• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
somehow i knew that
they were aiming broly to become a neutral/good guy instead of just generic bad dude like old broly. Unlike frieza however, that actually makes sense with Broly's character, and i'm glad he has some friends, i have the feeling that isnt the last we will see of him

One of the best db movies for that alone honestly...
...with the retcons of bardock's history and goku's origins though, i guess we can clearly call super a multiverse branch off from the original series

I don't think Frieza was ever aimed to be neutral. He was portrayed as evil who only helps when its benefits him.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best db movies for that alone honestly...
...with the retcons of bardock's history and goku's origins though, i guess we can clearly call super a multiverse branch off from the original series
No.
The old Bardock Special was never part of the manga, it was always an anime only story. Minus has been around since before Super and it's Toriyamas version of events. The only thing that the original manga showed was that Freeza saw a battle damaged Bardock, and the movie still has a battle damaged Bardock in space trying to stop Freeza's blast. One can just assume that Freeza saw him, even though he never acknowledges him in the movie.
I don't think Frieza was ever aimed to be neutral. He was portrayed as evil who only helps when its benefits him.
Yep.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

If Goku just lets him go off and do whatever garbage he wants and have him occasionally help the good guys out(even if its "for his own benefit") then yes, he is still considered neutral in my book with Akira toriyama doing his usual schtick. Although to be fair, i am probably just biased because i thought bringing Frieza back as a villain after him having been hyped as the ultimate evil and having been cleanly defeated in that manner after years of tyrannical rule was just a horrible idea to begin with and undercut the whole frieza arc in DBZ. And bringing him back to life and allowing him to just continue doing what he was doing before Goku and Trunks defeated him was even worse.

The broly stuff i like though.

The old Bardock Special was never part of the manga, it was always an anime only story. Minus has been around since before Super and it's Toriyamas version of events. The only thing that the original manga showed was that Freeza saw a battle damaged Bardock, and the movie still has a battle damaged Bardock in space trying to stop Freeza's blast. One can just assume that Freeza saw him, even though he never acknowledges him in the movie.

Bardock was originally shown in the anime, the manga actually retroactively added him with that panel, which to me says that bardock's anime original backstory is the original backstory until toriyama felt the need to ruin it and add his own nonsense to it later, especially when he allowed that "goes back in time and becomes a super saiyan and fights against frieza's ancestor" stupidity

And yes, i am aware that the minus short story was around before Super with "Toriyama's version of events", but it was still after the general timeframe of Yo Goku and his friends return in 2008, in the era of him trying to rejuvenate the DB franchise after the 20+ year old hiatus along with Toei.

I swear this guy has done more to DB than Geoge lucas in retconning decades old established narrative. Being "the original author" doesnt really mean much to me.

I wished they would just leave it alone, it was good how it was without cynically bringing the franchise back to exploit people's nostalgia for dollar signs, for what i personally have found is far inferior quality. But considering that that is impossible now, Broly's canon appearance is actually pretty interesting.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Goku just lets him go off and do whatever garbage he wants and have him occasionally help the good guys out(even if its "for his own benefit") then yes, he is still considered neutral in my book with Akira toriyama doing his usual schtick. Although to be fair, i am probably just biased because i thought bringing Frieza back as a villain after him having been hyped as the ultimate evil and having been cleanly defeated in that manner after years of tyrannical rule was just a horrible idea to begin with and undercut the whole frieza arc in DBZ. And bringing him back to life and allowing him to just continue doing what he was doing before Goku and Trunks defeated him was even worse.

Bardock was originally shown in the anime, the manga actually retroactively added him with that panel, which to me says that bardock's anime original backstory is the original backstory until toriyama felt the need to ruin it and add his own nonsense to it later, especially when he allowed that "goes back in time and becomes a super saiyan and fights against frieza's ancestor" stupidity

And yes, i am aware that the minus short story was around before Super with "Toriyama's version of events", but it was still after the general timeframe of Yo Goku and his friends return in 2008, in the era of him trying to rejuvenate the DB franchise after the 20+ year old hiatus along with Toei.

I swear this guy has done more to DB than Geoge lucas in retconning decades old established narrative. Being "the original author" doesnt really mean much to me.

I wished they would just leave it alone, it was good how it was without cynically bringing the franchise back to exploit people's nostalgia for dollar signs, for what i personally have found is far inferior quality. But considering that that is impossible now, Broly's canon appearance is actually pretty interesting.

I don't know man.

Killing someone's dad just because you want to be taller seems pretty evil to me.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think u know what nuetral means

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Goku is a very out of sight, out of mind person. As long as Freeza is not a threat to him or his friends in the moment he doesn't really care. Freeza is still very much a villain, and as someone else mentioned the dude casually kills someone just because he wants to be taller. There is nothing neutral about Freeza, even the end of the movie has him conquering another planet.
Freeza also didn't help the cast in this movie, he wanted Broly to kill them. He only fought Broly himself because Broly came at him.

I know that Bardock was added to the manga after the special, that's why I said the special was never part of the manga. The only part of the special that was explicitly part of Toriyama's own continuity was battle damaged Bardock in Space, which made its way into this movie.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't think u know what nuetral means

neutral to the protagonists. if they are actively not putting him down because he is a bad dude than he is neutral. Its fairly simple. what they get allow him to get away with just makes me laugh. Like Naruto and orochimaru...toriyama dont want to be kishi's level of bad a writer, but that's the echo i get

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
neutral to the protagonists. if they are actively not putting him down because he is a bad dude than he is neutral. Its fairly simple. what they get allow him to get away with just makes me laugh. Like Naruto and orochimaru...toriyama dont want to be kishi's level of bad a writer, but that's the echo i get
Vegeta says that Freeza is a reason he wants to get stronger because he knows that Freeza will be a big threat in the future.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blame toei/the higher ups for not figuring out a simultaneous worldwide release in 2018

this shit is bound to happen, unfortunately.
This sucks. These people have no fucking clue.

There was so much freaking hype after ToP and Ultra Instinct that the fanbase would have walked on glass to watch the goddamn movie in the theatres.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. These people have no fucking clue.

There was so much freaking hype after ToP and Ultra Instinct that the fanbase would have walked on glass to watch the goddamn movie in the theatres.

Yup, it's baffling.

and btw everyone a cam rip of the full movie is now floating out there.... so yeah, expect youtube thumbnails of every single scene

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's the closest we've ever gotten between Japanese and Western release, it's only 1 month.
I don't know if December would have been the best time for this movie in the west.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's the closest we've ever gotten between Japanese and Western release, it's only 1 month.
I don't know if December would have been the best time for this movie in the west.

It needs to be worldwide simultaneous release in 2018. There's no excuse, just make it happen. They're leaving money on the table now that there's going to be leaked camrips of the film everywhere in December, and probably subtitled by next week.

Also December is fine, kids are off school, and movies do especially well at the box office. There's competition, but given the fact that the movie is having a limited release anyways, I don't think they intend to compete with Spider-Man, Aquaman or whatever else.

If December is a bad month... then release it worldwide in a better month. They need to figure this shit out.

Simultaneous release will happen next time a movie is released, probably. Like you said, the gap between Japan and the West keeps getting smaller and smaller with each release.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be worldwide simultaneous release in 2018. There's no excuse, just make it happen. They're leaving money on the table now that there's going to be leaked camrips of the film everywhere in December, and probably subtitled by next week.

Also December is fine, kids are off school, and movies do especially well at the box office. There's competition, but given the fact that the movie is having a limited release anyways, I don't think they intend to compete with Spider-Man, Aquaman or whatever else.

If December is a bad month... then release it worldwide in a better month. They need to figure this shit out.

Simultaneous release will happen next time a movie is released, probably. Like you said, the gap between Japan and the West keeps getting smaller and smaller with each release.
Movies releasing at different times in different countries is a normal thing....

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I dont see how its so difficult to release a movie simultaneously. Work harder. I want to see this shit now.

With that said... Just bought my tickets. Yonge Dundas cineplex in Toronto.

First day was sold out! Got it for the 17th.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Movies releasing at different times in different countries is a normal thing....

and cartoons releasing at different times in different countries was a normal thing... until simulcasts became a thing, and now we get subtitled Japanese anime worldwide immediately after it airs in Japan. now it's the expectation.

as evidenced by super's simulcast, clearly toei is just slow at this shit. they'll catch up... eventually.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
and cartoons releasing at different times in different countries was a normal thing... until simulcasts became a thing, and now we get subtitled Japanese anime worldwide immediately after it airs in Japan. now it's the expectation.

as evidenced by super's simulcast, clearly toei is just slow at this shit. they'll catch up... eventually.
This isn't just an anime thing, it's a movie thing in general.

Oct 25, 2017
One month to go.

I'm just glad we don't have to wait nearly as long for the Super dub to happen. That was the worst and keep in mind we didn't get an official simulcast going until halfway through the Goku Black Arc.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for Jump Festa

and I'm ready for El Chivo
1544981053623smfnt.png

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Damn, just checked and Broly doesn't come to a theater near me except for one like 2-3 hours away :(

Guess I got to wait for the bluray release.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
As I thought, the above numbers weren't accurate.
Dragon Ball Super Broly took in 9.3 million dollars in its first 3 days.

Best opening in series history.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. While I liked it, it felt rushed, especially the fighting towards the end. I feel like it could have benefited from an additional 15 min or so.

Oct 25, 2017
I caved and watched it.

And for all the complaining I found it even better than Battle of Gods. It just goes to show how reading a basic plot summary isn't anyway to judge anything. The direction was top class and that made all the difference.

Also darn this movie for making me give a damn about Broly, but Toriyama somehow managed to do it. Lets all just pretend the original version doesn't exist after this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.