• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I'm actually doing research on the law, as I'm not a resident of California and have never had to look into this sort of thing. It seems no laws were actually broken as public bathrooms are treated as public property and not covered under the same laws as private bathrooms.

The camera operator would've needed to have intent to invade one's privacy in order to consider filming illegal.

Reference: https://www.losangelescriminallawye...ode-section-647-j-pc-invasion-of-privacy.html

I still don't agree with bringing cameras into the restroom, I would have never done such a thing, but I like to put facts before feelings.
Just for your information, Penal Code 647(j) is a relatively new law that hasn't necessarily been tested and interpreted in court yet (I'm not sure about number of previous cases). "Intention" to "invade privacy" is obviously ambiguous, and it could be inferred that part of the (apparent) humor of Disrespect's live streaming a public urinal is the invasive nature of it.

It's quite feasible for law enforcement bodies to take up prosecution as a means of testing the law.

Either way, I hope you can understand why Twitch has to take drastic action for this sort of stuff. Their business is being threatened in the court of public opinion (if not law) by these negligent hooligans running roughshod over other innocent members of the public who may have to resort to / deal with lawsuits in order to seek justice for these sorts of personal violations.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Until where will people stretch their interpretations on privacy? Next we'll be reading "he didn't invade anyone's privacy cause he didn't point the camera straight at their uncovered penises, and when he did so they'd already stopped peeing, so NO HARM DONE"?

smh

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
These publicity stunts to get attention... the other day some youtuber got 15 months for putting toothpaste in oreo cookies and feeding them to the homeless. Another one imitated a Wal Mart manager and fired several employees. Another died when he asked his wife to shoot him with a pistol while he was holding up a fucking phone book. He died.

All this for attention. Wonder what's next?

Regulation

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Just for your information, Penal Code 647(j) is a relatively new law that hasn't necessarily been tested and interpreted in court yet (I'm not sure about number of previous cases). "Intention" to "invade privacy" is obviously ambiguous, and it could be inferred that part of the (apparent) humor of Disrespect's live streaming a public urinal is the invasive nature of it.

It's quite feasible for law enforcement bodies to take up prosecution as a means of testing the law.

Either way, I hope you can understand why Twitch has to take drastic action for this sort of stuff. Their business is being threatened in the court of public opinion (if not law) by these negligent hooligans running roughshod over other innocent members of the public who may have to resort to / deal with lawsuits in order to seek justice for these sorts of personal violations.

The ban violates Twitch TOS, so it is feasible and just. I know IRL streamers who go out of their way to avoid violating Twitch TOS, which can be difficult when out in a major city. This was pretty reckless. I still feel like there is a gray area for enforcing these laws in this specific case, which is all I'm trying to communicate.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The ban violates Twitch TOS, so it is feasible and just. I know IRL streamers who go out of their way to avoid violating Twitch TOS, which can be difficult when out in a major city. This was pretty reckless. I still feel like there is a gray area for enforcing these laws in this specific case, which is all I'm trying to communicate.

Your defense of this in the thread has been utterly gross and disgusting. Your sick.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sad that we didn't see this disrespectful crime coming- and from a streamer called 'Dr Disrespect' of all things.

In hindsight, the signs were there.

My thoughts are with his peers, Shoplifta_Craft and PetPuncherGabe, who must be reeling at the news.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The doc is pretty much the only streamer who isn't pro/top tier level at games that can still make their streams entertaining for me from time to time. He took twitch streaming to another level in terms if production and entertainment value, people can turn their nose up at him but he's much more innovative than 99% of the crap out there.

This was stupid of him but hardly intentionally malicious in any way. My guess is a week ban.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The doc is pretty much the only streamer who isn't pro/top tier level at games that can still make their streams entertaining for me from time to time. He took twitch streaming to another level in terms if production and entertainment value, people can turn their nose up at him but he's much more innovative than 99% of the crap out there.

This was stupid of him but hardly intentionally malicious in any way. My guess is a week ban.
Palying a douchebag and being racist. Innovative.
No offense but please, there is better content on the internet.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018

Ignorance and stupidity is not really a defence. Is it as bad as going in and doing it maliciously? No. Is it still incredibly inappropriate, gross and borderline illegal. Yes.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Now watch him get one million viewers and thousands in donations when he is unbanned and does a comeback stream.
Yes I have lost faith in humanity.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is why its fucking embarrassing to be a 'gamer' anymore in this day and age. I mean look at this sad excuse of a fuckwit that cant even work out basic laws, heralded as the cream of the crop on the biggest streaming platform.

This is the best of the best in gaming lol. Hes barely even a functioning adult and that's being generous.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was dumb. I didn't watch the video but you'd think people would just have the common sense to not do something like that. I imagine he'll be back.

And he did this multiple times?? Did anyone say anything after the first or second time to maybe knock some sense into him??

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
What a dumb idiot. I'm a video producer and I would never have done this, even when asked by a client.

Common sense

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just sad that we didn't see this disrespectful crime coming- and from a streamer called 'Dr Disrespect' of all things.

In hindsight, the signs were there.

My thoughts are with his peers, Shoplifta_Craft and PetPuncherGabe, who must be reeling at the news.
His name is a typo, was always DrPisrespect, so you it makes sense why he did what he did, but guy can't even appropriate people pissing no more, worlds gone mad.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

Today on Era we affectionately refer to people as "the doc" when they hire a crew that films people peeing and hype up their quality streaming content.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility and attacking the community.
Palying a douchebag and being racist. Innovative.
No offense but please, there is better content on the internet.

No offence taken, but I do find his persona amusing in small doses from time to time. In terms of production and the effort doc made on his stream to get as big as he is, there really isn't (or certainly wasn't when he was starting) better people out there. As a fan of competitive shooter streams, I'd love to know who you'd recommend to me as I'm always looking for better content.

Ignorance and stupidity is not really a defence. Is it as bad as going in and doing it maliciously? No. Is it still incredibly inappropriate, gross and borderline illegal. Yes.

I don't dispute this at all, just some of the chat in this thread was clearly interpreting his actions as intentional/devious. Which is ridiculous.

Today on Era we affectionately refer to people as "the doc" when they hire a crew that films people peeing and hype up their quality streaming content.

Yawn. This thread is full of people shitting on anyone who even enjoys the guys streams, my response was hardly out of context. What a sad state the era echochamber is these days.

I'll leave this thread now so you can all look down on me in peace.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the second time you've done this in this thread and you need to stop it.

Fast.

No I'm good. I'm tired of the asking questions BS.

I watched the entire stream, which was one of the most entertaining I've ever seen.

Nothing out of the ordinary was shown. You can usually get that same exact view from outside of bathrooms here in the US because they're complete shit with little privacy. People need to stop being so offended by things.

The camera man should have used better discretion. I'm sure he'll be back by Monday.

He.
Broke.
The.
Law.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Shit like this is why its fucking embarrassing to be a 'gamer' anymore in this day and age. I mean look at this sad excuse of a fuckwit that cant even work out basic laws, heralded as the cream of the crop on the biggest streaming platform.

This is the best of the best in gaming lol. Hes barely even a functioning adult and that's being generous.
"IRL streamers" are more embarrassing than "gamers" could ever hope to be imo.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not defending what was done here because I don't agree with filming in the bathroom to begin with.

How many people do we see taking selfies and videos in the bathroom anyway, should they all be taken to court?

You aren't defending it but you just spent five posts trying to convince people it's not illegal. Now you're asking should everyone be charged for breaching people's privacy? As if Doc is the victim here.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually doing research on the law, as I'm not a resident of California and have never had to look into this sort of thing. It seems no laws were actually broken as public bathrooms are treated as public property and not covered under the same laws as private bathrooms.

The camera operator would've needed to have intent to invade one's privacy in order to consider filming illegal.
I don't want be rude here, but you do understand what basic/general intent is? What you seem to be arguing is specific intent when this would easily be under general intent. All they would have to prove is that the crew knowingly recorded people in the bathroom, which should be fairly easy.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
No offence taken, but I do find his persona amusing in small doses from time to time. In terms of production and the effort doc made on his stream to get as big as he is, there really isn't (or certainly wasn't when he was starting) better people out there. As a fan of competitive shooter streams, I'd love to know who you'd recommend to me as I'm always looking for better content.

I don't dispute this at all, just some of the chat in this thread was clearly interpreting his actions as intentional/devious. Which is ridiculous.

Yawn. This thread is full of people shitting on anyone who even enjoys the guys streams, my response was hardly out of context. What a sad state the era echochamber is these days.

I'll leave this thread now so you can all look down on me in peace.

My dude, you are what you eat. That's just how it is. You came here defending him, when what you perceive as entertaining qualities of his in no way relate to what he did that saw him banned.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol

Damn that Era hivemind, achieving consensus on something as harmless as *checks notes* filming people peeing without their consent being a bad thing. Better go talk about this on thebore.

One of which was an underage boy. Gaming side ERA is a piss bin.