• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Played with Ginyu a lot on this ps4 story mode. But because this story mode has major faults I wasnt able to use Ginyu the whole time. only during one arc ;(

my point is I find him refreshing and fun to play. Just hate his comrades come out randomly. But guess thats good due to the inf hitstun bug

I feel bad because I came into this thread to say I wanted to get better at it since I'm new to to the game. I had no idea the meta was pretty much Black + Vegeta + whoever because I'm having a lot of fun using those two + Frieza.
Black is my fav Super villain. I have no qualms going full Goku team on people

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I swear if Fused Zamasu doesn't do his crazy laugh I'm trading the game in on both consoles and deleting the game from my steam account. What are you guys hoping his victory pose is? I put what I'm hoping it is in spoilers if you're watching the dub don't click that.
I hope it's where he turns into the universe like after Trunks slashes him

closer

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i definitely thought id end up as some sort of ginyu or nappa player but i selected 18/hit early on and i guess theres no going back.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
lol WOW. The last page was like the wrong ass page to randomly click on as I randomly thought to myself today "I should pick up DBZ"

Guess I'll wait?

closer

Oct 25, 2017
If you're interested id just get it, theres no indication that there will be any fundamental changes in the near future. You can get it on steam and return it before playing 2 hrs too. If u want some counter-perspective, i dont personally mind the meta at all lol

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw on Reddit they are doing a Zamasu trailer on the 25th it's getting streamed on some Japanese site.

Subarashii

lol WOW. The last page was like the wrong ass page to randomly click on as I randomly thought to myself today "I should pick up DBZ"

Guess I'll wait?

Yeah, I mean you can have tons of fun with this game while not caring about Tier lists.

Just don't expect to win evo anytime soon not playing a couple of those guys. ;p

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

Guess I'll wait?
These issues are way less pronounced if you just play casually like myself. You gotta realize a lot of the guys complaining have like almost 1,000 ranked games. They are top tier and ofc matchmaking takes forever that high up like almost any other competitive game (I see top tier League players play video games while they wait in queue and this was pre-Overwatch)

I'm super happy with 60 PC ranked games and 80 ps4 ranked. Granted, not to make light of their issues cause it's all true. Many, many things are beyond strange and not really thought thru

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of dropping Goku Blue because I'm finding him kinda boring lately. I tried Bardock a lot last night and he seems like a pretty great point character with how he can cancel his bionic arm into his javelin super, into an assist's super, into another assist's super. I managed to get a 9.3k combo with him and Teen Gohan's level 3 in training mode. I know that's not super impressive but it's the most damage I've done in the game. It has a pretty impractical starter though, his fully charged 236S.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah bardock looks really fun and very moldable to a team

Im kinda hoping big zam or vegetto can be my anchor, im enjoying learning ssj goku but i want something a little more sneaky. Still need to learn his sparking mixups tho

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know a good training regime for this game? I get bodied when I play offline and I don't have good enough connection to practice online, so I don't know how I should use my time to learn the game

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Guess I'll wait?
It's definitely worth picking up. We're mostly complaining about how stale high level competitive play is...something no one here actually participates in.

In other words, we're complaining that our stream viewing experience is subpar right now. :-P

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a good training regime for this game? I get bodied when I play offline and I don't have good enough connection to practice online, so I don't know how I should use my time to learn the game

This is pretty rough, but the thing to do is to revisit your local matches, shore up weaknesses in training (you can use the recording feature in training to practice scenarios), and then try out the solutions you come up with in those matches. It sucks that you cant just jump into internet matches tho, where you will get matchup experience and nice test dummies for new stuff u figure out

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah bardock looks really fun and very moldable to a team

Im kinda hoping big zam or vegetto can be my anchor, im enjoying learning ssj goku but i want something a little more sneaky. Still need to learn his sparking mixups tho

Yeah I'm waiting on Vegito and Zamasu to start building a new time. I'm thinking Android 18 because she looks really fun, Vegito because it's Vegito, and someone else.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
18 is pretty fun, i feel like im problem solving when im playing her. Both her and hit, in my experience, feel like u have to kinda upset the rhythm to be successful

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
dbz's meta is always gonna be kinda stale tbh. the game's way too simple mechanically rn and there's no incentive to play weird characters (aside from 21)
also it's a tag game and no good tag game is balanced

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. So that Goku Blue / Piccolo experiment was a huge wash and made me hate Goku Blue, so I was content to put Piccolo on the backburner for now, focus on the Bluegeta team, and find some other character to fulfill my goofy ass sub team ambitions. Then I saw this while scrolling through random discords...

HMMMMMMMMM.....

I guess now the question is who the hell goes well with Gotenks that isn't the typical "play Cell/Kid Buu/Beam/Vegeta" answer. I know Ginyu gets some goofy shit going with Gotenks behind him but then that's a team without any real neutral assists. Hmm....

EDIT: Ayyy that little extension I loved with Goku Blue works with Ginyu. Way easier to time too.

Meh, screw it. It can't go any worse than the last Piccolo related idea I had.

Last edited:

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
U4RHvkR.jpg

From the website. Aren't the stats different from V-Jump?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love that they used his "pure" form without the nasty half, but I also wish they would have worked it in somehow. Maybe as an install super that's permanent after activating or something

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So that Goku Blue / Piccolo experiment was a huge wash and made me hate Goku Blue, so I was content to put Piccolo on the backburner for now, focus on the Bluegeta team, and find some other character to fulfill my goofy ass sub team ambitions. Then I saw this while scrolling through random discords...

HMMMMMMMMM.....

I guess now the question is who the hell goes well with Gotenks that isn't the typical "play Cell/Kid Buu/Beam/Vegeta" answer. I know Ginyu gets some goofy shit going with Gotenks behind him but then that's a team without any real neutral assists. Hmm....

I think youll be really pleased with gotenks, just using the 214h looks really fun

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I think the game is worth picking up, but it comes down to what you're looking for. Content is pretty barebones, but if you want a fun battle system to play around with, you'd be good to go.

I haven't touched this game in weeks. No desire to. Waiting for Zamasu, though.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I love that they used his "pure" form without the nasty half, but I also wish they would have worked it in somehow. Maybe as an install super that's permanent after activating or something

People already mentioned this a lot, but it would be too much work for Arc. Might as well just make him a separate character.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I swear if Fused Zamasu doesn't do his crazy laugh I'm trading the game in on both consoles and deleting the game from my steam account. What are you guys hoping his victory pose is? I put what I'm hoping it is in spoilers if you're watching the dub don't click that.
I hope it's where he turns into the universe like after Trunks slashes him

No offense my old friend (you know I'm patchday from ij2-gaf) but I see you're still super Casual. I just want him to look cool and be fun to play!

Super spoils:
I didnt like how in DBZ super he turns into the whole universe actually. They can leave that out :)

But yeah I definitely wouldnt quit the game over DLC or anything like that is my point lol

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
The characters are super different. It's just that ASW chose to downplay the differences, and as such many of the differences are pointless (Nappa summons, Frieza eye lasers, Beerus balls, etc.). This leads to people picking the character with the best fundamentals like Cell and A. Gohan,

If the differences are pointless I don't think they really count :P

There is some character variance but all the characters still feel like 90% the same. Personal opinion of course, but the two most dissimilar characters in DBZ feel more alike than the two most similar marvel 3 characters. I think some homogeneity is a good thing in a fighter- it gives the game a cohesiveness, and I think the other extreme is off-putting too- character-specific gimmicks taken far enough make a game overwhelming. In a tag fighter, striking that balance is really important- if characters are too different from one another, you couldn't freely experiment with different teams, which is the heart of this sub-genre of fighter. If the characters are too similar, experimentation is easy, but ultimately meaningless, and that's how DBZ feels to me at the moment.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
HMMMMMMMMM.....

Ginyu/Gotenks/Teen Gohan is my team, so I'll throw in a recommendation for Ginyu/Gotenks.
Tien'd probably work as an anchor there.

Edit: Oh, no beam. Hmmm... I'm not sure.

Oct 28, 2017
Ginyu/Gotenks/Teen Gohan is my team, so I'll throw in a recommendation for Ginyu/Gotenks.
Tien'd probably work as an anchor there.

Edit: Oh, no beam. Hmmm... I'm not sure.

Tien's not a bad idea. By beam I just meant I was really tired of putting Goku or Black on every team I make lol. Tien can probably get a double tried beam off of Ghost DHC. Maybe I'll give that a try when this Piccolo/Ginyu thing completely falls apart.

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth when it comes to balance and the meta I'm personally happy being easy on the game because its the first iteration of what's sure to be a popular series. I didn't really play fighting games until recently but I'm sure Marvel 1 was wack in its own way, I know that BlazBlue CT was wack compared to GG at the time and later iterations, and so on. If the sequel doesn't improve then I'd be bothered.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Tien's not a bad idea. By beam I just meant I was really tired of putting Goku or Black on every team I make lol. Tien can probably get a double tried beam off of Ghost DHC. Maybe I'll give that a try when this Piccolo/Ginyu thing completely falls apart.

Yeah, in the corner you can DHC from Ghosts into Tri-Beam, then Super Dash and extend the combo.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the differences are pointless I don't think they really count :P

There is some character variance but all the characters still feel like 90% the same. Personal opinion of course, but the two most dissimilar characters in DBZ feel more alike than the two most similar marvel 3 characters. I think some homogeneity is a good thing in a fighter- it gives the game a cohesiveness, and I think the other extreme is off-putting too- character-specific gimmicks taken far enough make a game overwhelming. In a tag fighter, striking that balance is really important- if characters are too different from one another, you couldn't freely experiment with different teams, which is the heart of this sub-genre of fighter. If the characters are too similar, experimentation is easy, but ultimately meaningless, and that's how DBZ feels to me at the moment.
I think that's all true and fair, but I think it's largely due to the source material. You can only make a DB character so different from his or her peers.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
No offense my old friend (you know I'm patchday from ij2-gaf) but I see you're still super Casual. I just want him to look cool and be fun to play!

Super spoils:
I didnt like how in DBZ super he turns into the whole universe actually. They can leave that out :)

But yeah I definitely wouldnt quit the game over DLC or anything like that is my point lol

Oh yeah, I'm not really gonna quit I was just exaggerating to be funny I'd never quit this it's about the only fighting game I'm not sick of I'm tired of both SFV and I2. It's just that for some reason I always end up dropping fighting games at launch to wait for the dlc characters since I almost always end up liking them better than the base roster.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I tried to boot up IJ2 after that patch where they refunded our respec tokens but just didnt feel like relearning Star-bae

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you make A. Gohan not a nightmare to fight? On top of the minutes of pressure he can dish out, he gets so much damage off of every damn hit. Making 5L a low was a stupid idea.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's all true and fair, but I think it's largely due to the source material. You can only make a DB character so different from his or her peers.
Piccolo could do a lot more with stretchy arms. Beerus' balls could be more dynamic and useful. Buu could do a hell of a lot more with his stretchy gummy nature. I think Gotenks should do more crazy shit, since his whole thing is coming up with nonsense like kamikaze ghosts, but unfortunately he's basically gone to the wayside in the actual show, so they've had no opportunity to provide more move types. Hit's cool? Nappa with a bigger focus on the saibaman gimmick could be really cool, but I don't think it'd fit his character to do too much of that, sadly.

I think that's all I got lol

Ginyu already has a large focus on assists, which I think works well for him. I'm a fan of Yamcha's nonsense, even if I'm garbage at it (and I have no idea if it's even any good).

It's true that a lot of characters in Dragon Ball have extremely similar attacks, but there are some that stick out, and I feel like they're woefully lacking in taking advantage of that.

Also tbh Adult Gohan should be much more of a bruiser. In the show he's basically just fuckin' brute force (despite ostensibly being The Smart One). But that's not so much a solution to this problem. Just a nitpick I've had since the beginning.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to boot up IJ2 after that patch where they refunded our respec tokens but just didnt feel like relearning Star-bae

I was playing trying to get Red Hoods legendary gear but I got so burned out after playing it almost exclusively for a year it just got to where it wasn't any fun anymore. Even playing online wasn't fun anymore I really wish NRS would do games as a service instead of just letting their games die after two years.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
You could make character specific air dash/super dash/vanish/whatever
properties to actually differentiate chars within their universal mechanics also.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus I need to go to bed. I'm on a huge losing streak because my pressure sucks and I can't figure out for the life of me how to open people up when they're fucking jumping around all the time. Like when I'm trying to go for a 50/50 mixup in the corner they jump and there goes my mixup. It's really hard for me to keep people in the corner. It puts me at a tremendous disadvantage.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Watching GO1's stream, I just came to a scary realization that I should have had since the beginning, especially since it's know that ASW basically designs their whole online interface with Japan in mind first and foremost with the rest of the world as an afterthought:

I don't think Japanese players are the type to constantly be dodging others based on their square color, or the type to constantly be rage quitting either. I feel like a lot of the issues the West complain about are not ones Japan has to deal with, so it's not something ASW would even care to ever address.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
You could make character specific air dash/super dash/vanish/whatever
properties to actually differentiate chars within their universal mechanics also.
Oh yeah definitely. I was really surprised when I played GG and Skullgirls and they had unique air dashes for everyone. Some don't even have one!

Also different ways of building meter. Or extra meters on top.

All that shit is super confusing for a layman (ie me), but it's really interesting once you start learning it. And fun.

All that said, the simplicity made DBFZ super accessible to me. And without that I probably wouldn't even be into fighting games at all. I've bounced off hard my entire life up until this game.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I play on a 360 fightpad on xbox one and PC and I just got the game on PS4 but I freaking hate the DS4 is there a fightpad for ps4 you guys would recommend? I'm looking at the SFV madcatz fightpad and it's 29 dollars is that one any good?

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Checkout something like this so you can continue using your favorite controller:
https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-Brook-Converter-Adapter-Keychain/dp/B01GDVGQ48

Watching GO1's stream, I just came to a scary realization that I should have had since the beginning, especially since it's know that ASW basically designs their whole online interface with Japan in mind first and foremost with the rest of the world as an afterthought:

I don't think Japanese players are the type to constantly be dodging others based on their square color, or the type to constantly be rage quitting either. I feel like a lot of the issues the West complain about are not ones Japan has to deal with, so it's not something ASW would even care to ever address.

When I came onboard in GG Xrd REV2 ranked had been long dead here in the US. ASW probably never had to deal with the US complaining all these years til now is my only guess. Since the population is big enough to actually support ranked.

But like you say, it seems doubtful they'll ever change their ways since they've had this 'player honor' ranked system for so many years.

I haven't had time to play ranked for a few days. But only seen the one ragequit I posted in the 80 ranked games I played on my journey to Frieza Clan (PS4). But I let my opponents press buttons so they really have no reason to bounce on me :)

Not to mention I think less than 8% of the population bothers with ranked according to trophies (trophies are just an estimate though, since some folks disable publishing trophies on their console but let's assume that is extremely rare). We are an extremely small vocal minority

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
They never had a need for ranked, honestly, because the player base simply utilized their giant arcade lobbies and occasionally player matches for sets. P4A/BB had my favorite "ranking" system since it was just players sitting at machines and letting whoever wanted to play, play. Colors were a rough gauge and they meant more there because it was the only measure you had and they were harder to gain as a result. They mutilated that structure for their half-assed ring and arena matches, though. Granted Xrd did away with colors for their vague ass arrow system which hurt it immensely there, too. I dunno, I just really loved the Team Blue ASW games in terms of their online infrastructure so it feels like a major step back. Netcode was better, too.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Bandai cares very much about the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.