• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
gugSgYv.jpg

This series is brought to us by Boichi (creator of Sun-Ken Rock) and Riichiro Inagaki (writer for Eyesheild 21).

Synopsis
When every human on Earth is turned to stone by a mysterious phenomenon, high-schooler Taiju is also petrified the moment he's about to confess to his high-school crush. Flash forward several thousands of years later, Taiju awakens and joins up with his friend Senku, who has ambitious dreams. His plan: to restart civilization from square one with the power of science!

Genre
Adventure-Scifi​

Why should I read this?

It is a fascinating series that will have you asking "what is Senku going to create next" very single week. Watching him run into problems and finding some over the top scientific answer to help solve the issue at hand. This creates griping tension and a great sense of wonder for what will happen next. Combine that sense of wonder and tension with Boichis amazing art and Riichiros great ability to create meaningful characters to inhabit the world. You'll find yourself wanting to check in every week to see how Senku is going to rebuild civilization with his friends!

Where can I read this?

You can read this on Viz Media's "Weekly Shonen Jump" magazine, available on iOS, Android as well as their website. A subscription only costs $3 per month (or you can do $26 per year) and gets you a localized version of the famous Japanese manga magazine with new issues every Monday and chapters being officially released at the same time as they come out in Japan (which I still think is crazy). You can also buy the volumes as they become available in your country!

What can we discuss here?
  • Feel free to discuss chapters when a translator (can be official or unofficial) has put out a new chapter. Though be considerate of others and if you are posting plot details from untranslated chapters put them in spoilers.
  • Posting about fan works is also encouraged! Sharing cool cosplays, fan art, and other cool things made by the Dr.Stone community is a scientific necessity.
  • All new comers are more than welcome to discuss their impressions and share them with the thread as they are catching up. For those current please keep new comers lack of knowledge in mind when responding. Do not spoil big plot details that have yet to happen. Unless the new comer asks in their own post.
  • Finally, if you wanted to post about something but you did not see it in this discussion section. Just refer to the rules section and if what you wanted to post about is not there. You may post away!

What are the rules here?
  • Do not name or give acronyms for scan providers.
  • Do not post scans or links to scans. If you want a link to a new chapter, ask for someone to PM you.
  • Do not discuss untagged spoilers of a chapter before it comes out.
  • If your post is quoting/tagging someone who is not yet caught up, try to make sure nothing in your post spoils the series for them.
  • Be nice to each other.
  • Keep the thread safe for work
  • Believe in the power of science!

As this is my first OT feel free to leave some feedback.
Shout out to One Piece Era and Silfer

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I was just reminded of this when I saw the first English volume is out this week. I know very little about it, so tell me how good it is.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fantastically clever manga. There are a few real intriguing and exciting manga running in WSJ right now.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread Cantaim!

One of my favorite ongoing series. Looking forward to rereading with the volumes coming out now.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Such an underrated series. I think once this series gets an anime it'll really hit big.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
DAMN

Looking clean, Cantaim. I like it.

I read the first few chapters (6 or 7, can't remember) last week. Haven't read anything like it, was quite refreshing tbh

OP
OP
Cantaim

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Nice thread Cantaim!

One of my favorite ongoing series. Looking forward to rereading with the volumes coming out now.
Thanks Chase! Thankfully the wait wont be too long for some volumes as Viz is doing bi monthly releases for this series.

Such an underrated series. I think once this series gets an anime it'll really hit big.
man after reading the first volume I can already agree with this sentiment. Art is on point and the premise is great thing just needs an anime and it'll explode.

DAMN

Looking clean, Cantaim. I like it.

I read the first few chapters (6 or 7, can't remember) last week. Haven't read anything like it, was quite refreshing tbh
Thanks Abu!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
wow i had no idea this is from the writer of eyeshield 21
man i loved that back in the day even if i don't care about american football
anyway i do follow this series, it's interesting enough i suppose but nothing mindblowing

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I wonder if Tsukasa will be a series long villain or if they'll actually defeat him shortly. He reminds me of Naraku so I can't help but think he'll continue to be a problem for a long while.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to start this,

I like the art and it's got a pretty interesting concept. Any word on how soon an anime adaptation might happen?

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alongside with Promised Neverland, those are the most interesting and original manga in years (at least in the Shonen jump)

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT

Really love the series, bought the first volume yesterday and I'm looking forward to reading through the series again.

Any word on how soon an anime adaptation might happen?
Seeing as many jump series are getting anime adaption lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement soon, maybe at Jump Festa which is happening December.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice job Cantaim !

I love this series to death so I'm very happy to finally have a place to discuss it. It is such a pleasure to read this every week and I'm consistently impressed with the art, the twists and all the various fun ways they use science to work out their problems. It's always crazy when Senku is like "we're gonna build this thing" and you're like "dude no wayyyy" lol

For me, Dr. Stone is the message of traditional Shonen manga of believing in yourself and hard work and all that good stuff but at its most genuine because this isn't about people with evil foxes inside them or magic fruits but rather it's about showing the worth of the human being and the traits that are inherent to them.
It was with the Byakuya chapters that I realized this and the end of those chapters with the art showing Byakuya's crew and people from Ishigami village's history leading all the way to Senku's crew is quite possibly one of the most beautiful and honest things I've ever seen.

Nice thread Cantaim!

I had a lot of fun reading Vol. 1 yesterday. I remember when I started it I was like "Man remember all the good times with Tsukasa? That'll be fun to see again" and then he breaks a statue in one of his first two chapters lol.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Tsukasa will be a series long villain or if they'll actually defeat him shortly. He reminds me of Naraku so I can't help but think he'll continue to be a problem for a long while.
I wouldn't be surprised if the series is around 200 chapters or so. Could see Tsukasa driving it until the shift towards figuring out why the world was turned to stone (which I guess a true final antagonist could emerge from). Though also can't rule out the Tsukasa face turn to end this arc haha.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's got your typical shonen over-the-top nature, what kid can remember all that stuff and pull it off so easily, but it's entertaining.

I was amused by how the writer had to pull a last-minute save by making his dad not actually blood-related. I'm guessing that was an "oops", and things could have gotten real awkward.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I have had this on the back burner. I will shotgun through it with the inevitable anime announcement.

Chrom's special move is hilarious.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT and Sub
I would love to share my thoughts about this series and read your opinion as well.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This series is so good. I can't wait for it to get an anime adaptation.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if the series is around 200 chapters or so. Could see Tsukasa driving it until the shift towards figuring out why the world was turned to stone (which I guess a true final antagonist could emerge from). Though also can't rule out the Tsukasa face turn to end this arc haha.

Delving into the stone is going to be weird given that the direction the Manga has taken has everything backed by real world phenomena. There's going to have to be a psuedo-science explanation and I hope it's good!

It's got your typical shonen over-the-top nature, what kid can remember all that stuff and pull it off so easily, but it's entertaining.

I was amused by how the writer had to pull a last-minute save by making his dad not actually blood-related. I'm guessing that was an "oops", and things could have gotten real awkward.

I mean, aren't things already awkward? The village has quite a few people and was completely isolated as far as we know...

OP
OP
Cantaim

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
So since I have yet another OT to do this in...
2tMaIhxl.jpg

(HQ Cover)

Volume 1 "Stone World" is now out in English. Please support the official release!
Speaking of official relaease I picked this up yesterday and I should probably give my impressions.

Absolutly stellar first volume art was on point for the entire thing. Boichi still puts out great stuff even when he changes up his art style to be less realistic. Though I am counting down the time till more girls pop in this series. Drawing women with non skimpy outfits is something Boichi never learnt. Now for the characters although I still can't remember most of the characters names yet I feel like it will pivot in the next volume to focus on Senku. But the choice to focus on the friend and his relationship with his girlfriend was a good call for the 7 chapters I got to read. Was a good goal to read to and was a nice way of keeping a goal in mind before we found out that the muscle of the group was a sociopath. Now speaking of the muscle guy man Senku describing him was my favorite bit of the volume. When he goes "he is a good guy that just happens to be a murderer". I actually laughed, the panel that appeared on made the line hysertical and sad. Excited to see how Senku plans to use the gunpowder to beat the muscle guy Novembor can't come soon enough!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of official relaease I picked this up yesterday and I should probably give my impressions.

Absolutly stellar first volume art was on point for the entire thing. Boichi still puts out great stuff even when he changes up his art style to be less realistic. Though I am counting down the time till more girls pop in this series. Drawing women with non skimpy outfits is something Boichi never learnt. Now for the characters although I still can't remember most of the characters names yet I feel like it will pivot in the next volume to focus on Senku. But the choice to focus on the friend and his relationship with his girlfriend was a good call for the 7 chapters I got to read. Was a good goal to read to and was a nice way of keeping a goal in mind before we found out that the muscle of the group was a sociopath. Now speaking of the muscle guy man Senku describing him was my favorite bit of the volume. When he goes "he is a good guy that just happens to be a murderer". I actually laughed, the panel that appeared on made the line hysertical and sad. Excited to see how Senku plans to use the gunpowder to beat the muscle guy Novembor can't come soon enough!

Yeah it's a really good volume. Gotta be honest, I was curious to see if I'd like these beginning parts as much as I remembered because Dr. Stone does get so much better than what those first 7 chapters have but I still had so much fun reading the beginning again. The way Senku describes Tsukasa is very cool and interesting indeed.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following this since it started in english Jump and loving it. I need to catch up recently since my holiday broke up my normal habits of reading haha.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I suggest readers to follow Caleb Cook, he's the translator of the manga and every week writes up trivia for the latest chapter. It is always fun and interesting to read, he just did one for volume 1.

(He does the same for My Hero Academia)

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Focusing on Senku instead of Taiju is the best decision this manga made.

Dope series. Also made me appreciate Boichi's art, he's really good with comedic scenes.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Focusing on Senku instead of Taiju is the best decision this manga made.

Dope series. Also made me appreciate Boichi's art, he's really good with comedic scenes.

I don't even feel like Taiju was ever meant to be the focus. Cause when you read it and you get to that first defeat, it truly does feel like there's been an uncommon switch but from the start it was Senku at the center of promo material. Hell even Volume 1's cover as you can see above features Senku and the way the manga is divided in parts tells me that all that stuff was planned rather than reactionary.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean, aren't things already awkward? The village has quite a few people and was completely isolated as far as we know...
Well yes, but I'm sure a Jump editorial meeting went like this:
Writer: So get this, his dad came back from space and founded the village, and everyone in it is descended from him.
Editor: So... wouldn't that mean any potential love interest is related to him?
Writer: Oh.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
New chapter out, it's going on an interesting direction...

I don't think the Tsukasa arc will last very long, soon or later they have to move to the origin of the explosion.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
We Eyeshield 21 now with that Ukyo vs Gen panel.

I forgot about the secret project. Yuzuriha has been putting in some work.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love this chapter. It's cool that the impersonation plan was working until Ukyo came along. I was like "Oh shit!" when they said Ukyo was replying in English.

It's cool that Yuzuriha's secret project (which I completely forgot about too) is to rebuild the broken statues. It gives her a really cool role and place in the story beyond Taiju's love interest and it's just another example of something the good guys do in this series that I find very heartwarming. And I like that that seems to be the thing that has Ukyo considering allying himself with Senku, like how Gen was convinced way before he met Senku because of how Senku kept a calendar going.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good manga, though the anatomy of the characters (especially the female ones) suuuuuuuuuuuucks

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That Ukyo and Yuzuhira twist was great. This Manga does really well by its side characters.

This is a good manga, though the anatomy of the characters (especially the female ones) suuuuuuuuuuuucks

It's not really much worse than One Piece or My Hero Academia. It's more the framing than the designs.

Oct 25, 2017
New chapter out.
The invasion begins!
20 seconds? Uh oh, is this going to be Chimera Ant Palace Invasion levels of time dilation?

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The new chapter was awesome, the Tsukasa's reaction was priceless

The prison guy is a cool character, I wonder if he is gonna join senku's group

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
GxaBsFb.png

Great series of panels and onto the next page.

I can feel the Tsukasa heel turn with them setting up the other dude as the "real evil" one.

The reunion was great. I like Kohaku getting some more of the spotlight since she's been kind of sidelined for a while.

New chapter out.
The invasion begins!
20 seconds? Uh oh, is this going to be Chimera Ant Palace Invasion levels of time dilation?

Probably just the next chapter. 1 page per second?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UKYOOOOOO!!! TAIJU!!!!!!
Loved this chapter. It's cool that Ukyo's condition is that he doesn't want anybody to die and I like that not everyone in Tsukasa's camp is just a bad guy. I also like how Tsukasa seems to care about the people in his army (always a good way to make me like a villain), unlike Hyoga, and I love the suggestion that they could get in trouble with each other.

Nice to finally have the Senku/Taiju/Yuzuriha reunion and also to show that Kohaku and perhaps the other villagers already feel some form of companionship towards Taiju.

Looking forward to next week's chapter. Very curious to see how they react to Senku having a tank and if Tsukasa will figure it out and head to the cave (unless he can just hear the blast from his position)
Probably just the next chapter. 1 page per second?
Lol 1 page per second is what came to mind too when I read it.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Cue the classic "Tsukasa is a good guy...who just happens to be a murderer" page

The negotiations were fun. Excited to see how this plays out. I like the large close ups on faces this series does.