• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i'm glad there's some of you saying it'll get better. only 2 episodes in, and the premise is a good hook.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The series gets tremendously better after this so you guys plz stick it out.

It's always pretty basic though as in it isn't too complex of a series, just good fun.

However after this the series basically becomes Civilization/Minecraft the anime with two sides operating at the same time.

It does get better as the premise solidifies, but I feel like it's still the same thing over and over except with science as the deus ex machina instead of some crazy powerup like in most shonen. That alone gives it a vibe that's different than most, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
It does get better as the premise solidifies, but I feel like it's still the same thing over and over except with science as the deus ex machina instead of some crazy powerup like in most shonen. That alone gives it a vibe that's different than most, I guess.
As long as Dr. Stone doesn't have some Great Snake Escape tier BS I'm fine with it. Most anime has a hint of BS in it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 05

I saw the whole neck cracking reveal and got pretty into it. Then I saw the remaining petrification and thought it'd be a cool twist where he lead Tsukasa into hitting him on that exact spot without realizing it, which shielded him. But instead it was magic healing juice causing the petrification to break apart, and that kinda bummed me out. It just being the back of his neck that we never saw and a large slab of it left would have been cooler.

A lot of this episode was devoted to how Senku rebuilt. Cool to see, but also not necessary; a lot of it was pretty much implied already. I just want to see what happens next, because it feels like we've been stuck at the same place for a while.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So watched up to EP 4 of the anime and was only half on board because the science stuff still felt super simple though a bit fun but the pace felt slow and the stakes somewhat small. From people's recommendations I decided to pickup the manga after....

I'm now caught up and addicted. Loooove the pace of this thing and how little they draw out arcs. Has been a cathartic read and will look forward to seeing adaptations of some of the later chapters. This run of the anime is supposed to go up to what chapter?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give up, the best is about to begin!

Oct 25, 2017
The flashback of Senku's first 6 months was great. There's a reason why he's never going to abandon science. Abandoning science is death to him.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So watched up to EP 4 of the anime and was only half on board because the science stuff still felt super simple though a bit fun but the pace felt slow and the stakes somewhat small. From people's recommendations I decided to pickup the manga after....

I'm now caught up and addicted. Loooove the pace of this thing and how little they draw out arcs. Has been a cathartic read and will look forward to seeing adaptations of some of the later chapters. This run of the anime is supposed to go up to what chapter?
This is 2 cour, so it'll probably end:
Right at the end of Act 1, after the initial Byakuya flashback. It's the perfect place to end it.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I just love this. Episode 5 had me grinning the whole time. The monkey commentary was hilarious, and I rarely find shonen genuinely funny. So refreshing.

So excited.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So all caught up and what in the actual fuck is up with Tsukasa? Dude is a Gary Stu.

Everything else I love.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this was a great episode. I'd been waiting to see Senku's first few months unpetrified. They are setting up an interesting mystery for why he was able to come back through "mental fortitude". Also was happy to see Senku's friends use their brains too.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Is this series worth watching?
Speaking as someone who's read the manga, it's fantastic, but the opening arc is on the weaker side. Lots of anime-onlys are still digging it, but the series will really start to get going in about one more episode or so. Once it hits that point, the series really starts to shine, and its super fun.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The key point of the flashback in this episode is to recenter the series on that thing people were wishing for more of in this thread: civilization building. We'll be seeing a lot more of that in the rest of the series.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well... I got bored and started reading the manga, and damn I'm hyped to see the rest of the episodes. Even more excited to see it animated now.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 6

I didn't foresee Taiju and Yuzuriha leaving to become spies as part of the Tsukasa clan. Interesting development; I wonder if we'll see a decent amount of what they're up to, or if it's going to mainly be Senku's story from now on. From how they're setting it up, Senku and Tsukasa won't be meeting each other again for a long time.

The concept that a kid about Senku's age was born into this new world is interesting. Has certain implications for the nature of this world that I didn't expect; I thought it was all going to be about people who were from the old one coming into the new one. I don't know how I feel about her design or her apparent devotion to Senku. I hope she doesn't end up being annoying; Yuzuriha was cool.

I'm still not sure if I hate Tsukasa for the right reasons or not. He's definitely the clear villain in this scenario. Maybe I don't like that he fails to see his own hypocrisy? I just want to see someone slap him down.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the sequences of Senku methodically working through the nature of the stone transformation and making the pulley system.

About Kohaku, since some people are concerned about her last line, it's a fake out. She isn't romantically interested in Senku, and Senku is probably asexual.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the sequences of Senku methodically working through the nature of the stone transformation and making the pulley system.

About Kohaku, since some people are concerned about her last line, it's a fake out. She isn't romantically interested in Senku, and Senku is probably asexual.
Please, Senku is already in a long term committed relationship... with SCIENCE

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, this anime just aint for me, sadly, hate everything about it. I'm out, have fun you guys.
ill.PNG

jk and happy travels

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
This is now basically the point in the story where we start the journey on the Grand Line and watch as Senku recruits more crew members.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
And with that, the prologue is finally over. Taiju and Yuzuhira's departure along with Kohaku's introduction is the big turning point for this series, and it's around when many of us manga readers went from moderately liking this series to really loving it.

Speaking of which, its really satisfying to see Kohaku in motion at last, she's a pretty great character.

Oct 25, 2017
This is where the real Dr. Stone begins.
The "rocky" prologue is done. Now it's time for Science Fun with Senku and Cavemen.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the art style. It sorta reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh in terms of art direction but higher quality.

Oct 25, 2017
I still like this show, Senku sciencing up a fucking pulley system was some good shit. Kohaku is thicc, but not as thicc as her manga equivalent.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the most recent episodes. Just as I started to really warm up to Taiju and Yuzuhira, they were voted off Protagonist Island. It will be cool when they eventually return as badasses (hopefully). We're probably gonna meet the New Humans next episode. Wonder what they're deal is.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The transition from "Stone Age Conflict" to "Science Time with Senku and his new cavemen pals" is almost like going from Phantom Blood to Battle Tendency in JoJo's. The series spent a lot of time laying the groundwork for an interesting story, but now it's time to really have some fun with it.

I don't really have much else to say beyond noting that this continues to be a solid albeit unspectacular adaptation. My only real complaint is that Ginrou sounds too young, I feel like he needed a slightly deeper, more pathetic-sounding voice.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have much else to say beyond noting that this continues to be a solid albeit unspectacular adaptation. My only real complaint is that Ginrou sounds too young, I feel like he needed a slightly deeper, more pathetic-sounding voice.
It's actually perfect for some events that happen later in the manga.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
And thus we're introduced to the actual side cast, or most of them rather. I love how Senku first mocks Chrome's "sorcery" but then realizes the significance of Chrome in a world like this and then they start getting along.

Compared to previous episodes, the art and animation both seemed to take a hit, but eh, this part of the series doesn't really need all that.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice they show human evolution after all these years.

Younger female has more compress face with barely a nose

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Episodes 4-7
Wasn't expecting that to happen then and there, hot damn. The flashback with how Senku got up to owning a hut and some rudimentary tools was nice, the monekys were hilarious. Sad to see Taiju and Yurihara exit so quickly, but after episode 6 and 7 I see why the author did so. Chrome is basically Taiju but with some actual curiousity to the science behind everything and works far better as a soundboard for Senku meanwhile Kohaku is a neutral female character so that in yhe future there can be a chance for some light romantic drama if there arises a need to do so. But yeah, a hard reset like that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, no matter how its justified. Hopefully they find their way back into the main cast.
Loving however the new direction this hard reset is going with. Senku the Mad Scientist and his Cavemen followers is gonna be a pisser, and I wonder if and when more Old World people showing up the Stone World people set them up as a council of leadership. Crazy that there were 1st gen humans however. I mean its far better that Senku wasn't the 1st ever human to wake up and thete are already multigenerational communties up and about, it adds much needed depth. This will also be very cool to see with the people who follow Tsukasa, Stone World humans with a strong leader like that could be radicalized far more easily than Old World people. Ironically enough when you thinl about it, Tsukasa is essentially setting himself up to be that which he vows to destroy, cannot wait to see him come to this realization.