• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Her dad's name is all over the goddamn university. No way would I not get it if my dad's name wasn't plastered all over the university.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people giving Dre shit here? His daughter probably worked her ass off. As a parent there is nothing that makes you more proud than seeing your kid work hard and accomplish a goal.

Also, dude gave $70 million to an institute of higher learning. Good for him in sharing his wealth and trying to do a good thing with his money.

You all are all so gaddam cynical. He's proud of his daughter and wants to help the University of the City he loves. Take a deep breath folks and feel compassion. It's like you read something on the internet and the worst version of you can't help but come out. Just stop.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
What were her marks? If her marks were good enough then that could present a possible way Dre could post that picture. What if he was proud of his daughter because her marks were good?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people giving Dre shit here? His daughter probably worked her ass off. As a parent there is nothing that makes you more proud than seeing your kid work hard and accomplish a goal.

Also, dude gave $70 million to an institute of higher learning. Good for him in sharing his wealth and trying to do a good thing with his money.

You all are all so gaddam cynical. He's proud of his daughter and wants to help the University of the City he loves. Take a deep breath folks and feel compassion. It's like you read something on the internet and the worst version of you can't help but come out. Just stop.

People are just giving him shit over a tone deaf but harmless tweet in the wake of the admissions scandal. It ain't that deep. Everyone will forget about this tomorrow.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
What sucks is that Dr. Dre's daughter probably could get in on her own, regardless of her dad's donations.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, she actually took her standardized tests herself and met the universities minimum requirements.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
even if he hadn't donated $70 million to USC she had other advantages due to her family wealth and underrepresented minority status.

i'll bet she went to a fancy private school and had the best tutoring/SAT prep and college admissions advisers money could buy.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is USC hard to get into or something? Just because her dad donates doesn't me she wasn't a good student.

Oct 28, 2017
Business mogul and famous rapper donates enough money to university to establish new arts program, something done in the clear view of the public and even has his name attached.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just a little different than under the table bribes? Still, the backlash doesn't surprise me.
It is and it isn't. There is clearly a distinction between donating to a school to help others and spending your money to look after your own. However, do you think that Dre's daughter had any chance of not being accepted there after a prior 70 million dollar endowment? Jared Kushner was a C student in high school and yet he got into Harvard after his old man ponied up enough to build a gym. It's a distinction with a difference, but both end with the same result for the child of the privileged. It is just far less sordid.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the post was somewhat tone deaf, but his daughter probably could have gotten in on her own. And to be perfectly honest, it's hard for me to get angry on minority applicants getting an advantage given how the upper tier college system does not reflect the diversity of the actual populatioin

Oct 28, 2017
If my pops had $70 million to loan, I dont think I'd bother wasting my time at a university.

I could probably get a similar education from the library. No need to worry about money at that point.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That post is the biggest backfire involving Dr. Dre since the time they tried to set him up for a 211 but fucked around and got caught up in a 187.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That Beats Electronics paycheck came in on time?

Addy Edwin

Aug 7, 2018
Man I wish someone would donate 70 million dollars to me so that I could succeed all on my own.

My gramma saved 20k for me to succeed in college but by the time I got there (years after she died) I found out my family had used it all and pretended they'd never heard of it.

And that's about all I got from the folks.
Damn, I feel so sad and angry at the same time. Your grandma surely loved you a lot, and 20k is no joke to save for someone you love :(

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I dunno man. The donation was in 2013. Maybe he was playing the long game, but it's not as if he dangled the money out there while she was applying

come on...and it just so happens that the university his kid is applying to is the one he gave $70,000,000 to?

no one gives that much money to an ivy league school from the kindness of their hearts.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
lol "all on her own!"

*donates $70,000,000*
yea, awful look.

I'll take Nepotism for $400, Alex.

So that the university can offer more services to students. Universities do tons of work that doesn't generate revenue, donations allow them to continue doing that work.
Quite right, it's awesome that he had that much to donate to USC. But somehow he didn't connect the dots that a school that probably has your name on a building right now (or at least a wing) would be very unlikely to decline your child entrance. Especially if they are also a demonstrably good student which I'm sure she is.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an open secret that prestigious institutions muddle their diversity numbers by stacking their class with privileged children of color and international students instead of giving opportunities to PoC kids that need it the most and would do well at said institutions.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It's an open secret that prestigious institutions muddle their diversity numbers by stacking their class with privileged children of color and international students instead of giving opportunities to those that need it the most and would do well at said institutions.

Eh, these large scale donations are what allow the universities the ability to give out tons of scholarships for the less privileged.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yea, awful look.

I'll take Nepotism for $400, Alex.

Quite right, it's awesome that he had that much to donate to USC. But somehow he didn't connect the dots that a school that probably has your name on a building right now (or at least a wing) would be very unlikely to decline your child entrance. Especially if they are also a demonstrably good student which I'm sure she is.
Oh he knows, his comment is stupid as hell. There is nothing wrong with donating $70 million to a university though, that money is going to go a long way to benefit thousands of students and employ tons of staff and faculty doing important work.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone's saying that she didn't make an effort.

That's the crux of social media, though. You are free to engage in your own delusions. But when you make them public, you can't expect other people to do the same.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
sagf4W1.gif
hahahaha

Oct 30, 2017
What were her marks? If her marks were good enough then that could present a possible way Dre could post that picture. What if he was proud of his daughter because her marks were good?
Math - 100
Youth Studies - 100

Data Research - 100
Arithmetic - 100
Data Interpretation - 100

Dance - 100
Recreation - 100

Dance II - 100
Reading - 100
English - 100

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Is this like when they told us that one Kardashian was the world's youngest "self-made" billionaire?

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, these large scale donations are what allow the universities the ability to give out tons of scholarships for the less privileged.
I doubt that those in need make up a significant number of the students in that program, muchless that institution. A donation like that would have a stipulation that money could only be used for that program. Not to mention that administrative costs will burn through that money pretty quick. That also doesn't make my statement any less true.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an open secret that prestigious institutions muddle their diversity numbers by stacking their class with privileged children of color and international students instead of giving opportunities to PoC kids that need it the most and would do well at said institutions.
Rich students and foreign students paying out the ass for school is what allows the schools to fund scholarships for other students.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lmao dude must not have heard about the gigantic ass scandal that just happened that also involves the school you're touting

Dummy
The school wasn't implicated though?

I'm honestly confused about how being proud of your daughter getting into a school can cause a backlash. Especially if it's just taking a stab at people who went through a ridiculous process to get their kids into schools.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Give the kid 10% of that money, and they are pretty much set for life anyway. They don't need school.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
I doubt that those in need make up a significant number of the students in that program, muchless that institution. A donation like that would have a stipulation that money could only be used for that program. Not to mention that administrative costs will burn through that money pretty quick. That also doesn't make my statement any less true.
I agree, but this is often overlook for some reason even though rising administrative costs have come under public scrutiny lately.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A bit different than the scandal but that donation probably had some influence in her getting admitted.