• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I think vanish is fine tbh, with no cover you can 2h it and if someone uses an assist to cover they kinda just wasted meter unless they are trying to get out of the corner

Im open to new stuff tho, part of why i like fighting games is figuring out how it works

Most people don't use it raw though, they use it to cover things that should be unsafe or hella negative and then get a + frame advantage situation out of it. That's the part that's messed up to me. I'm all for spending a bar to save face in a situation, but having the advantage afterward is baffling to me. Even if it was just -1 frame on block that would have more positive potential outcomes for the person who blocked the vanish than the person who committed to it, and that's all I want. I feel like I shouldn't have to be stuck at disadvantage next to Cell, with his huge ass normals catching backdash, 3 lows, and insane pressure because I was unfortunate enough to have to block an angled beam.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think vanish is fine tbh, with no cover you can 2h it and if someone uses an assist to cover they kinda just wasted meter unless they are trying to get out of the corner

Im open to new stuff tho, part of why i like fighting games is figuring out how it works
Vanish being plus on block is stupid. The system as it is for getting out of tricky situations or out of the corner is fine, and you can get punished hard for it for abusing it. But also being able to keep your offense with this defensive tool doesn't make sense, especially when it's inconsistent based on height.

Making it minus oB (but safe, not punishable) is just intuitive (and how people felt it should be when the game first came out, hence people always getting counter hit when they thought it was their turn after blocking it). It would also remove a lot of the stupid pressure, like 16 being full screen away, doing j.S, and suddenly being in your face and it's time to guess what he's going to do (without being able to backdash because of his limbs).

Tornix

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm hoping 21 doesn't get hit too hard aside from removing the infinites. She's such a fun character right now.

I wasn't expecting any system changes before Evo. So that's a welcome surprise.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
In Discord I posted my hopes for a z-deflect buff. Like maybe make it last a few extra frames or is it the netcode itslef thats screwing me? Yesterday, as a test, I tried to z-deflect my way out of the corner. Think I tried it at least 5 times and it never worked.

Guess I'll watch the replay. I'm sure it's gonna be like, "Oh snap I'm a few frames too early". But wish it lasted longer or something. Seems hard to 'time it' during online play

I really need to put more effort into finding a local. See how this game plays when there's no lag involved.

edit- Shiii, you know what? I need to record a bot doing some blockstrings etc and just practice z-deflect. This might be my bad I just dunno

Oct 30, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think Vanish being plus on block has more to do with the weird (at least for me) way the game treats landing frames and how you can cancel them. Like, depending on the height of your opponent your Vanish can be plus, neutral, negative or somethimes even punishable. But I don't know if they would be willing to touch something that would essentially affect all jumping attacks.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Woops dbl post

More thought on vanish being negative since i claimed the real estate:

So i do the whole parry/backdash thing usually against vanish (this is discounting the whole blockstun->vanish->more pressure thing we're talking about). If it's say -2 on the ground, that means that the cast is incentivized to mash against a blocked vanish, so the suggestion here is to reverse pressure when a blocked vanish occurs? In the back of my head i also feel like 18 can fail mashing 5l against something like that but i have no proof lol.

One thing i was thinking about is special frame properties for vanish when hitting ppl already in block stun but thats probably needlessly complicated

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018
I agree with making vanish not plus, when I started playing the game it was infuriating. Maybe it's just me but the way it is animated does not look like a plus on block move.

Maybe make it plus on block with sparking?

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Huh I need to start doing that ^

"cancel everything with a super dash to make it safe." <--- Really really need to try that one.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you don't mean shit as in bad, because I personally think it's too good and obnoxious. You shouldn't be able to cancel everything with a super dash to make it safe.

I mean in shit as I hate the mechanic and wish it wasn't in the game haha.

Huh I need to start doing that ^

"cancel everything with a super dash to make it safe." <--- Really really need to try that one.

Good way to get constantly 2H'd.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
When you say this, what do you mean? What frame traps are there that can be cancelled with a super dash without a gap to 2H it?

From my experience, if the opponent is close enough to you they can super dash after a blocked 2H or 2M and the like without fear of getting punished by a 2H. Since they're so close, it's extremely difficult to punish on reaction so I'm forced to block and they can continue pressure. It also seems like if they're really close, my 2H is to slow on startup so I get counter hit by the super dash. It could be character specific too. Frieza for example is a lot harder to punish with a 2H for some reason and some characters have a worse 2H than others so they have a harder time punishing. I can't explain it but it's really annoying. I've gone to training mode against Frieza and I cannot seem to punish his super dash if he's too close to me.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
^ Yeah its hard to stop the SD spam if they're really close.

Hm, but I need to try this though. Maybe I'll just get 2H'ed into oblivion if it's only 2-4fr

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
From my experience, if the opponent is close enough to you they can super dash after a blocked 2H or 2M and the like without fear of getting punished by a 2H. Since they're so close, it's extremely difficult to punish on reaction so I'm forced to block and they can continue pressure. It also seems like if they're really close, my 2H is to slow on startup so I get counter hit by the super dash. It could be character specific too. Frieza for example is a lot harder to punish with a 2H for some reason and some characters have a worse 2H than others so they have a harder time punishing. I can't explain it but it's really annoying. I've gone to training mode against Frieza and I cannot seem to punish his super dash if he's too close to me.
That's fair enough. Generally, when they're close enough and they try something like 5H > SD, I can reliably 2H punish with A21. Though, yeah, that's more anticipatory than reactionary, and you can get punished for it if they decide to cancel into a special instead. With Broly, it seems harder for me to do the same, possibly due to his height.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair enough. Generally, when they're close enough and they try something like 5H > SD, I can reliably 2H punish with A21. Though, yeah, that's more anticipatory than reactionary, and you can get punished for it if they decide to cancel into a special instead. With Broly, it seems harder for me to do the same, possibly due to his height.

Yeah that's why I usually don't try it unless they're being extremely obvious with it. But most of the time I guess wrong and get punished by a Kamehameha or something.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Man do I hope the patch is good. Just please don't nerf shit that isn't the absolute top tier.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't go too far with 16 and completely wreck him. The only big change I think 16 needs is the armor on his 5H being tweaked

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Im def cool with some rethinking of his hard knockdown, whether it's more costly or if he has less options after the knockdown

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Im def cool with some rethinking of his hard knockdown, whether it's more costly or if he has less options after the knockdown
I'd be okay with 16 losing the hard knockdown on his light command grab but anything more might be taking it a little too far especially if Vegeta's assist gets nerfed at all

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, i dont expect too ham of changes in general since the patch seems to be kinda grand in scale. Potential stuff like a guard cancel change or vegeta assist change definitely has a wide arc of effect for the entire game, so they can def shoot themselves in the foot if the changes dony coalesce well

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, im just parroting something someone on reddit heard on stream, but in general my expectations are reserved lol. Also have 0 experience with asw patching, hopefully it's a good patch

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
My only experience is Blazblue but whenever that game was patched, they usually went a bit too far. Rachel from CT to CS for example.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I can see it. Along with gohan buffs as well.

Gohan's gonna be tough to adjust since everything he has functions so well in the context of the universal mechanics of the game. They'd have to lock a ton of stuff behind leveling him up to make him reasonable w/o fundamentally changing the character, IMO.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it. Along with gohan buffs as well.

I'd personally like to see 16 keep the HKD but just make it so he's further away making his oki not terrifying. I'd also would give him just one hit of armor on 5H

Yeah i was thinking this as an option too, if he's too far away for iad crossup

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly rather they buff some other assists rather than just nerf Vegeta's assist. But still, Vegeta's assist getting a nerf is a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.