• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chrome made me go "Taiju, who dat" so damn fast, love the guy

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Really digging the show so far as an non-manga reader and I have no idea where it could go, so far it has been mainly the Primitive Technology youtube channel : The Anime.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
And here we start the long and complicated route to antibiotics. Before they can even make the first step, they find a roadblock of a lack of manpower needed to get the fires hot enough to even melt iron. Somehow on the road to antibiotics, it was necessary to create ramen. This series is all about the side routes needed to even make a bit of progress.

Oct 25, 2017
And here we start the long and complicated route to antibiotics. Before they can even make the first step, they find a roadblock of a lack of manpower needed to get the fires hot enough to even melt iron. Somehow on the road to antibiotics, it was necessary to create ramen. This series is all about the side routes needed to even make a bit of progress.
I must say really wasn't expecting a cooking ep, but it made sense plot wise, was a fun ep. Dr. Stone actually for the most part seems like a wholesome show.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Screenshot_20190825-211534.png

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I love how this is pretty much a show about the journey and not the destination. You just know he is going to get to antibiotics, electricity, proper civilization etc, but you just don't know how exactly, and this is where the stort shines. Bribing the cavemen with Ramen(and shitty ramen no less) is definitely an interesting concept, and I absolutely cannot wait to see what he can achieve once he has the manpower to do more conplicated stuff. Trying to explain science to Chrome had a hilarious punchljne, but it obviously gave him the epiphany that in this new Stone World he obviously cannot know everything about it. Dude is going to show growth by actually listening to people and perhaps gain some compassion. Dr Stone for me so far is one of tbe most interesting anime out there right now and its showing some major promise, I hope it continues lime this.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
GEN! I was SO looking forward to his introduction, he's probably my favorite character after Senku, and his voice actor sounds super fitting.

I agree that the light bulb scene was good. Animation-wise, this adaptation is nothing special whatsoever, but the animators are doing a fine job with what they have. And on the bright side, it's one of the few shounen out there that really don't need amazing animation to be great, since the humor, character interactions, and science are the real stars of the show.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the opening and ending both try to make Gen look menacing but he switches sides basically right away.
I was expecting the light bulb scene to have the ending song play over it, but they way they handled it was great.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Loving the translation from manga to anime so far. Since it's bulb time it's almost time for my 2nd favorite team science member.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
This has been the show I've been the most surprised about this season. I'm glad it takes more of a man vs nature approach rather than just another battle shounen of which we have thousands.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
This direction is way way better than the first couple of episodes, i'm not in any hurry to see Tsukasa's cheat mode ass again.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I love the juxtaposition of cavemen thinking lightning is God's Wrath alongside the absolute joy in Senkh's determination to get electricity happening and in general enjoy his scientific opportunities. Its this surreal clash of old world vs modern world while being set in the future as civilizatkon reset itself due to an unforseen natural phenomena and yet there are people who know that life isn't near its peak and are starting Jumpstart humanity. The absurdist humor in this whole mess of a world ks some of the best comedy this decade for me, and I'm glad that its one of the better adaptations of recent memory.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Yo this is so good, waiting every week for an episode is torture, love every single episode of it! how many episodes are left ?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of a slower episode, but we'll get plenty of "science fuck yeah" next time.

And yeah, good to see a named subordinate for Tsukasa added back into that scene.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like how they made it look like Magma was talking about his evil plans to drown Ruri way out loud so everyone around the arena could hear it.

Tsukasa's posse looks like a bunch of savages. Is that really his ideal vision of the new world?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The music during the last half of the sulfuric acid episode made everything really intense. Glad it was adapted well.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Bamboo and sheepskin Gas Mask and oxygen masks is so ludicrous it goes from extremely stupid and rounds back to cool. Last episode with the glass making was great too, having an actually craftsman on their team is gonna be helpful in the long run.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Cant fucking wait for the next episodes

including chrom's secret technique!

Zarmander

Oct 29, 2017
The comedy in this show is really great. The facial expressions remind me of GTO. It's just a jolly good time watching this.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I only just started episode 3 and I'm already engrossed. The premise of this show is interesting as hell. Then you have the scientists dude's desire to revive everyone vs the other guys desire to start a new generation.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Even as a manga reader, the comedy in this episode got me good. This series is such a joy now that it's firing on all cylinders.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Damn when
Senku lit that bamboo filament to create light,
I got teary eyed. What a beautiful moment man.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That last episode was badass as fuck. Holy shit.

I love the cast of characters.

OP
OP
RochHoch

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I completely forgot about how funny Ginro's fight was lmao. The cut to reality after he got beat up slayed me.

Can't wait for next week. It's going to cover some of my favorite chapters in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, new OP & ED are just meh. Visuals are good at least (though the ED visuals are a little odd for spoiler reasons).

I'm surprised at how much the anime is covering.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't read the manga but I just started watching about a week ago and I'm caught up to where the SimulDub is.

I just have one question.

If I were to ask "Is Dr Stone an Isekai?" is that like the anime equivalent of asking "Is a hot dog a sandwich?"

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't read the manga but I just started watching about a week ago and I'm caught up to where the SimulDub is.

I just have one question.

If I were to ask "Is Dr Stone an Isekai?" is that like the anime equivalent of asking "Is a hot dog a sandwich?"
It depends on how you define isekai. If A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court doesn't count, then Dr. Stone probably wouldn't either.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how you define isekai. If A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court doesn't count, then Dr. Stone probably wouldn't either.

I personally prefer to place things into genres based on the emotions and themes that the works evoke rather than the technicalities of things like the setting. For example, I wouldn't consider Star Wars to be Science Fiction. Yes, Star Wars takes place in space and features advanced technologies, but the context is that of a fantasy rather than thinking about the specifics of how these technologies would work or how humanity might progress to that stage. So, it's more Space Fantasy.

I think the primary function of an Isekai is to escape the real world and to put ourselves in a different world or context where we can imagine ourselves having greater agency, power, and success than we have in our normal lives. That is the emotional beat we want to hit. So whether or not we are actually transported into another physical or virtual world as the name of the genre implies isn't so important. What we really need is a relatable protagonist who serves as the audience insert (mundane in their original context) who becomes overpowered in their new life.

Dr Stone hits some of these beats. Moving thousands of years into the future where all of Earth's technology is gone is basically the same thing as being thrust in a new world, narratively. And Senku is definitely overpowered in his new context. But the fact that he's extremely knowledge about science right off the get go in ways that most audience members will not be makes him less optimal as an audience insert. And the escapism angle isn't even really the main appeal of the show. What makes the show unique is the science. The show is almost more educational than anything. It teaches us about the very important early technological advances of mankind and about how difficult science is as a process. We learn to appreciate all the work of humanity that took us to the present moment.

So that's kind of why I made the "Is a hot dog a sandwich" comparison. It definitely hits some of the beats of an Isekai, but it would also be disingenuous to call it "just" an Isekai. It's... Isekai-Adjacent?