• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
(oh man. that title must be a bottle of holy water because what a sick burn)

So with the double dose of Belmondos recently revealed for smash I was reminded that SNES Dracula X had been chilling unfinished on my WiiU for some time.
With my PSP MIA and thus my copy of the real rondo and its polygonal remake out of my reach for the time being I figured there was no better time to finish off the most half baked classicvania I've played.

Boy, what a messy arse game, I guess you'd call it a sloppy port of the PC engine title but that doesn't really quite cover it, its more like some peeps from Konami's SNES team snuck into the offices over the hall and swiped a quarter of the design documents from Rondo of Blood and tried to build a game off it.
Indeed you have some of those classic spots like opening with the burning town, being pursued by a slooooow beast and of course the enemy lineup that would be asset flipped for many an IGA outing. Otherwise though beyond stage 2's bridge (lacking the glorious brass explosion of "cross a fear") the game starts slipping off into its own half assed takes on some of the most basic of the usual series tropes, ohh we got the CAVE, then there's...more caves? huh.

Apparently it seems that stage 5 does contain a split path situation, pretty sure I just went the default non maria route which led to a very rough edition of that fancy interior filled with armor sword nights, now with fifty times more jank.
Oh yeah, let's talk about the jank because it's pretty much the main sticking point for this game. It feels "off", most ceilings are just a mere triviality to this Richter whose jumps just kinda seamlessly merge through them, the game's knockback is limp with pretty much no frames of invincibility leading to some painful juggles, the whip hitbox has this strange extension behind it when unfurled that will occasionally slap the shit out of any bat or crow that tries sneaking up on ya, an unintentional benefit I guess.
Hitboxes are naff in general, like both Richter and the enemies have an extra invisible set of pixels around them, I may have gone into a mini tirade last night about "I JUMPED OVER THAT BAT AND THEY KNOW IT!"
And level design leaves a lot to be desired, SC4 runs circles around it, before entering the clock tower area of stage 6 you can bypass the entire obstacle of a room because the out of place looking stone platforms falling from the ceiling down into a pit are placed close enough together that you can actually just jump straight up and skip a whole segment.
The game even drops frames, what madness is this?!

Overall it's not a tough game, it's not truly a bad one, it's just real sloppy and a very pale imitation of the real deal. I guess what strikes me as odd about its existence is that after such a strong run of console titles, this entry really appears to just shit the bed quite royally.
The Sonic 4 of Classicvania?

But deep down we all know what must be discussed...
hqdefault.jpg

What the shit was this?! you couldn't whip up a decent final boss so let's just throw some pits in there and call it a day? you cheap motherfuckers, this is like the bed of chaos before bed of chaos....
okay so it's still better than bed of chaos.
Also, where's Death? was he too ashamed to turn up in this hot mess?

On the upside, one of Rondo's most forgotten bangers gets good play in stage 5

So I guess the main takeaway of this thread is that if Smash has you feeling some Richter action...
- Play the real Rondo of Blood
- Then Symphony
- Then even consider doing that bonus Richter run of Portrait of Ruin
- And lastly, still avoid Dracula X

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really, really hoping this game was underrated when I played it a year or two ago.

It isn't. It starts alright (with some particularly nice background visuals early on) and dips from there. SC4 is a lot better, and I don't think SC4 is great.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a poor port and a bad entry in the series. To make matters worse, it's extremely expensive these days.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being very frustrated at this game when I rented it because of how hard it was.

Later I learned it was a watered down adaptation of another game. Sigh.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The graphics blow Rondo's away in a lot of situations and the soundtrack is one of the best on the SNES. There are issues, like the game being incredibly short and that one level where they spammed spear guards everywhere but it's still a fun game.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I played Rondo of Blood PSP (swapped to the original as soon as I unlocked it, prefer that look) instead of getting this! Just seeing that Dracula pic is enough to make my blood boil over with game rage lol.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The graphics blow Rondo's away in a lot of situations and the soundtrack is one of the best on the SNES. There are issues, like the game being incredibly short and that one level where they spammed spear guards everywhere but it's still a fun game.

This, and there's no Maria. I thought it was pretty decent, even if it was largely nothing special compared to other entries at the time. And I honestly like some songs in this game better here than I do in Rondo.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care what anyone says I love Dracula X. I bought it in October 1995, had no clue about Rondo and loved it. Still have my cart.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who owns both the PC-Engine CD and SNES release, I never got the hate for the SNES version.

I always thought it was still a great game for what it was. I mean, yes, of course the PCE release is better, but it doesn't make the SNES a terrible game for that.

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me, stage 6 not dropping any subweapons for half the stage, it finally gives you the cross and then the next four enemies are spear dudes that just spin that thing away, next level trolling right there.

Also one of the candlesticks before Drac drops the stopwatch, Drac laughs at the mere attempt of its use, small things like this just have me scratching my head.

iirc you need to save annette (which you can't do on certain paths) and then you fight death instead of her. you're not missing out on much since it's pretty similar to the rondo version
Ohhhh, poor Death, he shoulda just sat this one out.

You forgot one final step OP:

-Play throughCastlevania Bloodlines
If only Konami would remember they actually made this game.
One day I'll see beyond stage 1.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who owns both the PC-Engine CD and SNES release, I never got the hate for the SNES version.

I always thought it was still a great game for what it was. I mean, yes, of course the PCE release is better, but it doesn't make the SNES version a terrible game for that...well, not to the point of comparing it to Sonic 4 at least. :lol

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That reminds me, stage 6 not dropping any subweapons for half the stage, it finally gives you the cross and then the next four enemies are spear dudes that just spin that thing away, next level trolling right there.

Also one of the candlesticks before Drac drops the stopwatch, Drac laughs at the mere attempt of its use, small things like this just have me scratching my head.

Ohhhh, poor Death, he shoulda just sat this one out.

If only Konami would remember they actually made this game.
One day I'll see beyond stage 1.
Yeah it pisses me off such a great game is forgotten. Especially when it is one of the best in the classicvania games.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its not a bad port. its a new game of sorts. rondo is better without a doubt but as its own thing its a nice entry. still prefer castlevania iv

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Something about the game's color palette always bugged me. It's not just colorful (Rondo could be extremely colorful, and has a stage with a blue sky!), but it seems a bit too bright in a lot of spots, almost like it's washed out.

It's hard to define, but to make a comparison to Capcom's SNES output, SC4 looks like Demon's Crest, Rondo looks like Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, and Dracula X looks like...an MMX game.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I remember renting it back in the day, and being very disappointed. Felt like a downgrade from Super Castlevania in every way.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I agree with everything in that OP. That Dracula fight is such a massive "fuck you" to the player. Was never a big fan of how shrill the Stage 1 theme sounded in comparison to the original, too.

What's the consensus on the definitive version of SotN?
I've heard both PS1 and PSP.
PSP version for the simple fact that it comes bundled with the Rondo of Blood remake and a properly localized, English voice acted port of the TGCD original as well. SoTN is one of those weird games where each port has additional stuff unique to it, but the PSP port in is probably the most attainable. You do have to unlock it by playing a bit of the Rondo remake, though.

You really can't go wrong with any version, though. Even the PS1 version still holds up amazingly, hilarious voice acting* aside.

(*I will go to bat until the end of days for Alucard's original VA, though)

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
PSP version for the simple fact that it comes bundled with the Rondo of Blood remake and a properly localized, English voice acted port of the TGCD original as well. SoTN is one of thse weird games where each port has additional stuff unique to it, but the PSP port in is probably the most attainable. You do have to unlock it by playing a bit of the Rondo remake, though.
Wouldn't the backwards compatible version of SoTN on Xbox One be the most attainable

Oct 29, 2017
It was actually my first Castlevania game so I have fond memories despite being fully aware today that it is very mediocre.

The soundtrack fucking slaps tho. That Stage 5 is some legit good disco shit.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
My castlevania experience is severely limited to playing a stage or 2 of the original NES version (might have been 2) at a friends house back in 1992. somehow this franchise has eluded me for years and as such I have very little knowledge or attachment.

I've read up recently about some of the lore and the belmonts and the Dracula... and all that... but I'm missing the context of the game releases. Is Rondo of blood the same as Dracula X or is it a different game?

Could someone break it down for me real quick?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
My castlevania experience is severely limited to playing a stage or 2 of the original NES version (might have been 2) at a friends house back in 1992. somehow this franchise has eluded me for years and as such I have very little knowledge or attachment.

I've read up recently about some of the lore and the belmonts and the Dracula... and all that... but I'm missing the context of the game releases. Is Rondo of blood the same as Dracula X or is it a different game?

Dracula X is basically the SNES remake of Rondo. They have the same story beats and characters but the SNES version is a much lesser experience overall. Many things were changed, it has less features and secrets, etc. I don't really know how to classify it other than bizarro Rondo of Blood.

Rondo got a proper remake for the PSP which can be played on Vita and is worth checking out. Both the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night which is the sequel are unlockables in it.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

The Japanese series is called Akumajo Dracula, or Demon Castle Dracula.

Rondo of Blood was released for the PC Engine CD (ie, the TurboGrafx CD) as Demon Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood in 1993. It used the CD format to have a bunch of stages with branching paths, an extra playable character, tons of CD quality music, and voice acted bits.

Because the TG16 sold fairly mediocre in the West, with the CD add on being a total bomb, it wasn't released outside of Japan. Instead, two years later, an SNES game was released that used the same basic story, many assets, and music compositions, though SNES samples instead of CD audio, but was otherwise a new game. It also had far less overall content because of the move to cartridge. In NA it was named Castlevania: Dracula X, in EU it was called Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss, in Japan it was called Demon Castle Dracula XX.

On another note, Symphony of the Night was positioned in Japan as a sequel to Rondo (because, well, it is: the intro to SotN is a "remaster" of Rondo's final boss, almost exactly), where it was called Demon Castle Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that "Dracula X is bad" is the general opinion on the internet. I love Dracula X and prefer it to Super Castlevania IV. Great graphics. Great soundtrack.

Rondo of Blood might be a better game, but you can only get that in the US on Wii Virtual Console or PSP and the Wii Virtual Console is dead now and the PSP version is incompatible with PSTV for no apparent reason.

Dracula X is hard as hell, but so are Castlevania and Dracula's Curse.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Can we all at least appreciate how Richter's original design is a European youth donning a European style karate gi complete with white headband of burning shonen justice as he raises his fist in defiance against pretty boy Dracula?
latest

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Dracula X is basically the SNES remake of Rondo. They have the same story beats and characters but the SNES version is a much lesser experience overall. Many things were changed, it has less features and secrets, etc. I don't really know how to classify it other than bizarro Rondo of Blood.

Rondo got a proper remake for the PSP which can be played on Vita and is worth checking out. Both the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night which is the sequel are unlockables in it.

The Japanese series is called Akumajo Dracula, or Demon Castle Dracula.

Rondo of Blood was released for the PC Engine CD (ie, the TurboGrafx CD) as Demon Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood in 1993. It used the CD format to have a bunch of stages with branching paths, an extra playable character, tons of CD quality music, and voice acted bits.

Because the TG16 sold fairly mediocre in the West, with the CD add on being a total bomb, it wasn't released outside of Japan. Instead, two years later, an SNES game was released that used the same basic story, many assets, and music compositions, though SNES samples instead of CD audio, but was otherwise a new game. It also had far less overall content because of the move to cartridge. In NA it was named Castlevania: Dracula X, in EU it was called Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss, in Japan it was called Demon Castle Dracula XX.

Thanks! My understanding has INCREASED

I think for Halloween I will play a castlevania game... maybe the ones on my NES and SNES mini to get started.

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Can we all at least appreciate how Richter's original design is a European youth donning a European style karate gi complete with white headband of burning shonen justice as he raises his fist in defiance against pretty boy Dracula?
latest
It really was the original anime styled vania way before Dawn of Sorrow, that design, the cutscenes.
Probably why I prefer my Richter to be in his symphony duds.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be "Dracula Double Cross", on account of the two "X"s looking like angled crosses and that's what Japan sometimes calls them?

Like how the game "double crossed" everyone who thought it was a faithful port of Rondo, lol.
X is sometimes called Cross, but I believe the Castlevania X games were "X" (er, well, "ekusu," with the SNES game being "Double X")

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Like Megaman 7, SNES Dracula X is a completely forgettable entry in a classic series. The only noteworthy aspect both games share is a bullshit final boss.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you didn't even cover the most important question regarding the SNES port that has never been asked:

why did the PAL region decide to localize it as Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss?
"If Dracula stole your girlfriend and you're in the mood to throw crosses, knives and hatchets, Vampire's Kiss is a new dancefloor in Broadway that has EVERYTHING: A man with a raincoat, high leather boots and a bandana whiping everyone, medusa's heads flying everywhere and if you're in the mood for some meat you can smash the chandeliers and find roast beef and turkey".

Last edited:

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
"If Dracula stole your girlfriend and you're in the mood to throw crosses, knives and hatchets, Vampire's Kiss is a new dancefloor in Broadway that has EVERYTHING: A man with a raincoat, high leather boots and a bandana whiping everyone, medusa's heads flying everywhere and if you're in the mood for some meat you can smash the chandeliers and find roast beef and turkey".
Ayyyyyyyyyyy x'D

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
But seriously though, why is the game so washed out looking.

Was it a deliberate attempt to replicate the concept art? Consideration for people with dim TVs? Someone on the dev team was from the future and wanted to make it look like a GBA game pre-lit screens? Or is there some technical reason, like they had to compress the background data or something and it made it look like that?

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was anyone really that rich to own import copy of rondo of blood and a pce cd back in 94. I know I wasn't..

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
But seriously though, why is the game so washed out looking.

Was it a deliberate attempt to replicate the concept art? Consideration for people with dim TVs? Someone on the dev team was from the future and wanted to make it look like a GBA game pre-lit screens? Or is there some technical reason, like they had to compress the background data or something and it made it look like that?

Can't unsee this now.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP, the last boss fight is incredibly easy, you just need to stay in one spot and let Dracula come to you.

DW3Zllg.png

Stay in that spot, and use the axe to attack the 1st form. If you have the cross, jump on the right pillar and throw it, then go back down.
For the 2nd form, just use the whip and as you can see, you even naturally avoid his hadoken.