• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This is an unfortunate and sad mistake on his part no doubt. I don't like anybody getting hurt in this manner but we don't know all the details so let's not jump to the conclusion that he is scum of the earth.

Deleted member 47619

I never really like how Dragon Quest relies so heavily on Auteur Theory. Not only is it misleading but it creates this myth surrounding how Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama are prefect creative genesis that can't do no wrong. Viewing other people as such never ends well...

Sep 7, 2018
This is weird to me to see like a scandal type thing posted about a game industry person. Thought the press and general public didn't really care about game makers personal lives compared to celebrities and government officials.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
10Mil in Yen is about 85K USD. He couldn't possibly be worth enough to be shelling 10Mil USD could he?

I don't know about this individual person, but people at the top of their game in video game development are making a lot more money than you seem to presume they are. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to hear that the creator of a very successful series would pay out a 10m USD divorce settlement.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Of course the creator of Dragon Quest has more than $10m. Like way more.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to read what kinda of scandalous stories Kojima has

We seem to know zero info about his personal life beside her had a son who wanted to play Smash Bros

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
This seems like a topic we should discuss in detail about.

(Not thread whining, just curious why the personal lives of game developers should be discussed in a video game forum).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The reason I found this story actually was because of people retweeting it with comments like 'This is so disappointing..' 'I even idolized him from my childhood..' etc. Recently some major celebrities have been forced into basically early retirement due to cheating scandals etc. But I can't see it affecting Horii really - SE can't/won't force him to stop working on the series he owns and he's not so much of a 'public figure' compared to singers, actors, etc.

A lot of celebrities gets a comeback by coming clean. Their personal lives is just a cog in the entertainment industry. Unless you're suspected of doing drugs, cheating is not that big of a deal career-wise. Even opens up opportunities

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never really like how Dragon Quest relies so heavily on Auteur Theory. Not only is it misleading but it creates this myth surrounding how Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama are prefect creative genesis that can't do no wrong. Viewing other people as such never ends well...
To be fair you don't usually see a videogame IP literally owned by individuals. Usually the publisher owns everything, so Horii is kinda a special case. DQ is his baby, not SE's, but his.

Oct 29, 2017
I imagine that this is super common in Japan (as it is everywhere else in the world), but it only seems fitting that everyone within the "DQ Creator Trinity" is marred by some sort of controversy now.

I doubt that this'll affect his standing within S-E though. I'm sure they're all at it.

And if Sugayama and Toriyama haven't affected the series in Japan, I doubt this will either.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Paying my ex-wife $10m too, that was because I thought maybe it would make her feel even a little less sad. Other people's happiness is your own happiness
Cheating is unforgivable, but at least this is a good attitude to have.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, lucky wife, USD 10mil would certainly make me feel "little less sad".

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
More concerned about Sugiyama's horrible views than I am Horii's tangled love life, honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The real villain of this story are the japanese marriage laws. The guy didn't fuck prostitutes while doing cocaine. He has married the other woman after 20 years, he just fell in love.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol infidelity happens every day with many people in every big company in the world

as long as there's no physical violence, it's not a big deal

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Kind of iffy on bosses getting it on with their employees. There are too many potential red flags in that power dynamic that complicate consent, regardless of whether or not they married 20 years later. The implication of getting fired or having your career hindered if you reject their advances looms over that entire relationship.

Deleted member 47619

To be fair you don't usually see a videogame IP literally owned by individuals. Usually the publisher owns everything, so Horii is kinda a special case. DQ is his baby, not SE's, but his.

Even though guys like Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama own those companies, they have a lot of people working along side them.

For example a lot of Dragon Quest art isn't drawn by Toriyama, instead they are drawn by multiple artist that draw similar/trained in his style(they are usually hired by Toriyama company). Even the current art we see today isn't drawn by him. Also, during the early days, Horii would just give vague hints to Nakamura and he would have to figure out what Horii wants by mostly himself. Now Horii has a bunch of assistant writers who work along side him. He might have the final say, but he's not the one coming up with every single idea.

You can read more of Horii and Nakamura's work related relationship here: http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestiii/

So the truth is that Dragon Quest is developed by a lot of people, not just those three. Not only that, they change development teams for the mainline games every so often. I do agree that they have influence over the series' identity in someway(even though I'm not too found with the series' ties with Sugiyama). However, I think this auteur theory preservative tends to erase the hard work everyone else has done. Especially considering that these people lack the celebrity status that Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the point of this article, are they going to talk about Druckmann's sex life next? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I approve of denouncing the fact that Sugiyama is a genocide negationist, but these are quite mild and very personal affairs (literally) in comparison.

Edit: oh, wait, it's just Yahoo, thought it was a video game outlet.

You complained so much about everything, yet, you are here.

As I said in another thread, some people here just hate for the sake of hating. And another poster said that I was in 4chan when I said that some people call this forum a hate group...

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You complained so much about everything, yet, you are here.

As I said in another thread, some people here just hate for the sake of hating. And another poster said that I was in 4chan when I said that some people call this forum a hate group...
Yo what? I complained about the article going over someone's personal life tabloid-like, not about the thread. Also, "hate"? I'm not hating on anyone buddy.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest shock for me here is you can be a multi-millionaire from creating a hit videogame franchise. Books/manga, I get it, but how does that work?

Edit: Oh - a quick google reveals that he owns the game studio.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of iffy on bosses getting it on with their employees. There are too many potential red flags in that power dynamic that complicate consent, regardless of whether or not they married 20 years later. The implication of getting fired or having your career hindered if you reject their advances looms over that entire relationship.
We don't even know who made the first move.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I fail to see what peoples private lives are to do with me on a video game forum. Might just be me though. It's totally irrelevant who someone is sleeping with or not or married to or not married or divorced etc. Again might just be me. 1. I am not the Moral Police. 2. I don't give a monkeys.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see what peoples private lives are to do with me on a video game forum. Might just be me though. It's totally irrelevant who someone is sleeping with or not or married to or not married or divorced etc. Again might just be me. 1. I am not the Moral Police. 2. I don't give a monkeys.
It's just a funny topic dude, if you dont care why are you posting in it?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
And yet here you are...

Deleted member 3894

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Special Thanks"
for **puff puff**
E8DD7A08453AC5FBAB83CF3D7A5FC911F4527BFF

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
And yet here you are...
I am indeed. I saw the thread, read the op, saw some of the posts and I made one myself. Almost as if I was on a forum. It wasn't a drive by. It was a legit post. I was calling into question what business the thread had at all being on a video game forum - and if you can't do that within the thread itself I am not sure where you can. Pop it on over in EtcetEra where people's private lives are discussed freely - no problem.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am indeed. I saw the thread, read the op, saw some of the posts and I made one myself. Almost as if I was on a forum. It wasn't a drive by. It was a legit post. I was calling into question what business the thread had at all being on a video game forum - and if you can't do that within the thread itself I am not sure where you can. Pop it on over in EtcetEra where people's private lives are discussed freely - no problem.
This forum is not just for the games themselves, we also discuss figures in the industry and other side topics. If you can't comprehend the fact that this is about a head developer of a massive franchise doing something funnily stupid, and therefor video game forum related, then you should think a bit harder. you're making a fuss over something that happens all the time. You don't decide what is "video game" enough lmao.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This forum is not just for the games themselves, we also discuss figures in the industry and other side topics. If you can't comprehend the fact that this is about a head developer of a massive franchise doing something funnily stupid, and therefor video game forum related, then you should think a bit harder. you're making a fuss over something that happens all the time. You don't decide what is "video game" enough lmao.
If it had anything even tangentially related to the said video game then I would agree with you. Take out 'DQ Creator' and it's a nothing story about nothing to do with video games or the related topics. It's some people's private lives is all. You can see it's not really a hotbed of interest - with it only being 4 pages so I assume no one else cares much like I don't. I am not saying close it, I am not saying you can't have it, I am not saying you can't talk about it. I am saying it's not video game related at all in any way. It's gossip on peoples private lives. By all means gossip away. By replying twice I've given it more thought than it deserves and I'll leave it there.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though guys like Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama own those companies, they have a lot of people working along side them.

For example a lot of Dragon Quest art isn't drawn by Toriyama, instead they are drawn by multiple artist that draw similar/trained in his style(they are usually hired by Toriyama company). Even the current art we see today isn't drawn by him. Also, during the early days, Horii would just give vague hints to Nakamura and he would have to figure out what Horii wants by mostly himself. Now Horii has a bunch of assistant writers who work along side him. He might have the final say, but he's not the one coming up with every single idea.

You can read more of Horii and Nakamura's work related relationship here: http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestiii/

So the truth is that Dragon Quest is developed by a lot of people, not just those three. Not only that, they change development teams for the mainline games every so often. I do agree that they have influence over the series' identity in someway(even though I'm not too found of the series' ties with Sugiyama). However, I think this auteur theory preservative tends to erase the hard work everyone else has done. Especially considering that these people lack the celebrity status that Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama have.

How do you know when it's Toriyama doing it then?