• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I'm expecting Janemba to be released after CEO. It's the first World Tour event, they need something hype like that. They'll probably save Gogeta and Broly for EVO announcements.

V-Jump spoilers should be out soon, there should be something there, I hope. If not scratch Janemba coming out after CEO.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
ceo looking pretty hype, cynic in me expects like majority japan majority gt goku in top 8 but there's a lot of ppl here

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
There's pretty much everyone at CEO, it should amazing. People want to show up for the first World Tour event.

Speaking of, the format is so much better than last year. A point system is so much more fair and interesting, the increase to 16 people at the finals gives the chance for so many good players to show their face.
Also props to Bandai for putting a Saga event in Spain, that community is fervent for the game, doing so much cool events for it. It shows they are paying attention.

For CEO, GO1 and Fenritti are the major favorites in my opinion. Kaz apparently is still super strong but locals aren't enough to be conclusive. BNBBN is showing up and it's up there. Hope players from outside Japan do some work!

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
CEO was pretty good, although the two finalists were the two current best players. Fenritti losing early in the bracket was surprising, Dekillsage made an awesome run, Shanks continues to prove himself as a top 8 threat. Kaz and Hook were disappointing. ApologyMan and BNBBN missed out on points. We had a bunch of interesting stories and cool moments.

Lord Knight stick malfunction when he was about to take a game from GO1 was disheartening.

Next event should be at EVO which is a big one, since it's a Saga event with so many points on offer. There's 10 Tenkaichi events left and 3 Sagas, besides EVO we don't know much...
It''s shocking to me how Bandai took this long to announce the tour and when they do, we know nothing about it. I bet CEO would have so many more participants had it been announced with proper notice. Hopefully they announce the rest of the dates soon.

Edit: Apparently there are 2 Tenkaichi events before EVO and we have no idea which events it will be... Does Bandai think players can just dish out the money and time with a couple weeks notice... Seriously this really annoys me.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Dekillsage fucked shit up, really fun player to watch

______

new g01 tier list, nice to see that the pool of viable characters is incredibly large to him in this patch

I only really had broly and cooler as the big bodies in A tier, w/ the rationale that their unique shit outweighed the fuzz, but it's nice to see cell strongly included in the tier as well, he was A tier for me in the sense that im scared of the char lol but i was kinda deferring to the opinions i was seeing that he had dipped to b tier

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, this was on page 6, Sad to see it drop off so much, but hopefully a bit more hype as the new World Tour goes on, and hopefully we see Janemba soon.

Anywho, Bum's stream has been fun to watch the TSLs, Axeice keeps wrecking. Shoutouts to Alukard as well.

Oh, and I'm always down for some games. Hit me up on PS4 - Lee Chaolan

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I bet quite a few of these B characters are unexplored/team strategy specific or allow for a surprise due to lack of knowledge. Top tier players should really have either 2 teams or sub characters, it would really change the meta. If your Bardock/X/SSJ Goku isn't working against someone, go for a Nappa and punish your opponent lack of knowledge of that character.

VS Fighting next weekend is the next Tenkaichi Event, announced one week before...

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Seems that Gotenks has largely vanished from competitive play as of late. No more ratboy is nice and all, but GT Kid Goku taking his place is just one problem getting traded for another, far more ridiculous one.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I bet quite a few of these B characters are unexplored/team strategy specific or allow for a surprise due to lack of knowledge. Top tier players should really have either 2 teams or sub characters, it would really change the meta. If your Bardock/X/SSJ Goku isn't working against someone, go for a Nappa and punish your opponent lack of knowledge of that character.

I wish more would do it, that's Axeice's whole team with Nappa and Base Goku (who does a shit load of damage in good hands) wish he'd play in more big tournaments

Seems that Gotenks has largely vanished from competitive play as of late. No more ratboy is nice and all, but GT Kid Goku taking his place is just one problem getting traded for another, far more ridiculous one.

Thank goodness, couldn't stand Gotenks. At least GT Goku is a less annoying character, and SSJ4 Super is great.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's annoying hearing two squeaking voices all the time, at least Vegito doesn't make me want to bash my head on wall. ;p

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Dekillsage fucked shit up, really fun player to watch

______

new g01 tier list, nice to see that the pool of viable characters is incredibly large to him in this patch

I only really had broly and cooler as the big bodies in A tier, w/ the rationale that their unique shit outweighed the fuzz, but it's nice to see cell strongly included in the tier as well, he was A tier for me in the sense that im scared of the char lol but i was kinda deferring to the opinions i was seeing that he had dipped to b tier

Goku Black in B? Lmfao. He's easily an A rank due to his utility. I'd put GT Goku in his own S+ class. Dude has mixups, high damage, utility and decent reach with ok normals. He's scary as fuck as he can combo into spirit bomb and into SS4.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a bunch of ppl who might put him low A, but B is nice when the character has been memed to C for like a good year

Tho granted system changes made mix weaker and that helps him too

I was playing an online tourney last weekend and i got divekicked like 10 times

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Goku Black in B? Lmfao. He's easily an A rank due to his utility. I'd put GT Goku in his own S+ class. Dude has mixups, high damage, utility and decent reach with ok normals. He's scary as fuck as he can combo into spirit bomb and into SS4.

Kid Buu's and Bardock's neutral are still better. GT Goku is likely the best mid character in the game though.

Also Goku Black is mostly a worse SSJ Goku overall. He really requires assists to get the most out of him (GT Goku assist is godlike for him), but his assist almost requires him to be anchor slot, which SSJ Goku is way better at.

Also you have to take in mind who made that tier list. GO1 ain't getting hit by Goku Black mixups lmfao

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Knowkami did a tier list last night too, Broly in S tier. :o

Also interesting, he had Base Goku at B tier. recent patch gave him some upgrades, his damage output is insane with a good team around him.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of things that broly can do singularly (zoning, challenging when negative, insane quick light grab with armor, frame 4 armor, armor on his fukkin air grab, etc.), but i think if you're judging him as S tier you are also kind of saying that you dont believe that his weaknesses keep him out of the tier and thats kinda arguable. I dunno where i really stand, he's at least high A to me.

I think gt goku is a good example of a char who can claim s tier despite his weaknesses since he kinda has like "best in slot" style positives like his oki and his assist, broly has things that only he can do but it also puts him in that particular bubble? Vs. something like "he has the best neutral"

Last edited:

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
At this point it can only be at EVO. The typical trailer with the "will be playable in tomorrow!", at the end.
It's really bad that it's taking them so long to release DLC, plus only a balance patch this season. Makes me think they directed most resources of this game into something else.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, how soon can be expect a sequel? Maybe another full year since we still have 3 S2 characters to go? and you need to let them breathe, but yeah, they were too damn spread out.

Hopefully the next game has more than one Assist option for each character ala Mahvel.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
At this point it can only be at EVO. The typical trailer with the "will be playable in tomorrow!", at the end.
It's really bad that it's taking them so long to release DLC, plus only a balance patch this season. Makes me think they directed most resources of this game into something else.
They're doing much worse with SCVI, which will mark five months between DLC characters by Evo. And unlike DBFZ, which is made by Arc, SCVI is handled internally by Project Soul and has only one character left this season as opposed to the three remaining for this. Three months between GT Kid Goku and Janemba seems normal, and what should've been the lapse between Amy and Cassandra as well (it had been three between 2B and Amy, and only two between Tira and 2B since the former was already done and just removed from the base game to be paid).

I pretty much expected something like Janemba at Evo and then Fury Broly and SSB Gogeta by fall, but I see no excuse for how they've stalled with Cass in SCVI.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, how soon can be expect a sequel? Maybe another full year since we still have 3 S2 characters to go? and you need to let them breathe, but yeah, they were too damn spread out.

Hopefully the next game has more than one Assist option for each character ala Mahvel.

I feel like a sequel will be on next gen hardware

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, didn't realize SCVI was that bad. I did buy that too on a recent sale, need to play it more, Geralt seemed fun.

I feel like a sequel will be on next gen hardware

Good call, although with this art style, hard to make it look even better, maybe more interactive backgrounds? or how could you make a sequel "prettier"?

closer

Oct 25, 2017
no idea, though I do love the idea of having better stages and all that, it's just timing-wise it'd be odd to create the game for the current gen to me (unless they are maybe working on a guilty gear style rev?, not that familiar with arcsys)

i feel like I'd expect them to alter certain mechanics like sd, choosing assists, etc. but at the same time I feel like that's me in the internet dbfz bubble and arcsys might not even remotely care about that stuff lol

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Good call, although with this art style, hard to make it look even better, maybe more interactive backgrounds? or how could you make a sequel "prettier"?
Some low polygon areas on the characters are still pretty noticeable, taking away from the drawn look. They could likely smooth that over some by increasing poly-count on the models, where they probably can't right now because of all of the particle effects and such taking up too much RAM/processing/etc.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, didn't realize SCVI was that bad. I did buy that too on a recent sale, need to play it more, Geralt seemed fun.
The game itself is fun, they're just terrible at being consistent with telling people when new content is arriving. At the very least, they do provide extensive patch notes when rebalancing the game.
no idea, though I do love the idea of having better stages and all that, it's just timing-wise it'd be odd to create the game for the current gen to me (unless they are maybe working on a guilty gear style rev?, not that familiar with arcsys)

i feel like I'd expect them to alter certain mechanics like sd, choosing assists, etc. but at the same time I feel like that's me in the internet dbfz bubble and arcsys might not even remotely care about that stuff lol
It's far more likely that most of Team Red's efforts are focused on Granblue Fantasy Versus and the next Guilty Gear right now.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I could see DBFZ 2 being Cross Gen. Even with higher poly-counts and the like, no reason why both games couldn't communicate with each other for a larger player base.

Granblue Fantasy looks SO good. Very pretty. When's the next Beta?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing said about another GBVS beta as of yet, or even an actual release date more specific than 2019. A major announcement related to GBVS is supposedly due soon, but no idea when.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018

I wouldn't mind a Season 3, there's a couple of characters I would like to see and more time for them, like you said, breath. But the way they are handling the game makes me want a brand new game instead, fresh start.

They're doing much worse with SCVI, which will mark five months between DLC characters by Evo. And unlike DBFZ, which is made by Arc, SCVI is handled internally by Project Soul and has only one character left this season as opposed to the three remaining for this. Three months between GT Kid Goku and Janemba seems normal, and what should've been the lapse between Amy and Cassandra as well (it had been three between 2B and Amy, and only two between Tira and 2B since the former was already done and just removed from the base game to be paid).

I pretty much expected something like Janemba at Evo and then Fury Broly and SSB Gogeta by fall, but I see no excuse for how they've stalled with Cass in SCVI.
Haven't touched SCVI in a while have to get back into it. Haven't been keeping up with news, but I remember they did that game dirty. Like an afterthought.

FighterZ is about expectations, with less 2 characters they needed to spread them out. We also need news in-between the releases, they have been doing a poor job at that. Releasing 33% of your DLC for the season in one go wasn't a good idea.

Didn't Tekken 7 had a period where there was no news also?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't touched SCVI in a while have to get back into it. Haven't been keeping up with news, but I remember they did that game dirty. Like an afterthought.

FighterZ is about expectations, with less 2 characters they needed to spread them out. We also need news in-between the releases, they have been doing a poor job at that. Releasing 33% of your DLC for the season in one go wasn't a good idea.

Didn't Tekken 7 had a period where there was no news also?
I haven't paid much attention to T7, but it's most definitely the clear favorite in respect to their 3D fighters, SCVI indeed having been treated as an afterthought. Tekken gets a world tour tournament series, whereas Soul Calibur's is Asia-only. Plus, S1 of T7 was finished by the time they announced S2 at Evo last year, and S2 for that (which had six characters in it) is already finished now well ahead of Evo this year.

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a Season 3, there's a couple of characters I would like to see and more time for them, like you said, breath. But the way they are handling the game makes me want a brand new game instead, fresh start.

I agree, I want more characters in this game too, but with the way they handled S2, and and that huge dip for year one to year two, I feel a new game and fresh start would be the best way to revive interest, especially if new features are added (like I said, dying for the multiple assists option!)

closer

Oct 25, 2017
At least 5 ppl better than me in my dtn pool, goal has shifted from getting out of pools to not going 0-2 lol

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017

Probably a while after that CC2 DBZ game has come out.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if any of you like the "Party Battle" that occurs every other week, but this week's is awesome. You take turns with two others fighting against every member of Universe 7.

It's nicely done, and Stage 7 you get to go against Super Saiyan (not Blue) Goku, Frieza, and Android 17 (Sound familiar?) oh, yeah, and they're all at lvl 100 >_>

You get a new BGM for enough victories. It's the most fun I've had with this in a while.