• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
I hope that one day Dragon Ball will consistently have villains on the level of Broly (Super), Cell and Frieza in terms of characterization. A route I'd like to see them explore would act as a point of reflection for Goku and build upon Whis and Vegeta's warning regarding his penchant for mercy and second chances. Create a villain that's the survivor of Frieza's tyranny throughout the universe following his restoration at the end of ToP/or Broly. They, along with other characters, journey throughout the stars hunting Frieza and his force...which brings them into conflict with Broly because Cheelai and Lemo are targets of theirs as well. However, their ultimate target is Goku for his role in reviving Frieza (regardless of the universal stakes) and the destruction of the Earth, so Goku can know the pain that they carry. The band traveling with the primary antagonist means the involvement of other (powerful) Z fighters.

Next, find some way to incorporate Cooler into canon and with him possessing more power than his younger sibling. He's investigating what happened to his brother following his disappearance on Earth. Re-write him to actually begrudgingly care for his little brother and is also seeking the dragon balls to revive King Cold and learn of Frieza's whereabouts/what happened to him.

Following that, I'd like to see them build upon the duality theme that's been ongoing in Super. A villain fashioned from the chaos of reality's birth, a foil to the Grand Priest and realty's order would be cool. They'd be a being imprisoned within the deepest levels of Hell and would be freed by sole ancient cult that worships them as a messiah. Maybe they could be the penultimate big bad in Super that ends the series.

Finally, I'd like to see the return of the original Super Saiyan/SS God. His/Her return is achieved by Goku receiving the universal dragon balls at the culmination of the last battle and wishing for their return so he can do battle with them. His wish is granted and regardless of Goku's power gains from sparring with Broly and his complete mastery of Ultra Instinct he is beaten by the character's base form. Though Goku loses, the OG is impressed with his efforts and refusal to admit defeat and offers to train Goku if he wishes it. Goku accepts the offer after mulling that Goten is now an adult and that ChiChi doesn't cook as often as she once did.

Moro seems like an ok villain so far and his design is a breath of fresh air but I want characters with some depth to them and have a reason for being.
As far as depth or characterization goes, I'd say Broly, Jiren, Zamasu and Goku Black all had that in different forms.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
regardless of how you feel about his personality, Jiren was a deeper antagonist than Cell was

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What!? Jiren was deeper than Cell? Nah, their motivations were both lacking compared to others but I thought Jiren lacked a personality entirely.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Jiren gets some credit for not being another generic evil guy entirely. He was the first main antagonist that wasn't actually a villain.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cell was acting in accordance with his programmed directives but he still acted on his own autonomy. He actually had desires and wanted to test his perfected body against the man who he was designed to kill. He went back in time to accomplish said goal. Regardless of the timeline, he still attempts to make his way to the past to achieve perfection. He's akin to an amalgam of Goku and Frieza. He already possess more substance than Jiren. He could've remained in the future and been king, much like Goku Black but he sought challengers in another time stream.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Jiren is a socially awkward recluse whose past trauma caused him to believe that power was the only thing he could trust and therefore did everything he could to obtain it and surround himself with it.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Horror movie villain Cell is cool. The other versions of him are super boring, with only Super Buu being worse.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Dang I was watching some fighter Z cutscenes again because I can across a Jump Force video called "Vegeta ROASTS Deku" and it reminded me of them.

Man I hope FighterZ 2 happens so I can watch hours more of interactions and story stuff with those characters. I forgot how weak their portrayal of Goku is though, for everything else they do so well. He's way too unserious too much of the time.

Last edited:

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
What!? Jiren was deeper than Cell? Nah, their motivations were both lacking compared to others but I thought Jiren lacked a personality entirely.
Jiren legit has more depth than Cell lol. You can prefer Cell, but Cell definitely did not have more depth.

Jiren lacked a personality? His personality, and why he is the way he is was made pretty clear. Hell Morlas already gave a brief rundown of who he is. Plenty of reasons to hate him, but saying he has no personality is factually incorrect.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
When you irrelevant, you irrelevant. I've experienced it lol. Not being a fan of any character for a long period of time does that lol

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
time2kill.PNG

Plot hit Buu hard huh

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Nah. Manga Cell is dry as fuck as a character. Anime at least gives him a good voice in ENG and JP, though I find him boring as fuck there too.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
That makes no sense. He has a developed personality that was depicted with some depth in the show, at least for something like DB. Cell was literally just 'I want to be perfect and fight the strongest, also I like killing humans'. He had nothing beyond that in terms of characterization. Jiren was leagues beyond him because he actually struggled with conflicting emotions and displayed some sense of value and ideology. Cell was an automaton, essentially.

If Cell had actually reached a point where he was like 'you know now that I'm perfect, maybe there's more to life than what I know or understand', then maybe we could actually ascribe some depth to him as a character. Jiren actually comes to see what lies beyond strength, through his encounters with Goku and friends.

None of the Z villains had any motivations beyond just being evil. Fat Buu is probably the only one that was able to develop into anything more than what he started out as. Aside from Vegeta, of course.

Last edited:

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
FighterZ Cell is best Cell.

and he's totally coming back someday
It's cetainly a possibility. Though I'll enjoy the time Cell isn't around andnappreciate how Japan gives much less of a fuck about him than the West does.

That makes no sense. He has a developed personality that was depicted with some depth in the show, at least for something like DB. Cell was literally just 'I want to be perfect and fight the strongest, also I like killing humans'. He had nothing beyond that in terms of characterization. Jiren was leagues beyond him because he actually struggled with conflicting emotions and displayed some sense of value and ideology. Cell was an automaton, essentially.

If Cell had actually reached a point where he was like 'you know now that I'm perfect, maybe there's more to life than what I know or understand', then maybe we could actually ascribe some depth to him as a character. Jiren actually comes to see what lies beyond strength, through his encounters with Goku and friends.

None of the Z villains had any motivations beyond just being evil. Fat Buu is probably the only one that was able to develop into anything more than what he started out as. Aside from Vegeta, of course.
Bingo!

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jiren is a good character.

Sorry for being controversial
Jiren himself is a great character, he had everything needed to be a fantastic antagonist. Then his backstory happened and he tried to blow up the audience and he took a massive nosedive in the writing department.

Writing wise he's terrible, but Toriyama's character, Jiren, is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.