• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47691965

Dr Dre has removed a post about his daughter getting into a US university "all on her own" following criticism over his donation to the institution.

The Instagram post was an apparent dig at celebrities, including actress Felicity Huffman, who have been charged in an alleged US college cheating scam.

"No jail time!!!!" wrote Dr Dre, whose real name is Andre Young.

The rap mogul and his business partner Jimmy Iovine gave the University of Southern California (USC) $70m in 2013.

He posed in the Instagram photo with his daughter Truly Young holding her USC acceptance letter.

He later removed the post following a backlash in the comments section, including one that posted "all on her own" followed by a string of laughing emojis and one that asked: "Is this guy serious? H really believes his money didn't play SOME role?"

USC is one of the universities that was allegedly targeted in the recent scandal, although there is no suggestion that any of the colleges themselves were involved in the alleged cheating scam.

There is also no suggestion of any wrongdoing in the case of Dr Dre and his daughter and donations to colleges are obviously not illegal.

But the culture of parents making hefty donations to a university to boost their child's prospects is a well-known phenomenon in the US.

Dre and Iovine's gift established the USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation.

dreinstagram.png

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for his daughter, but I'm sorry "all on her own" after you donated $70 MILLION to them?

No jury on the planet would ever go "yup, no conflict of interest there I mean..."

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
could you imagine the admission office worker about to deny that application...

Her pops just donated 70milly, probably gonna have a building named after him and shit...DENIED.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish someone would donate 70 million dollars to me so that I could succeed all on my own.

My gramma saved 20k for me to succeed in college but by the time I got there (years after she died) I found out my family had used it all and pretended they'd never heard of it.

And that's about all I got from the folks.

Last edited:

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She damn well better get in after a donation like that, regardless of merit. That donation will help thousands.

Oct 28, 2017
The lack of self awareness of some people is truly staggering. How do you post that when you have a building on campus that bears your name because of a donation?

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Wtf 70 million? You can make your own university with that. I'd be like wtf dad just give me 10 million and fuck off and make more raps

Last edited:

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
From politics to personal lives, we are goddamned living in The Onion. Everything is The Onion. The Onion, ever-hungry, will consume all.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
She damn well better get in after a donation like that, regardless of merit. That donation will help thousands.

This. People are viewing this as if he bribed her way into USC. He is not a legacy—i don't think—so this was the old fashion way. His money still influenced their decision but this is no way near the same level of the admissions scandal.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol dre, wtf you doing (at the post)?

(he obviously would move heaven and earth for his kid though, not blaming him there)

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I dunno man. The donation was in 2013. Maybe he was playing the long game, but it's not as if he dangled the money out there while she was applying

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean he ain't doing nothing certain folks in America been doing for generations, I don't wanna hear that bullshit, lol.

His mistake was saying anything publicly about it. Rookie move.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Business mogul and famous rapper donates enough money to university to establish new arts program, something done in the clear view of the public and even has his name attached.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just a little different than under the table bribes? Still, the backlash doesn't surprise me.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Business mogul and famous rapper donates enough money to university to establish new arts program, something done in the clear view of the public and even has his name attached.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just a little different than under the table bribes? Still, the backlash doesn't surprise me.

I think it's more the lack of awareness in the post. Either way I'm not gonna waste any energy bemoaning it

edit nm we're on the same page. Didn't see your last sentence

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have a problem with this. She's probably pretty smart either way or at least trying to be. She does have to work for it, even with that kind of donation. It's not like she gets to chill and not do shit.

I guess he shouldn't have boasted about it though.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad look

He's technically not involved in this particular scandal and I don't doubt she worked for it

But "all on her own" is undoubtedly a stretch

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering this whole scandal, I guess he was hoping people would forget about Dre. He should have know that nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
To be fair his donation was 6 years ago and she could very well have gotten in on her own merit. Dre shouldn't have boasted about it though -- terrible look considering that his family will have privileged lives for generations.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hi daughter is really called Truly Young? That's gonna be awkward when she gets old.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude played himself. He only needed to give 20 mil to one of the Ivy's and his kids would've been good.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the heck would you donate so much money to USC, aren't they rich enough? Why not pass some of that on to other universities that aren't as wealthy so they can improve their facilities.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
So, $70million is what it costs to do it the legal way and avoid arrest.

No wonder Aunt Becky tried to fake her kids athletic careers and pay off college coaches for only $500K.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the heck would you donate so much money to USC, aren't they rich enough? Why not pass some of that on to other universities that aren't as wealthy so they can improve their facilities.

LOL do you not understand how this works? Dre has fuck you money so he is able to donate millions in order to make sure his kids get in to a good school. The people who got popped in the admission scandal are rich people, but not rich like Dre where they can drop high seven figures on a building.500k to 1 million doesn't get you much which is why they had to cut deals with people at the school.

Why the fuck would Dre donate that much to a community college? He doesn't want his kids going there.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For $70 million to establish an entire program that gets used for the betterment of countless students, I don't care if her high school GPA was a fucking Blutarski. Her getting in as a nod to that kind of donation is fine by me.

$70 million isn't just the "rename a building after me" vanity money tier of donation. That improves the education of a lot of kids at the school.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
"After a $70M gift to USC, Dr. Dre brags about daughter getting in to USC on her own"

Hmmmm 🤔