• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit:
There are more constructive ways to engage with the subject in a critical manner than simply whining about people "wanting to be outraged".

You have been warned.

---

I've seen this blowing up for the past day on Twitter and thought I'd make a thread on it. The biggest streamer on Twitch is getting some backlash for mocking Chinese players in his live streams by attempting to imitate their accent and language by making random sounds. It surfaced with the tweet below:

Mocking Asian accents is known as "Ching Chong" and people are calling out Dr Disrespect for doing this on his streams. The argument is it's incredibly impressionable to the young people watching him and obviously this could be harmful to Asians.

Here's an article about how harmful it is from NPR which features the author of the Tweet above: How 'Ching Chong' Became The Go-To Slur For Mocking East Asians

There's a longish Reddit thread going on about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Livestream...respect_gets_called_out_for_being_racist_for/

I found a video of Dr Disrespect addressing this in a video where he calls it his "hybrid language" and that Asian people at conventions come up to him and ask him to speak to them in "Chinese". You can see that here at 6:22 in:

Funnily enough in this same video he defends PewDiePie for using the N word by saying it was heat of the moment and that doesn't make him racist. Starts at about 2 minutes in:
A lot of the defensive comments are saying he's just playing a character so it's not racist. You can see some of the other responses in the Reddit and Twitter threads above.

Update: Dr Disrespect responds to the Tweets above on his live stream, calls him an "idiot" who is "desperate for attention" and "clueless":

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousJollyJellyfishArgieB8

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funnily enough in this same video he defends PewDiePie for using the N word by saying it was heat of the moment and that doesn't make him racist. Starts at about 2 minutes in:
A lot of the defensive comments are saying he's just playing a character so it's not racist. You can see some of the other responses in the Reddit and Twitter threads above.

I'd like to quote a post by Htown from the old board which I find is always applicable in these threads:

Racism is weird. Everybody knows it totally exists, but when you look at any specific situation, racism is never involved. You can know that it exists, but when you look for it, it turns into something else.

Racism is quantum locked. It doesn't exist when it's being observed. The moment it is seen by any living creature, it freezes into a coincidence.

edited the source in

Last edited:

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
but it's not racist because some asian people say similarly-mocking things and at least one chinese person found it funny!

[/s]

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'v
Funnily enough in this same video he defends PewDiePie for using the N word by saying it was heat of the moment and that doesn't make him racist. .

And that's the only thing you need to know in order to make up your mind about this guy. Defending the weasel of PDP in this way after his racial slur became the de-facto echo chamber defense that all the racists and closeted racists in youtube used in order to justify it. Similar to southern rednecks defending confederate monuments because "it's the legacy".

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has he done it this week since he's returned? Honest question. If he hasn't maybe it's something he's trying to clean up.

If he has then yeah this is a bad look.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yayyyy Face of Twitch getting thousands of dollars in a single stream ignoring Pewdiepie comments, being racist, annoying and teamkilling :D :D :D :D :D

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I for one im shocked that someone called Dr. Disrespect, working in a medium known for scummery, turned out to be disrespectful!

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
still boggles my mind someone donated 5000 to him the other day.. i wouldn't pay a streamer a cent to play or let alone to watch him play.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
His excuse sounds like "I have asian friends that laugh at this so it's okay" :/.
I don't think mocking someone for their accent is very constructive, and when you do it to entertain 12yo, they will probably imitate you in doing so, probably in worse situation which will make other people suffer.

Get your sh*t together Youtube/Twitch creators.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So hes trolling other players by speaking fake Chinese and pretending to be a Chinese player? What's the bit here?

I'm assuming it's because Chinese players have higher lag and Americans don't like playing against them..

I guess it's just like the Ugandan knuckles thing. Immature humor that's also probably harmful.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely terrible.

On a related note, can we get people outside of the US to stop being culturalist towards us by putting on fake cowboy accents when imitating Americans? Most of us don't sound like we're from Texas...
Some of us sound like we came from Jersey.

I'm also looking at you fake Russian, Indian, and Boston accents... Consider yourselves on notice.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
still boggles my mind someone donated 5000 to him the other day.. i wouldn't pay a streamer a cent to play or let alone to watch him play.

I feel like you wanting streaming to fail has zilch to do this thread.

Anyway, this is disappointing. I was actually wondering if the guy was good or not but...I guess not?

Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit.

Stop expecting random assholes who somehow got famous playing video games on the internet to be paragons of virtue or even remotely self-aware. These are the same people who abuse and harass women and minorities over anonymous voice chat, they just ended up getting an audience where they can't do it anymore because they're not anonymous. Eventually, the mask cracks.

Stop looking up to these people.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
People should watch all the clips linked before driveby posting and defending this idiot this disrespect guy going too far and done it so many times it's ridiculous fuck him

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Man who behaves like an absolute asshat, to entertain 12 year olds online, mocks Chinese language. I'd be more surprised if this was something he didn't do.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I've ever watched this guy, but I'm also an adult.

The Chinese stuff is a bad look but can we drop the narrative that watching streamers is only for kids? For a forum about videos games, something that took years to shake that stereotype, there sure are a lot of people here spouting that.

Oct 25, 2017
He defended PDP a long time ago so it was well know he was terrible.
Still crashed twitch after ending his hiatus that started when he cheated on his wife

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm glad that I can truthfully say I have no idea who likes these idiots or why. I'm always surprised how intensely people love these spazzy pieces of shit. Annoying as hell.

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised people take this seriously or think it has any affect on the life of any chinese speaker. People way too quick to call people racists which really dillutes the meaning.

Oct 27, 2017

Because most people pretend to be good. Opinions and all obviously but I firmly believe most "good people" are just as big of racist hypocritical a-holes as anyone else.. they just are better at watching what they say unless it's around friends lol. I don't think all people are like that... But working in an area that is "highly" different in religious beliefs and backgrounds and races... Most people are exactly the same.. and mocking others religion or race is just a "joke" to them. And no.. they are not all just white racists... It's anyone

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The Chinese stuff is a bad look but can we drop the narrative that watching streamers is only for kids? For a forum about videos games, something that took years to shake that stereotype, there sure are a lot of people here spouting that.
I watch Twitch. But guys like DrDisrespect and PewdiePie have a very clear younger demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.