• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
They would make a killing off selling costumes, very strange it's not being done.

No it isn't

Like fslink I was surprised Videl got an alt costume.

edit: Here's a short version - https://www.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/5qypys/question_is_there_any_reason_why_there_is_no/

IIRC it's because, despite the fact that the game uses 3d models, each frame of each respective attack or movement is animated separately to emulate old fighting-game sprite aesthetic, so it would be a whole lot of work to make a single costume.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can modders do it then? Look at the recent SSJ4 Goku skin, for example.

That is just a model swap. That's different. Modders didn't create that SSJ4 model. The work is already done for that model, so swapping it over a different model doesnt take any effort, and in this case works especially well because its goku swapped with another goku.

Skins would require them to basically model, animate, and light and entirely new model for the same existing character. And with the way they do things in this art style, it just wouldn't be worth it, and the time is better spent creating actual new characters.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is just a model swap. That's different. Modders didn't create that SSJ4 model. The work is already done for that model, so swapping it over a different model doesnt take any effort, and in this case works especially well because its goku swapped with another goku.

Skins would require them to basically model, animate, and light and entirely new model for the same existing character. And with the way they do things in this art style, it just wouldn't be worth it, and the time is better spent creating actual new characters.
There are plenty of examples of these skins for existing characters. Modders do this for free and seemingly quick.

Guess I'm just missing something.. I'm not saying it'll be a very simple thing to do, but I find it odd how it's not being done when it'd be a welcomed addition.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
There are plenty of examples of these skins for existing characters. Modders do this for free and seemingly quick.

Guess I'm just missing something.. I'm not saying it'll be a very simple thing to do, but I find it odd how it's not being done when it'd be a welcomed addition.

Not to disrespect those mods and the work that was put into them but the lighting, shading, outlines, and everything is just simply out of place. Can you not tell the difference? That is not a welcome addition. I much rather pay $29.99 or whatever for these things to be done properly. And I much rather have that effort go into a new character.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
That was GG. This is a new game. The engine is clearly improved. The fact that users can mod in skins all by themselves and they work pretty well with almost no work shows that ASW could do it if they wanted to.

I wish people would stop pulling out this talk from a game released four years prior as if it was evidence costumes could never happen. >_>

AKA basically what they said above me.

Also game dev isn't a simple case of A or B. That's just not how it works.. I guarantee they could make new characters and costumes at the same time.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the models in this game are anywhere near as complex as those in Guilty Gear. They're noticeably simpler, there's less details and far less attacks/animations.

I don't think the comparison works. It's probably more a case of not having the time and resources right now.
Still, I don't think it's practical, so I'm not expecting to see more costumes in this version of the game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Do the people posting the model swap vids not watch the vids for longer than 5 seconds and notice the horrible lighting issues these models have? They are completely divorced from the aesthetic of the rest of the game. Each animation of the game requires the lighting of the model to be individually adjusted to look ideal at every angle.

Edit: I almost forgot the reason i creeped into this thread actually. FighterZ Pass 2 for Steam is $12.50 or less on 2Game, depending on your region.

redmambaxiii

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
SSJ4 WILL BE HIS OWN CHARACTER, WITH HIS OWN ANIMATIONS, SHADING, LIGHTING, ETC. AS MANY OTHERS HAVE PUT.

Will we all be too busy playing Jojo's Fighterz before DBFZ2 comes out though??

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Do the people posting the model swap vids not watch the vids for longer than 5 seconds and notice the horrible lighting issues these models have? They are completely divorced from the aesthetic of the rest of the game. Each animation of the game requires the lighting of the model to be individually adjusted to look ideal at every angle.

Edit: I almost forgot the reason i creeped into this thread actually. FighterZ Pass 2 for Steam is $12.50 or less on 2Game, depending on your region.
The point of posting those videos is to show that random modders can get as close as they do with little effort, ASW could go all the way, if they wanted to.

I'm not sure why people think the vids are supposed to represent final content. It seems pretty disingenuous to make this argument, to be honest.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
These mods for the most part aren't good, besides only showing a small portion of work. Characters aren't just 3 moves, they have many more moves, animations for getting hit and blocking, etc...

The biggest argument for us believing the devs when they say making a skin is almost as much work as a new characters is money. They wouldn't be making skins out of the kindness of their soul, they would do it to make money. If they don't then we have every reason to believe them.

So I have a bunch of tournament characters list on wait, I'll post it after Combo Breaker. A lot of interesting trends but the biggest one is Kid Goku, never has a DLC character caused so much impact in so little time. Seems unanimous that the character is amazing, expect a lot of him going forward. GO1 already traded Piccolo for him, Nakkiel replaced Zamasu for him.
Combo Breaker should be a lot of fun.( I hope they announce the World Tour dates there, every one is waiting for it to start at CEO and it's about a month away).

Any idea when we will see Janemba? E3 maybe?
That's a good guess. Trailer there, details in V-Jump a week later, release a few days later at the end of the month.)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

vvvvvvvvvvv
The point of posting those videos is to show that random modders can get as close as they do with little effort, ASW could go all the way, if they wanted to.

I'm not sure why people think the vids are supposed to represent final content. It seems pretty disingenuous to make this argument, to be honest.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a question of if costumes can be made, of course they can, Elphelt has one in Guilty Gear and that was likely more effort than most of what we could see in this game.

The real question is if it's worth it. The idea that they'd make a killing off it is probably not true. Even if it's less work than in Guilty Gear, it's still not simple, and I'd imagine only a small percent will buy all the costumes.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
So I have a bunch of tournament characters list on wait, I'll post it after Combo Breaker. A lot of interesting trends but the biggest one is Kid Goku, never has a DLC character caused so much impact in so little time. Seems unanimous that the character is amazing, expect a lot of him going forward. GO1 already traded Piccolo for him, Nakkiel replaced Zamasu for him.
Combo Breaker should be a lot of fun.( I hope they announce the World Tour dates there, every one is waiting for it to start at CEO and it's about a month away).
Yeah I think we're going to see a lot of Kid Goku at tourneys unless he gets an emergency nerf of some sort.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a question of if costumes can be made, of course they can, Elphelt has one in Guilty Gear and that was likely more effort than most of what we could see in this game.

The real question is if it's worth it. The idea that they'd make a killing off it is probably not true. Even if it's less work than in Guilty Gear, it's still not simple, and I'd imagine only a small percent will buy all the costumes.
I dunno, going by the way some people in here talk, it's borderline impossible without sacrificing the entire dev team for a month per costume. >_>

I could probably agree it's not financially worth it. But it'd be cool and rad and awesome, so I'll continue to want it.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, going by the way some people in here talk, it's borderline impossible without sacrificing the entire dev team for a month per costume. >_>

I could probably agree it's not financially worth it. But it'd be cool and rad and awesome, so I'll continue to want it.
I don't think it's completely impossible, I just don't think it's likely.

If I remember right, there was a leftover icon in the data suggesting costumes was thought about at some point? But I think it's safe to say the development of this game was rushed so we'll see if that is revisited in a sequel, I just won't hold my breath on it, haha.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I wouldn't be so quick to call this game rushed. They just rather focus on adding more characters rather than add 'fluff'. I've seen this topic discussed for years now since Guilty Gear xrd and I am sure it will be rehashed again with the next GG Xrd game / Granblue / etc. It's just not feasible as they explained in great detail in their GDC presentation. These mods are simply not going through their entire workflow so they dont prove anything at all.

anyways I know you get it though Rutger

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I think the point was that there's still a lot of work between the mods and an actual commerical product.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Yeah I didn't necessarily mean they NEVER never do it, just, like you said, not a priority.

Which I think is a damn shame.

Casual Piccolo!

Cop Krillin!

Farmer Goku!

Gimme those silly Halloween or Christmas chibi costumes but in the actual game!

I'll take it all!

Only if they give Bluegeta the self explosion move! He was my favorite part of ToP. ;_;
I'd like Buu Saga Vegeta's and Trunks Cell Games attire, but I can see ArcSys making Majin Vegeta a separate character. They can do DBS Trunks with no issue imo.
I want DBZ Tien costume. Super's is okay, but not my fav outfit for him
Business suit Vegeta from the Arale episode of Super could also be fun.
The only costume you should all want is Drivers Ed Piccolo. What is wrong with you
like, I'd legit play 5 bucks for a costume, same as a new char, because I only really play as 4-5 chars. Rather than buying season pass charcs I won't ever play, I'd rather see my mains in something different.

Dang I feel like I just pissed on everyone's dreams. I didnt even notice all these costume posts. May Kami make all your dreams come true (after I get Kefla though)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dang I feel like I just pissed on everyone's dreams. I didnt even notice all these costume posts. May Kami make all your dreams come true (after I get Kefla though)
It's almost as if costumes would be an alternate avenue to make money.

giphy.gif

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Back to the actual game we have to play-- discovered I can easily do down delay tech with a pad. But with a stick it's going to take a lot more practice. Wish that was more forgiving

It's almost as if costumes would be an alternate avenue to make money.
Oh dont get me wrong I dont think there's any chance in hell DBFZ is getting a flurry of outfits out of the blue. I know I don't buy costumes for fighting games but I'm sure there's some people that do.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
[edit] Ah yes, I finally mastered this down delay tech. Just had to set this bot to spam Heavies til I got it down

man feels like the FGC is moving on from dbfz. All I am seeing tweets for is MK11 (I own that game too but dbfz is my baby)

only tweet coming thru on my feed is a meme ;(

Will the FGC get tired of MK11 in a month and return? Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I feel DBZ is too fun to just disappear. Especially if they keep making new seasons for characters. We'll kinda see how the meta plays out through this year and if there's a second world tour.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that MK11 will fall off hard with the FGC after its first year, like pretty much every other NRS fighter (not that it's all that big in the first place with that scene, going by its Evo registration numbers ranking it outside of top 5 below Samurai Shodown).

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I think I need to start a players count for the major games, people like to call games dead far too often...

Dragon Ball post- EVO has been consistently fighting for 2nd spot with Tekken, after Smash Ultimate was launched and The World Tour ended it has been relegated to 4th. Now we have MK and Unist has shown immense growth, it even has more players than FighterZ at Combo Breaker. This is a phenomena I expect to finish when the World Tour begins and/or when EVO finishes.

FighterZ will never compete with Street Fighter or Ultimate, on a good day it may with Tekken although the trend is too lose. MK depends on how it holds up. Dragon Ball passed the year 1 test. The players it lost was mostly due to hype dissipating and players using it to fill a Marvel void and realizing this game ins't Marvel.

What we now lack is the World Tour, Fighter Z is doing great for itself when it's an anime game, has no history(first game of the series), it's a versus game and currently has no World Tour.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Yeah like LightBang was saying the other day we can really use another World tour. I am thinking the pros are simply following the money trail

(Tree'd, I see LightBang posted too!)

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
And? When you're the only dev team really applying the graphical techniques you are at that level, it's unlikely you'll find too many significant improvements being made in such a short time (relatively).
That's not how game dev works. Every dev is always looking to improve their tech. Five years is eons.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
But you act as if 5 years is enough that they have completely redone their Live2D adaptation from scratch and now are unburdened by previous limits, when nothing has come out of ASW Red to support this.
I'm acting like they've worked to improve the tech. I'm acting like if random no-name modders can get as far as they can, even if it looks like shit, it's still pretty far, then ASW can pull it off much easier than people seem to believe based on a

five year old presentation about a previous game's engine.

If you wanted to argue that ASW just doesn't want to make costumes, then you'd be right. They obviously don't. But please stop pushing this narrative that it's somehow the most time consuming difficult thing on the planet.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm acting like if random no-name modders can get as far as they can, even if it looks like shit, it's still pretty far, then ASW can pull it off much easier than people seem to believe
Rigging and importing models from other games has almost nothing to do with the art style of the game. Every single game can support it if the engine is well enough understood (and given this engine being UE4, that's not a question).

I'm not saying it's an impossibility or that ASW wants to (given only one character in either game has gotten an alt, it seems to be a special thing for them), I'm saying that it's unlikely enough improvement has been made that it's now magnitudes easier to do costumes than it was in the days of Xrd. And again, nothing has come out of ASW to imply it has gotten any easier.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Rigging and importing models from other games has almost nothing to do with the art style of the game. Every single game can support it if the engine is well enough understood (and given this engine being UE4, that's not a question).

I'm not saying it's an impossibility or that ASW wants to (given only one character in either game has gotten an alt, it seems to be a special thing for them), I'm saying that it's unlikely enough improvement has been made that it's now magnitudes easier to do costumes than it was in the days of Xrd. And again, nothing has come out of ASW to imply it has gotten any easier.
Okay.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm acting like they've worked to improve the tech. I'm acting like if random no-name modders can get as far as they can, even if it looks like shit, it's still pretty far, then ASW can pull it off much easier than people seem to believe based on a

five year old presentation about a previous game's engine.

If you wanted to argue that ASW just doesn't want to make costumes, then you'd be right. They obviously don't. But please stop pushing this narrative that it's somehow the most time consuming difficult thing on the planet.
We gave you a link to a video from the developer itself and you telling us to ignore it under some imaginary pretense they radically evolved the processes. This has gone far beyond illogical.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
We gave you a link to a video from the developer itself and you telling us to ignore it under some imaginary pretense they radically evolved the processes. This has gone far beyond illogical.
I'm saying allow for some leeway from a five year old video about a different game. C'mon.

The way some of you act you're just gonna keep citing this one presentation until ASW says something else, even if the tech becomes obviously leagues better (which, honestly, it already is obviously better). It's incredible.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm saying allow for some leeway from a five year old video about a different game. C'mon.

The way some of you act you're just gonna keep citing this one presentation until ASW says something else, even if the tech becomes obviously leagues better (which, honestly, it already is obviously better). It's incredible.
Exactly, because I like to base things on actual fact. Looking at GranBlue I have not seen any announcements about a bunch of outfits. If their tech has advanced so much then shouldn't we see them make lots of new outfits? Esp if their tech has improved sooooo much since GG xrd? I like to approach these things with logic based on the facts I was told.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, because I like to base things on actual fact. Looking at GranBlue I have not seen any announcements about a bunch of outfits. If their tech has advanced so much then shouldn't we see them make lots of new outfits? Esp if their tech has improved sooooo much since GG xrd? I like to approach these things with logic based on the facts I was told.
Okay lol

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I think I need to start a players count for the major games, people like to call games dead far too often...

Dragon Ball post- EVO has been consistently fighting for 2nd spot with Tekken, after Smash Ultimate was launched and The World Tour ended it has been relegated to 4th. Now we have MK and Unist has shown immense growth, it even has more players than FighterZ at Combo Breaker. This is a phenomena I expect to finish when the World Tour begins and/or when EVO finishes.

FighterZ will never compete with Street Fighter or Ultimate, on a good day it may with Tekken although the trend is too lose. MK depends on how it holds up. Dragon Ball passed the year 1 test. The players it lost was mostly due to hype dissipating and players using it to fill a Marvel void and realizing this game ins't Marvel.

What we now lack is the World Tour, Fighter Z is doing great for itself when it's an anime game, has no history(first game of the series), it's a versus game and currently has no World Tour.

Forgot to follow up on this. How the heck we got overthrown by UNIST??!? These dudes just came out of the forests hard. Game does seem to be pretty legit though all kidding aside. I bought it a few months ago on sale

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
That looking at mods and going 'why aren't devs doing this?' isn't very realistic, as an actual commerical product would still require tons more work.
My dude I am a game dev I am aware of what it takes to do things to make games and create content. I am not speaking from a position of ignorance.

Okay. Cool!!! We're done!!!