• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that multiple producers are leaving BioWare in relatively rapid succession (this is two in the same week) is a bad sign.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA is realigning the company on an internal level and asked a bunch of producers to step down rather than be fired.

Wasn't one of the Kotaku articles of this year putting a lot of blame on producers at Bioware for their "it'll come together at the end" mentality?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
BioWare is a huge studio, people probably leave every week, and new people will join to replace them.

Producers aren't just "people", though. It's a high-ranking position and generally in the same ballpark, power-wise, as a creative director. Losing producers off of two major projects in the same week is not something to just shrug off - it means something is changing within BioWare, and not necessarily for the better.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
qxzcri8.jpg
Would be funny if there wasn't a realistic chance of it actually becoming the truth. If this Dragon Age game flops we should definitely fear the worst.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Don't worry everyone this just means that Dragon Age 4 is almost done and he isn't really needed anymore. I mean that's always what this means isn't it? No need for concern.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Melo used to post a fair amount back in the DA:Origins days back on the old BioWare forums.

Its not so much any one person leaving but the numerous departures they've had from people that had been around since the DA:Origins days really gives me pause, in addition to the questionable quality of all their recent games.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Without a doubt big internal shakeups. These people are not liking the marching orders from EA and are getting the fuck out. Or they know that Bioware is dead and taking their talent elsewhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Without a doubt big internal shakeups. These people are not liking the marching orders from EA and are getting the fuck out. Or they know that Bioware is dead and taking their talent elsewhere.

Yeah. My thought is that EA has come down hard on them after Anthem's utter failure to take off, and a lot of producers are being asked to either completely realign their way of doing business or step aside.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I dream of a world where Microsoft bought BioWare instead of EA post ME1.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes. What do all of these departures tell us? The working environment must be pretty bad there, I would think everyone must see it as a sinking ship so they're looking out for opportunities which is good for them. Not that I was looking forward to DA4 (I stopped caring about Bioware games right around Mass Effect 3), but I'd love it if Bioware regains its glory of ye olde days.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's nearly the end of BioWare but they aren't the company they were. They haven't put out a proper BioWare game since mass effect 3 although DA:I did have some BioWare magic

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
1xoGZoZ.gif

Please let this game come out. I really want to go to the Tevinter Imperium and start a mage character, maybe even see blood mage make a comeback. Come on!!!!

Dragon Age is like the last game's story I bothered to get into, and it's lore. Now I just ignore them and try to rush to gameplay, especially for level up and loot rpgs. I tried getting into Tyranny but it was seemingly all story and no gameplay. Pillars of Eternity is cool, but I just focus on the awesome fights and stop caring about the story. Go out with a nuclear bang Dragon Age.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I dream of a world where Microsoft bought BioWare instead of EA post ME1.

I'm gonna be honest, BioWare was probably going to arc in this general direction regardless of who bought them.

The kinds of games they make simply aren't ultra-conducive to the ultra-profitable AAA experience, and Microsoft at that time likely would've tried to do the same things with them that EA did in terms of making them move in that same direction.

Maybe they'd be in a better place now, but that would have been Mattrick-era Microsoft buying Bioware.

Exactly. Who knows if they'd have even lived long enough to reach 2019 if they got absorbed by Mattrick's Microsoft.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the Jason Schreier write-up after the game's out (assuming it makes it that far).

Village

Oct 25, 2017
all i wanted was DA instead I got a bad ME and anthem, ontop of the horrible human cost in making those games exist

this does not inspire hope

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Next month is typically the busiest time of year for recruiting, for executives and other high profile positions to move elsewhere after the summer comes to a close.

That timing seems weird. Schools started here two weeks ago and I imagine most of the country starts sometime this month. Maybe most of these jobs are in the same geographic area so it doesn't really matter but personally I would have a hard time relocating after the school year begins unless you are giving me an outrageous increase in pay.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy DA:I. I would gladly take another that cleaned up a few of the weakness.
Yeah same, although I had to learn to adjust to it's arpg feel. I lived in DA MP for like 700 hours and when I went back to SP I was basically godlike, with only focusing on one character, and setting up the AI to handle their own business, completely the opposite of how I played DA1 and 2. The story was still captivating for me, and things like the time jump to see Leliana in that castle were so good, Morrigan, Alistar, etc., etc. Leliana was my favorite from DA1, especially her dlc. Seeing how she ended in that timeline got me, where Avengers Endgame and especially Infinity War "moments" kind of made me laugh.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Holding out hope for DA4 until Patrick Weekes leaves Bioware. He wrote Trespasser and the character of Solas so I'm hoping he can deliver something great with DA4. If he leaves, I'll have truly lost all hope.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine development would have to be real bad for that. The last DA was their most successful game ever I think.

It was, yet EA still killed initial work on a sequel because Inquisition wasn't profitable enough re: continuous revenue stream. Everyone that was originally working on DA4 got moved to all hands on deck for Anthem.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
DA4 still has its executive producer, creative lead, and lead writer (well, the alternates since David and Mike are long gone).

BioWare loves its producers. Everybody is a producer these days. Spreadsheets for days.

I don't think Fernando's departure really means anything for the game itself, though BioWare definitely continues to dwindle.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
The wheels at Bioware are really coming off huh :/

I know that the Bioware of today isn't the Bioware that made Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect, but damn am I going to be heartbroken if this studio closes.