• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Bit off topic, but what happened in Japan overnight today? Tabata leaving Square, company takes hige write off on the DLC, this dude with this drama. Never woke up with this kind of craziness from Japan before.

Oct 25, 2017
Relationships are complicated and I really question the relationship experience of anyone here condemning his actions.

Jul 24, 2018
This sounds like a plot to a NTR show lol.
large.jpg

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
It happens, a lot. People change, people fall out of love. In a perfect world the relationship would end before getting to the point of cheating, but that is not how human emotions work. Cheating is bad, it hurts people all around. But calling it "problematic" and taking some moral high stance is ridiculous. It's just a facet of life.
Being casual about it is equally problematic.

Deleted member 47619

How do you know when it's Toriyama doing it then?

Because the art style differs a lot if you look closely. Even though they are expected to draw like Toriyama, there are notable differences.
For example, this is Toriyama's art.
toriyama_by_amabilis999-dcrixe6.png

This is the new current art style, not drawn by Toriyama.
new_art_by_amabilis999-dcrixkv.png

An example of art from Legend in the Dark. It's a collection of short stories that was release in 1990. The art in this book was drawn by various artist:
legend5_by_amabilis999-dcrixzk.png

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the art style differs a lot if you look closely. Even though they are expected to draw like Toriyama, there are notable differences.
For example, this is Toriyama's art.
toriyama_by_amabilis999-dcrixe6.png

This is the new current art style, not drawn by Toriyama.
new_art_by_amabilis999-dcrixkv.png

An example of art from Legend in the Dark. It's a collection of short stories that was release in 1990. The art in this book was drawn by various artist:
legend5_by_amabilis999-dcrixzk.png

I mean, this new artstyle is literally what Jaco and other of his manga had which is what we see for Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest. Toriyama changed his style various times.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
"I honestly didn't want to make anyone sad. There was a kind of indecisiveness.. At least from here on I want to try to do things to make people around me happy. Paying my ex-wife $10m too, that was because I thought maybe it would make her feel even a little less sad. Other people's happiness is your own happiness."

But are other people's ten million my ten million too?

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
While 10 million $ is a nice gesture, if you cheat on me... I'll probably want to kill you.

Deleted member 47619

I mean, this new artstyle is literally what Jaco and other of his manga had which is what we see for Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest. Toriyama changed his style various times.

Toriyama's art style has changed over the years but the fact still stands that the official art from games like Dragon Quest XI or any of the DS remakes are not his. The thing is that Toriyama rarely draws anything for Dragon Quest these days. I get the impression that he rarely shows his art to the public any more (I'm still fact checking though). A lot of art for the series is mostly done by his assistants (they use art techniques that are different from his). Even to this day, his art hasn't actually changed much since the early 90's.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
From the OP:

"So it wasn't a '20 year affair.' After that happened, we were together just as friends for a long time. Partners at work without any romantic intentions."

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase DQXI for either system, nor will they purchase any DQ games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hori has alienated an entire market with this move.

Horii, publicly apologize and re-marry your ex-wife or you can kiss your business goodbye.

As a lady from Japan I don't think you realize just how big Dragon Quest in Japan is. Something like this absolutely will not affect sales. Many turn a blind eye on Sugiyama and this is no different. Even if he weren't as popular someone wouldn't be so ostracized over this.

Oct 27, 2017
Monogamy was a mistake.

As a lady from Japan I don't think you realize just how big Dragon Quest in Japan is. Something like this absolutely will not affect sales. Many turn a blind eye on Sugiyama and this is no different. Even if he weren't as popular someone wouldn't be so ostracized over this.

It's a copy pasta meme from the old forums people exodused from.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I think cheating is terrible and I feel this deserves a thread in the gaming forum, but I also really hope people aren't trying to draw genuine comparisons to this affair and Sugiyama's behavior.

Even if only for the fact that at least Horii is trying to make ammends for his actions.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This seems like a topic we should discuss in detail about.

(Not thread whining, just curious why the personal lives of game developers should be discussed in a video game forum).
Who they are informs the games they make. It would be weirder if we couldn't discuss it.

Of course, some things are obviously more relevant than others.