• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feel like SSJ Goku should be an exception to the new scaling.

Stream of the new characters:

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, freiza is gonna need some buffs next patch. Nerfing meter gain crushes golden freiza.....

EDIT: So far, I'm kinda sour on the system changes.... They want the game to go faster but they are doing things that are counter intuitive to that like nerfing damage and strengthening defense. These would be find if offense was strengthened in other areas than 1-touch kills, but it's not so far.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm lost. Someone spill the tea. New patch? It sucks? I was all excited about Videl and Jiren but now people are upset.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Both Nakkiel and HGG saying Guard Cancel is too good now. Yikes at Golden Frieza.
Edit: Both guys I mentioned also said the changes might encourage even more swapping.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Right now its hard to say anything for certain about the new patch aside from the fact that its gonna change up a lot of things.

Its gonna feel bad/awkward without specific character changes. Some of the support characters like SSJ Goku and Tien got hit hard with the super and scaling changes. Block strings are definitely a lot worse now thanks to guard cancels and depending on who you talk to, that's either great or bad.

IMO there are more pros to the patch than cons. People always laser focus on the negatives and just gloss over the positives. Back dash change is good, Sparking changes are good, blue life changes are good, Dragon Rush changes are good, nerf to Hellzone Grenade/Ghost Oki is good and the best change of the patch... can't call assists while doing an invincible move. Guard cancel changes and super damage scaling is mixed bag right now.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I should do okay with my teams, though I'll need to make use of the sliding knockdown new to air DR in corner combos to fix ones I used to have for 18 and Blue Goku. Not seeing a need to change up anything for how I do things with 21. No point of even bothering with 18 --> Vegeta double Lv. 1s anymore, the damage is far too piddly. Wasn't something I necessarily needed, but it's a shame since they were fun to do (pretty sure SSJ Goku and Bardock mains are crying right about now, though).

Kind of actually considering Videl now as a result of her alt. Always hated that short haircut, and going with her starter look could remind me of the fun times at the beginning of that arc rather than the complete crap that it devolved into from the tournament onward.

Oct 27, 2017
https://steamcommunity.com/games/678950/announcements/detail/1756869672922797474

shoupinou said:
HEALTH RECOVERY UPON TAKING DAMAGE:
- Reduce the amount of recoverable health when damaged. (Excluding invincible moves)

KI GAUGE:
- Decrease the amount of Ki Gauge gained when receiving damage from Super Attacks and Meteor Attacks, and increase the amount of Ki Gauge gained when receiving damage from other attacks.
- For a short period of time after using the Ki Gauge, the overall amount of Ki Gauge gained is now reduced.

MID-AIR SMASH ATTACK:
- When the condition for a camera change is met, the camera effect will occur regardless of the height of the character's position now.

INVINCIBLE SPECIAL MOVES:
- Z Assist and Ultimate Z Change will now be unusable during Invincible Special Moves aside from when it hits.
POWERED-UP SPECIAL MOVE:
- Reduce the amount of Recoverable Health when receiving damage from Power-up Special Moves. (Excluding invincible moves)

SUPER ATTACK:
- Reduce the amount of damage dealt when a move other than Ultimate Z Change connects after a Super Attack hits.
- It is now easier to successfully connect Ultimate Z Change after Super Attacks.

ALL METEOR ATTACKS:
- Increased the minimum damage of all Meteor Attacks.

SPARKING!:
- Sparking! can now be used while blocking. (Includes blocking in mid-air)
- While Sparking! is active, reduce the amount of recoverable health of the opponent when damage is dealt to them. (Excluding invincible moves)
- Increased the start up frames of Sparking! aside from when cancelled from an attack.

VANISH MOVE:
- Camera change is easier to occur when cancelled from an attack.

Z-REFLECT:
- You will be invincible to the opponent's Sparking! activation after a successful Z-Reflect against an opponent's attack.

ALL THROW MOVES, DRAGON RUSH:
- Specific throw moves and Dragon Rush cannot connect more than once within a combo.

DRAGON RUSH:
- Decreased the amount of Ki gauge gained and damage dealt.
- After a Dragon Rush during mid-combo, camera change will not occur for subsequent hits.

MID-AIR DRAGON RUSH:
- The opponent will ground slide after a mid-air Dragon Rush during a combo.

GUARD CANCEL CHANGE:
- Invincible state will now last until coming into contact or in close vicinity with the opponent.
- Increased the recovery frames and landing recovery frames when blocked.

GROUND BACKSTEP:
- Increase the distance travelled.

SHENRON (REVIVE ALLIES):
- Increased the health of the revived ally.

SHENRON (MAKE ME IMMORTAL):
- Increased the health recovery rate.

GROUND RECOVERY:
- Reduced the collision from mid-air opponent.

DELAYED GROUND RECOVERY:
- Until completely down, you will now be able to perform the different ground recovery options.

DRAMATIC FINISH:
- Vanish Move will also trigger Dramatic Finish now.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Liking Jiren much more now that I've seen a bit more. Videl looks sick!

Wonder each team I'll use. Doesn't anyone know if the level 1 scaling affects characters who can level their supers? Like Gohan, Ginyu and Kuririn. Wondering if my Kuririn got a buff.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the level 1 nerfs seem a little arbitary. Blue Vegeta can still follow up from his wall bounce super fine, Yamcha can still do level 1->3 fine (though his 3 got buffed relatively less than most other people's, but fuck it you're not exactly playing Yamcha for damage), and Broly can still do his level 3 corner 'loops', but Goku Black/Beerus got their super chains destroyed and I'm not sure anyone was standing around going 'man they're too good, better remove this'.

Also, did they show what exactly is up with Videl's 'dodge'? Like, is it mechanically different from a reflect or is it just a flavour thing?

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Oops, mobile Era went weird. Was trying to edit; but yeah, Krillin/Gohan/Ginyu's levelled supers seem fine?

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like rooflemonger's take on the patch. Im pretty positive right now in terms of the overall patch. Obviously something like when Golden Frieza gets activated, that needs to be fixed as I don't think that was intentional.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Guard cancel is absurdly strong now for one bar, it gimps pressure strings so much. And it's far too easy to counter so many strings on reaction.

Gimping double level 1s is like why? The aim was to make matches faster no? Why damage starv some characters? Tien is made useless now, and Zamasu is hurt for me by this.

It encourages snap meta more. Which egad I would rather deal with bardock level 3s. Snap meta trains feel like a prolonged death sometimes.

The gimped meter gain on certain things n blue health changes are good. Just fix frieza n other character specific stuff and we are good there.

I get that some people might be happy that "oh now you have to play neutral", but dbfz neutral is stilted as fuck. It's not like super dash was made more negative (which is long overdue), or that air normals are disjointed enough to deal with it in the air (sans cats like piccolo).

New backdash is dope, I'm glad air dr gives skd paths to characters, yay options against ghost oki.

Not fond of this patch so far on paper. But *sigh* back to the lab to see what team combination I can come up with for this meta. Gotta learn to beat guard cancel on reaction with vanish, and figure out strings for guys that have ways to counter guard cancel/bait it.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I personally am glad this patch pushes us away from touch of death territory. Now make snaps cost meter to hurt the snap meta and we have a more interesting game.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
I personally am glad this patch pushes us away from touch of death territory. Now make snaps cost meter to hurt the snap meta and we have a more interesting game.

So much this. I didnt even know the patch was live last night when I was playing. I did notice that sparking was not as much as an x-factor anymore. I still regened health, but not at such a silly rate that I could face tank a lvl 3.

How has this games population been lately? I watched the world tour finale, and it seemed like it still had a good following.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the level 1 nerfs seem a little arbitary. Blue Vegeta can still follow up from his wall bounce super fine, Yamcha can still do level 1->3 fine (though his 3 got buffed relatively less than most other people's, but fuck it you're not exactly playing Yamcha for damage), and Broly can still do his level 3 corner 'loops', but Goku Black/Beerus got their super chains destroyed and I'm not sure anyone was standing around going 'man they're too good, better remove this'.

Also, did they show what exactly is up with Videl's 'dodge'? Like, is it mechanically different from a reflect or is it just a flavour thing?

From what I understand, you can still do two level Supers in a single combo. The damage is just severely reduced. Goku's Super Kamehameha to Warp Kamehameha now only gets like 100 more damage. Unless I understood it wrong.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
So much this. I didnt even know the patch was live last night when I was playing. I did notice that sparking was not as much as an x-factor anymore. I still regened health, but not at such a silly rate that I could face tank a lvl 3.

How has this games population been lately? I watched the world tour finale, and it seemed like it still had a good following.
Insanely healthy for a FG that has been out for this long. It's incredible and I'm not exaggerating

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Damn don't people like to overreact. If I' was a dev and saw someone calling this patch trash after spending 20 minutes in training mode testing 3 things, I wouldn't care about player input at all.

Hope they add the Season pass in a couple of hours when steam updates, I want to test the game with the new characters as well. If not I guess I'l wait for tomorrow.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
That is good to hear. I want to get better at the game, because it feels so good to do combos
Hell ya it feels great to land combos. I finally was able to *almost* consistently land my Vegito corner combos on some of the good ERA players the other night we did some ring matches. Also I think I screamed out loud in joy once or twice when I landed my Gotenks combos

and 16 he just works fabolously and seems very easy to land combos even tho I didnt practice him for many months.

tl;dr - If you want to play some ring matches hit me up at PSN: sandboxgod. I am also on Steam. I'll be getting Switch ver at somepoint too for my kids so I'll be there soon too. I also haunt the FG ERA Discord

[edit] I always encourage ev1 to hit us up on Discord because we can gibve tips. I learned a lot from Videl, Sephzilla, FSLink, etc

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell ya it feels great to land combos. I finally was able to *almost* consistently land my Vegito corner combos on some of the good ERA players the other night we did some ring matches. Also I think I screamed out loud in joy once or twice when I landed my Gotenks combos

and 16 he just works fabolously and seems very easy to land combos even tho I didnt practice him for many months.

tl;dr - If you want to play some ring matches hit me up at PSN: sandboxgod. I am also on Steam. I'll be getting Switch ver at somepoint too for my kids so I'll be there soon too. I also haunt the FG ERA Discord

[edit] I always encourage ev1 to hit us up on Discord because we can gibve tips. I learned a lot from Videl, Sephzilla, FSLink, etc
If you dont mind fighting a Scrub, i would love to go some rounds with you on steam.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
Seems like Videl has an official alternate costume via datamine

Maybe this will open up alternates for other characters as well.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
i think snapback should cost 1 bar, like marvel. i've seen people say GC should cost 2 but idk that seems like a lot. the rest of the issues can be easily fixed with character balance patch

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
i think snapback should cost 1 bar, like marvel. i've seen people say GC should cost 2 but idk that seems like a lot. the rest of the issues can be easily fixed with character balance patch
The only guaranteed way to get a snap without an assist (wall bounce from a Vanish after a smash during an air combo) already costs 1 bar. People who say Guard Cancel should cost 2 bars are crazy.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, you can still do two level Supers in a single combo. The damage is just severely reduced. Goku's Super Kamehameha to Warp Kamehameha now only gets like 100 more damage. Unless I understood it wrong.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I know you can still do them; I'm just saying for Blue Vegeta's wall bounce->another super/Yamcha etc the damage isn't actually nerfed, while for Beerus/Goku Black stuff it got destroyed.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
The only guaranteed way to get a snap without an assist (wall bounce from a Vanish after a smash during an air combo) already costs 1 bar. People who say Guard Cancel should cost 2 bars are crazy.
There's some ways to snap without a bar. Like this fairly easy Gotenks corner combo I know of where you can snap'em out at the end

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I have to change my team since it was centered around SSJ Goku and Tien.

I haven't played the game in a while though, so I think now would be a good time for me to re-learn the game.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017

Oh snap I will add you now, and maybe we can get some matches in this evening (live in cali, PST).

I need to optimize my combos and get my team nailed down. Right now I run Vegito/Broly/Base Goku. I dont have any of the advanced combos down for my 1/2 but I use base goku to clean things up

my psn name is BlueWager

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Oh snap I will add you now, and maybe we can get some matches in this evening (live in cali, PST).

I need to optimize my combos and get my team nailed down. Right now I run Vegito/Broly/Base Goku. I dont have any of the advanced combos down for my 1/2 but I use base goku to clean things up

my psn name is BlueWager
Sweet, I am Gotenks/Vegito/16. I might be playing KH3 but just ping me and I can switch to dbfz for some matches
Been trying to work on a Gotenks/Vegito/Cooler team but let's face it 16 is just much easier to work with. My combos are not optiomized at all. I know a few but still trying to work on my blocking and opening up others

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
The reason people want to snap is to force people to take a mix-up because assists are locked out for about seven seconds, right? Just... decrease the time after the snap? I think that would deter a meta based around snapbacks in this current patch.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The reason people want to snap is to force people to take a mix-up because assists are locked out for about seven seconds, right? Just... decrease the time after the snap? I think that would deter a meta based around snapbacks in this current patch.
So after watching the GFs (and some of the other matches( after not having paid attention to the game for a long while, I realized that the current meta revolved around heavy snapback use (way more than before). I figured that this was to enforce an incoming mixup where you know where the opponent will be positioned, and where they're coming from. As opposed to a sliding KD which has a bunch of variability to it and makes it harder to create a clean setup.

So I think that, even if assists weren't locked for as long, it'd still govern things in this game.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
So after watching the GFs (and some of the other matches( after not having paid attention to the game for a long while, I realized that the current meta revolved around heavy snapback use (way more than before). I figured that this was to enforce an incoming mixup where you know where the opponent will be positioned, and where they're coming from. As opposed to a sliding KD which has a bunch of variability to it and makes it harder to create a clean setup.

So I think that, even if assists weren't locked for as long, it'd still govern things in this game.

It would still goven the game, but I think it would make it a little bit more tolerable for the player being snapped. It always seemed a bit long before this patch too either way.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Those Glorious bastards did it. They gave Videl the pigtails. Amazing <3

Sucks about them gimping Tien and Goku, two of my most used characters. lol

Oh well, I don't play seriously enough to let this bother me. Not dropping my Boys.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
My Tien had no way of doing double supers with the team I run so, nothing lost there. Still a bummer for those who used it.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll give Jiren a try now.

Edit: Ok, not really my type of character. I wish there were more characters like Vegeta(SSGSS).

It's just fun to goof around in Practice Mode and I'm sure that I've spent 75% of my playtime in that mode, mostly trying to make big noob combos:

Last edited: