• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Are the corner loops essential for Base Vegeta and Goku's game plan? They're ridiculously strict, especially Vegeta's and I just don't see myself pulling this off online.

Not necessarily, and they can be done with practice even online.... but honestly the SSJ versions of the characters are plain better so if you're not optimizing Base Goku/Vegeta why bother?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Has Vegito always been able to do his level 3 in the air? This whole time I thought the best way to set it up was with his command grab. So then his command grab is basically only to throw your opponent back in the corner and to combo into Excalibur?

Also, I've been practicing a lot and learning my characters again but I have no desire to actually play against others. I did that when Vegito came out too. I practiced the hell out of him but then never used him in a match. It's weird.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Has Vegito always been able to do his level 3 in the air? This whole time I thought the best way to set it up was with his command grab. So then his command grab is basically only to throw your opponent back in the corner and to combo into Excalibur?

Also, I've been practicing a lot and learning my characters again but I have no desire to actually play against others. I did that when Vegito came out too. I practiced the hell out of him but then never used him in a match. It's weird.

You don't get any oki if you do his Level 3 in the air.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's true, it'll take too long to hit the ground. Fuck that then.
Even if you did it relatively close to the ground, they can air tech.

Vegito builds a crap ton of meter that in most cases you can make up for the meter loss from air command grab -> vanish into level 3. Or most people use a team with say, Gotenks assist to be able to combo into air Dragon Rush so he can do grounded Lv3 that way.

Also similar to SSJ Vegeta, you mainly only want to do a straight up combo into Level 3 in the air if you'll know it'll kill and you don't want to/don't have other resources to get them to the ground.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
More Vegito trouble. I'm practicing corner combos, specifically stuff like 2M, 5M, jH, 236M, jLLLS, SD, jLLLS, 236M, air Level 1. I can't explain why but sometimes that last jS misses and the combo drops. Like, they recover before it hits. It happens even when my starter is the same. Sometimes I can do it consistently if I mash the fuck out of jLLLS, SD, jLLLS but that's annoying and even then doesn't always work. I think it's because sometimes they end up to high up so the last jS misses but I don't know how to control that.

Edit: I think I figured it out. I have to delay the jLLLS after the first 236M so that the S catches them when they're closer to the ground.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
More Vegito trouble. I'm practicing corner combos, specifically stuff like 2M, 5M, jH, 236M, jLLLS, SD, jLLLS, 236M, air Level 1. I can't explain why but sometimes that last jS misses and the combo drops. Like, they recover before it hits. It happens even when my starter is the same. Sometimes I can do it consistently if I mash the fuck out of jLLLS, SD, jLLLS but that's annoying and even then doesn't always work. I think it's because sometimes they end up to high up so the last jS misses but I don't know how to control that.

Edit: I think I figured it out. I have to delay the jLLLS after the first 236M so that the S catches them when they're closer to the ground.

checkout FSLink's Vegito. In this footage he literally made me his b*tch so just watch the optimal combo at this time mark

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
checkout FSLink's Vegito. In this footage he literally made me his b*tch so just watch the optimal combo at this time mark

Ah so you can add a j2H after the 236M. Good to know. I'm liking Vegito. I can't decide who else to use. I'm messing around with 18 and might look into Videl to finally see if I wanna buy her.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Ah so you can add a j2H after the 236M. Good to know. I'm liking Vegito. I can't decide who else to use. I'm messing around with 18 and might look into Videl to finally see if I wanna buy her.

Just got home from work. Found the video FSLink made with the Vegito combo. At least in this video you can see his button inputs although it sounds like you're straight.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any DLC characters.

If I just wanted to buy two or three, no clones, which should i get?

Videl looks fun.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
What's a solid team for just starting out?

Besides the in-game tutorials, any good YouTube videos to watch to learn and get better, too?

edit: Also, I had bought the base game for the Switch and DLC seems pretty damn expensive. It's $60 if I want both FighterZ Passes!

Last edited:

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Are there ways to earn any of the DLC characters in-game like SFV or do I need to buy everything off the eShop?
In-game currency only goes toward colors and assorted junk of varying usefulness (lobby avatars, titles, stickers, announcer voices), made worse by the fact that it's all distributed via loot box and no other way. SFV remains the only fighter to allow for buying DLC characters without spending real money.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
In-game currency only goes toward colors and assorted junk of varying usefulness (lobby avatars, titles, stickers, announcer voices), made worse by the fact that it's all distributed via loot box and no other way. SFV remains the only fighter to allow for buying DLC characters without spending real money.

Damn, that blows. $60 is a lot to unlock all the characters, fuck man.. lol

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I've only seen it for PS4 and PC, sorry. Should have read the earlier posts more carefully.
No, i was just wondering.

It's really hard to catch a DLC sale on Switch because they never advertise them and they aren't listed on the Sales page. You have to already know they are on sale and find the DLC under the game's listing. Unless the game itself is on sale any DLC discounts are buried.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017

Is it just me? The link doesn't seem to point to any tutorial video or something. Only sends me to top page of 26. I want to check the video out too.

I'm on mobile and 50 ppp by the way. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Edit: Found it. It's on page 51 on 50 ppp. I think the linking to posts doesn't work correctly if the one who copies the link and the reader have different ppp.

Will check these videos out. Thank you.

Edit 2: Maybe that post should be stickied or added to the OP. Really helpful stuff for beginners. Thanks.

Last edited:

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just repost it to make it easier for people to find:
I don't know if playing me would be the most useful. Generally, I'd recommend newcomers to use these two videos:

Then focus on getting the basic bnb and general gameplan down. Work on Instant Air Dashes and 2Hing superdashes.

Then start getting into the intermediate stuff like more complex combos and the like:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rooflemonger

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX1vStxd3co41pIsJuRt98kl_EQDaAxjHnHP1y76kzU8018Wv_MAhYUqV7ATyTWUkGddxMJQSt-05vbDL_/pubhtml

As well as joining both the Discord for Resetera and Tatsunical's DBFZ Discord (https://discord.gg/tatsunical) that pulls from Twitter all the character hashtags.

For example, you could search #DBFZ_AGH for all Adult Gohan related videos on Twitter, or you can go to the Discord that automatically pulls it. There's also the benefit that Tatsunical himself + his mods also delete anything that isn't useful. List of character hashtags here: https://twitter.com/tatsunical/status/1044647449644564480

There's character specific Discords as well:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fhlq7qASMlUHDd978Eh0b2x_DC5H55spIF-BvPpdkT4/edit

There's also more advanced stuff but if you're interested in that.... just hit me up and I can find some stuff.

tldr: there's a lot of resources out here for the game, use them if you want to learn!

Pretty much everything I listed in this post is how I got good at the game.

One thing I didn't list because it's a bit more advanced is specific uses of Deflect:
https://twitter.com/i/moments/984826268477771778

I really think anybody looking to level up their game definitely should practice the deflect uses above.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
The era of the snapback meta in full effect. Why would you do this to your game, BamSys?! I do like seeing it abused to send a message to them at least.
I watched FSLink's replays with other players. I'm assuming they are usually around FSLink's rank/color (he's Pink while I got demoted to YellowSupremeKai a few weeks ago~). It looks like FSLink is able to take one of their characters once they get caught and they'll lose a lot of life on all characters. But after a character dies, they seem to at least fight their way back (they still get beatdown but it at least looks less dirty than the footage I captured here). But because I'm, you know, Yellow/supremeKai I'll just lose all my characters in one shot.

I saw HGG try this on ChrisG. Chris lost one character but then he was able to fight back (but still lost cause he was too crippled).

tl;dr - FSLink is wayyy better than I am so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this video. I recorded it to study FSLink's Vegito combo myself

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
lol, it was a total accident but.. my friend managed to time that banish to avoid the sparking pushback and kill me

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
I watched FSLink's replays with other players. I'm assuming they are usually around FSLink's rank/color (he's Pink while I got demoted to YellowSupremeKai a few weeks ago~). It looks like FSLink is able to take one of their characters once they get caught and they'll lose a lot of life on all characters. But after a character dies, they seem to at least fight their way back (they still get beatdown but it at least looks less dirty than the footage I captured here). But because I'm, you know, Yellow/supremeKai I'll just lose all my characters in one shot.

I saw HGG try this on ChrisG. Chris lost one character but then he was able to fight back (but still lost cause he was too crippled).

tl;dr - FSLink is wayyy better than I am so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this video. I recorded it to study FSLink's Vegito combo myself

I mean, if you manage to block correctly then kudos. I'm just saying that he's playing the current game's meta, that's all. No shots against him or you, just an observation. If anything I'm telling Bamco "do you see what you have done?!" I don't see everybody doing it, but the ones who do it are usually quite successful.

Oct 27, 2017

I always have 2 questions when I see stuff like this: Why does someone waste so much time to do this utterly boring busywork and why does no one of the devs or Namco Bandai ever checks the leaderboards for stuff like this regulary?

In any game with a leaderboard you could spend weeks to comb through the Top 500 and ban people left and right but no one seems to ever maintain the leaderboard.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you manage to block correctly then kudos. I'm just saying that he's playing the current game's meta, that's all. No shots against him or you, just an observation. If anything I'm telling Bamco "do you see what you have done?!" I don't see everybody doing it, but the ones who do it are usually quite successful.

Yep. I basically traded Ghost Oki for Snapback mixups and/or fuzzies. I think it's dumb and they really should just make snap cost a bar at this point. But I'm gonna use it as much as I can since it's the current meta.

You guys think they'll have enough time to recast Canon Broly before the DLC drops?

They definitely will unless they already recorded the lines somehow (I doubt it).

I think outside of being annoyed that ASW doesn't address this shit, I'm annoyed that this guy did nothing with the boosting. Didn't even put his YT or Twitter handle in his DBFZ tag and gather that (obviously negative) attention? What a fucking waste lmfao

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I basically traded Ghost Oki for Snapback mixups and/or fuzzies. I think it's dumb and they really should just make snap cost a bar at this point. But I'm gonna use it as much as I can since it's the current meta.

Please do, I want to see it happen more on streams by others too.

I agree that it should cost a bar to snap. With the meter build cool-down you would think twice about whether or not it's worth it. They would build more meter than you while blocking, lol. I don't really know what they expected to happen.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Any recommended stick layouts?

I currently am trying this one:

BJTAgNW.jpg

I've always been a Street Fighter guy so it's a little weird but I've seen this layout recommended in other places.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
8hpCHeXl.jpg

This is the one that felt the least awkward to me as someone who mostly plays SF.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Please do, I want to see it happen more on streams by others too.

I agree that it should cost a bar to snap. With the meter build cool-down you would think twice about whether or not it's worth it. They would build more meter than you while blocking, lol. I don't really know what they expected to happen.

I tuned into the TeamSp00ky DBFZ stream for a min and for the one match I saw-- it was full of snapbacks (Dekilsage got into a groove against his opponent and took away some life). It was kinda painful to watch I hope they do something before EVO'19 but I'm doubting it. So far I been lucky and only FSLink has been snapping me out for a match or two but if I saw this all the time--- Well pluck to be honest I guess I'd be forced to adapt lol

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
I tuned into the TeamSp00ky DBFZ stream for a min and for the one match I saw-- it was full of snapbacks (Dekilsage got into a groove against his opponent and took away some life). It was kinda painful to watch I hope they do something before EVO'19 but I'm doubting it. So far I been lucky and only FSLink has been snapping me out for a match or two but if I saw this all the time--- Well pluck to be honest I guess I'd be forced to adapt lol

I think we'll get a patch before Evo, but not until the next character is released at the earliest.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommended stick layouts?

I currently am trying this one:

BJTAgNW.jpg

I've always been a Street Fighter guy so it's a little weird but I've seen this layout recommended in other places.

This is the one I use. It's basically a GG + SF + Mahvel layout all put together. L+S is the only thing a bit awkward but rarely used anyway.

Yeah, I still might go back to this, the only thing I didn't like about it was super dash being weird with my thumb and ring finger.

Yeah I tried that for a bit at launch and could never enjoy it because teching DR with L+M is the typical way of doing so, and it feels awkward being not LP+LK positions for me. Superdash is also used constantly in DBFZ and I disliked it being thumb + ring finger like you.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest way to check for gaps in pressure after snapbacks? I've been changing the reversal settings after they block the first hit after coming back in, but trying to figure out if I'm missing something obvious to make it less tedious.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
how do you learn the game? youtube?

Yeah, Rooflemonger I think is the go-to for beginners, probably some other people I'm forgetting.
Kind of boggles the mind the Arc Systems game with the most chance of bringing in new players launched with their least useful tutorial, but with that and practice it's still a fine choice (especially as you can find matches without joining some kinda discord, unlike Guilty Gear or Uniel)

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
Easiest way to check for gaps in pressure after snapbacks? I've been changing the reversal settings after they block the first hit after coming back in, but trying to figure out if I'm missing something obvious to make it less tedious.

Maybe have the CPU set to Vanish as their action after blocking?

Getting back into the swing of things. My Krillin coming along nicely. Finally sat and learned some set ups after knockdown instead of just winging it like I always do.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody watch Bum's stream last night? Shit was crazy. Sonic Fox, DKS, Nakkiel many heavy hitters were there.

Hell, evenm RayRay showed up and he's looking pretty decent, rocking that Tien (and DKS, Tien a'int dead fellas!)

Holy shit though, Sonic's Videl is insannnnne.