• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Edit 3:

The final answer is that the game has lootboxes, but they can't be bought with real money.

Here's a sample of what you can get in them:

They actually did it in the Dengeki, but it was in japanese.

DQ_jN8EUMAExpfq.jpg

DQ_jOeDVoAISWTg.jpg

DQ_jO5UVwAEC5jX.jpg

Original:

From DrDogg who has an early copy:

My lobby avatar is better than yours!

tJjSc8f.jpg

How do you get this, just unlocked through story mode?

Got it in a "loot box" lol

Im guessing you can buy loot boxes with real money too?

Edit:

Here's the purported purchase screen. Keep in mind, you get "Premium Z Coins" from dupes, and it's 10 for a box. The server isn't up, so we can't confirm for certain that you can also buy Premium Z Coins, though they have the word Premium in the title, and they're not just giving you Zeni for dupes for some reason.

So yeah, you can buy Capsules (lootboxes) with Zeni (you earn that through gameplay) or Premium Coins (you get that from duplicates and I assume you will be able to buy it in PS Store - now you can't cause the servers are down).

rxE7XUu.jpg

And the rate at which you get Zeni:

There's a second currency you can spend in the shop, which I assume is real money. Technically I haven't clicked on it, so I don't know if it will take me to PSN. I'll double check after I finish story mode, but I can't imagine what else that second currency would be if it's not real money.

For reference, I'm about 30% of the way through story mode and I've earned 10k zeni. One loot box costs 1k zeni.

More about the Zeni rate:

Another update:

A capsule cost is 1000 Zeni. You get 1500 Zeni for beating the easiest Arcade Mode for the first time.

I thought that's it but I've beat the same mode again. I got... 2500 Zeni. Maybe it's score dependent? Anyway, seems like getting currency for Capsules will be super easy.

It is worth noting the current ingame explanation does not explicitly note that Z coins can be bought:

Also, in the explanation section where they explain the coins, nowhere does it imply they can be bought.

And there isn't any UI that sends you to the PS store either.

These are 100% earned in game.

Edit 2:

There's an Xbox Store prompt on the Xbox version.

You have a prompt to Xbox Store in the shop where you buy the Z Capsules.

20180118_211746.jpg

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It was perfect until that...but if it's only for cosmetic, I'm cool with it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Ah crap. Well, at least it's for those lobby chibivatars.

Why would you pay for that???

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I have to know what's locked behind loot boxes first

No point in being upset until we know that at least

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, this would have been to good heh.
Just hope it's limited avatar stuff otherwise it might be a problem.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Meh not a big deal as its just for lobby avatars, costume colors, titles, and z stamps. Hopefully it can be earned at a decent rate just by playing online matches normally.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ok, so the game has "loot box"...

I'll wait for more details before I decide how I feel.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also if this is similar to Xrd Rev, this is possibly how SSB Goku and Vegeta are unlocked without the Day One Edition.

To note, Raven was an early unlock in that game, so later had to be unlocked either via the fishing game RNG, or bought unlock via the webstore.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is this supposed to pay for? Server costs? The season pass funds itself and as far as I'm aware there isn't free dlc or content updates planned.

We using microtransactions to justify patching the game or something? Lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Also if this is similar to Xrd Rev, this is possibly how SSB Goku and Vegeta are unlocked without the Day One Edition.
I'd imagine that SSJB Goku & Vegeta will be unlocked via Story Mode.

And assuming that the loot boxes are mainly for the chibi lobby avatars, it's no skin off my back.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im impressed that Bamco didnt tried to sell lootboxes with Tekken 7. Well, avatar lobbies is not a big deal

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's dumb and I maintain that even cosmetic loot boxes are shit if you need to pay for them, but honestly I do have to wonder who actually cares that much about a lobby avatar to pay for lootboxes. I'm sure there are people who would I mean, but it's a lot less offensive than making actual in fight alt costume and palette swaps as lootboxes (though I understand why any sort of true alt costume in DBFZ is unlikely to happen in any capacity)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao It'll be interesting to see the reaction of people in the internet now.

I already made the preorder and I'm going to play offline so no problem for me.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty innocent. But usually when you have loot boxes I would like to see free DLC. I'm assuming we'll still be buying the new characters with real money.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
If you charge for dlc you should not include loot boxes.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Let it be just cosmetic and vanity items.

Anything that changes gameplay tied to paid RNG is BS.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd probably be more upset if I didn't suspect that these avatars only existed as a way to sell lootboxes in the first place and that we wouldn't just be getting something like the beta where the avatars are just chibi versions of the playable characters with no frills attached without this

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
At least make the DLC characters free if you are going to put loot boxes in any way. Even if it's for chibivatars.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Can we have a proof screenshot at least?

Also if its the case its just the same like fishing in Guilty Gear only with another option to obtain.

More options are a good thing.