• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Since the anime is now out, I figure that a new OT is in order since the one we already have is filled with manga talk.
fec464366218935900a0c02bc3a0a32a1559098068_full.jpg

Synopsis (from MAL): "When a mysterious light suddenly engulfs Earth, humanity is left petrified, frozen in stone. Thousands of years later, the world is teeming with vegetation, and forests have taken the places of cities that once stood proudly. One of the very first to emerge from their stone prison is Taiju Ooki, who finds that his good friend, a brilliant young scientist named Senku, has been preparing for his awakening. While Taiju wishes to save the girl he loves, Senku is determined to figure out the cause behind the strange phenomenon and restore the world to its former glory."

The series was created by Riichiro Inagaki, the author of Eyeshield 21, and drawn by Boichi, a South Korean manwha artist who previously wrote and illustrated the series Sun-Ken Rock. Despite being a Weekly Shounen Jump series, Dr. Stone is far from being an average battle shounen, and is instead more of an adventure series with a focus on using science to solve problems instead of fighting.

OP:

Trailer:

Studio: TMS Entertainment
Music: Tatsuya Kato, Hiroaki Tsutsumi, Yuki Kanesaka
Character Design: Yuuko Iwasa
Genres: Shounen, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Comedy

It's now streaming on Crunchyroll.

US Link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/dr-stone

BTW this is my first OT, so let me know if there's anything I could add to it. As someone who's read the manga, I love this series a lot and it would be great if it got some more attention around here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Oh snap, it's here already?!? I gotta set aside some time!

For anyone curious, this is possibly the best manga running in Jump today -- you don't want to miss out!

(That said, I'm immensely curious on how they'll adapt the first two volumes given the series' rough start.
The looming threat of Jump's axe did the rushed pacing no favors, as did Senku and Taiju wrestling for control over protagonist.
)

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy oh boy.

Will watch episode one but I'll wait a few weeks until the episodes pile up a bit. Heads up to everyone this series takes a while to work out the plot to get where it needs to be.

So if you think it's a little dull just give it a couple of episodes. This story is amazing and definitely up there with Shonen Jump's best.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
That was a great first episode !
-The backgrounds did justice to Boichi, and while the animation seem to suffer from it, it does not really matter since this isn't an action-oriented anime.
-Senku's VA is top-tier
-The OP is kinda meh, but I'll probably get used to it (it's still better than that Neverland OP, but the Kimetsu one is a tier above, as far as jump adaptations go)

But overall, the OST was by far the best part. It was stunning.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oh snap, it's here already?!? I gotta set aside some time!

For anyone curious, this is possibly the best manga running in Jump today -- you don't want to miss out!

(That said, I'm immensely curious on how they'll adapt the first two volumes given the series' rough start.
The looming threat of Jump's axe did the rushed pacing no favors, as did Senku and Taiju wrestling for control over protagonist.
)
Considering where this season will likely end, two chapters per episode seems about right as far as pacing goes. I feel like that'll work out okay, as though the initial arc will fly right by, that's probably for the best.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Heads up to everyone this series takes a while to work out the plot to get where it needs to be.

So if you think it's a little dull just give it a couple of episodes. This story is amazing and definitely up there with Shonen Jump's best.
Good to know. I figured that would be the case and am willing to give it time. Really not enough happened in the episode to judge it long term.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Is the manga any good? Where would you put it in comparisons to others?
Going purely by the manga.

Premise: excellent.
Amount of fanservice bullshit you have to push past: moderately high (remember boichi's other works), but probably won't show up until episode 2-3 given the first episode's pace.
Overall story pacing: good. Arc conflicts are resolved with reasonable speed and finality and watching Senku invent things with stone-age tech is the main appeal of the show.

I like it enough. Hopefully whoever is doing the science supervision for the scripts doesn't have to quit before it's all over. If we're lucky this is one story that actually has a planned ending and enough time to get there, unlike a lot of other stuff in WSJ.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Is the manga any good? Where would you put it in comparisons to others?
It's fantastic. The opening arc is on the rough side, but once the series finds its footing it really takes off.

It's kinda hard to compare Dr Stone to other shounens because it's fairly unique and isn't an action series, it's more of an adventure series based around science. It's got a lot of fun characters and a good deal of comedy, and it's actually pretty informative since the science is all based around actual real-world processes.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Intriguing start. Makes me want to see what's going to happen next, and what kind of conflicts will occur (I imagine a lot of it will be tribalism).

Senku's hair is ridiculous.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird question:
How grounded is the science/inventions in the show? Does it seem completely reasonable that a smart person could do these things with enough resources at their disposal, or does it get ridiculous at times with solutions that normally shouldn't work on Earth?
I'd imagine it's somewhere in between as with most science fiction but I know absolutely nothing about the show aside from the synopsis.

Last edited:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Anime thread review:
Dr. Stone episode 1
This is a pretty good adaptation, albeit one with no frills. From what I recall, this is pretty much word for word the manga. Only major changes are that the female character designs actually look normal, and they removed the Trump cameo (where he got turned to stone).

Music is pretty good. It really played up the wonder of the scientific method. If the anime didn't nail that aspect, then this adaptation would have been doomed.

Opening is alright. It's funny how it focuses almost entirely on the next arc instead of the first one.

Kinda weird question:
How grounded is the science/inventions in the show? Does it seam completely reasonable that a smart person could do these things with thee enough resources at their disposal, or does it get ridiculous at times with solutions that normally shouldn't work on Earth?
I'd imagine it's somewhere in between as with most science fiction but I know absolutely nothing about the show aside from the synopsis.
I'd say the science is fine, the unrealistic part is Senku knowing all this off hand, and them conveniently finding certain chemicals.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Kinda weird question:
How grounded is the science/inventions in the show? Does it seem completely reasonable that a smart person could do these things with enough resources at their disposal, or does it get ridiculous at times with solutions that normally shouldn't work on Earth?
As far as I can tell, the science is accurate, while simplified ("mixing that stuff with that one will make that", but the chemical reaction itself won't be explained in details). But sometimes, some part of the process of the making of an invention is cut, either for pacing reasons (we already saw it with a previous invention), or for legal reasons (Let's say Senku wants to build a dynamite, well the manga will cut one crucial part of its manufacture so that the reader can't reproduce it at home)

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the science is fine, the unrealistic part is Senku knowing all this off hand, and them conveniently finding certain chemicals.
As far as I can tell, the science is accurate, while simplified ("mixing that stuff with that one will make that", but the chemical reaction itself won't be explained in details). But sometimes, some part of the process of the making of an invention is cut, either for pacing reasons (we already saw it with a previous invention), or for legal reasons (Let's say Senku wants to build a dynamite, well the manga will cut one crucial part of its manufacture so that the reader can't reproduce it at home)
Thanks for the responses. Sounds interesting, my intrest in watching the show is definitely piqued.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being honest with myself, this is the manga I've been enjoying the most in jump for the last year. It's been a great fun ride.

First episode was good, though it looks like they're not changing or cutting much out. I hope they kinda sprint through the beginning, as it was the most rough patch of the manga.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird question:
Beyond what's already been said, it's worth noting the aside from the main writer and the artist the manga also employs an advisor specifically for the science aspects of the series. But yeah, as has been said the science itself is largely sound, it's more that it's all being done by one guy that's a bit absurd, but this is a shonen series, so it thriving on larger than life characters and taking a few narrative shortcuts is understandable. The only thing that's really very shaky scientifically is the petrification light, since even though in universe it's not magic, it's not something that really could ever be possible with science as we know it. But it's also kind of necessary for the sake of setting up the core premise so I can forgive that

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Anime thread review:

Yeah, Senku's encyclopedic knowledge pretty much is definitely a fault, but at the same time I don't see the story going anywhere without it when the premise is to literally bring back civilization from the stone age again. You kind of have to have someone who knows how all the flavors of sausage is made to rebuild everything from zero.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Good start, manged to capture the manga pretty well, particularly the background art. Most impressive thing so far is the ost.
Really glad Crunchyroll is really pushing this show, hopefully it does well and leads to more manga sales/readers.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Great premise, a somewhat classic early 2000s Anime look, and I liked the pacing. Always wanted to read the manga but I put it off thanks to the Anime. This is the one time that gamble payed off thankfully.

BlazeGaj

Nov 27, 2017
Had read the manga in the past but stopped for quite a while. I'm expecting this to be a hit in anime form.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I liked this first episode. Felt a little fast tho.

The first arc is largely an introduction to the setting and fairly short, the op in question damn near everything in it is from the second arc. I've always thought the anime would rush through this opening arc.

For a pacing comparison for their first episodes for other recent shonen jump anime

Dr Stone adapts the first two chapters which is 80 pages

Demon slayer adapts one chapter which is 55 pages

My Hero Academia adapts half of one chapter around 31ish pages (some events from in those pages are moved into the second episode)

Black clover adapted most of it's first chapter around 50ish pages

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
My only question is.........

How the heck does the main character maintain his hair!

=P

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Thats some crazy anime hair but hope this is a cool show, but ill wait till its done like I usually do. But its definitely on the list.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely loved this first episode. I don't really know why, I just find it uniquely charming. Can't wait !

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to this. Seems like it will be a great adaption. The background art and music are both fantastic.

Pacing was pretty quick, but it was done really well. The bit that looked like a time-lapse was pretty clever.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The second episode is out.

I hope anime-onlys enjoyed it, because its still easily the roughest part of the series. The mangaka really wanted to set up the conflict ASAP so that he could move things along, at the cost of having some messy pacing so that the story can reach the point where it really starts to pick up steam.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, that "Dr. Stone" title drop was funny. Didn't think that's what it would entail at all.

The introduction of Tsukasa shows that it's going to be more of a fantastic show than I thought. I hope it doesn't descend into the supernatural, though, because then the core that attracts me to it will really be lost.

Tsukasa and Taiji's roles kinda overlap, but I guess it's basically about one doing the hunt and defense, and the other managing resources.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, that "Dr. Stone" title drop was funny. Didn't think that's what it would entail at all.

The introduction of Tsukasa shows that it's going to be more of a fantastic show than I thought. I hope it doesn't descend into the supernatural, though, because then the core that attracts me to it will really be lost.

Tsukasa and Taiji's roles kinda overlap, but I guess it's basically about one doing the hunt and defense, and the other managing resources.
Taiju's has more stamina and brute strength, but literally refuses to hurt anyone and has no fighting ability whatsoever as a result

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The second episode is out.

I hope anime-onlys enjoyed it, because its still easily the roughest part of the series. The mangaka really wanted to set up the conflict ASAP so that he could move things along, at the cost of having some messy pacing so that the story can reach the point where it really starts to pick up steam.
I enjoyed this a lot more than the first episode simply because it hinted to me more what the show could be aiming towards. When they discussed the difference in view of who should be reanimated, I was much more interested. The first episode merely made it out to be science project of the week, which I knew it wouldn't be but wasn't sure what direction it would go.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope it doesn't descend into the supernatural, though, because then the core that attracts me to it will really be lost.
Don't sweat it, the series doesn't go that route at all.

The petrification and humans being abnormally strong (or smart in Senku's case) is as fantastical as it gets.

Oct 28, 2017
I really love Dr Stone. Couldn't help myself with buying the manga when over in Japan. I use it as practice material for translation.

Here's dear leader if anyone is interested.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the second episode and am just... Really not into this. There are so many dumb details, and the characters all annoy me :(

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It should be noted this series almost got the ax and got a major overhaul which should kick in after a few episodes.
Where'd you hear it almost got the axe early on? It may have had to shake things up, but there was no chance it was getting canned early on, not with two veteran authors and the consequent push from Jump's editorial.

Now if they hadn't adjusted, could it have become a RxL situation? Entirely possible.

Last edited: