• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Only got a chance to bring Jiren to one ranked match last night. I only had a chance to lab his midscreen bnb. I love how Jiren can out any move that seems to knock people out of SD (unless I just got really lucky).

Finally added Frosty, LCQs, World Tour Finals and FDJ Finals. I have the final numbers of character usage from Season 1!

You guys want to take any guesses? Like who's top 5, who's last 3, etc... I'l only post later the results. Curious to see if public perception is that different from data.
Top 5
Gotenks
Bardock
Yamcha
Vegetta

Last 3
Vegito
Broly

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a final number on the Season 2 pass? I purchased it and in the description, it said "At least 6 characters". Does this mean that they plan on adding more for us? I can see them giving us Broly and Gogeta as 2 extra characters for buying the pass, while giving us Jiren, Videl and 4 others (Hopefully Toppo, Kefla, Janemba & Dabra). As cool as UI Goku is, I can wait for the sequel. Also, bring on some new stages already. The Galatic Arena is kinda lame because there is no stage transitions. Would have much rather had Roshi's or even Kami's Tower.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a final number on the Season 2 pass? I purchased it and in the description, it said "At least 6 characters". Does this mean that they plan on adding more for us? I can see them giving us Broly and Gogeta as 2 extra characters for buying the pass, while giving us Jiren, Videl and 4 others (Hopefully Toppo, Kefla, Janemba & Dabra). As cool as UI Goku is, I can wait for the sequel. Also, bring on some new stages already. The Galatic Arena is kinda lame because there is no stage transitions. Would have much rather had Roshi's or even Kami's Tower.

Maaaaybe UI Goku as an extra (because of the reception of the goku/vegeta pair last time) but I don't see them adding an entire new pair; like, if it was going to be 8 characters for £5 less than last time they'd have milked that for all that's worth. I assume the 'at least 6' is just base covering.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
UI as a bonus as the final character wouldn't surprise me. But I'm really just making excuses so I can go on thinking roshi will be added

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
UI as a bonus as the final character wouldn't surprise me. But I'm really just making excuses so I can go on thinking roshi will be added
It would surprise me because I am not accustomed to getting free dlc. I frankly cant recall ever getting a nice surprise like this beyond Piranha Plant in SBU. The closest I get to this is all the free content for Spiderman.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It would surprise me because I am not accustomed to getting free dlc. I frankly cant recall ever getting a nice surprise like this beyond Piranha Plant in SBU. The closest I get to this is all the free content for Spiderman.
yeah true, I'm just being hopefull they don't make me pay for another goku lol (even though UI will one of the most unique characters in the game or should be at least)

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I wouldn't want to take it away from him!

Still confused how 17 made a top 8 before him.
17 has a lot more swag in my mind for one (non-gameplay Bullshirt reason)
Gameplay related- I suppose Krillin is higher than 17 on tier list so logic is in your favor I suppose.
17, as far as many pros are concerned, doesn't exist so maybe he has that unknown factor to him kinda?

many of y'all are better players than I am to be frank so y'all know whats up

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Season 1 Character Usage(Only Top 8's)
1st - SSJ Vegeta - 137 selections
2nd - Bardock - 127 selections
3rd - Cell - 121 selections
4th - Kid Boo - 107 selections
5th - #16 - 106 selections
6th - Adult Gohan - 97
7th - SSJ Goku - 85
8th - Gotenks - 67
9th - Goku Black - 46
10th - Trunks - 40
10th - Yamcha - 40
12th - Tenshinhan - 36
13th - Piccolo - 29
13th - #18 - 29
13th - Hit - 29
16th - #21 - 26
17th - Base Vegeta - 22
17th - Ginyu - 22
19th - Teen Gohan - 21
20th - Zamasu - 17
21st - Vegetto - 14
22nd - Broly - 11
23rd - Freeza - 10
23rd - Cooler - 10
25th - Mr.Boo - 9
26th - Base Goku - 8
27th - SSB Goku - 7
28th - SSB Vegeta - 6
28th - Nappa - 6
30th - Beerus - 3
30th - #17 - 3
32nd - Kuririn - 0

• SSJ Vegeta, Bardock, Kid Boo and Adult Gohan are, in order, the three characters with the best average placement in each patch.
  • Kuririn, Beerus, Freeza, Broly, and Yamcha are the only characters with 0 appearances in certain patches. Beerus failed 2, Kuririn all of them...
  • It's very likely Bardock would be number 1 if he wasn't DLC.
Here you have it! Let me know if you have any questions.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Add Bacterian for the 10-0 matchup.

Kind of surprised the blues are lower than base Goku; from the way people talk about him I thought he was barely above 17. Also Yamcha only getting joint 10th despite the most dominant player the second half of the year having him as a key team member.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
What were the 'game bugs' the zeni log-in reward mentioned? Can't find any patch notes, at least on steam.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
A few more curiosities. Both Kid Boo and #16 could have been higher, specially #16. They suffered from "patched character now trash syndrome", bunch of people said they were trash post-patch and for some reason people blindly followed.
#16 went from 8th in his post nerf patch to 1st the following one, when the only thing that changed was losing the grab in his auto-combo. He could have easily gotten 2nd place in Season 1.

Add Bacterian for the 10-0 matchup.

Kind of surprised the blues are lower than base Goku; from the way people talk about him I thought he was barely above 17. Also Yamcha only getting joint 10th despite the most dominant player the second half of the year having him as a key team member.
Base Goku has a great assist and good damage. Yamcha until EVO had 6 top 8 appearances and even after Kazunoko started dominating it still took a while for people to use the character. Half his numbers are from the last patch.

What were the 'game bugs' the zeni log-in reward mentioned? Can't find any patch notes, at least on steam.
Maybe from the servers problems we the had the other day?

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
LightBang I appreciate your data posts! I'm curious to see how things will shift around (or won't) now that they actually made system-level changes to the game.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 Character Usage(Only Top 8's)
1st - SSJ Vegeta - 137 selections
2nd - Bardock - 127 selections
3rd - Cell - 121 selections
4th - Kid Boo - 107 selections
5th - #16 - 106 selections
6th - Adult Gohan - 97
7th - SSJ Goku - 85
8th - Gotenks - 67
9th - Goku Black - 46
10th - Trunks - 40
10th - Yamcha - 40
12th - Tenshinhan - 36
13th - Piccolo - 29
13th - #18 - 29
13th - Hit - 29
16th - #21 - 26
17th - Base Vegeta - 22
17th - Ginyu - 22
19th - Teen Gohan - 21
20th - Zamasu - 17
21st - Vegetto - 14
22nd - Broly - 11
23rd - Freeza - 10
23rd - Cooler - 10
25th - Mr.Boo - 9
26th - Base Goku - 8
27th - SSB Goku - 7
28th - SSB Vegeta - 6
28th - Nappa - 6
30th - Beerus - 3
30th - #17 - 3
32nd - Kuririn - 0

• SSJ Vegeta, Bardock, Kid Boo and Adult Gohan are, in order, the three characters with the best average placement in each patch.
  • Kuririn, Beerus, Freeza, Broly, and Yamcha are the only characters with 0 appearances in certain patches. Beerus failed 2, Kuririn all of them...
  • It's very likely Bardock would be number 1 if he wasn't DLC.
Here you have it! Let me know if you have any questions.

ONE DAY I SWEARRRRRRRRRR

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe from the servers problems we the had the other day?

Oh, didn't notice that whenever it was. Was wondering if they were lightning fast in fixing that weird Jiren freeze glitch.

How's the PC community for this game? Hungry to jump into a new fighting game and it's currently on sale. . .

I usually find matches around EU primetime easily, though I mostly look on weekends; when I go to east coast servers to play with an American friend, they look decently populated.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to maybe get back into the game. I haven't played since Vegito and Zamasu came out. I stopped mostly because other games came out but also because I was getting kinda tired of the overall rushdown heavy flow of the game. I guess I was wondering if that has changed at all. I'm thinking not based on season 2 gameplay I've seen. This seems to be how a lot of team based fighters play, but maybe there's a character I neglected to put any time into or have yet to try at all that plays a bit differently than the others.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to maybe get back into the game. I haven't played since Vegito and Zamasu came out. I stopped mostly because other games came out but also because I was getting kinda tired of the overall rushdown heavy flow of the game. I guess I was wondering if that has changed at all. I'm thinking not based on season 2 gameplay I've seen. This seems to be how a lot of team based fighters play, but maybe there's a character I neglected to put any time into or have yet to try at all that plays a bit differently than the others.

Jiren's very counter-based, but 'rush that shit down' is still the name of the game I'm afraid. Also kind of assumed that's more DBFZ's fault than a team fighting thing in general; not a fan of Marvel but every match I've ever seen has involved screen-filling projectiles, and I don't remember the tag-team KoF's being more rushdown than usual.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I don't want to drop Kuririn but's his assist makes not want to play him even tho he's pretty fun. Guess I'll rotate him on point. I have Cooler and SSJ Vegeta so maybe I'll go for a DP team, perhaps Teen Gohan...

Would love to see character usage per month(?) to see which characters increased/decreased in usage as the season progressed. But I guess that's too much work. :D
I usually do updates every few weeks depending on how many tournaments there are. Should start Season 2 with the side-event at EVO Japan. Like Uraizen said, check my posts for the various updates I did during Season 1, there's a lot of them.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Superdash and Vanish being unchanged means this game is still favoring offense heavily in the regards to rush down. At least now maybe it's a little less oppressive since you can Spark more reliably. Blockstun still sucks beyond that (like calling in an Assist to defend) -- the expectation is for us to blow a bar on Guard Cancels.

Interested to see how this effects higher tier of play but from watching replays of the Top 10 dbfz players people are still playing pretty much the same but with some less toys (double super nerf). Need more time to see how meta shakes out still too early for me to draw big conclusions. Havent had a chance to duel ERA guys enough on it yet

edit- do you have Vegito? You might want to give him a shot he was buffed since you last play
edit2 - I assume everyone knows you can watch replays of Top 10 players anytime. I also follow my favorite ones as well as anyone I duel from ERA to get ideas and tech

Last edited:

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I usually do updates every few weeks depending on how many tournaments there are. Should start Season 2 with the side-event at EVO Japan. Like Uraizen said, check my posts for the various updates I did during Season 1, there's a lot of them.

Yeah, there's a lot to go through. LOL. Again, thank you for them.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my copy and a new stick tonight. Any suggestions for getting started? I used to play a lot of SF like 5 years ago but since then I've only really been playing Smash. This is kind of my return to traditional fighting games and I'm suuuuuper rusty. I've been going through the game's tutorial, but is there other stuff I should be looking at as well?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just got back in after a few months away from the game and boy does this feel different. Beerus is so much easier to win with now and people are back to falling for 16's self destruct super again. Hit doesn't seem to have changed much and my team still has zero synergy, but it's proving to be fun to jump back into again. Currently stuck using a dualshock that has an L1 that only works about half the time it's pressed, but I'm finding ways to work around that....

First match back was an utter shitshow of dropped combos, screwing up basics, and me forgetting how to counter even the simplest strategies, but it all worked out in the end... the universe just kind of gave me a couple free matches after that one against people who had no idea what to do against Hit and Beerus.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I finally tried some of the DLC characters that I never even touched despite buying the season pass. I don't like 17 at all. I hate rekka. Base Goku feels weak and kinda plain, Cooler seems alright but I'm not sure what to do with him, I haven't tried Base Vegeta much but SSJ Vegeta seems better. It sucks grabbing a DLC character and not enjoying them at all. The only character that I really enjoyed in this game the moment I picked them up was Android 21. With everyone else, it kinda feels like I'm just doing the same thing. My previous team was Teen Gohan, 21, and SSB Goku. They had ok synergy and Teen Gohan and SSB's extended supers are hype but I kinda wanna try something else. I also kinda suck at figuring characters out without using a guide. I just don't know what to do with them and suck at finding tech.

I'm rambling but I basically have no idea who to use or how to find synergy. Is Videl a rekka character? If she is I'm gonna be so sad.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
SSB Goku's assist would be so much better if it were one of his IT kicks. His diving kick sucks and only use it for 1 Broly set up.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rambling but I basically have no idea who to use or how to find synergy. Is Videl a rekka character? If she is I'm gonna be so sad.

I have some bad news.

Jiren isn't, though by the sound of the characters you enjoy I don't know if you'd like him; he's a big, defensive-style character. His assist is alright, though, and I'd say your old team was kind of lacking in good assists?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
dVJ3CNwl.png

knzCBm6l.png

I don't think I'm gonna try for Pride Trooper anytime soon. Not as many people online and it's 200k more.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's also a pretty big part of her kit, unfortunately; if you don't like 17's or Yamcha's stuff I'd suggest not buying her (I feel like I'm forgetting someone else with a rekka but eh).

I'm probably getting the season pass anyway since I want the completed package and have $10 PSN credit so I'll check her out. From the sound of it, I won't like her though.

Also, there's no way to reset your rank right? I'm so not a Demon after all this time away from the game. It'd be cool if they had a ranking system like Tekken or SCVI but I guess that'd be hard to do. Isn't there supposed to be an updated intro playing too?

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably getting the season pass anyway since I want the completed package and have $10 PSN credit so I'll check her out. From the sound of it, I won't like her though.

Also, there's no way to reset your rank right? I'm so not a Demon after all this time away from the game. It'd be cool if they had a ranking system like Tekken or SCVI but I guess that'd be hard to do. Isn't there supposed to be an updated intro playing too?

There's no character specific ranking, unfortunately (not sure how you'd do it easily in a team game but still) or a way to reset, no, at least on Steam without having an extra Steam account. You can always go with casual matches until you get back in the groove.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Why don't you like rekka characters? You don't even need to do 236 over and over like most Rekka characters in other fighting games, you just tap the followups L/M/H immediately and the next part comes out.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you like rekka characters? You don't even need to do 236 over and over like most Rekka characters in other fighting games, you just tap the followups L/M/H immediately and the next part comes out.

I had a tough time with Karin in SF. It just felt uncomfortable. There was someone else but I forgot who. I guess it's not the same here but I don't like how 17 works with his forwards and downs. If I just have to press either light, medium, or heavy with Videl then that's fine.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
FSLink and everyone else that frequents this thread + FGERA Discord- I am now fully wired (no more powerlines). Spent $100 to hire a guy to run the cables for me through my house. Hopefully we'll have more stable matches.

Still need to mess around with other teams to get more exposure. I'm still super lazy when it comes to labbing. Anytime I try to lab a character other than Vegito-- I still find myself labbing my same old Vegito combos. Honestly I wish there was an online 1vs1 (or 2vs2) mode because I just only like Vegito and Gotenks really. Nothing wrong with the other characters but I got true love for those 2. Starting to dig 16 a lot more though

I had a tough time with Karin in SF. It just felt uncomfortable. There was someone else but I forgot who. I guess it's not the same here but I don't like how 17 works with his forwards and downs. If I just have to press either light, medium, or heavy with Videl then that's fine.

I used to play with 17. I think he's got this unknown factor to him still. I saw some pros not even claim hes -not- in the game. I think people can get some easy wins with his strings. I know I went up a rank when I used to play him (but then I stopped and got booted out)

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Are the corner loops essential for Base Vegeta and Goku's game plan? They're ridiculously strict, especially Vegeta's and I just don't see myself pulling this off online.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Are the corner loops essential for Base Vegeta and Goku's game plan? They're ridiculously strict, especially Vegeta's and I just don't see myself pulling this off online.
I can't say but if it makes you feel better, I've even seen pro players drop the B.Vegeta combo (I'm pretty sure I saw it at the DBZ World Tour)

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017

I would say yes for Base Vegeta, not sure about Base Goku since I don't see anybody playing it. Once you get used to the loops you'll have the muscle memory to pull them off even online. I'm able to do it in 2f to 4f of delay pretty consistently now as long as I get the first rep.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean it sucks for Broly, but provides SK for other toons
Though its utility in providing SK for characters who don't have it normally is somewhat less useful now that mid-air DR combos provide it, Blue Goku's assist is still viable as a corner combo extender for characters who can connect with a 2M before someone's sent sliding from the dive kick (SSJ Vegeta example: j.H, 5LL, 2M, SSB Goku assist just before 5M, 2M again before the SK, 5M, jc to start air combo or air-to-ground w/second assist combo of choice).

Last edited: