• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
There is a canon since no matter how hard you try, you can't fit GT with the events of Super. So you can't just say 'no canon' when two Dragon Ball shows don't remotely fit and one has the hand of the original author behind it.

So the whole 'there is no canon' was always nonsense.
This is a gross misunderstanding of what it means to be canon. You do realize it's possible for things in different continuties to all be equally canon, right? Canon isn't set to solely one continuity by definition. All the word "canon" means is "official body of work." On top of that the word "canon" was literally never used in an official capacity in Dragon Ball official material...until recently. By all intents and purposes there was no confirmed canon for the last 30+ years. That isn't to say there wasn't one, just that it was never officially confirmed by anything.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is a gross misunderstanding of what it means to be canon. You do realize it's possible for things in different continuties to all be equally canon, right? Canon isn't set to solely one continuity by definition. All the word "canon" means is "official body of work." On top of that the word "canon" was literally never used in an official capacity in Dragon Ball official material...until recently. By all intents and purposes there was no confirmed canon for the last 30+ years. That isn't to say there wasn't one, just that it was never officially confirmed by anything.

When people say 'canon', they usually mean main continuity, not side stories like Superman Red Son.

Also, 'canon' is whatever the original author wrote or the company behind it. I don't need someone to tell me if something Toriyama wrote is canon or not, unless he says 'this body or work isn't in the main continuity' like One Piece Film Gold.

Oct 27, 2017
I sorta don't like that it contradicts the manga bardock scene (makes it feel disconnected from the OG series to me is all)

Anything beyond that is just preference and stuff I guess and how seriously you take DB (for the record I think its fine to take it more seriously than others as long as no ones slinging insults and its all in good faith)

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
The actual meaning is just whatever work is considered official by the IP owners. What's more relevant to us is if something exists in the main continuity that we're concerned with (Which tends to be the continuity of the Super anime by default). That's usually what people mean when they talk about "canon", even me because I'm too lazy to mind this and basically everyone would know what I mean if I said canon.

Though yeah, that is indeed relatively muddy with the state of DB in particular right now.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I even bother.

Enjoy your fucking movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I even bother.

Enjoy your fucking movie.
Me when I try to explain why goten and trunks not being used is bullshit. Let it go bruh. I feel ya vent silently. Nobody "cares" until it's one of theirs let it rock. Piccolo is awesome one day(and by one day I mean when Toriyama let's somebody else that's hopefully a piccolo fan write)
As far as the movies shortcomings go I ain't even gonna start

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I stan Krillin and you don't hear me saying the movie is ruined because he's not in it lol

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
When people say 'canon', they usually mean main continuity, not side stories like Superman Red Son.

Also, 'canon' is whatever the original author wrote or the company behind it. I don't need someone to tell me if something Toriyama wrote is canon or not, unless he says 'this body or work isn't in the main continuity' like One Piece Film Gold.
Keep in mind that Akira Toriyama being the torchbearer of what's canon or not is entirely fan-made. He isn't the sole owner of Dragonball. However thankfully it does appear TOEI is giving him more control over it which is a good thing, but at the end of the day the series will continue with or without him.

What I'm saying is for something to truly be "canon" it has to be officially recognized as such. For the majority of the time there was no such official recognition...until now. When there was promotional material covering the "Dragon Ball canon" at this convention which used the manga to represent Super's role in the canon.

Oct 25, 2017
q4ZY8j5.jpg

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's been so long, it'll be fun to have the whole weekly event of a new episode, only this time with a better production and character designs.

Also Blizzard music video.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm real curious to see if the Shintani direction is carried over to the anime. I'm not necassarily crazy about Shintani in particular doing it, I'm more crazy about it not being Yammauro again lol.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's been avoiding spoilers like crazy, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

I go to Youtube, and suddenly there's a spoiler in my recommendations.
I go to Hachimaki, and tada there's a spoiler article.
I go to gematsu and wow whee there's a spoiler in the Xenoverse 2 dlc announcement.

This reminds of the time Steamboy hit theatres in Japan and Newtype and Animage were literally spoiling every frame (yes, frame, not scene) of the movie to the point I lost interest in it.

Edit: I did eventually watch Steamboy on dvd. Still eagerly awaiting the sequel whenever the hell it gets made.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wasn't sure about the song they've been using as the theme for the movie at first, but I love it now. Can't stop listening to it lol

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aw man. I could have sworn they said they were bringing this to IMAX. None of the imax theaters in my area have it on those screens.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So if the search on the DBS website lists a theater in my area, but the link goes to that theater's Fandango page and it doesn't list the movie, does that mean it's not showing it, or has yet to be updated?

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
There's still no plans for subbed showings in the US, right? What's the likely turn around time on the Blu-Ray release?
I just saw the tickets are on sale and see that it's only dubbed? MHA had both showings and it did just fine. Me and my friends watch this in Japanese and don't wanna see it dubbed. I think Japan tends to wait way longer to release DVD releases so yea.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the tickets are on sale and see that it's only dubbed? MHA had both showings and it did just fine. Me and my friends watch this in Japanese and don't wanna see it dubbed. I think Japan tends to wait way longer to release DVD releases so yea.
Maybe the sub showings didn't do as well as they hoped for MHA, or maybe they figure the DB dub is too popular. Not sure about Japan as a whole, but Toei takes about 5-6 months to release their movies on home video, not much worse than the 3-5 we see with Hollywood movies. F's home release was almost near simultaneous for North America and Japan, so we'll probably get it around May.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA

Yeah, really bummed about this. Not a fan of the dub personally, haven't watched an entire episode in an other language other than Japanese since Yo! Son Goku OVA came out. Really debating if I wanna go see it because I don't wanna wait for the blu-ray (like I did with RoF) but I also wanna see it in my preferred language for the first time...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
If that's true about no movie retelling, tweet is now deleted so that means it was likely a slip, then we should be getting a continuation confirmation soon. Definitely happy if true, I have been saying it for months that it doesn't need to happen. Having a huge event of a movie that is also canon with the series being in line with it is much better than what happened last time.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
WTF Cartoon Network LatAm

So as mentioned before, here in LatAm when they were about to air 108 they decided to instead rerun episodes since 98, which most of us assumed was done in order for 131 to be aired closer to the movie release date. Two weeks have gone by and monday they finally aired 108, nothing wrong happened.

Then comes Tuesday and they air both 109 and 110. Thing is, during 110's broadcast a lot of random cuts/blackouts occured PLUS the audio got messed up too and was behind in time. We think, hey maybe they'll fix it and air the correct version in the night's airing of the episodes, but NOPE instead we get the episodes after the Saiyaman one?? And now in today's morning airing they apparently aired episode 77...

On the good news I'm glad the dubbing team decided to use Ultra Instinto and left the japanese song intact instead of translating it

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The Japanese release of this has snuck up on me. I don't mind spoilers with Dragon Ball so hoping some shit gets put on YouTube to tide me over until the cinema release in the UK. Already booked!

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If that's true about no movie retelling, tweet is now deleted so that means it was likely a slip, then we should be getting a continuation confirmation soon. Definitely happy if true, I have been saying it for months that it doesn't need to happen. Having a huge event of a movie that is also canon with the series being in line with it is much better than what happened last time.
Next week is Jump Festa and Super has its own panel for the first time ever.

Oct 25, 2017
This is news to me and praise Kami.

Oct 25, 2017

I think this is the first time that Freeza's final form has ever wore a scouter. It can't be said enough how great these character designs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.