• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I wasted all my remaining summons at the end, and still no gala characters. I just started playing like two weeks ago, so at least I still got some decent stuff even if I gotta wait for the next gala for these ones.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Again, having a healer does not actually address the problem. This isn't rebalancing against 4x Gleo or 4 dps. This is just making it unnecessarily hard for anyone to clear and especially to learn the fight to begin with. Jupiter was already a fight that could feel overly punishing of someone's mistakes - not only one shot kill, but that shot spreads to others - and now people have even more of an incentive to quit, not to stay, if you make a mistake. Cause the problem isn't "when an early death happens, it's now hard to win without a healer", it's "when an early death happens, someone quits and their AI doesn't revive, and you can't restart to deal with it because that now takes an eon, so the room dies too". When before this change I'd been in plenty of rooms that would stick around for numerous tries at the start, until the player making mistakes picked up on what to do- and this is not a hard intro to learn if you can do that restarting.

Like I'm not sure how to word this, exactly, but I guess I feel like you're making some very strong assumptions about the way people play this game in pubs? I simply do not think most people are going to see a healer as necessary (compared to acceptable) based on an assumption that 1 or 2 people are going to die in the first 30 seconds. Cause for what you're saying to happen, the entire team does need to actively believe in the healer having that role, because revives+timer don't matter if one person quits (at least before break) because they think the team won't clear even with the healing + those. Which includes the person healing, because having a healer sure doesn't matter if they quit because someone blew them up right away.

This isn't even getting into the fact that dying immediately (and again, possibly bringing others with you) likely means people won't trust you to handle the rest of the fight to begin with, since it shows you're likely pretty new to it. Or that we're all already hoping someone doesn't feel "(you) lost my extra tail, guess I'll quit".

I'm pretty open to running with whoever, so I'm fine with a slower setup, sure. I'm not saying people shouldn't run Hein, either. But arbitrarily toughing it out over restarting when the issue at hand was an extremely early avoidable death rather than having lower DPS or something... that just isn't an appealing option most of the time, and without having a restart option anymore (to the vague degree that we used to have it), people are just going to keep quitting as a result. This isn't even dependent on a fight not usually having a healer, either; I expect Expert Volk to have a very similar problem if that eventually gets revives without any form of restarting.

You're saying that in a 4 DPS comp, if people do stick around after dying despite not breaking in time, they'll still manage to continue that specific fight successfully if they stayed and revived? The way you explained it before I thought the lack of healing meant you literally run out of revives due to too many HP checks resulting in the revives not accomplishing much in a 4 DPS comp. I was under the impression the reason some people quit is a combo of knowing that the group can now not reliably clear since them being down makes the break less likely and therefore just a failed run completely, resulting in the scenario where they'd rather leave than stick it out, which wouldn't necessarily be the case in a healer comp. Apologies if I misunderstood, since that was the main crux of my healer argument.

If folks are leaving solely for the deathless clear tail/someone caused them to die, regardless on whether the clear is still doable, I'm almost certain those same folks would still leave even with a proper quit/restart system. In terms of pub quality for eHJP, I think it's prudent to mention that MANY folks are now jumping into specifically eHJP with the combo of revives and 70 MC dark units, so that's also going to worsen the pub experience noticeably more than the other eHDTs for a while until people overall get a better handle on the fight. The thing with players that are very new to an HDT fight though is that I find a lot of them will literally just leave out of just pure embarrassment of dying instead of specifically the wait between deaths, especially since a lot of them are actually veterans who didn't start the eHDTs until now. You're going to run into a lot more of those kinds of folks with the uptick of people trying eHJP specifically. I agree that people are now more likely to leave immediately with the revive and survival bonus systems, but I also feel that you're going to see a lot more people immediately leaving on death right now compared to a couple weeks from now when there's less complete beginners to the fight I'd say.

Sakrey

Oct 27, 2017
Free tenfold summon of the day. Rainbow crystal is dropping. Dayum!

Reveal : Cupid.

Dammit!

...Well I'm not gonna complain too much, since it allowed me to have my 2nd MUB Cupid.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
love the setup page of this event and the writing is already hilarious, this could be one of my all-time favs

(and all the free tenfolds don't hurt)

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Fatalis showed up after 4 ten pulls. Was afraid what I'd have done if he hadn't. Still 13K left in the bank after going in for Gala Luca, should be able to make it through these next few limited banners with a little help from Cygames' generosity.

Redesign looking great so far, very cool event

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The double rathalos trial was a cool idea, but it really just ended up being a huge clusterfuck.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hands down one of the best Dragalia Lost events so far. Not as good as anniversary but about on par with Fire Emblem I'd say.

I'm really surprised by the quality of this event because the Mega Man event was so bad!

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
the worst thing about this event is how small the targetable parts of the dragons are. I can't aim for that shit.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Just keep tapping the target button! Oh wait...

Anyway, the evtn is good so far, I love the UI/sounds as well as the enemy animations, really nice attention to detail. I want Vanessa badly (for reasons), but none of the adventurers seem quite as useful as the FEH ones (at least on paper). I'll stick with the daily ten-pulls for now and hope Sarisse is on the second banner and she's amazing. Even if she's not I'll probably still pull for her, 'cause adorable bunny ears.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

...currently feeling a certain kind of way about featuring non-limiteds too, lmao

I know the math doesn't work like that but

still!!

You're saying that in a 4 DPS comp, if people do stick around after dying despite not breaking in time, they'll still manage to continue that specific fight successfully if they stayed and revived? The way you explained it before I thought the lack of healing meant you literally run out of revives due to too many HP checks resulting in the revives not accomplishing much in a 4 DPS comp. I was under the impression the reason some people quit is a combo of knowing that the group can now not reliably clear since them being down makes the break less likely and therefore just a failed run completely, resulting in the scenario where they'd rather leave than stick it out, which wouldn't necessarily be the case in a healer comp. Apologies if I misunderstood, since that was the main crux of my healer argument.

If folks are leaving solely for the deathless clear tail/someone caused them to die, regardless on whether the clear is still doable, I'm almost certain those same folks would still leave even with a proper quit/restart system. In terms of pub quality for eHJP, I think it's prudent to mention that MANY folks are now jumping into specifically eHJP with the combo of revives and 70 MC dark units, so that's also going to worsen the pub experience noticeably more than the other eHDTs for a while until people overall get a better handle on the fight. The thing with players that are very new to an HDT fight though is that I find a lot of them will literally just leave out of just pure embarrassment of dying instead of specifically the wait between deaths, especially since a lot of them are actually veterans who didn't start the eHDTs until now. You're going to run into a lot more of those kinds of folks with the uptick of people trying eHJP specifically. I agree that people are now more likely to leave immediately with the revive and survival bonus systems, but I also feel that you're going to see a lot more people immediately leaving on death right now compared to a couple weeks from now when there's less complete beginners to the fight I'd say.

Maybe I emphasized that too much in the first post, sorry. I can see why the topic shifted as a result. And I'd like to apologize if I was too harsh in my replies as well.

It is my feeling that it being reasonably harder to continue to clear is probably why people are more likely to not want to continue fighting. Though I should have also been clearer that the specific possibility of getting stuck using up more revives as a result was what I personally noticed was possible when I disconnected in one run, and so saw what it was like to revive at certain points. I'd bet that most others weren't really distinctly thinking "now we're gonna die repeatedly due to not having HP for sparks", rather than a more general sort of "this is too chaotic now, we didn't break in time, and we shouldn't continue", if that makes sense. I also do think that it can be chaotic enough that a healer will not change that situation much, but we'll see how that shakes out, especially with Heinwald being on this banner.

Basically, I feel there is an important difference between not wanting to continue fighting and wanting to quit. I have seen whole rooms retry several times in a row on an early death/bomb-based wipe countless times running HJP in the past, but now that is a very long process and people are much more likely to quit. Well, I feel like (across all high dragons) that waiting time could already be long enough that it prompted people to quit if someone remaining didn't die fast enough, but this is obviously now much worse. I understand wanting people to make use of the revive feature to push through and continue fighting, but also don't think it makes much sense to force people to commit to a false start when they could retry the fight and practice not making the same mistake faster (and now potentially get an extra tail too). This comes across as a frustrating side effect rather than intentionally trying to change player behavior or balance certain groups or something, especially at a time when newer players would benefit a lot from learning through repeating the quest more.

It is maybe also a little frustratingly ironic that it's probably the fight that anyone quitting due to dying would actually matter the least in, if everyone at least lasts till the break first!

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Giving the game another shot because of the event (Mizutsune Sarisse), and I forgot much I love it visually.
Got a new phone recently and it looks really crisp.

My only gripe so far is how often I get a network connection error.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Lmao, ya gotta love Vanessa!
pAqeUec.jpg

Also
RIP Cattle Herder, we hardly knew ye.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Rathalos Assault: High Rank is hella generous with the payout, probably one of the best quest payouts ever for how trivially quick and easy it is. At only 12 stamina it gives 385 player EXP (with +10% print) and lots of mana/rupies/orbs/upgrade materials/event items. I even got a rainbow orb.

5Si3aXg.jpg

Combine that with the halved stamina and you can make some serious bank. It's also the perfect farming resource for newcomers, too.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
My biggest gripe so far is the rate-up from the regular pool on the banner. Heinwald instead of Lathna or Delphi, and Cupid when we just got Corsaint Phoenix and Daikokuten.

Event is good though the difficult quests aren't there yet, Fatalis is kind of a pushover so far. They also teased more monsters to come and name dropped a few (Zinogre, Brachydios, Lavasioth and Malfestio). I already can't wait for the rest.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
Wondering if the 1st clear weapon rewards are any indication of what the banner units for part 2 will be.

Be interested to how they make wands and staves work in the context of MH.
Heinwald is a Shadow staff and the Fire wand could just be Student Maribelle on rate-up along Water bow Sarisse, as wand is the less MH compatible weapon of the game (along staff).

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
I went and tried out the mentor system by doing some Standard HZD. I managed to get all five of the bonuses for standard pretty quickly. Do note that the mentor eligibility message only pops up once everyone in the room readies up, so don't be a big dumb dumb like me and dip out of a room when you don't see it immediately.

All of the runs were what I assumed to be one new person and then three experienced players who could just obliterate the boss for them. I don't know if it helps much as a teaching tool, but getting people through Standard and qualified for Expert is good enough I guess. I had one failed run because the new person in the group was so abjectly terrible they were dead for good like 40 seconds into the fight then they rage quit and the bonus was lost. Though the other runs were super smooth. You've heard of breaking HZD before the first stack, try killing HZD before the first stack. My last run had us killing HZD before Umbral Chaser went off.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Free ten pull: Cupid
10 pull ticket: Hunter Berserker and AC-011 Garland

Not a bad way to start off, although I should just stick to the free 10 pulls till those are over

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Heinwald is a Shadow staff and the Fire wand could just be Student Maribelle on rate-up along Water bow Sarisse, as wand is the less MH compatible weapon of the game (along staff).

Could be, though they could try work Bowguns or Insect Glaive into it somehow. The latter could be interesting as a buff bot unit!

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get everyone in about 70 pulls. Going through dozens of single tickets is a pain.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Welp, I got my Berserker and Rathalos, and I haven't event reached the final story part of the event. Kind of sucks the anticipation out of it, but I guess I can always look forward to dupes for unbinding.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I went and tried out the mentor system by doing some Standard HZD. I managed to get all five of the bonuses for standard pretty quickly. Do note that the mentor eligibility message only pops up once everyone in the room readies up, so don't be a big dumb dumb like me and dip out of a room when you don't see it immediately.
Standard HBH is quite the sight right now.

Set up a non-restricted room as a 7.4k might Thaniel and nothing but a revolving door of tons of 7-9k might players coming and leaving when they see my might/epithet and other high-might players since we can't give them the mentor bonus. I just wanna farm some greatspheres so I can finally max out my flame fafnir statue. lol

Amazing how folks go nuts for just 325 Wyrmite (250/5 sHDTs + 75/3 eHDTs) which isn't even a third of the cost of a tenfold summon. True, it resets weekly, but it's still a lot of effort to sift through rooms looking for a newbie to compensate you. :P

Last edited:

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Maybe I emphasized that too much in the first post, sorry. I can see why the topic shifted as a result. And I'd like to apologize if I was too harsh in my replies as well.

It is my feeling that it being reasonably harder to continue to clear is probably why people are more likely to not want to continue fighting. Though I should have also been clearer that the specific possibility of getting stuck using up more revives as a result was what I personally noticed was possible when I disconnected in one run, and so saw what it was like to revive at certain points. I'd bet that most others weren't really distinctly thinking "now we're gonna die repeatedly due to not having HP for sparks", rather than a more general sort of "this is too chaotic now, we didn't break in time, and we shouldn't continue", if that makes sense. I also do think that it can be chaotic enough that a healer will not change that situation much, but we'll see how that shakes out, especially with Heinwald being on this banner.

Basically, I feel there is an important difference between not wanting to continue fighting and wanting to quit. I have seen whole rooms retry several times in a row on an early death/bomb-based wipe countless times running HJP in the past, but now that is a very long process and people are much more likely to quit. Well, I feel like (across all high dragons) that waiting time could already be long enough that it prompted people to quit if someone remaining didn't die fast enough, but this is obviously now much worse. I understand wanting people to make use of the revive feature to push through and continue fighting, but also don't think it makes much sense to force people to commit to a false start when they could retry the fight and practice not making the same mistake faster (and now potentially get an extra tail too). This comes across as a frustrating side effect rather than intentionally trying to change player behavior or balance certain groups or something, especially at a time when newer players would benefit a lot from learning through repeating the quest more.

It is maybe also a little frustratingly ironic that it's probably the fight that anyone quitting due to dying would actually matter the least in, if everyone at least lasts till the break first!

Yeah, I also have a chip on my shoulder with how badly Gleo messed with the meta, despite owning her, which is why I was quick to root for anything that potentially dissuaded it. To an irrational degree. I realize that now after sleeping on it.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to mentor in Expert HDTs is a freaking nightmare.

Just finding someone who hasn't cleared is hard to do. Then once you've finally found someone they will be simply the worst. I'm talking 'I will make the wrong decision at every opportunity' bad. You'd think that even if they didn't know the fight they'd still occasionally do the right thing by accident, but no way.

I managed to get two mentoring clears on Expert, with one of those being what had to be a freaking 8 minute eHMS clear. Because two 6k might alliance buddies (by which I mean they were in the same alliance, not an ERA thing) decided to host a room together, including a Marth who must have thought he was a ranged character because I sure didn't see him hitting the boss that often. I had to switch over to H!Lowen for that one so we had a lone 9k might Xania who probably had to do like 80% of the damage.

That aside, H!Lowen is stupid tanky once you get his buffs up. There were several times during that run where I thought for sure I was dead (thanks to practically every single spit being baited in my direction) only to survive. I was running Phoenix for the extra babysitting, which probably helped. But I was able to tank a gale even when not at full HP for the defense bonus from GMYW, so that's pretty nuts.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Why doesn't Cleo have nerfs like Delphi, it makes no sense.

If we're talking about at Gleo's release, it's because they weren't sure how to budget buff/debuff zones at the time. They severely underestimated how potent buff and debuff zones are despite needing to stay in a singular spot, and gave basically no damage penalty for essentially having a dedicated buff/debuff/heal skill that doubled as a DPS skill, which is why Gleo and W! Eli have relatively over-tuned kits compared to their peers. They've since learned from their mistake by appropriately penalizing the zone skills by either having the skills deal relatively low damage like G! Euden/H! Mym, have a trade-off like Delphi's reduced strength, or have a really high SP cost like Akasha's Vital Gate.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Once the fervor of people competing to get newbie Wyrmite is done, I'm assuming things will level out and folks will calm down. People will think of the mentor bonus as just a small benefit to ensure completely new players are basically guaranteed their first clears. You are definitely gonna have more luck personally looking for new players instead of participating in the PUB-ing madness that's currently going on.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, is it going that poorly? I've done Volk this morning so I haven't seen it yet.

Was hoping to wait a few days before I went out of my way to do it, since some alliance members want to try some fights and that'd cover some of it anyway. Not sure if I should try to get a few now to be safe, or if it'll be better later...

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
It is really just Expert that's the issue. Standard is fine since a strong player can just hard carry the rest of the team, but in Expert having an 8.8k+ might character on the team doesn't guarantee anything so people still need to be able to pull their weight. And the few Expert mentees I've run into this morning totally can't. But I was able to get all five of my weekly Standard mentor bonuses really quickly this morning. Those are the ones to aim for anyway since they give 50 wyrmite for Standard and just 25 for Expert.

Regular Expert clears aren't much different in my experience, but then I'm in the 8k and up club so they've always been pretty smooth. There are still plenty of rooms looking to clear normally, as evidenced by how many I had to dodge when trying to find someone to mentor. Honestly I'd only try to get Expert mentor clears with alliance members or through discord.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It is really just Expert that's the issue. Standard is fine since a strong player can just hard carry the rest of the team, but in Expert having an 8.8k+ might character on the team doesn't guarantee anything so people still need to be able to pull their weight. And the few Expert mentees I've run into this morning totally can't. But I was able to get all five of my weekly Standard mentor bonuses really quickly this morning. Those are the ones to aim for anyway since they give 50 wyrmite for Standard and just 25 for Expert.

Regular Expert clears aren't much different in my experience, but then I'm in the 8k and up club so they've always been pretty smooth. There are still plenty of rooms looking to clear normally, as evidenced by how many I had to dodge when trying to find someone to mentor. Honestly I'd only try to get Expert mentor clears with alliance members or through discord.

...hmm. maybe eHMS is the way to go for me, cause I tried that just now for this and it went better than expected.

As MUB 6* Xania, I ended up with a Phoenix HLowen (1.5k strength, using 4.3) and had to carry an unmaxed Phoenix Xania (59 MC and level 89, 2UB Chimera T2, not quite 3k strength), thankfully with the help of a 0UB HD2 Mym. Still cleared in under 4 minutes and would have been decently faster if we hadn't broken right after golems showed up. So this feels fine to carry, though I already farmed enough tails in the past couple weeks to finish Victor's blade so it's a bit wasteful. (EDIT: I should also add that I'm only using Prometheus, as well.)

For this week, though, I can probably get the other experts just with my alliance so it'll be next week that I actually have to test it. Well, I could probably stretch purely using my alliance over a decent amount of time if we really planned it out... but with revives out I'd much rather just help people start running together for normal reasons. Not exactly reasonable to burden them with running in some optimal pattern where we only get one first clear at a time and they have to wait weeks, and so on.

Last edited:

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I do think eHMS is probably the best way to go about it in terms of potentially getting Expert newbie Wyrmite. With 70 MC for 3-star/story adventurers, Volcanic Chimera, and the flame tree, there's just a lot more a new player can do to have a good shot at meaningfully contributing compared to the the other HDTs, plus it's where I and a lot of folks recommend new players ought to start in terms of getting into eHDTs. Having an associated chimera weapon does a lot in terms of breaking into the cycle I feel.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
In perfect conditions I could easily see Hunter Berserkers Force Strike doing over 300k
This was also with only a 2UB Agito weapon,
75% strength buff and no defence reduction.

C0jorEf.jpg

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The range on H! Berserker's FS is also really long (he can hit Volk from 2-3 tiles away with it), he's basically a pseudo ranged unit.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Free tenfold summon of the day. Rainbow crystal is dropping. Dayum!

Reveal : Cupid.

Dammit!

...Well I'm not gonna complain too much, since it allowed me to have my 2nd MUB Cupid.
Are... are you me? Because this is what happened to me this morning, exactly.
Free ten pull: Cupid
10 pull ticket: Hunter Berserker and AC-011 Garland

Not a bad way to start off, although I should just stick to the free 10 pulls till those are over

Hilariously, I ALSO got a Cupid with my ten-pull last night. MUB now so I'm happy regardless!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Since the the two Rathalos Trials don't have timers, you can just load up on healers and eventually win. I did that on my F2P NOTTE alt using Euden, Elisanne (with 5.3 core lance with a team heal), Felicia, and Cleo.