Dragon Ball FighterZ reportedly has lootboxes. Update: No real-money lootboxes.

Oct 25, 2017
Edit 3:

The final answer is that the game has lootboxes, but they can’t be bought with real money.

Here’s a sample of what you can get in them:

They actually did it in the Dengeki, but it was in japanese.

Original:

From DrDogg who has an early copy:

My lobby avatar is better than yours!

How do you get this, just unlocked through story mode?
Got it in a "loot box" lol
Im guessing you can buy loot boxes with real money too?
Edit:

Here's the purported purchase screen. Keep in mind, you get "Premium Z Coins" from dupes, and it's 10 for a box. The server isn't up, so we can't confirm for certain that you can also buy Premium Z Coins, though they have the word Premium in the title, and they're not just giving you Zeni for dupes for some reason.

So yeah, you can buy Capsules (lootboxes) with Zeni (you earn that through gameplay) or Premium Coins (you get that from duplicates and I assume you will be able to buy it in PS Store - now you can't cause the servers are down).

And the rate at which you get Zeni:

There's a second currency you can spend in the shop, which I assume is real money. Technically I haven't clicked on it, so I don't know if it will take me to PSN. I'll double check after I finish story mode, but I can't imagine what else that second currency would be if it's not real money.

For reference, I'm about 30% of the way through story mode and I've earned 10k zeni. One loot box costs 1k zeni.
More about the Zeni rate:

Another update:

A capsule cost is 1000 Zeni. You get 1500 Zeni for beating the easiest Arcade Mode for the first time.

I thought that's it but I've beat the same mode again. I got... 2500 Zeni. Maybe it's score dependent? Anyway, seems like getting currency for Capsules will be super easy.
It is worth noting the current ingame explanation does not explicitly note that Z coins can be bought:

Also, in the explanation section where they explain the coins, nowhere does it imply they can be bought.

And there isn't any UI that sends you to the PS store either.

These are 100% earned in game.
Edit 2:

There's an Xbox Store prompt on the Xbox version.

You have a prompt to Xbox Store in the shop where you buy the Z Capsules.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Meh not a big deal as its just for lobby avatars, costume colors, titles, and z stamps. Hopefully it can be earned at a decent rate just by playing online matches normally.

Oct 25, 2017
Also if this is similar to Xrd Rev, this is possibly how SSB Goku and Vegeta are unlocked without the Day One Edition.

To note, Raven was an early unlock in that game, so later had to be unlocked either via the fishing game RNG, or bought unlock via the webstore.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is this supposed to pay for? Server costs? The season pass funds itself and as far as I'm aware there isn't free dlc or content updates planned.

We using microtransactions to justify patching the game or something? Lol

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Also if this is similar to Xrd Rev, this is possibly how SSB Goku and Vegeta are unlocked without the Day One Edition.
I'd imagine that SSJB Goku & Vegeta will be unlocked via Story Mode.

And assuming that the loot boxes are mainly for the chibi lobby avatars, it's no skin off my back.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's dumb and I maintain that even cosmetic loot boxes are shit if you need to pay for them, but honestly I do have to wonder who actually cares that much about a lobby avatar to pay for lootboxes. I'm sure there are people who would I mean, but it's a lot less offensive than making actual in fight alt costume and palette swaps as lootboxes (though I understand why any sort of true alt costume in DBFZ is unlikely to happen in any capacity)

Nemesis162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
lmao It'll be interesting to see the reaction of people in the internet now.

I already made the preorder and I'm going to play offline so no problem for me.

Oct 25, 2017
That’s pretty innocent. But usually when you have loot boxes I would like to see free DLC. I’m assuming we’ll still be buying the new characters with real money.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd probably be more upset if I didn't suspect that these avatars only existed as a way to sell lootboxes in the first place and that we wouldn't just be getting something like the beta where the avatars are just chibi versions of the playable characters with no frills attached without this