• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
buu.PNG

look at how ashamed he is :(

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most generic is Smart Super Buu, who is basically just discount Perfect Cell, an already bland villain.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Regardless of how painfully dull semi and perfect cell were.

Imperfect cell was still 50% oppurtunistic coward and 50% horror movie monster.

Buu was and still technically is a literal petulant child that ran the gamut of bad behaved children

That's all way more compelling and uncommon character types than Strong guy who believes only in being strong.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Jiren worked for me as just the big brick wall because they really sold that from the special onwards. The only time I felt like they really messed up was with his backstory. It just wasn't needed, and just vaguely hinting at it would have been enough (and they do just that later on so it's even more baffling). I did like him more in the final few episodes though.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
The question isn't whether Cell is coming back. Its whether or not Gohan will be involved in the storyline or will Toriyama contrive to ignore the guy who took down Cell the first time to make it the Goku and Vegeta show again?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
The question isn't whether Cell is coming back. Its whether or not Gohan will be involved in the storyline or will Toriyama contrive to ignore the guy who took down Cell the first time to make it the Goku and Vegeta show again?
Cell will be revived go to challenge Gohan as Cell Dorado, only for Jiren to show up and disintegrate him in one shot

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
I liked Jiren in 109-111 and 129-131. Didn't care for him in the other episodes. I also don't think he was well written at all for the most part either, but that means very little to me as mowt Characters aren't well written imo.

As for the antagonist thing, mentioning Imperfect Cell means little when Cell ends up largely a less charismatic Freeza. In Dragon Ball, you can't get more generic than Perfect Cell or Super Boo once he started absorbing people.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
AT clearly has no interest in using Gohan currently. It really just comes down to if he has interest in using a character. He just seemed to lose interest in Gohan in the Boo saga and never developed much interest in him since

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best fights in the series against Goku.
All of Imperfect Cell.
Gave Vegeta his second pride beat down of the saga.
GOAT theme.
Awesome personality.

The disrespect.

We don't talk about Semi Perfect Cell.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
One of the best fights in the series against Goku.
All of Imperfect Cell.
Gave Vegeta his second pride beat down of the saga.
GOAT theme.
Awesome personality.

The disrespect.

We don't talk about Semi Perfect Cell.
He did get a good fight with Goku agreed. Of course, damn near every major antagonist gets a good fight with Goku. Goku vs Piccolo/Freeza/Jiren/Cell/Vegeta/Daimao/Tenshinhan, all damn good fights.

Imperfect Cell was cool as hell, he just gets drastically worse from there.

Personality isn't anything to write home about imo.

His beatdown of Vegeta was alright, but I found myself far more entertained with 18 deflating his ego.

Theme is ok. I prefer Boo's theme to his. I also prefer Beerus and Jiren's themes.

I like Jiren disrespect more personally. Black could dabble in it too.

Agreed there as well. Semi was Uber lame.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
AT clearly has no interest in using Gohan currently. It really just comes down to if he has interest in using a character. He just seemed to lose interest in Gohan in the Boo saga and never developed much interest in him since

That's a crying shame because Gohan is one of the franchise's most popular characters.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of Fighter Z again, I can't stress how much I love how Cell and Frieza bounce off of each other. Cell wasn't quite as trolly in the show (though he has his moments), I think they focused more on that side of him make him stand out a bit more from Frieza. And they are similar, but it's interesting to see for me because I think it makes the differences that they do have easier to pick out. (And even just the way they talk gives them a very distinct flair of douchebaggery)I think ArcSys did super well with Cell. I don't think it feels like an unnatural progression for him, given the circumstances of being forced to interact and be alongside more people, it seems like how he would act. Since he has everyones cell's, he feels like he knows everyone in and out, and him being a combination of them all +more long with that is good reason to fuel his tendencies to condescend on people like he does, and not take things quite as offensively as Frieza.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's Cell.
Why does everyone skip over how boring Cell is

Norio Wakamoto.

Aside from that, i guess Cell does have a really creepy first form and the mystery surrounding him that lasts for 2 chapters, which gives him a easy win over Jiren.
Problem with Cell is that his second form and his final form makes him sort of bland and he basically becomes a less interesting Freeza. Still miles better than Jiren.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Regardless of how painfully dull semi and perfect cell were.

Imperfect cell was still 50% oppurtunistic coward and 50% horror movie monster.

Buu was and still technically is a literal petulant child that ran the gamut of bad behaved children

That's all way more compelling and uncommon character types than Strong guy who believes only in being strong.
Jiren has reasons behind his belief. He has emotions tied to those reasons. He can oppose the characters not only through fighting but through belief.This alone is far more interesting than anything you've described with Cell or Buu who have no reasons for anything they do, they're just the way they are because that's the way they are. Nothing changes for them through their encounters with Goku or other fighters. They also aren't way more uncommon character types at all, you're even saying so your self really when you call cell a movie monster and Buu a childlike monster. Those aren't compelling at all compared to how Jiren was depicted.

Last edited:

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
That's a crying shame because Gohan is one of the franchise's most popular characters.
He is. But hell, so are Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, and Majin Boo. Like he's been using Roshi more nowadays like in RoF and ToP cause he probs gained interest in using him again. But when you see Gohan in both versions of the ToP, it becomes clear that the real big interest to use him is coming from Toei.

Personally, I give little fucks about Gohan as he's boring as shit to me. But it really is bad the way he was just tossed away and for the most part that's it

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Cell also has reasons behind his beliefs 👀
He has programming. I'm not even sure you could call his need to be perfect and fight a belief so much as a program or directive that he never overcomes. It's ironically what sets him apart from Gero's other artificial beings. The androids all develop reasons for being outside of what they were made for, whether that's family or caring for nature. Cell was the perfect creation of Gero's not because he was the most evolved intelligence but because he never broke free of the directives that defined and ultimately control him. The irony is compounded through his personality and mannerisms which care all designed to make him appear highly intelligent but mask what is essentially an automaton made to kill.

Last edited:

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Norio Wakamoto.

Aside from that, i guess Cell does have a really creepy first form and the mystery surrounding him that lasts for 2 chapters, which gives him a easy win over Jiren.
Problem with Cell is that his second form and his final form makes him sort of bland and he basically becomes a less interesting Freeza. Still miles better than Jiren.
If we just count Imperfect Cell, easily. Semi and Perfect though? Nah, he's hella worse.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Imperfect cell worked because he was creepy and cunning. Unfortunately in a series like dragon ball that has a limited shelf life.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
He has programming. I'm not even sure you could call his need to be perfect and fight a belief so much as a program or directive that he never overcomes.

Having everyone's cells and being in his complete form is a valid reason though. It's why I feel like he's even more smug than Frieza and less quick to anger with talk. He has a stronger reason to feel superiority over everyone with less insecurity. His downfall was wanting so bad to "prove" he's the best fighter under any circumstance that he kept intentionally giving them chances to be stronger, like how he intentionally wants to make Gohan mad so he can use his "hidden power". Similarly how Vegeta did when he let Cell absorb 18.

Edit: Or maybe not "wanting to prove it so bad", but just being so confident and having such security that he felt it didn't matter. I think this topic of "insecurity" highlights the biggest difference between Cell and Frieza.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Saying 'imperfect cell was a scary monster so he's miles above Jiren' doesn't actually make him a better character.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Saying 'imperfect cell was a scary monster so he's miles above Jiren' doesn't actually make him a better character.
He was more entertaining cause he was like a horror movie monster imo. But the logic Jiren is more generic because Imperfect Cell is a thing is laughable when Cell (and Super Boo) end up as the most generic characters in this series which is saying something since none of these characters are all that unique.

How the character started is utterly irrelevant when this is how he ends up. Regardless, it's DB, you don't need much to like really any character in this series. Damn near every antagonist in this series major or supporting are arrogant to a fault and many seem to just be evil just to be evil.

These characters aren't meant to have much depth. And this series certainly isn't known for its stellar writing of the characters either

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
The things you gotta do when you have a lower power level in dragon ball smh
I wish all the characters would try that. On a normal basis you've got Goku, Kuririn, Roshi, Hit, 17, and Piccolo who would use tactics or cunning or strategy to try and fight opponents. But due to the nature of this series, this will hardly ever work. Doesn't help that most characters have the same damn techniques too.

That's one of the reasons I find Vegeta and Gohan boring. Peeps can enjoy Gohan relying on raw power, but it means nothing to me when most characters already do that.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I mean that's subjetcive.

Better character =/= deeper character
Right, but the premise being tossed about is the quality of being generic, which Involves depth, or is at least implied to. That's more what I'm arguing against. If people find imperfect Cell or even perfect more fun or whatever, that's cool.

In terms of generic-ness, all of the antagonists fulfill generic archetypes. Jiren is just the one with the most complexity of them.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Imperfect Cell is. The others aren't. Though the only thing I wouldn't debate with people is how well written a character is. As I find most of these not written particularly well

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Y'know It's not always about who's the deeper, better written character anyway. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy a good ego clash.

Status
Not open for further replies.