• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite dragon ball show?

• Dragon Ball

Votes: 269 40.9%
  • Dragon Ball Z

Votes: 323 49.1%
  • Dragon Ball GT

Votes: 12 1.8%
  • Dragon Ball Super

Votes: 54 8.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When i started watching the show i started on DBZ, but always heard people saying that dragon ball is the best of all of them, I'm currently watching on Funimation and my god, the animation is amazing, everything is top notch. Which one is your favorite?

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019
DBZ is the best. I watch the series through once a year because it's so good. Plus there's this incredible analysis of the show that I revisit once in a while:

The monologue on Vegeta that starts around the 26min mark really put the character in a different perspective for me

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly DB should absolutely be the starting point for anyone who wants to get into this series. It is the beginning of the story and it was the starting point for pretty much everyone, unless you happened to live in the US. The way this series has been mishandled in the US is truly a sight to behold. It is infuriating.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The OG is the best. The sense of adventure, the martial arts in a lot of the fights, I love DBZ, but the feeling of progression you get watching Goku is fantastic.
Plus I love tournament arcs, at the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai are fantastic. I also really need to rewatch Evil King Piccolo's arc.

I only watch dubbed, but I prefer Tenakaichi Budokai to World Martial Arts Tournament, lol

Oct 31, 2017
The Dragon Ball portion of the anime is definitely the best. I haven't seen Super, but I'm still pretty confident in that assessment.

DBZ up through the destruction of Namek is also really solid, even though there's a number of stretches where not much happens, especially on Namek itself.

After Namek, DBZ really dips in quality IMO. Androids and Cell are mostly okay, but still quite a bit weaker than everything proceeding them. Buu is mostly pretty bad, but I also haven't fully watched DBZ in years.

Don't really have much interest in watching Super, but I've heard some decent things. Seeing the animation quality in various spots was a pretty big turn off though.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love DBZ, DB is just too much fun. It's an actual adventure with a ton of heart.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
DBZ will always have a special place in my heart as it was my first DB series and pretty much my introduction to anime. Fond memories of watching on Toonami after school.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Dragon Ball portion of the anime is definitely the best. I haven't seen Super, but I'm still pretty confident in that assessment.

DBZ up through the destruction of Namek is also really solid, even though there's a number of stretches where not much happens, especially on Namek itself.

After Namek, DBZ really dips in quality IMO. Androids and Cell are mostly okay, but still quite a bit weaker than everything proceeding them. Buu is mostly pretty bad, but I also haven't fully watched DBZ in years.

Don't really have much interest in watching Super, but I've heard some decent things. Seeing the animation quality in various spots was a pretty big turn off though.
Yeah, while I like the Android and Cell sagas, Frieza saga is fantastic, as he was such a great villain and threat. Sure power levels got ridiculous, but it was still a sense of pretty awesome progression. After this point, with enemies being designed on Earth stronger than Frieza, it's kind of silly.

Buu's biggest fault is that it is really friggin' long. In DBKai, it's basically half the entire series.

As much as I love DBZ, DB is just too much fun. It's an actual adventure with a ton of heart.
[.MEDIA=youtube]zHkDNQSykaI[/MEDIA]

It really bothers me that in DBZ at a point it felt like Goku just stopped caring about the 4-star Dragon ball.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me:

1) Dragon Ball.
2) Dragon Ball Z.
3) Dragon Ball GT.

4) A piece of shit on fire.

??) Dragon Ball Super.

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_4.01.24_PM.jpg

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Z Kai is fantastic.

Im also really glad I never had to put up with grandma Goku.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragonball is the better overall, it has more imagination regarding battles and power excesses. It seems like there is a balance between fighters.
Things like the rice cooker technique or using a log to travel, are more fun and interesting than a transformation or training montage.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I love srangoball as a kid, but it's all really weakened when you realize Toriyama just made shit up as he went

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Super starts our rough but the Tounament of Power is well worth it all

I was screaming alone in my room at the finale

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Make sure to watch subbed to enhance your experience even more.
Sub is really good. All of the characters have great voice actors, unlike the dub where the main cast is great, but outside of that it stinks. Basically the same problem I have with Yuyu's dub (main cast is great, others not so much).

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I never got into DB. My friend was fanatical about DBZ when I was a teen but when he made me watch it it bored me.

I'm playing DB Fighterz at the moment and mostly skipping through the story. Maybe I should give the show another chance though, what's the best way to watch it in the U.K.?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
DBZ is my favorite because nostalgia is a helluva drug. Being 11/12 years old and coming home from school to watch it on Toonami was the highlight of my day.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to watch it as a kid but it was never shown on TV because it was too violent compared to DBZ and my video store never had any to rent. :( I might watch it one day though.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Ball is such a great series, I have no problem rotating it with Dragon Ball Z. GT was basically hot garbage for large parts of the series, and I'm mixed on Super.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The way this series has been mishandled in the US is truly a sight to behold. It is infuriating.

well they tried... giving us OG dragon ball at first well aware it wouldn't catch on as fast. then they said fuck it and rolled out DBZ and it still didn't catch on until the CN/toonami run

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The franchise is one one my absolute favourites. I bounce back and forth between liking DB or Z more, with Super in 3rd place.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
DBZ because of some of the best fights in anime history and the goat power up ( original SSJ). Overall DB is better because Cell Saga and Buu saga are a huge mess.

This shit is still incredibile even after 30 years.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, while I like the Android and Cell sagas, Frieza saga is fantastic, as he was such a great villain and threat. Sure power levels got ridiculous, but it was still a sense of pretty awesome progression. After this point, with enemies being designed on Earth stronger than Frieza, it's kind of silly.

Buu's biggest fault is that it is really friggin' long. In DBKai, it's basically half the entire series.

It really bothers me that in DBZ at a point it felt like Goku just stopped caring about the 4-star Dragon ball.

Frieza is basically the apex of the show. From very early, it's implied that Goku is an alien and Frieza is the alien end-game as he's the all powerful alien tyrant. Everything after is just ridiculous ass pull after ridiculous ass pull. My favorite villains post Frieza tends to be the original Androids; it's kind of a shame that they didn't poll well or whatever as they are the ones I liked best actually. Cell was OK, but obviously ridiculous.

The Buu Saga is definitely way too long, no doubt. I tried to start Kai once, but my nostalgia and comprehension with DBZ is too ingrained with the original airing of DBZ in the U.S., warts and all.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frieza is basically the apex of the show. From very early, it's implied that Goku is an alien and Frieza is the alien end-game as he's the all powerful alien tyrant. Everything after is just ridiculous ass pull after ridiculous ass pull. My favorite villains post Frieza tends to be the original Androids; it's kind of a shame that they didn't poll well or whatever as they are the ones I liked best actually. Cell was OK, but obviously ridiculous.

The Buu Saga is definitely way too long, no doubt. I tried to start Kai once, but my nostalgia and comprehension with DBZ is too ingrained with the original airing of DBZ in the U.S., warts and all.
Yeah, I truly appreciate that it honestly feels like everything builds up to Frieza, and it really could have been a natural stopping point.
... if Toriyama's editors didn't keep disagreeing about that, lol

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
DBZ is the best. I watch the series through once a year because it's so good. Plus there's this incredible analysis of the show that I revisit once in a while:

The monologue on Vegeta that starts around the 26min mark really put the character in a different perspective for me
That 90s art used as thumb for the video is amazing. It's so much better than current art style and it's not even close.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I truly appreciate that it honestly feels like everything builds up to Frieza, and it really could have been a natural stopping point.
... if Toriyama's editors didn't keep disagreeing about that, lol

The money was just too good to refuse, unfortunately, so they didn't know when to quit. Runaway capital can ruin the best art so easily.

The story really does build up to Frieza: the end game to both the alien narrative and the chosen one narrative. It really should have ended with Goku going Super Saiyan, whipping Frieza's ass, only for it to be him sacrificing himself to save everything.

The way they ruin Super Saiyan afterwards and its tossed out to each saiyan character so carelessly is so, so disappointing.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Ball is easily the best.
DBZ peaks during the Frieza Arc, everything after that sucks.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
DBZ Cell Saga.
DBZ Namek Saga.
DBS Universe Tournament Saga.
DBS Universe 6.
DB Piccolo Sagas.
DBZ Majin Buu Saga.
DBZ Saiyan Saga.
DB Son Goku Sagas.
DBZ Android Saga.
DBS Trunks Saga.
DBGT Super 17 Saga.
DB Red Ribbon Sagas.
DBS Frieza Saga.
DBZ Saiyaman Saga.
DBS Beerus Saga.
DBGT Shadow Dragon Saga.
DBGT Black Star Saga.
DBGT Baby Saga.

Easy.

Last edited:

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched DB or DBZ in a very long time. Is the Funumation app the place to go to watch the shows?
Just seeing DBZ: Kakatrot and whatnot has made me get an itch I need to scratch.
DragonBall I only watched parts of when I was a kid, it would be nice as an older person now to kinda binge watch the show

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Dragon Ball is easily the best. Best theme song.

Best fight in all of DB (DBZ, Super, GT, and movies included).

Tien vs Goku part 1 and 2.

Nothing else even comes close. DB had a charm unlike any other show of its time. Everybody had their unique and awesome moments. Goku, Roshi, Krillin, Yamcha, Yajirobe, Bulma, everybody.

Oct 17, 2018
For me:

1) Dragon Ball.
2) Dragon Ball Z.
3) Dragon Ball GT.

4) A piece of shit on fire.

??) Dragon Ball Super.
I still don't get why everyone got so hyped over Ultra Instinct. People were like "er mah gawd you've gotta watch it it's like the most hype thing ever" but it was just the exact same as the other 50 dragon ball transformations.