• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's an ss Goku L1 that doesn't teleport? How do u do that then? Just saw this in an article but it quotes qcf for both?

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I've confused myself and can't remember if it's L or R without holding a controller, and I don't have one handy. Ahhhh!!!
No worries, I'll check the move list when I boot the game later.

Edit - yeah it's R1 which also acts as dragon rush. I didn't realise that done characters had multiple level ones! This helps me out as I kept missing with SS Goku's lv1 that teleports. My combo just got a lot better.

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm getting these weird white lines that make box shapes when playing online at the top of the screen on switch, but it's not like a glitch as they have the two players names in them. It's hard to explain but it sort of overlays the top of the screen as I've pressed something to call our names up. Anyone know what's going on?

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm getting these weird white lines that make box shapes when playing online at the top of the screen on switch, but it's not like a glitch as they have the two players names in them. It's hard to explain but it sort of overlays the top of the screen as I've pressed something to call our names up. Anyone know what's going on?

If it's what I think you're talking about, then that overlay is showing you the name they picked for themselves in DBFZ and their real account alias.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
i know its too early to make a judgment but from what I've seen, I haven't been too impressed by 17 other than his cool looking combos.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
OU73ACBl.jpg

Never thought I'd get here..... Really happy that I finally got Living Legend.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Just picked up the game on PC and am looking for a zoning focused team. In past VS style games I tended to play zoning teams MorriDoom, Cable/Sent, etc. What team in Fighter can get me closest to that? Or what shells support zoning in the game to some degree.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Just picked up the game on PC and am looking for a zoning focused team. In past VS style games I tended to play zoning teams MorriDoom, Cable/Sent, etc. What team in Fighter can get me closest to that? Or what shells support zoning in the game to some degree.

One of the biggest flaws of the game is that zoning isn't real because of superdash and vanish. Building a team around Frieza is probably your best bet. Maybe something like Vegito/Frieza/Gotenks.

Cant go wrong with either but Gotenks has the better assist

Yeah I think I'm set on Gotenks. RayRay makes the Kid Buu team look super fun but alot of Kid Buu's cool broken stuff is gone now and Gotenks does his job better despite having a very slightly weaker lockdown assist.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
One of the biggest flaws of the game is that zoning isn't real because of superdash and vanish. Building a team around Frieza is probably your best bet. Maybe something like Vegito/Frieza/Gotenks.

Yeah I think I'm set on Gotenks. RayRay makes the Kid Buu team look super fun but alot of Kid Buu's cool broken stuff is gone now and Gotenks does his job better despite having a very slightly weaker lockdown assist.

Thanks. If it doesn't work out I can always try whatever is the most oppressive in terms of lockdown in the game since that seems to be what dominates based on the streams I've seen .

Edit: I'm interested in base Goku's assist. ass does it work for a keep off/back away attack? It seems to have quite a bit of push back and block stun .

Last edited:

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Kid Buu, Gotenks, Cell, Goku Black, Frieza, Zamasu, SSJ Vegeta all have decent zoning tools but you aren't gonna make a real zoning team in this game unfortunately due to the system mechanics.

Thanks. If it doesn't work out I can always try whatever is the most oppressive in terms of lockdown in the game since that seems to be what dominates based on the streams I've seen .

Edit: I'm interested in base Goku's assist. ass does it work for a keep off/back away attack? It seems to have quite a bit of push back and block stun .

If you want a good back off assist, try Cooler's. It's like a 98% invincible DP. Base Goku's assist is moreso for corner carry and trapping people in the corner if they try to vanish out.

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How hard is the arcade hard mode? I'm trying the 5 matches route and stuck on match 4, Gohan is just nuts! I'm getting absolutely wrecked by him, is it airways this tough? How hard do good players find it?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
How hard is the arcade hard mode? I'm trying the 5 matches route and stuck on match 4, Gohan is just nuts! I'm getting absolutely wrecked by him, is it airways this tough? How hard do good players find it?
Good players don't like playing arcade mode since it's basically just exploiting the AI or else you lose to them input reading everything you do.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is the online play good here? Just a quick yes/no, I'll read through the thread later. Mostly interested in if it's well populated and stable.

Thinking about ordering this and another DS4 to play with my mates locally, but the online being good would tip me to buying right now.

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good players don't like playing arcade mode since it's basically just exploiting the AI or else you lose to them input reading everything you do.
That puts my mind at rest somewhat. Thanks! I was getting destroyed and could barely kill gohan with all three of my characters, it was like he was reading my mind Looks like he was!

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Is the online play good here? Just a quick yes/no, I'll read through the thread later. Mostly interested in if it's well populated and stable.

Thinking about ordering this and another DS4 to play with my mates locally, but the online being good would tip me to buying right now.
I play on PC in EU. In my experience the online is great, about 90/95% of my matches are good and I have no problems finding matches, only at 1 in the morning and beyond.

Problems I found, in some matches even if the connection is good there's lag when there's a bunch of particles on the screen. That's probably because the other person computer can't handle.
Also don't accept matches immediately, sometimes it shows full bars but after a few seconds the real connection is revealed.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Most of what I've played is decent and with enough people playing for lobbies to fill up on most days (PS4, NA).

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
LightBang are you compiling character usage stats from this weekend's Thunderstruck event thing? I got to see HGG vs Apologyman match so I was very satisfied :)

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I always find myself cheering against Supernoon cause he always finds a way to play the most unimaginable team possible. But everyone else was fun to watch with maybe Gish being the most interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
Tien's been mad underrated for a long while now. He's probably the best character that's outside of the current S tiers. Like peak of A+ level. He fits anywhere on almost any team as well. If the wave is coming now then it's overdue. That patch shored him up really nice and he's more than capable of being a constant major presence.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Four more tournaments, two last week and two this week including the Saga 4 Event.

Stock Rising - Cell, SSJ Vegeta, Tenshinhan, Vegetto, Goku Black, Kid Boo and Piccolo.
There's a lot of possible factors for this, including regions/players who are still holding to old teams, rediscover of old teams because the nerfs weren't that punishing, experimenting with new characters and realizing Tenshinhan is good(finally).
Piccolo is here because Hook and Warm Cereal Man are in part carrying him, but he still shows up here and there with other people.

Stock Crashing - SSJ Goku, Adult Gohan and Gotenks.
Gotenks and SSJ Goku seem to be more used in Japan. Adult Gohan..., seems like people prefer to focus on other characters? Or it's players aren't being successful? Weird because the character still seems pretty good.

My two cents is that some scenes are clearly behind the meta which explains the rise of the old top tiers(Mexico was full of them). Cell receives a bit of this but are people coming back to him because he's still pretty good.

SEAM next week is probably the most stacked FighterZ tournament since EVO. Shame GO1 won't be there or we would have the BIG 3.

Oh and Beerus finally made it in at the hands of SonicFox, it seems to be more than just an experiment.

Leaderboard(LAUNCH):

SSJ Vegeta - 33
Cell - 23
Adult Gohan - 17
#16 - 13
Goku Black - 13
Kid Boo - 13
Trunks - 10
SSJ Goku - 9
Bardock - 6
#18 - 6
#21 - 6
Hit - 5
Tenshinhan - 4
Gotenks - 2
Blue Goku - 2
Teen Gohan - 2
Nappa - 1
Blue Vegeta - 1
Majin Boo - 1
Ginyu - 1
Piccolo - 1

No appearances: Kuririn, Yamcha, Beerus, Freeza and Broly.

Leaderboard(POST-PATCH 1):
Cell - 50
SSJ Vegeta - 38
Kid Boo - 35
Bardock - 29
SSJ Goku - 15
Adult Gohan - 15
Trunks - 13
Goku Black - 13
Gotenks - 11
#16 - 10
Piccolo - 7
Yamcha - 6
#21 - 6
Tenshinhan - 4
Zamasu - 4
Hit - 3
Teen Gohan - 3
Blue Goku - 2
Blue Vegeta - 2
Broly - 2
Majin Boo - 1
Freeza - 1
#18 - 1
Vegetto - 1
Nappa - 1
Ginyu - 1

No appearances: Beerus and Kuririn.

Leaderboard(POST-PATCH 2)
Bardock - 40
#16 - 37
SSJ Vegeta - 30
Cell - 30
Kid Boo- 22
Adult Gohan - 21
Gotenks - 20
SSJ Goku - 19
Tenshinhan - 12
Base Vegeta - 11
Goku Black - 11
Piccolo - 10
Ginyu - 9
Trunks - 8
Teen Gohan - 8
#21 - 7
Broly - 6
Yamcha - 5
Vegetto - 5
Zamasu - 5
#18 - 4
Base Goku - 4
Majin Boo - 3
Hit - 3
Nappa - 3
Freeza - 2
Blue Goku - 2
Blue Vegeta - 1
Beerus - 1
#17 - 1

No appearances: Kuririn and Cooler.

TWFighter 2018
#16 - 4
SSJ Vegeta - 3
Adult Gohan - 3
SSJ Goku - 2
Ginyu - 2
Bardock - 2
Cell - 2
#18 - 1
Gotenks - 1
Yamcha - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
Base Vegeta - 1
Kid Boo- 1
Broly - 1
Ultimate Fighting Arena 2018
#16 - 4
Bardock - 3
SSJ Vegeta - 3
SSJ Goku - 2
Cell - 2
Piccolo - 2
Base Vegeta - 1
Gotenks - 1
Adult Gohan - 1
Base Goku - 1
Ginyu - 1
Goku Black - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
#21 - 1
Mr. Boo - 1
Summer Jam XII
Bardock - 4
SSJ Vegeta - 3
#16 - 3
Cell - 3
Ginyu - 2
Kid Boo - 2
Gotenks - 2
Adult Gohan - 1
SSJ Goku - 1
Goku Black - 1
Mr. Boo - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
Trunks - 1
Nappa - 1
First Attack 2018
Adult Gohan - 4
SSJ Vegeta - 3
Gotenks - 3
Freeza - 2
Bardock - 2
Yamcha - 2
Cell - 2
Kid Boo - 2
#16 - 2
SSJ Goku -1
Zamasu - 1
#21 - 1
Goku Black - 1
Base Vegeta - 1
The Mixup 2018
SSJ Goku - 5
Bardock - 4
#16 - 3
Kid Boo - 2
Piccolo - 1
Base Vegeta - 1
Adult Gohan - 1
Base Goku - 1
#18 - 1
#21 - 1
Goku Black - 1
Trunks - 1
Blue Goku - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
DreamHack Montreal 2018
Adult Gohan - 3
Bardock - 3
#16 - 3
Trunks - 2
Hit - 2
Tenshinhan - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
Goku Black - 1
Cell - 1
Gotenks - 1
#21 - 1
SSJ Goku - 1
#18 - 1
SSJ Vegeta - 1
Kid Boo - 1
Base Vegeta - 1
Socal Regionals 2018
#16 - 4
Bardock - 3
Kid Boo - 3
Adult Gohan - 2
Cell - 2
SSJ Goku - 2
Gotenks - 2
SSJ Vegeta - 1
Nappa - 1
Yamcha - 1
Trunks - 1
Piccolo - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
Broly - 1
Tokyo Game Show 2018
Bardock - 4
Cell - 3
SSJ Vegeta - 3
SSJ Goku - 3
#16 - 2
Kid Boo - 2
Ginyu - 1
Adult Gohan - 1
Piccolo - 1
Vegetto - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
Gotenks - 1
Broly - 1
CEOtaku 2018
#16 - 5
Gotenks - 4
Bardock - 3
Zamasu - 2
Cell - 2
SSJ Vegeta - 2
Pure Boo - 1
Piccolo - 1
Base Goku - 1
Base Vegeta - 1
Ginyu - 1
Blue Vegeta - 1
Fall Classic 2018
Bardock - 6
Base Vegeta - 4
Cell - 3
Goku Black - 2
#16 - 2
Gotenks - 2
Vegetto - 2
#21 - 2
SSJ Vegeta - 2
Broly - 2
Ginyu - 1
Majin Boo - 1
Kid Boo - 1
Yamcha - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
Revolution 2018
Adult Gohan - 3
Cell - 3
Trunks - 2
Teen Gohan - 2
Kid Boo - 2
Goku Black - 2
Gotenks - 2
SSJ Vegeta - 2
#16 - 1
Base Vegeta - 1
#18 - 1
Zamasu - 1
Bardock - 1
Hit - 1
Vegetto - 1
Piccolo - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
SSJ Goku - 1
Broly - 1
Nappa - 1
TSL 7
Cell - 4
Kid Boo - 4
SSJ Vegeta - 3
Bardock - 2
Goku Black - 2
Tenshinhan - 2
Beerus - 1
#16 - 1
Ginyu - 1
Zamasu - 1
#17 - 1
Adult Gohan - 1
Vegetto - 1
Gotenks - 1
Base Goku - 1
Thunderstruck 2018
SSJ Vegeta - 4
Tenshinhan - 3
Bardock - 3
Cell - 3
Piccolo - 3
#16 - 3
Kid Boo - 1
SSJ Goku - 1
Adult Gohan - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
Trunks - 1
Blue Goku - 1
#21 - 1

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
I always find myself cheering against Supernoon cause he always finds a way to play the most unimaginable team possible. But everyone else was fun to watch with maybe Gish being the most interesting.

Yeah... I think Supernoon could go far in this game, but his team puts me to sleep, ha. Gish's team is nice, Piccolo/Blue Goku actually has good synergy but you hardly ever see it because Piccolo/SSJ Goku has even better synergy and is just a more stable choice.

Tien is dope, and it's great if more people are picking him up

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
sry but Tien has the best lvl 3's in the game.

Neo Tri Beam is so fucking dope. and killing Chaotsu, well...there's that too. lol

OH and guys I'm at 470,000 BP! only 60,000 more to grind until I can stop playing ranked forever. woo-hoo

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, we know somebody's elbows are p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y going to be broken. Everybody will then say how much he sucks before they slowly pick him up again. It's going to be fun times all over again.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
(Looking at LightBang's great writeup) What a glorious time to be alive! Tien seeing as much play as Cell in the recent tourney

sry but Tien has the best lvl 3's in the game.

Neo Tri Beam is so fucking dope. and killing Chaotsu, well...there's that too. lol

OH and guys I'm at 470,000 BP! only 60,000 more to grind until I can stop playing ranked forever. woo-hoo

oh yeah you'll get there. If I can earn the trophy and hit Red in the process.... EVERYONE can as well

I didnt care bout the trophy (*much) but it was nice to unlock it while I'm trying to get to higher ranks

The 20 mil zen trophy is crazy stupid tho. I just barely unlocked the 5mil trophy this weekend

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Tien has pretty much always been better than SSJ Goku and Goku Black. His assist isn't quite as good but is way better in blockstrings mid screen. People are using him more since people have finally realized he adds so much damage to a team as well as being a great point character + assist.

Stock Crashing - SSJ Goku, Adult Gohan and Gotenks.
Gotenks and SSJ Goku seem to be more used in Japan. Adult Gohan..., seems like people prefer to focus on other characters? Or it's players aren't being successful? Weird because the character still seems pretty good.
Adult Gohan's neutral is not as straight forward as other top tiers in addition to having a larger learning curve.

Also seeing people (understandbly so due to his learning curve) ignore Gotenks is hilarious, the character is potentially #1 in the game imo.

SSJ Goku is likely due to a lot of people moving to Tien instead.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
How well does Bardock/Kid Buu/Vegeta synergize? On paper it seems like I should be able to get in a lot mixup and combo extensions with it.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Some lunch time entertainment. All the big boys are there to prepare for SEAM.
https://www.twitch.tv/animeilluminati

(Looking at LightBang's great writeup) What a glorious time to be alive! Tien seeing as much play as Cell in the recent tourney
Thanks man.

Adult Gohan's neutral is not as straight forward as other top tiers in addition to having a larger learning curve.

Also seeing people (understandbly so due to his learning curve) ignore Gotenks is hilarious, the character is potentially #1 in the game imo.

SSJ Goku is likely due to a lot of people moving to Tien instead.
You think Gohan is worth the effort? When he get's going I still see people blocking forever.

It still blows my mind how so many pros in this are ignorant to a big part of it.
Just throwing no 2L, no beam assist, lose a tournament immediately consider changing character. I wish we had more SonicFox's in terms of exploring the game.

I'm gonna go announced at EVO Japan.