• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That is legal "bribery". It is bullshit.
Bribery is illegal by definition.

If it's legal, you're just paying for a service.

The scandal is about people who cheated on standardized tests and paid under the table to pretend to be sports recruits. Giving a legal donation 6 years before your kid applies to that school isn't even in the same ballpark.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's add this to the board as Bribing while Black.
He's further entrenching a system that keeps PoC down. He doesn't get a pass because he's a black.

Unless there's a rider about how need-based kids need to make up a significant number in the program, I'm not impressed.

Rich students and foreign students paying out the ass for school is what allows the schools to fund scholarships for other students.
Doesn't make my statement untrue and we're talking about the most competitive schools in the country, if not the world and not some podunk school in the Midwest.

I agree, but this is often overlook for some reason even though rising administrative costs have come under public scrutiny lately.
That's because it's easy to make hot takes about how great all that money is without knowing what and how things are paid for.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
if dr dre was my dad i would have just asked for the 70 million and gone to community college

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
mad at me cause i can finally afford to provide my family with grad studies

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Not scandal-worthy but on the same level of awareness as 'Kylie Jenner - self made billionaire'

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not scandal-worthy but on the same level of awareness as 'Kylie Jenner - self made billionaire'

Pretty much.

Also how can anyone be so dense as to think a 70 million dollar donation to a school before your kid applies isn't going to guarantee admission regardless of how awful their grades are?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think she's stupid, but to think the money didn't help just a bit is crazy.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
People starving in the streets, peeps homeless in the streets, hold my beer let me donate 70 millions to a very rich University.

Fucking billionaires and their warped philanthropy. A fucking disgrace.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
I'm blown away Dre has 70 mil liquid that he can toss around like he's donating a couple hundred to his kids local Little League. Damn

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Why in the world would you ever donate 70 mil to a fucking University??...

The optimists in me says that sometimes people want to make a difference, and find a local organization/charity they believe in and donate. A lot of people who find success often donate to their college. It is not out of the realm of possibility that he lives near USC or has connections to the school. There have been rich people that donate because some colleges are doing research in an area that is promising.

However, the schools that least need that kind of help are the ones that constantly receive record breaking donations. I'm sure a donation of that magnitude opens the doors to a very special network of people that can help you in business and other endeavors.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really care. If you donate that much to an institution, a lot more people than your own kid is going to benefit. She can do whatever she wants.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I feel bad for his daughter, but I'm sorry "all on her own" after you donated $70 MILLION to them?

No jury on the planet would ever go "yup, no conflict of interest there I mean..."
I mean, what should universities do? Turn down 70 mill or turn down admission to one student ? Not encouraging behavior but the system is broken. Maybe if we funded out institutions better this wouldn't be an issue..

Why in the world would you ever donate 70 mil to a fucking University??...
See

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This seems a bit unfair. He donated to the money 6 years ago, to create a very specific music program. Why are we assuming that his daughter did not deserve to be accepted to the college? It's possible that his donation had an impact, but it's also possible that she deserve to get in regardless.

I mean, what should universities do? Turn down 70 mill or turn down admission to one student ? Not encouraging behavior but the system is broken. Maybe if we funded out institutions better this wouldn't be an issue..

See
USC is a private university.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
She damn well better get in after a donation like that, regardless of merit. That donation will help dozens of higher ups in a for profit-school by making their campus even more desirable.

Ftfy... don't confuse the word 'donate' in this article to mean anything other than bribing officials cause even if they somehow didn't pocket any of that 70 million themselves, it certainly comes around from any improvements made to the school.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
This seems a bit unfair. He donated to the money 6 years ago, to create a very specific music program. Why are we assuming that his daughter did not deserve to be accepted to the college? It's possible that his donation had an impact, but it's also possible that she deserve to get in regardless.

Private universities still receive public funds

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Honestly, she probably could have gotten in on her own. And I can't be mad at a man that's proud of his daughter and decided to flex a bit.

Oct 28, 2017
Theoretically, I have no problem with what Dre did in comparison to the celebrities that bribed. If he donated $70m for this program, that should assist at least hundreds...possibly thousands of other students as opposed to Lori Laughlin just lining the pockets of some con artist.

Of course, after listening to Malcolm Gladwell's episode of Revisionist History about what private, elite universities ACTUALLY do with these donations...that $70 mil is probably just sitting in their endowment waiting for upper management to give themselves raises! Good times!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
One other thing to note is that just a couple of years ago he donated 10 million to Compton High School. I remember there was an editorial in the LA Times lamenting the fact that he gave all that money to USC when they have a lot of money already, and that same author wrote a follow up article when the Compton High donation was announced:

https://medium.com/@HipHopPrez/i-think-dr-dre-heard-me-dc02cf4a4ab9

Around the same time he said all proceeds of his Compton album was going to fund an art center in Compton.

Also the money he and Iovine gave to USC was earmarked for a brand new program, so it's not like sitting in the administration's pocket or something.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
There is no "Getting in on your own" when your dad is Dre. Lol

And nah, it's not like the scandal. The 70mil went to benefit students, not a personal bribe.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017

See
I'm not faulting a university for taking donations from people, but $70 million, to USC of all places, seems a bit excessive. But I'm also ignorant on what all that money went towards to, so I think I was just caught off guard by the amount that he contributed. Either way, I guess if it helped out the students and school in a meaningful way, then no harm done.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017

I think its the part where he specifically brags 'My daughter got accepted into USC all on her own. No jail time!!!". That's kinda a douche move regardless, to do it when there is some chance that his donation impacted her chance of admission is even worse. Just keep quiet and don't embarrass your kid man. Now the entire public knows about her and the $70 million donation when we wouldn't have given two shits otherwise.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
70m.jesus. Not like usc needs that money. Much better ways to donate that amount of money.