• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The way Dragon Ball Super keeps upping it's quality with each new product after the disastrous retellings is outstanding

Not too long ago Dragon Ball looked like this
latest
They look like they're racing each other to the bathroom.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night and it's my favorite DBZ movie yet. Only complaint is I didn't care for some of the music, like that chanting near the end, that was wack. And some of the fighting started getting into dumb territory with all the lights flashing and shit. Keep it simple, damn. Still hype AF and I was completely satisfied. Dragonball has never looked so good, I hope when the anime continues it at least looks half as good...

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from seeing it with my son. Surprised the theatre was packed. Good to see DB is alive and well in 2019. We both enjoyed it a lot. My only complaint is the lack of other characters. I wish they showed reactions of the other Z fighters and earthlings or something though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night and it's my favorite DBZ movie yet. Only complaint is I didn't care for some of the music, like that chanting near the end, that was wack. And some of the fighting started getting into dumb territory with all the lights flashing and shit. Keep it simple, damn. Still hype AF and I was completely satisfied. Dragonball has never looked so good, I hope when the anime continues it at least looks half as good...

music was definitely the most disappointing part of the film for me. those jaw dropping visuals deserved better.

I have some pretty good memories of the music that accompanied Gogeta in past films...

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the score was pretty fucking amazing. Yeah the chanting was a little weird for sure, but it's growing on me. But if that's bothersome, you take out the chanting and this is some of the best Dragon Ball music ever imo.

I fucking love that this track nearly sounds like a Mega-Man boss or some shit combined with a more typical action movie score. And then of course the chanting lol, which like I said is growing on me. It gets particularly amazing at 2:36.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
apparently the director added the chanting inspired by mexicans chanting fighters name on episode 130 and 131 of super when they were streamed here in mexico

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
apparently the director added the chanting inspired by mexicans chanting fighters name on episode 130 and 131 of super when they were streamed here in mexico

Well that's kind of fucking awesome.

You just have to submit to it. When I first heard it in the theater I was a bit yeesh....but then since then I've been chanting GOGETA! GOGETA! GO BROLY GO BROLY! a lot in my head, bahaha. I think when I go see it a 2nd time I'm gonna love it.

Oct 25, 2017
That was a fun time.
+Broly is an actual character now. I liked him with Cheelai and Lemo
+Great art and music. (Go Broly Go Go)
+Some of the best fight scenes in DB. The flying animation helps
+ Nice funny bits
+ All the characters did their thing and Gogeta was cool. Liked new characters
-Pacing was kinda rushed at the end.
-Beerus, Piccolo, and Whis didn't really do much.
-Paragus's death scene was anticlimactic
-Kinda low stakes tbh
The real hot take ya wanted:
DB minus stuff was fine. Didn't love or hate it. New Bardock and Gine were ok

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was kinda weird they didnt mention Kale at all.

Overall movie whipped serious ass. Soundtrack was amazing I love the dumb hype kan chanting

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Earth Shenron give 2 wishes? What happened to the second wish after Cheelai made hers?

Also, I was verryyyyyy surprised we didn't see Frieza killing that main yellow henchman dude. Considering he caved and gave Cheelai the instructions. That was pretty out of character for Frieza. Once they were back on the ship, I fully expected that dude to made an example out of. Especially cause they have the blue weird hencman that Frieza seems to have some sort of respect for, it all seemed to set up for it. Dunno how they missed that beat.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Earth Shenron give 2 wishes? What happened to the second wish after Cheelai made hers?

Seeing as how the Kami of Earth can change the wish rules at will, I always thought these rules were completely arbitrary stuff that Kami and Shenron decide to apply (to make things fair) rather than hard-set limitations. IMO Shenron was fed up and just decided to gtfo. It's not like he was physically obligated to give a second wish.

Oct 25, 2017

Also, I was verryyyyyy surprised we didn't see Frieza killing that main yellow henchman dude. Considering he caved and gave Cheelai the instructions. That was pretty out of character for Frieza. Once they were back on the ship, I fully expected that dude to made an example out of. Especially cause they have the blue weird hencman that Frieza seems to have some sort of respect for, it all seemed to set up for it. Dunno how they missed that beat.
He's been with Freeza since the events of Minus. Freeza isn't going to kill him for that when the instructions is just to say what you want anyway.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as how the Kami of Earth can change the wish rules at will, I always thought these rules were completely arbitrary stuff that Kami and Shenron decide to apply (to make things fair) rather than hard-set limitations. IMO Shenron was fed up and just decided to gtfo. It's not like he was physically obligated to give a second wish.

.....Weird but ok. I mean he specifically said "I will grant you 1 wish" when he came out. To make it less retconn-y, they should have just made it to where 1 wish was to save Broly, and the next wish was to send him back to his own planet.

He's been with Freeza since the events of Minus. Freeza isn't going to kill him for that when the instructions is just to say what you want anyway.

Really? He seemed vaguely familiar, but has he been in any of the anime? Or only the minus manga? Still, Frieza doesn't give a fuck. I don't see how he doesn't see that as a blatant betrayal. He's killed loyal servants for far less. I mean look at Tagoma in Resurrection F. Don't know which one's worse, what he does to him in the movie or the show.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

KAKAROT! KAKAROT! KAKAROT!

Talk about perfect music befitting a Goku fight. There's even parts of it that sound like original Dragon Ball music.

Last edited:

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I felt the hype draining out of the audience somewhere during the final 10 minutes of the battle once they realized that Broly didn't really stand a chance against Gogeta. It wasn't even close, and the crowd's energy reflected that. Also, I don't think anybody anticipated the film ending the way it did, with bridges mended between Broly and the others and possibly setting up an alliance further on. It was all too congenial, I feel.

Still, it was fun. There's no question that this Broly is so much more fleshed out than the previous incarnations. He's someone worth caring about now.

Also, the animation was really nice...until the weird other dimension part where everything was cgi.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally we get classic idiot but good guy Goku instead of crazy man Goku that we've been getting

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the longest time I thought this movie was gonna be about Goku and Vegeta going to Universe 6's Saiyan planet. I think that was on an IMDB description for a while.

edit: Can someone explain El Hermano to me please

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

In all honesty Freeza seemed like he was in a good mood in this movie lol. He was actually talking to his henchmen like they were people.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I don't think anybody anticipated the film ending the way it did, with bridges mended between Broly and the others and possibly setting up an alliance further on. It was all too congenial, I feel.

Still, it was fun. There's no question that this Broly is so much more fleshed out than the previous incarnations. He's someone worth caring about now.
I think the ending is what partially made the difference between old non-canon Broly and new canon Broly, though. They had to wrap it up in a way where he wasn't just a permanent psychopath. Also this is the best way they could have treated Broly as an extremely serious threat(the fact that Gogeta actually went for the kill shot) and still preserve the nuance of this more innocent Broly's characterization.... and set him aside for future character growth(by pulling him out after his defeat and allowing him to revert back to his more mellow state).
In all honesty Freeza seemed like he was in a good mood in this movie lol. He was actually talking to his henchmen like they were people.
It's interesting how he let "Berryblue" talk down to him early on with no repercussions. They must have a somewhat intimate history.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I felt the hype draining out of the audience somewhere during the final 10 minutes of the battle once they realized that Broly didn't really stand a chance against Gogeta.
See I thought that was a good idea. Gogeta isn't the hero once he shows up. He's the antagonist you want to fail so that Broly doesn't die a pointless death.

The tension isn't from whether or not Gogeta will triumph, it's from whether or not Broly can last long enough to merely survive fighting this monster.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the ending is what partially made the difference between old non-canon Broly and new canon Broly, though. They had to wrap it up in a way where he wasn't just a permanent psychopath. Also this is the best way they could have treated Broly as an extremely serious threat(the fact that Gogeta actually went for the kill shot) and still preserve the nuance of this more innocent Broly's characterization.... and set him aside for future character growth(by pulling him out after his defeat and allowing him to revert back to his more mellow state).

It's interesting how he let "Berryblue" talk down to him early on with no repercussions. They must have a somewhat intimate history.
See I thought that was a good idea. Gogeta isn't the hero once he shows up. He's the antagonist you want to fail so that Broly doesn't die a pointless death.

The tension isn't from whether or not Gogeta will triumph, it's from whether or not Broly can last long enough to merely survive fighting this monster.

Makes sense, I think they could have played into the more tragic angle a bit further though. The final battle was lacking a sense of urgency I feel.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You must be fun at parties

If you're a grown man and you're literally getting out of your theater seat and making an ass out of yourself in the aisle because what someone drew has made you lose self-control, that's not 'being fun'. Unless everyone there has collectively agreed to be ironically stupid for laughs. I don't know how people can go from "don't talk during movies" to "just start screaming at the screen".

That's meaningfully different than what those Mexico videos are doing, which looks like everyone's agreed the thing to do is hoot and holler like it was a cage fight between real people, but it doesn't mean it's not incredibly immature.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you're a grown man and you're literally getting out of your theater seat and making an ass out of yourself in the aisle because what someone drew has made you lose self-control, that's not 'being fun'. Unless everyone there has collectively agreed to be ironically stupid for laughs. I don't know how people can go from "don't talk during movies" to "just start screaming at the screen".

That's meaningfully different than what those Mexico videos are doing, which looks like everyone's agreed the thing to do is hoot and holler like it was a cage fight between real people, but it doesn't mean it's not incredibly immature.
I mean, there's going overboard and making everybody miserable, than there's hype.

But I understand, I saw F in theaters and that was great, saw the naruto boruto movie in theaters but some asshole would literally scream so hard it fucked up the movie for me.

I take it it you feel it's the latter and people just have to chill the fuck out.