• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I honestly wanted broly to stomp Vegeta more and loved his reaction when Broly took a punch from him in ssg and didn't even flinched. Broly was just amazing, he was going kinda equal to gogeta until gogeta turned ssb. Goku also mentioned that Broly was much stronger than him.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
The movie was amazing, as someone who sat out Super and just watches the movies now, this really killed it in the animation department. Of course the stakes were never really that high, but they never really have been in the films. The new Broly is great, and I loved the prologue.
As much as I (and everyone else) love Goku and Vegeta, am I alone in hoping for something a little different from the next Dragon Ball iteration? I would love a movie or short saga with the saiyans out of the picture. Having the fate of the planet or whatever rest in the hands of Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha. Sort of like the Black Water Saga. It would really be refreshing at this point to have encounters that are a little more tactical like back in the early Z days.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The movie was amazing, as someone who sat out Super and just watches the movies now, this really killed it in the animation department. Of course the stakes were never really that high, but they never really have been in the films. The new Broly is great, and I loved the prologue.
As much as I (and everyone else) love Goku and Vegeta, am I alone in hoping for something a little different from the next Dragon Ball iteration? I would love a movie or short saga with the saiyans out of the picture. Having the fate of the planet or whatever rest in the hands of Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha. Sort of like the Black Water Saga. It would really be refreshing at this point to have encounters that are a little more tactical like back in the early Z days.
That won't ever happen.

The saiyans will always be at forefront, especially goku and vegeta. At best hope for Gohan and 17 to appear.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'd recommend watching Super as the last arc (Tournament of Power) gives plentty of other characters their chance to shine, so hopefully they'll continue that trend forward if a new series arrives. Back when we didn't know how the ToP would end, I was hoping something would happen (small spoilers so click at your own risk): Piccolo goes to train with the Universe 6 Namekians after the ToP is over, there he learns of a power that, thourgh harsh training, grants him fighting abilities that rival those of the Saiyans we know. It's been a year and a message from Piccolo is received by Gohan: U6 Namek is in danger. Gohan sets out to help Piccolo and travels to U6 Namek along with Krillin and A18. Ideally this would happen around the same time Goku and Vegeta are busy with the current manga arc, so this story wouldn't involve them for a good while but it'd be connected because of common enemies involved in both scenarios.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
You should watch Super, they still aren't the main focus but it gives spotlight episodes to characters like Krillin and Roshi, 18 and 17. Even Yamcha got a great baseball episode.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So SSGreen is replacing SS4 right? Paragus said it was the power of great ape in human form like SS4 used to be, Goku and Vegeta both showed green flashes from time to time so theyre on their way to SSGreen, and we know Kale has it.

I wonder if it triggers from fighting with Saiyans or something.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
That won't ever happen.

The saiyans will always be at forefront, especially goku and vegeta. At best hope for Gohan and 17 to appear.

Not a big adult Gohan fan. And I can't stand 17. I mentioned those other characters because they have... Character.

I'd recommend watching Super as the last arc (Tournament of Power) gives plentty of other characters their chance to shine, so hopefully they'll continue that trend forward if a new series arrives. Back when we didn't know how the ToP would end, I was hoping something would happen (small spoilers so click at your own risk): Piccolo goes to train with the Universe 6 Namekians after the ToP is over, there he learns of a power that, thourgh harsh training, grants him fighting abilities that rival those of the Saiyans we know. It's been a year and a message from Piccolo is received by Gohan: U6 Namek is in danger. Gohan sets out to help Piccolo and travels to U6 Namek along with Krillin and A18. Ideally this would happen around the same time Goku and Vegeta are busy with the current manga arc, so this story wouldn't involve them for a good while but it'd be connected because of common enemies involved in both scenarios.

That idea sounds pretty good to me. Always like the Namekian stuff in Z, they were a really interesting race.

You should watch Super, they still aren't the main focus but it gives spotlight episodes to characters like Krillin and Roshi, 18 and 17. Even Yamcha got a great baseball episode.

I would like to watch the baseball episode. I just don't feel Super (the show, anyway, from what I've seen) is up to the level of what Toriyama did in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas. It feels more like a very well intentioned fan fiction than the real continuation to Z and Battle of Gods.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

What you want is Super's Tournament of Power Arc

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed everything about this movie. Went with friends and 1 of them doesn't know much more than character names and was able to follow along and enjoy it, said he'd definitely check out more dbz.

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
Finally, my favorite fusion of Goku & Vegeta is canon now. I always hated Vegetto for some odd reason. It was so good watching Gogeta beat down Broly instead of seeing them whoop ass then unfuse because of time running out due to being over powered. :/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, my favorite fusion of Goku & Vegeta is canon now. I always hated Vegetto for some odd reason. It was so good watching Gogeta beat down Broly instead of seeing them whoop ass then unfuse because of time running out due to being over powered. :/

It's nice that a fusion finally actually won in canon.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Think I'm going to have to go and see this albeit by myself.

Haven't been to the cinema for years and always wanted to see a dragonball movie on a huge screen! Hope I won't feel too awkward!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I liked the movie, it was a fun ride. I have some issues with Broly being as strong as he was conceptually but I'll be damned if I didn't have a good time watching it.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% expected this when they did that kamehameha at the end

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Power levels adapt to the plot.
I mean, yeah, sure, but like, 40 years of training and literal god transformations and he's pretty much holding his own against two of the most skilled fighters in all of existence...

He's ABSURDLY powerful and he grew up fighting his weak-ass dad and eating bugs on a poison space rock. They could have come up with SOMETHING more than "he's just that strong". Ultimately though I'm cool with it. It's fine, I liked the movie, and I understand DB is always going to have strong people arrive.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, sure, but like, 40 years of training and literal god transformations and he's pretty much holding his own against two of the most skilled fighters in all of existence...

He's ABSURDLY powerful and he grew up fighting his weak-ass dad and eating bugs on a poison space rock. They could have come up with SOMETHING more than "he's just that strong". Ultimately though I'm cool with it. It's fine, I liked the movie, and I understand DB is always going to have strong people arrive.
To be fair he couldn't do shit to Vegeta at first. I liked that he had to at least grow and adapt during the fight, at least even if it still is ridiculous lol

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

I understand I'm just saying DB is wrong place to look for reasoning in regards to power levels, it's best not to think about such things.

I mean No.17 is practically on par with SSB. Just enjoy the fights and the spectacle.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, here's my issues with the film

-Forced/odd dialogue. Stuff like Paragus' explanation for Broly's Oozaru power, Goku telling Broly he doesn't have to fight (LMFAO ok Kakarot), ect.

-Uneven pacing. Ex. The first half of the movie possible going a little too slow with things, while the second half of the movie going a little too fast. The forming of Gogeta and the ending resolution between Broly/Goku in particular as far as the too fast stuff.

-Hard to get too invested in the stakes because of these previous 2 issues, the nature of Dragon Ball, and the nature of it's movies.

So pretty much, standard Dragon Ball movie complaints. As fun as even the Super movies have been, I've always been of the mindset that Dragon Ball stories just have a hard time being crammed into a movie format. At this point I'm kind of aware of that and have kind of a "take what I can get" view on them.

And as far as taking what I can get, this movie fucking delivered. All and all, it's most likely my favorite of the movies, with Battle of the Gods a fairly close 2nd. I loved the meat they gave us with the first half story stuff, even if it was slow at times, and the action was about the most heart pumping that Dragon Ball has ever seen.

That being said, I would love a retelling in series form, similar to BoG and RF, because I did want more here to be expanded. However, because the animation was just so spectacular and distinct in this movie, I'm worried a series retread would run into a problem of just not being able to live up to that. BoG and RF didn't have do deal with that as much, even with the bad animation that DBS's re-tellings provided us with, it was manageable. Re-telling Broly like that would be a huge disservice.

Oh and also, while the music was generally fucking amazing, the "GOGETA!/BROLY!" chants and shit, I can't tell if they were a little too much, or just fucking perfect lol.

Last edited:

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
To whoever asked why Goku didn't use UI, he literally stated at the end of super he can't go into it anymore for now.

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it, even though it absolutely does have the same problems modern Dragon Ball has always had in terms of plot. I came in hoping for funny dialogue and a laser light show and that's exactly what I got.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I would like to watch the baseball episode. I just don't feel Super (the show, anyway, from what I've seen) is up to the level of what Toriyama did in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas. It feels more like a very well intentioned fan fiction than the real continuation to Z and Battle of Gods.
Nothing in the series is more fan fiction than this movie and the storylines are more directly linked to BoG than anything in this movie.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So Era, does Gogeta see himself as a different entity to Vegito? Since he is aware and chose to differentiate himself.

Also the scene with Wrathful Broly slamming God Goku was really fucking brutal. Like some people seemed a bit uncomfortable with Sean's screams of pain in that scene. I kinda liked it, like Broly came off as a serious legitimate threat.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Also the scene with Wrathful Broly slamming God Goku was really fucking brutal. Like some people seemed a bit uncomfortable with Sean's screams of pain in that scene. I kinda liked it, like Broly came off as a serious legitimate threat.
Damn, I missed that. I couldn't hear shit over all the laughter in my theater. I liked the look of that scene but it's kind of odd. These guys get knocked into mountains but getting slammed on the ground hurts a lot?

When can we expect this movie to hit iTunes?

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So Era, does Gogeta see himself as a different entity to Vegito? Since he is aware and chose to differentiate himself.

Yea that scene was brutal. Those screams and then the pupils disappearing made it seem brutal. also when broly was on top of goku punching him and and slamming his fist on goku was brutal.

Namikaze

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Vegeta didn't job in this movie. He looked so serious during his fight with Broly, as though Broly was beneath him (THE PRINCE IS BACK). Much better than his reaction in the original Broly movie. The way he moved and even transformed was so fluid.

I can't believe they incorporated martial arts (ala the OG DB) to the fights. The choreography was excellent. The intensity of the fights was some of the best in the series. Can't wait to grab the blu-ray.

Oct 27, 2017
Them spoiling Gogeta in the trailers for this movie was the worst shit ever, and the worst part was that I wasn't even watching the trailers, my friend just casually mentioned it one day. Thankfully I went with a group of six, and half of them didn't know about it. When Goku first dropped the idea of fusion I looked over at one of them and he looked like he was about to drop on the floor lmao.

But anyway this was the most hype movie I've ever seen in theaters. We went stoned af which helped me not nitpick the movie to death and just enjoy how fuckin savage the Broly v. Gogeta fight was. I was just surprised by Gogeta, at the end there he was ready to absolutely obliterate Broly which felt like a very un-Goku thing to do. No talk of "We should keep him around so that we have someone strong to fight!!!" just straight murder. And then he spooked the daylights outta Frieza he didn't want a piece of that.

Also if I had to weight in on the power level argument, the idea that UI and even MUI >>> Gogeta and Vegito just feels wrong to me. Is that really canon or just going based off one of the games? If Gogeta is really Goku + Vegeta multiplied then I just can't buy it, it would really undersell their individual power levels, and God knows how much they're being multiplied by. Maybe it was just the savagery of the fight but by the time Broly went LSSJ and pushed Gogeta to Blue I really felt like they both could whoop Jiren. If Kefla, a fusion of two characters weaker than Goku and Vegeta pushed Goku in UI, then surely a fusion of two significantly stronger characters is just utterly broken.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
But anyway this was the most hype movie I've ever seen in theaters. We went stoned af which helped me not nitpick the movie to death and just enjoy how fuckin savage the Broly v. Gogeta fight was. I was just surprised by Gogeta, at the end there he was ready to absolutely obliterate Broly which felt like a very un-Goku thing to do. No talk of "We should keep him around so that we have someone strong to fight!!!" just straight murder. And then he spooked the daylights outta Frieza he didn't want a piece of that.

It was very unusual and fascinating. In his base form he seemed playful and was having a good time. Then as a Super Saiyan he seemed a bit more serious but still having a good time. Then once he went Blue, he started getting more serious and then started going for the kill. Ignoring the darkened sky from the Dragonballs and going for Broly's guts. There was no mercy as the battle progressed.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I liked about Broly that seems to be underappreciated is his ability to learn. It was super awesome seeing Goku trap him and then Broly do the same thing back.

Also, when Broly went full power and for a second you see red eyes(great ape) was an awesome touch. There is a shit ton of attention to detail in this movie.

I cant wait to see it again Saturday with my wife.

Oct 30, 2017
That movie was so good lol.

Got a big laugh from me when goku dumped angry broly onto frieza for an hour and a half just so they could regroup lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think the series runners probably consider Broly to be stronger, but to me Jiren "felt" stronger in terms of polish and the sheer amount of things they had to do just to knock the guy out of a ring.

Either way if he ever comes back he's probably gonna be nerfed to hell anyway

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I think the series runners probably consider Broly to be stronger, but to me Jiren "felt" stronger in terms of polish and the sheer amount of things they had to do just to knock the guy out of a ring.

Either way if he ever comes back he's probably gonna be nerfed to hell anyway

It's kinda hard to know since they're not allowed to fight to kill in the ToP.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going so see the movie again Sunday, but god damn am I tempted to go again tonight. Seeing this movie in theaters is just nuts.

Also, on a note to my previous posts, another one of the weird, forced/odd lines I remember was when Vegeta was fighting Broly, and Vegeta says "he must have studied how to use his power!"........lol wtf what? Seriously what does that even mean?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going so see the movie again Sunday, but god damn am I tempted to go again tonight. Seeing this movie in theaters is just nuts.

Also, on a note to my previous posts, another one of the weird, forced/odd lines I remember was when Vegeta was fighting Broly, and Vegeta says "he must have studied how to use his power!"........lol wtf what? Seriously what does that even mean?
That line was really bad lol, my theater laughed at it. There was a few awkward ones here and there.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Huh that was not in the LatAm or Japanese dub

We got "What? He's studying my style as we fight!?"

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh that was not in the LatAm or Japanese dub

We got "What? He's studying my style as we fight!?"

He says something like that as well (I think after, when he's being pushed through a glacier), he says "Dammit, he's learning as he fights!" You can actually hear it in this trailer at :36

But then there's another shot where he blocks a punch from Broly before things get too intense (like I said I think it's before) and he says that "he must have studied how to use his power!" line. It's so weird it actually just sounds like a straight mis-translation or something.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He says something like that as well (I think after, when he's being pushed through a glacier), he says "Dammit, he's learning as he fights!" You can actually hear it in this trailer at :36

But then there's another shot where he blocks a punch from Broly before things get too intense (like I said I think it's before) and he says that "he must have studied how to use his power!" line. It's so weird it actually just sounds like a straight mis-translation or something.

i dont think is a minstranslation and more of a bad choice of translation

i dont remember the scene but i think since, paragus was all, "he is gonna kick your as vegeta!", vegeta was like, he needed more training or something along the lines.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Vegeta didn't job in this movie. He looked so serious during his fight with Broly, as though Broly was beneath him (THE PRINCE IS BACK). Much better than his reaction in the original Broly movie. The way he moved and even transformed was so fluid.
Honestly, this along with Vegeta mentioning Goku taking away his shot at revenge in RF gives me slight hope that Toriyama might finally give Vegeta a chance to shine.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Vegeta really felt great in this movie. He didn't job (although I think his jobbing status if very overstated), and didn't get robbed. He was awesome. Made me so happy.

Man, I can't believe they actually gave Gogeta his stardust breaker. Anyone else with hype theaters go nuts at that? The second I saw it I couldn't contain myself, and the whole theater joined in with a collective oh shit.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I think biggest pop was when Vegeta went Super Saiyan God, and when they left Broly to fight with Frieza.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that a fusion finally actually won in canon.

The thing that I most liked about that fight was how easily Gogeta kicked Broly's ass, it wasn't a fair fight, it was just Gogeta destroying Broly for 5 minutes, they didn't even reach the 30 minutes limit that they always do.

I like this because the fusión of Vegeta and Goku with their ultimate form should absolutely destroy everyone.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think biggest pop was when Vegeta went Super Saiyan God, and when they left Broly to fight with Frieza.

Those two were big for me too, bigger than the Stardust Breaker. You could tell not everyone knew what it was, but enough people did. Leaving him with Frieza was probably the biggest one, but that shit was legitimate hysterical and awesome. Got a big laugh out of me.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The way Dragon Ball Super keeps upping it's quality with each new product after the disastrous retellings is outstanding

Not too long ago Dragon Ball looked like this
latest