• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Also, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK you if you have a connection that says it's 4 or 5 bars on the match found screen but then quickly proves to be terrible in a match where it pauses every few seconds.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Noob boob here. What's the significance of ordering your 3 fighters.and what types should be in each slot
Traditional versus game knowledge classifies fighters in a team as point/middle/anchor. The middle is sometimes the assist character but not always (that could be the anchor too.)

Point: The character who leads the battle in your team. They are usually characters who have great movement or mixups and don't require a lot of meter usage to do damage. Because the point character has access to both assists, they get their pressure and damage from extended combos or strings using the assist. Think Wolverine in MvC3 or Trunks/A16/A.Gohan in this game. The point character builds more meter than they use, which can be utilized by their teammates.

Middle/Assist: The middle character takes over after the point dies. The middle character usually fits one of two roles: a) doing big damage using the anchor's assist and meter built by point; OR b) being the filler assist character for the team when the anchor is the main damage dealer/comeback character. Almost any character can be example of (a). For examples of (b) think of Dr.Doom in UMvC3, or Vegeta in this game.

Anchor/Assist: Like the middle character, the anchor can play one of two roles. (a) a comeback character who can steal games off solo OR (b) a character picked only for their assist and put in the last spot so they can assist both point or middle. Example of the former could be Tien. Example of latter is vegeta or Goku Black. I guess Kid Buu fits either category because of how stupid his offence is.

However, this is traditional versus knowledge where kills come quick and easy (like in UMvC3). This setup might not work in Fighterz because characters are well rounded and there's no character who's only good at being assist or damage dealing. Sonicfox put it nicely.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Also, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK you if you have a connection that says it's 4 or 5 bars on the match found screen but then quickly proves to be terrible in a match where it pauses every few seconds.
Yeah, it seems to read the current connection quality and not the overall quality. I've seen the connection icon change during the match found screen, event hough I've configured to only connect with 4+ bars.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I often read here about anchor, middle, main... I'm the only one that changes my team depending on my opponent?
I find some chars. more effective or easy to use against some other, so I actually change them during battle also in considering who i am fighting.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else playing with an Xbox One pad? My execution of quarter circles is not consistent on this thing for me. Any tips? I don't really want to buy a stick right now. Or maybe I should just get a PS4 pad. That would be somewhat cheaper.
playing on a XB1 controller on PC

haven't had any trouble pulling quarter circles. switch to half circles if its not working out. if that doesn't pan out either then consider buying a dedicated fightpad like the Hori Fighting Commando

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to remove jump from the dpad? Every FUCKING time I try and block it doesn't because it reads me hold back as holding up and back which means I get hit.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like characters who have DPs shouldn't be able to Vanish cancel them on block or on hit. It makes putting any pressure at all on them a terrible situation.
On block you can punish it always. Delay the 2H.

Also won my weekly again this week @ Xanadu. This time without dropping a single set.

Mostly used Trunks/Goku Black/SSJ Vegeta until Winner's Finals and Grand Finals where I used Adult Gohan/SSJ Goku/SSJ Vegeta.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I fucking suck so hard at this shit on PC. I've only won about 20 matches out of 60.

Everytime they see through my moves. They always get me with the down+heavy attack no matter what I do.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
While it is pretty early to make tier lists, it's interesting seeing these. A list of how much a character shows up in the teams of the top 100 players on PSN, and a potential assist tier list which I think can start being discussed. I mostly agree with this person's take on it.... but I think Gotenks assist has a lot of room to be explored, and 18's might be not just decent, but amazing if more setups with it are found.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I spent like an hour practicing combos and shit, went to ranked and I forgot everything I learned.

I have zero experience with team based fighting games but I am still having fun
That's so me.
I do use story mode to get a little bit of practice, but in a real match I can hardly pull off anything and just revert back to mashing. I just have such a hard time opening up people who know how to guard well, and then when I do get a hit in I can never convert it into a combo because I'm already frantically hitting buttons. The lag certainly doesn't help either.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally managed to get a copy of this game and boy is unlocking Blue Vegeta/Goku gonna be tedious... it's real dumb that these two along with 21 aren't unlocked when you buy the season pass.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I finally managed to get a copy of this game and boy is unlocking Blue Vegeta/Goku gonna be tedious... it's real dumb that these two along with 21 aren't unlocked when you buy the season pass.
If you bought the Season pass, then Android 21 can be unlocked for free. At least that was the case for me on US PSN. It's possible it's not on Steam/X1 or other PSN regions.

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I keep getting kicked out of the matches/lobby recently which makes me look like a ragequitter at times. Sad state of affairs 2 weeks after launch.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I have been talking with my friends for awhile about U.Gohan's assist and it just not being all that great (and usually pretty unreliable in corner extensions) and I feel kinda vindicated about this.

Because of this, I have been coming more around to Point U.Gohan.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

For some people that just loved using their bars on Vanish, Vegeta DP into Vanish was just crazy. I am totally going to blow a Vegeta the fuck up the next time I see one online that tries this.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Man Teen Gohan is not played at all. I've played 324 matches online and cannot remember ever fighting one (although I probably did early on). Does he just suck or something?

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need someone to train with on PC but I couldnt even get a ring match going last week with a steam friend :<

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Man Teen Gohan is not played at all. I've played 324 matches online and cannot remember ever fighting one (although I probably did early on). Does he just suck or something?

He's a very good point character. I'm guessing it's because his assist isn't great people don't pick him as often as he kind of limits your team building options.

Edit: somehow I read the post as 'adult gohan', oops

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

I'm probably biased because I use him, but I feel like people are sleeping on him if he's not played much.
He's the perfect anchor if you're looking for someone to pop sparking and make a comeback. He can get 8k damage solo from 3 bars, which is huge.

His assist isn't great, although it's good for beating super dashes.

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017

I play him but will be dropping him soon. His ground conversions are poor and his assist isn't as good as I'd like.

Jan 15, 2018

I like him a lot actually (as an anchor with level 3 sparking he is a beast), and since my point character is 16, I call his assist right as he dunks the other character and I can extend the combo from anywhere on the screen. He also has great damage, and his level 5 super is really good and looks cool. But his range is a problem, and his solo combos can be a pain. Adult Gohan is WAY better, but I still love Teen Gohan and I wont take him out of my team.

I play him but will be dropping him soon. His ground conversions are poor and his assist isn't as good as I'd like.

I feel that this is the main problem with him.

So is Yamcha/Trunks/Hit just not viable or something? I'm doing the longest combos I can in practice mode with them and they seem to pale in comparison to what people can elbow drop me with in matches through their assists.

The problem with that team is damage. Those 3 characters main attribute is that they can open up their opponents easily, but they have low solo and meterless damage. You could make it work, but you need to learn how to setup your opponent, extend combos and use a ton of meter.

Abyss

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 20k away from getting supreme kai rank but it seems to be taking a bit longer to find a match and the few I have found had bad connection

Vakuf

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, I am trying to play local battle on PC with a xbox one controller and a keyboard but both controllers are assigned to player 1, is there a way to assign the keyboard to player 2?

seansmith9322

Oct 31, 2017
Traditional versus game knowledge classifies fighters in a team as point/middle/anchor. The middle is sometimes the assist character but not always (that could be the anchor too.)

Point: The character who leads the battle in your team. They are usually characters who have great movement or mixups and don't require a lot of meter usage to do damage. Because the point character has access to both assists, they get their pressure and damage from extended combos or strings using the assist. Think Wolverine in MvC3 or Trunks/A16/A.Gohan in this game. The point character builds more meter than they use, which can be utilized by their teammates.

Middle/Assist: The middle character takes over after the point dies. The middle character usually fits one of two roles: a) doing big damage using the anchor's assist and meter built by point; OR b) being the filler assist character for the team when the anchor is the main damage dealer/comeback character. Almost any character can be example of (a). For examples of (b) think of Dr.Doom in UMvC3, or Vegeta in this game.

Anchor/Assist: Like the middle character, the anchor can play one of two roles. (a) a comeback character who can steal games off solo OR (b) a character picked only for their assist and put in the last spot so they can assist both point or middle. Example of the former could be Tien. Example of latter is vegeta or Goku Black. I guess Kid Buu fits either category because of how stupid his offence is.

However, this is traditional versus knowledge where kills come quick and easy (like in UMvC3). This setup might not work in Fighterz because characters are well rounded and there's no character who's only good at being assist or damage dealing. Sonicfox put it nicely.

This is a great explanation thank you for the help.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
My first ever fight stick arrived this morning.

8qzYW52.jpg

I played with it for about an hour. Obviously will take a lot of work to get used to it, but I have been really enjoying using it. First game I couldn't even land a single Kamehameha, but after messing around in practice mode for half an hour I was soon able to use most attacks fairly regularly. R1 being to the left of L1 will take some getting used to.

I just couldn't get used to and didn't like using the d-pad after basically ignoring it since the PS1 and found using the left stick quite inaccurate at times for things like movement and blocking. I have no doubt that the fightstick will take me many weeks to learn, but hopefully by the end of it I will find it a much more natural way to play than forcing myself to try to use the d-pad.

Last edited:

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While it is pretty early to make tier lists, it's interesting seeing these. A list of how much a character shows up in the teams of the top 100 players on PSN, and a potential assist tier list which I think can start being discussed. I mostly agree with this person's take on it.... but I think Gotenks assist has a lot of room to be explored, and 18's might be not just decent, but amazing if more setups with it are found.

Came from a tournament yesterday, GGCIce got 3rd and he was one of the few 18 players there. He was saying he's starting to see why people are saying she isn't that good...because she has no real pressure. Plenty of mixups, but no real pressure, not midscreen anyway.

I'm starting to see it too, alot of high players are super aggressive with their rushdown and once they touch you, you're in the shit. Alot of the top picks now are able to get you locked down from pretty much anywhere and convert into something nasty. 18's neutral pretty much entirely revolves around 17.

I feel like 18 is pretty much unblockable in the corner, but you have to get them there first, which seems to be the issue.

I'm currently thinking of just dropping Beerus, at least until I develop a better strategy to a) get him into the corner with hard knockdown, and b) actually make his corner pressure something that results in oppressive kills, because at the moment i'm noticing that people are literally getting out of it by mistake if they don't respect it...which is a terrible flaw to corner pressure....waiting for someone to get some nasty tech with him but it's looking rough :(

Status
Not open for further replies.