• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Mike Laidlaw (co-lead on Origins, lead on 2 & Inquisition), James Ohlen (co-lead on Origins), Brent Knowles (co-lead on Origins), David Gaider (lead writer on Origins, 2, & Inquisition), i.e. most of the creative leads on the series: all gone.
I knew this series was functionally dead when Laidlaw left after the first reboot. I don't know if we'll be getting something but if people felt Inquisition wasn't in the spirit of the series, just wait.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
jschreier we need the scoop, things are getting ugly
Read this: https://kotaku.com/the-past-and-present-of-dragon-age-4-1833913351

Last week, just a few minutes after the publication of our Anthem report, EA and BioWare put out a statement (written before they could have read the article) that was disheartening to some current and former employees and felt almost dismissive of their issues. The next day, in an e-mail to employees, BioWare GM Casey Hudson sent a far more assuring message, promising change "to make BioWare the best possible place to work." But there have been several recent employee departures, with more (I hear) on the way, and wide-scale leadership improvements may take a long time.

The depression and anxiety that has been described by current and former BioWare employees didn't just result from crunch. It came from people who felt stressed and exhausted, who felt like they couldn't voice their opinions, who felt like their goal posts were constantly moving, who felt like they'd be targeted for speaking out. These were issues of management and leadership, not just scheduling. In order to protect the identities of employees who spoke to us for the Anthem article, we weren't able to share some of the saddest and more devastating anecdotes we heard during reporting, but they painted an ugly picture.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
qxzcri8.jpg
It's only a matter of time now.
RIP bioware.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Despite all efforts to counter it, success is finite.

Sometimes the best of something can only be made once.

I think it's time for Bioware to move on to either something else or go for a reimagined spiritual successor.

Dec 25, 2018
I have had my issues with Biowares recent games and the stuff that came out about working there, but damn some of you are really eager for that comic to become a reality instead of them fixing their issues...

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
With CDPR, Obsidian, Larian and more recently Owlcat Games active in the wrpg/crpg space, Im not as troubled by Biowares struggle as I would otherwise have been. Hopefully they will pull through though, because despite everything, I think that the world of Dragon Age is one of the most interesting and well developed in all of gaming, even if I found the critical path narrative underwhelming in a few of the DA games.

Even if they dont make it however, I think wrpg fans will be fine. Not only because of all the quality developers in that space, but also because its debatable if Bioware can even be classified as an actor in that space anymore, considering the path that they have chosen.

Oct 27, 2017
With CDPR, Obsidian, Larian and more recently Owlcat Games active in the wrpg/crpg space, Im not as troubled by Biowares struggle as I would otherwise have been. Hopefully they will pull through though, because despite everything, I think that the world of Dragon Age is one of the most interesting and well developed in all of gaming, even if I found the critical path narrative underwhelming in a few of the DA games.

Even if they dont make it however, I think wrpg fans will be fine. Not only because of all the quality developers in that space, but also because its debatable if Bioware can even be classified as an actor in that space anymore, considering the path that they have chosen.
Problem with Obsidian is they're exclusive now.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly from what we know about the work conditions at EA it actually makes me a little happy to see people leave.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Casey Hudson has never been involved with Dragon Age at all.

Mike Laidlaw (co-lead on Origins, lead on 2 & Inquisition), James Ohlen (co-lead on Origins), Brent Knowles (co-lead on Origins), David Gaider (lead writer on Origins, 2, & Inquisition), i.e. most of the creative leads on the series: all gone.

Only "key players" still around are probably Patrick Weekes and Mark Darrah (not to diminish the work by many at the studio, but I assume by "key players" you mean those in positions that set the vision for the project).

Very concerning at this point. Anthem, Andromeda and if DA4 is anything like that, then... well.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I did remember your article but had forgotten the bit about more people were expected to leave in the coming months. So possibly this is just the continued fallout, and maybe even an indication that the promises that were made 4 months back were simply empty. They painted a picture that they were open to criticism and feedback, but the truth of the matter seems different.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I wish I felt that way. There may be a lot of companies making WRPGs but nothing else quite scratches that BioWare itch.
Well with all hands on deck for DA4, and (hopefully) with the lessons learned from their previous two very public flops, I think its reasonable to expect a game that at least matches DA:I in quality, which would be good enough for me. Maybe that wont be enough for EA however, but if all we get is just one more pretty good Bioware RPG that scratches that itch, then I will see it as a win.

The biggest threat to DA4 being decent in my opinion are the EA GaaS mandates, or more specifically a scenario where Bioware, feeling that they need to make up for two consecutive flops, go beyond the required mandates in an attempt to prove to EA that they can be a cash cow. Like, a marginal hit at this point maybe wont even put them in the green considering the past few years. The pressure might push them to go all out on GaaS, with an optimism that they can somehow combine the strengths of Old Bioware with an always online/GaaS model, and hoping for an Apex like hit. Im not sure that the end result of such a scenario would be in line with what wrpg fans would want, nor do I think that Bioware has what it takes to pull that off.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have had my issues with Biowares recent games and the stuff that came out about working there, but damn some of you are really eager for that comic to become a reality instead of them fixing their issues...
Bioware seemingly going for a three-peat shows that fixing their issues hasn't been a thing they've been capable of

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bioware seemingly going for a three-peat shows that fixing their issues hasn't been a thing they've been capable of
I do agree the constant cynicism is too much. I've seen companies turn things around, and we have no remote idea what the state of DA4 is in.

Maybe the comic that's been posted over and over for years will come true, maybe they'll blow all our minds instead. But I definitely do get the vibe that enough people want to almost will the comic into reality so they can brag about "calling it" all the years ago.

I'd MUCH rather they fix things up and have a second renaissance of great titles, even if the old guard has left.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
First Anthem, now this.

It's sad to see what's happened to BioWare over the past few years.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I wish I felt that way. There may be a lot of companies making WRPGs but nothing else quite scratches that BioWare itch.
BioWare is the only other company next to CD Projekt and Bethesda that make highly cinematic AAA games with roleplaying and conversation choice that really can impact things, and they always have some kind of custom protagonist which makes them some of the most personalized adventures you could have in the AAA space. Even CD Projekt hasn't really nailed the personalization to the level BioWare has but CyberPunk might do that. But I also find BioWare makes these inherently humanitarian games with a lot of optimism in them, even the doomsday ridden Mass Effect plotline which had plenty of wholesome story arcs.

That's what we'll lose but I would also be lying if I said BioWare's writing hasn't become a shell of its former self. Even the best writers can't champion how generally worse the quality of writing for story and dialogue has become in their last 3 or so games. It started going in the wrong direction when plotting fell off a cliff, as early as ME2 and DA2, and then ME3 marked a start for worsening conversation dialogue, and Andromeda and Anthem kind of put it into the ground.
I think its reasonable to expect a game that at least matches DA:I in quality, which would be good enough for me.
I'm expecting a game that feels much better to play. I also suspect they're currently reappropriating the Javelin modes in Anthem into multiple classes, probably without the ability to fly but I could see the Colossus becoming a Qunari smasher class and Interceptor being an elf with a bow and dual blades and stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
If they can just get back to a focused experience, that emphasizes player choice and character relationships, I think DA4 will be fine.

Instead they've been chasing the open-world brass ring for three games now with worse and worse results.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Still salty over the the 'reboot' of project Joplin. It sounded like just what the doctor ordered for BioWare, gameplay and brand-wise.

jschreier said:
You'd play as a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium, a wizard-ruled country on the north end of Dragon Age's main continent, Thedas. The goal was to focus as much as possible on choice and consequence, with smaller areas and fewer fetch quests than Dragon Age: Inquisition. (In other words, they wanted Joplin to be the opposite of the Hinterlands.) There was an emphasis on "repeat play," one developer said, noting that they wanted to make areas that changed over time and missions that branched in interesting ways based on your decisions, to the point where you could even get "non-standard game overs" if you followed certain paths.

Why can't we have nice things?