• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing Gohan has done since the cell saga is become a meme...let that sink in

That's an entirely subjective opinion that is clearly coloured by your bias against the character with no basis in hard fact...let that sink in

I'm not attacking you but this is how that statement sounds flipped, its a little bit disingenuous and doesn't make for productive discussion

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
That's an entirely subjective opinion that is clearly coloured by your bias against the character with no basis in hard fact...let that sink in

I'm not attacking you but this is how that statement sounds flipped, its a little bit disingenuous and doesn't make for productive discussion
Oh it wasnt meant to be discussion. It was meant to be a joke.
Edit: sorry about the messy post

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Era of "Hercule" finally over!?
Dw68hgFWoAAYKwE.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The movie can't come soon enough, is it weird I'm most excited for Broly and Freeza? That's a sentence I never thought I'd say until DB came back

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Since I haven't seen broly yet I'm gonna have to say Kefla vs Goku for now

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Every other fusion fight is one sided so Vegetto vs Zamasu wins by default for me.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Super Broly movie is better viewed on Imax or no?
Is it actually a better experience?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know there's already the other thread, but cross-posting in here for people who might just go straight to Watched Threads.

Thread

Edit: The tweet was deleted, hmm.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
To those seeing DBS Broly this week, were most of the showings at your theater sold out or close to it? Every showing for today at my theater is packed. Checked other theaters nearby and it's no different. My theater just added 3 additional showings for Friday because the rest were full.

I got 2 tickets for Thursday at least for me and my brother, but the hype is real. The last time I went to a packed showing like this was The Force Awakens.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
here's something cool, an english blizzard cover and the lead singer is Dawn Bennett the english VA for Kale

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Characters don't write themselves or write what they do to other characters, come on. Sabat is being completely ignorant. Videl became a non-character after Gohan and co. left to find Babidi because Toriyama didn't have anything else for her to do, that's all there is to it. It's up to TORIYAMA to write a better Videl. She's not a housewife because Gohan somehow told her to be. She is one because that's the trope Toriyama loves writing for female characters including Chi-Chi and 18 previously.

This isn't really true. As a writer myself, have been in classes with other writers, and have interviews from other professional writers, characters do write themselves at a certain point. Which is why when you make a character do something they wouldn't normally do, readers recognizes it and call it out, hence the term OOC. For example, if Gohan suddenly went on a murder spree and became the next Frieza, no matter how justification the writers try to give or how it's presented, it would still be a major OOC moment and something Gohan would simply never do. Comic book writers do this all the time, which in extreme cases is called character derailment.

So Sabat's comment isn't really ignorant on the bases that characters write themselves. What he is wrong about is that Gohan changed Vidal who was already on that direction after she got her shit kicked in. But I don't think this Twitter was meant to be serious either.

"I don't think Goku is fun without Vegeta."

That's his opinion. While I don't agree, I see nothing wrong with him having it.

There's a reason I don't post much here anymore.

Oh please. He was treated plenty well in the Universe Survival arc. He took up a lead-type role much better than the Boo arc ever did - he helped move the plot, gained some good development and a power-up that wasn't wasted a handful of chapters/episodes later.

And if you want to go even further, he double KO'd Kafla in the manga.

That really isn't saying much since his leadership in the Buu Saga was at best an one. Going up to a three is a jump, but nothing major. Gohan as a leader in the TOP was pretty bad to mediocre outside of his fight with Dypso. And a lot of Gohan's development happened before the tournament itself, aka the main event. So the episodes before build him up, but Gohan didn't really performed the way the hype presented it early on. Better than the Buu Saga, but again, not saying much.

As for Gohan KOing Kelfa in the manga, that would be cool if Kelfa herself wasn't butchered and the fight wasn't mostly off-scene, making the whole thing feel limp.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It is true that we're blaming bad writing on the characters' actions in the show as if the characters are real people, lol. That's very odd.

Because in fiction everything is writing. And if that's the case, no real discussion can be had since everything would literally be just 'writing and plot'. Why do Gohan like studying, writing/ Why does Gohan have so much hidden power, writing. Why was Gohan made captain despite having no experience leading anyone, writing.

That and 'bad writing' is really short term around here for 'writing I don't like', especially with Vidal who character development changes depending on what country you're from.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Because in fiction everything is writing. And if that's the case, no real discussion can be had since everything would literally be just 'writing and plot'. Why do Gohan like studying, writing/ Why does Gohan have so much hidden power, writing. Why was Gohan made captain despite having no experience leading anyone, writing.

That and 'bad writing' is really short term around here for 'writing I don't like', especially with Vidal who character development changes depending on what country you're from.
This is the hottest take I've seen about critique in years. You honestly believe people shouldn't call out bad writing? Good lord.

You're acting like there can't be discussion about bad writing and plot or something, despite there being an entire market for it and by and large are what people are discussing when they're trying to critique a series. This isn't a new or out there concept.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is the hottest take I've seen about critique in years. You honestly believe people shouldn't call out bad writing? Good lord.

You're acting like there can't be discussion about bad writing and plot or something, despite there being an entire market for it and by and large are what people are discussing when they're trying to critique a series. This isn't a new or out there concept.

That isn't what I said at all. I said:

"That and 'bad writing' is really short term around here for 'writing I don't like'"

Which is true. People around here and the Dragon Ball fandom have used 'bad writer' for short term for 'writing I don't like'. There is badly written stuff in Dragon Ball, but Videl isn't really one of them, imo, since you can see the reasoning why she changed even if you don't agree with it. That and the culture of the west have a thing about house wives.

Wouldn't say I dislike him but he is very boring to me so I'm apathetic.

I like Gohan outside of 'Ultimate Gohan', who is Gohan with his personally stripped from him and turned into a generic badass who then bungled the one job he had. Super's Ultimate Gohan a little better, but not by a lot.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
JUST found out about Broly in IMAX, I'm hurt. Closest theater doesn't have great seats remaining.

It's all good, just seeing my first Dragon Ball film in theaters is exciting enough.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The critic reviews on RT are pretty funny to read.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly is the 20th film in the series, and dedicated fans (of which there are plenty, of the kind that will wonder if we truly get to see a glimpse of Goku in "Ultra Instinct" state) will undoubtedly be excited. Yet for newcomers what should have been a jumping-on point is like smashing into a brick wall. Not sure of what's a dragon ball, or where's Vegeta, or what's the difference between Planet Vegeta, King Vegeta, and Prince Vegeta IV,
or why exactly archvillain Frieza wants to be exactly five centimeters taller?
There are no signposts here, and every time you think you might be getting thrown a narrative bone, forget it.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
To those seeing DBS Broly this week, were most of the showings at your theater sold out or close to it? Every showing for today at my theater is packed. Checked other theaters nearby and it's no different. My theater just added 3 additional showings for Friday because the rest were full.

I got 2 tickets for Thursday at least for me and my brother, but the hype is real. The last time I went to a packed showing like this was The Force Awakens.
I was barely able to score tickets for tomorrow. Our theaters are only showing it once a day though. I felt like I had a way easier time seeing BoG and RoF. I was under the impression this was going to be a wider release.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing it tonight too -- super pumped!

I have a question for anyone in the know, is there anything after the credits? I'm going with people who aren't as into DB as my girlfriend and I are and I need to tell them if we're staying until the credits are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.