• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Considering you guys turned Beautiful Tenshinhan into Tien and Continue to Call the Genki Dama "Spirit Bomb" (I know thats just a translation but Genki Dama is sooo much cooler. It's like translating Kame Hame Ha! :D) you cant really call other people out! :p Just...assumjng you are american^^
Nope europian here, dont even get me started with those butchered american names lol

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Potara fusion was always stated to produce a stronger warrior than the dance

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
It is not the same

As the kanji itself for the word means nothing. Also Toriyama said it is a reference to King Kamehameha. But really just wanted something that ended in HA, so his wife threw something out for him and he used it. So the only way to translate it directly is to make something up

The kanji for KAME is not the same KAME used for Turtle

HAME is not even close to HAMETSU for devastation

HA, for wave is correct, but since the rest of the kanji used means almost nothing it is really just a coincidence on how it is written

So not translating that makes sense. Excuse to match lip flaps easier too with being easy to pronounce

Could you see is as a reference to Kame Sennin? Sure if you want, but that is now what the actual word translates to. I mean why not use the right words then?

I think I am misunderstanding all of this but while its true the origin is from Toriyama's wife saying King Kamehameha the english dub does mess it up in the pronunciation ka-maya-maya when it should be ka-meh-ha-meh-ha.

As for the puns and stuff while kame isn't spelt like that in kanji it could still be a pun because kame = kame = turtle. Wouldn't be the first time he did a pun like that but its nothing official.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I am misunderstanding all of this but while its true the origin is from Toriyama's wife saying King Kamehameha the english dub does mess it up in the pronunciation ka-maya-maya when it should be ka-meh-ha-meh-ha.

As for the puns and stuff while kame isn't spelt like that in kanji it could still be a pun because kame = kame = turtle. Wouldn't be the first time he did a pun like that but its nothing official.

there is 0 reason for him to spell it with nonsensical letters, but spell the Kame in Kame Sennin correctly

Regardless. We are talking from a translation only thing, not intentions on puns. The fact is that Kamehameha itself in Japanese is not representing anything itself. Even if you want to say it as a pun, only Kame would work as Hame is not spelled or even close to punning on Hametsu. But translation wise, it is either falsely translate it as if it were a pun, or keep it kamehameha

In the end if they WERE to translate it like they would translate Genki Dama into Spirit Bomb, Turtle Devastation Wave, would not fit the lip flaps for Kamehameha. So with all those reasons, Kamehameha is best left alone as there is 0 reason at all to translate

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'd take a pic of the exact moment the Elder Kaioshin tells Goku about the great effect of Potata fusion, compared to the Fusion dance, but nah, you guys who think Fusion dance is stronger go figure it out yourselves.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason, Funimation spelled it as Vegito for years, so that's what a lot of people are used to. Funi spells it as Vegetto these days, but habits are hard to break.

Yeah, I do that sometimes too. I think it's one of the few characters where sometimes I put Vegito and others Vegetto

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As is your dedication to Ganos. Such is the way of life

giphy.webp

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering you guys turned Beautiful Tenshinhan into Tien and Continue to Call the Genki Dama "Spirit Bomb" (I know thats just a translation but Genki Dama is sooo much cooler. It's like translating Kame Hame Ha! :D) you cant really call other people out! :p Just...assumjng you are american^^

Ah yes "energy sphere" is so much cooler.

Prefer detructo disk more too but I love alliteration.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay - in the OG manga he's called Gogeta and they never do the fusion dance. Was the dance added filler in the anime?
I just realized that I haven't watched all of Dragon Ball Z after the Cell games.

He was always called Vegito. You are misremembering

Gogeta is a movie and GT only character

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He was always called Vegito. You are misremembering

Gogeta is a movie and GT only character

Nah, I'm extremely sure - I don't have the book at hand, but I can check next week :P It might be a translation thing, maybe he's only called like that in German. Just like Mr. Satan isn't Satan in every language.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I'm extremely sure - I don't have the book at hand, but I can check next week :P It might be a translation thing, maybe he's only called like that in German. Just like Mr. Satan isn't Satan in every language.

No you are wrong. I am German too (and that doesnt matter) but he is also called Vegeto in our translation. The fusion dance character is called Gogeta.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
His name is Vegerot.

There's no O at the tail end of Kakarot.

Funimation are cowards.
Vegerot would be the technically correct name, yeah, but Toriyama went with the romanization of Kakarot (Kakarotto) for Vegito's name, so he ended up taking the "BEJI" from "Bejiita" and "TTO" from "Kakarotto". I gotta say though, Vegito sounds better than Vegerot, even if it doesn't make sense in other languages why his name is that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even get the difference between Gogeta and Vegito other than fusion style and costume.

Like what would Gogeta bring to the table that Vegito doesn't?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You mean the americanized names that are correct?
For real
Still,I still can't get over YuGiOh Americanized names. Those are reaaally bad

"Hey let's make this cool Ryoga guy a Reginald Castle, that suits him"

"So this Yuzu chick is very relevant to the plot and she's the first female character to ever have the traditional Yu- name...oh she's into music? Call her Zuzu Boyle...yes exactly, like Susan Boyle, it's genius"

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I just hope to god that Radditz is in Season 2. Besides that I expect Roshi, Caulifa, Kale, Jiren, Toppo, etc.

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017
When's Zamasu/Vegito releasing?

Man why do you people love to hate on each other for either GT, Z or Super. Just be like me and love them all.
CdHwvACUMAAhLk3.jpg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
When's Zamasu/Vegito releasing?

Man why do you people love to hate on each other for either GT, Z or Super. Just be like me and love them all.
CdHwvACUMAAhLk3.jpg
I don't hate people for liking GT. I hate GT for triggering Stockhom syndrome in people who think they like GT. It's absolutely ningen.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
What if they did the fusion dance but at the last moment someone slapped dem earring on