I, but as the series went on it got further and further away from what I loved about the series in the first place. I gravitated to DQ because of this (and FF was originally a DQ ripoff anyway). But damn, it sucks things have to be so problematic between niche obscurity in the West and problematic staffers. DQ just can’t get a break (outside it’s popularity and success in Japan).

While it’s hardly enough for me to drop the series or anything, I really thought Horii was the decent guy. Such a shame :/

6. Hecht

Hecht
    Welp Administrator

Updated the title so it doesn't seem like Horii was marrying hundreds of people

7. lunarwhale

lunarwhale

i know people are just clowning around but also, gonna go out on a limb and say "cheated on wife in non-continuous affair twenty years ago; later divorced her and married another person" shouldn't be considered to be on the same level as "denies japan's war crimes and actively promotes extreme right wing bigotry"

8. BocoDragon

BocoDragon

Hmm.. I might actually agree with that.

9. Razgriz417

Razgriz417

made his work wife his legal wife?

10. Hours Left

Hours Left

Dreams crushed.

11. Parfait

Parfait

TBH though I'd marry hundreds of people if they were ok with it. Think of the benefits! The healthcare. Being a small community!

Seems like it was a cleaner break than I thought it would be, at least.

12. Kanann

Kanann

The way it wrote somehow sound adorable as hell lol

13. louisacommie

louisacommie

Yeah the least problematic big guy involved is toriyama

And even he used blackface in his non dragon quest work

14. Aokiji

Aokiji

10/10 first post

15. bonkasaurus

bonkasaurus

If by won you mean hasn't put out a good game in years, then yes. Final Fantasy absolutely "won".

16. Boiled Goose

Boiled Goose

Cheating seems like a personal matter?

Any context for why this is gaming news?

17. Harald23

Harald23
    Banned Member

?

18. Danthrax

Danthrax
    Resettlement Advisor Member

Copy editors are horribly underappreciated in our society

19. Aeana

Aeana

20. GrayFoxPL

GrayFoxPL

But who's the waifu?

21. Damn, I hate cheaters.

Disappointed.

22. KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

He's a tax evader.

23. Nemesis162

Nemesis162

How the personal life of a person have to do with a game? He cheated, that's wrong but not even on the level to feel in such way. For Sugiyama is understandable but Horii? If we go by cheating, I think you guys won't be a fan of many people of this and other industries because that's not uncommon at all. Or hell, your parents, friends and many people.

Exactly.

Toriyama is a tax-invader. Horii is the actual one without a problematic background because y'know, this is his personal life.

24. Heyrule

Heyrule

Cheating on your wife is so par the course in this country I’m usually more surprised when someone tells me they haven’t cheated on their spouse.

25. Cordy

Cordy

Cracking up. Never have I heard of anyone flexing through a divorce. Fuck.

26. Thuddert

Thuddert

Change the title, c'mon.

27. pokéfan

pokéfan

I am not disappointed entering this thread, I knew someone would bring up the Japanese culture.

28. jayu26

jayu26

Isn't this how Persona 4 started? So Persona vs Dragon Quest confirmed?

29. *cue Young and the Restless music*

30. Deepwater

Deepwater

the game is the game

31. Megawarrior

Megawarrior

I thought he was about 15 years older than that.

32. You think the Dragon Quest XI score played at his second wedding?

33. Rumblebones

Rumblebones

He created Dragon Ball Super so burn away.

34. Jessie

Jessie

So he was in love with a beta tester? No wonder Dragon Quest VII was so padded.

35. Nemesis162

Nemesis162

Oh jesus.

36. Rumblebones

Rumblebones

Don't invoke Jesus on this.

Not even he would die for that particular sin.

37. Notaskwid

Notaskwid

Only time I've been cheated on was in Japan, it's a thing.

38. Council Pop

Council Pop

If cheating on a spouse and then getting divorced is now “problematic” then I better cut ties with literally the entirety of my extended family.

39. Sage

Sage
    Member OP

Thanks - I added a note to clarify the $10m is a conversion to USD.

40. NathanS

NathanS

I guess maybe how bad he is with writing women? There is that time he did a one-off "comedic" rape story for Shonen Jump. But he is far from alone in that one, a bunch of people involved with publishing the magazine had to go "Yeah women getting rape IS funny and seems like a thing we should show to young boys"

41. Hasn't cheating always been "problematic"? Like, okay, I might not agree 100% with a few things that are considered "problematic" around here but still cheating is not something that you're supposed to do.

42. Sage

Sage
    Member OP

Basically when you marry someone in Japan you enter a legal contract to remain faithful to them. If you break that contract, you can be sued by your former partner. Interestingly they can also sue the other person in the affair 'as long as a reasonable person in his or her circumstances would have known' you were married.

"Furthermore, these damages can be claimed completely independently from whether the couple files for divorce or not. Therefore, it is possible for a wife to sue the mistress of her husband while still continuing to stay married." As in this case.

Source: https://oharalaw-japan.com/2016/10/03/possible-sue-someone-adultery-japan/

43. This law sounds ripe for abuse.

44. entremet

entremet

Damn! Horii is making dat cash lol. I think the key here is that owns or co-owns the property right? He's not a company man like most big Japanese developers such as Miyamoto.

45. You know what

I like you

I like you and your avatar

You are an okay person with this poast

46. ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

According to Toriyama he doesn't bother with that stuff at all and it's his assistant that does it.
    If it was anyone else that used that excuse I wouldn't believe it, but Toriyama is notoriously lazy so it's hilariously believable.
    He claims he didn't even know about it and that's the most hilariously Toriyama thing ever.

47. Prof Bathtub

Prof Bathtub

Alas, the interviewer saw through his clever Mamoru Oshii disguise.

48. ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

They got this man taking out his trash, shit is hilarious.

49. UsoEwin

UsoEwin

It happens, a lot. People change, people fall out of love. In a perfect world the relationship would end before getting to the point of cheating, but that is not how human emotions work. Cheating is bad, it hurts people all around. But calling it "problematic" and taking some moral high stance is ridiculous. It's just a facet of life.

50. Outrun

Outrun

Secret lovers