• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
As disappointed as I am, it would make sense to announce things after the movie hits international audiences. Carry the momentum forward with it.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Yeah, it comes off as a little depressing, like he still loves his baby but he's forced into something he doesn't really like. You can see he kinda gets comfort from being involved with the narrative and doing designs but he just doesn't care about the action one bit.
yeah it's a series trapped by its popularity really.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
A lot of not-fighting and too little emphasis on Goku?

Namek and Android arcs didn't have much fighting? Really?

There isn't a period on Namek where you could watch four consecutive episodes without someone getting into a fight. The over emphasis on Goku in Super has been a source of complaint and led to the Tournament of Power.

The only real lull in the Android saga was the period after 18 embarrassed Vegeta and then Piccolo fought 17. Although I can't remember if Piccolo had a skirmish with Imperfect Cell before that

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Namek and Android arcs didn't have much fighting? Really?

There isn't a period on Namek where you could watch four consecutive episodes without someone getting into a fight. The over emphasis on Goku in Super has been a source of complaint and led to the Tournament of Power.

The only real lull in the Android saga was the period after 18 embarrassed Vegeta and then Piccolo fought 17. Although I can't remember if Piccolo had a skirmish with Imperfect Cell before that
I said a lot of not-fighting, not "not a lot of fighting".

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It's only the first arc that doesn't have a lot of fighting. You can tell Toriyama would love do something like that. I think his Jaco manga would have already been adapted into an anime if it had more typical DB fights in it

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That Toriyama quote is absolutely beautiful.

-openly and politely calls adult dragon ball fans manchildren (he's right tho)
-says that dragon ball is "nothing but fighting"
-A little bit of casual sexism thrown in

Oh+my+sides+blew+off+_f350c1cd067c560578cda0cab9aee4eb.png

Toriyama never change my man.

EDIT:Does anyone else get the impression that the new work he's talking about isn't Dragonball related?

His next project is Dr Slump Ultra. Arale will go Ultra Instinct 5 EX.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well, the merchandising sales actually grew in spite of no anime airing, so they're likely in no hurry for the next season.

Probably because they still haven't finished merchandising the stuff from the TOP. Like where is the God of Destruction Toppo toys? We just got one card in Dokkan Battle and he's a support card. Evolved Vegeta just started to toys recently and barely get anything from Super Saiyan 2 Kale.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I said a lot of not-fighting, not "not a lot of fighting".

The Future Trunks Saga had several episodes that didn't have fighting. One episode was literally just the cast sitting down discussion the plot of the arc. Goku was also not the main focused of the Champa and the Future Saga. Vegeta took most of the spotlight in the Champa Saga and Future Trunks was the main star of his own arc. Goku's role in the Future Trunks Saga was similar to the Android Saga, namely him being one of the main cause why the arc even happened.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
BoG and FT arc have a ton of not fighting moments, they're just really short arcs.

I mean yeah, we might not see an expansive arc like Frieza/ Android that's 60+ episodes, but that's honestly for the better, looking at reactions to the ToP overall when it was a 60+ episode ordeal, but Super still tries to have plot heavy moments/ arcs.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
BoG and FT arc have a ton of not fighting moments, they're just really short arcs.

I mean yeah, we might not see an expansive arc like Frieza/ Android that's 60+ episodes, but that's honestly for the better, looking at reactions to the ToP overall when it was a 60+ episode ordeal, but Super still tries to have plot heavy moments/ arcs.

Honestly, the Android/Cell Saga had no business being 60+ episodes. Also, the Universal Survival Saga was around 55 episodes with 33 or so being the actual TOP.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, I told myself that don't want to watch scenes from the cam rip of the new Broly movie. But now I just couldn't resist when youtube recommended me the full movie. So I just watched a few minutes of the beginning, the early Vegeta vs Broly fight. Holy freaking shit, those animations. That crazy sense and delivery of speed and power is next level Dragon Ball. And that's only the beginning, lol.

Fuck my social anxiety, I'm going to the cinema on day 1!

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find a general Dragon Ball OT thread so I thought this might be the next best place to ask. Was there ever a Blu-ray version of the original Dragon Ball anime? I know we've only ever had the DVDs from Funimation but was curious about the possibility down the line. Was thinking about picking up the current DVD sets that are out, but having it on Blu-ray would be great.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only the first arc that doesn't have a lot of fighting. You can tell Toriyama would love do something like that. I think his Jaco manga would have already been adapted into an anime if it had more typical DB fights in it
I really thought they were gonna adapt it into a 3 parter or something when they brought Jaco into the show to better explain him.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Readapting the Broly arc will actually give them time to develop a story for starters, and Moro is the next canon arc even if it's only manga-only right now.
If the show comes back by July (April still seems likely) it'll be too soon to adapt Broly. Jaco isn't super relevant overall and taking a break from the series right after it came back for Jaco would be strange, that's something better suited to a TV special.
The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is likely Toyo filler that won't come to the anime, especially if the anime is coming in the first half of 2019 as planning would have been done before the arc even started in the manga.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
If the show comes back by July (April still seems likely) it'll be too soon to adapt Broly. Jaco isn't super relevant overall and taking a break from the series right after it came back for Jaco would be strange, that's something better suited to a TV special.
The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is likely Toyo filler that won't come to the anime, especially if the anime is coming in the first half of 2019 as planning would have been done before the arc even started in the manga.
It isn't Toyotaro "filler", Toriyama is actually working on it with Toyotaro. They even held a panel at Jump Festa with Nozawa and the other VAs talking about it. It's canon, period. It doesn't matter what you think about the quality of the manga, that doesn't affect it's status. Axing it from any future Super anime continuation would make no sense.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't Toyotaro "filler", Toriyama is actually working on it with Toyotaro. They even held a panel at Jump Festa with Nozawa and the other VAs talking about it. It's canon, period. It doesn't matter what you think about the quality of the manga, that doesn't affect it's status. Axing it from any future Super anime continuation would make no sense.
It's been described as Toyotaro's arc, Toriyama is involved, but with how little they advertised that and with how little fanfare there was to the start of the arc it's very unlikely that he's very involved.
The thing at the panel doesn't mean anything, they talked about it right after Heroes of all things.
It's canon to the manga, just as Copy Vegeta is canon to the anime.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It's been described as Toyotaro's arc, Toriyama is involved, but with how little they advertised that and with how little fanfare there was to the start of the arc it's very unlikely that he's very involved.
I mean Toyotaro might be doing more storywork than he's done in the past, but that doesn't mean Toriyama's contribution is "very little." It was literally announced and featured at Jump Festa as Toriyama and Toyotaro's co-creation. This isn't a case with GT where Toriyama is just being credited as series creator and that's it, this is still a collaborative effort here.

Eitehr way it doesn't matter whether Toriyama is involved or not, this is the next canon saga. It's being advertised and treated as such.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Toyotaro might be doing more storywork than he's done in the past, but that doesn't mean Toriyama's contribution is "very little." It was literally announced and featured at Jump Festa as Toriyama and Toyotaro's co-creation. This isn't a case with GT where Toriyama is just being credited as series creator and that's it, this is still a collaborative effort here.

Eitehr way it doesn't matter whether Toriyama is involved or not, this is the next canon saga. It's being advertised and treated as such.
The advertisement is minuscule and they have only pushed it as the next chapter of the manga. Toriyama hasn't said a single thing, all we have is Toyotaro mentioning Toriyama is involved and that isn't some massive advertisement, in fact the Toriyama's comment after Toyotaro's was all about Broly and his next work.
If Toriyama was heavily involved and this was the next main arc of the franchise they would be making a huge deal about this.
The arc wasn't announced at Jump Festa, it was talked about at Jump Festa right after Heroes, does that make Heroes the continuation of the series too?

Last edited:

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The advertisement is minuscule and they have only pushed it as the next chapter of the manga. Toriyama hasn't said a single thing, all we have is Toyotaro mentioning Toriyama is involved isn't some massive advertisement, in fact the Toriyama's comment after Toyotaro's was all about Broly and his next work.
If Toriyama was heavily involved and this was the next main arc of the franchise they would be making a huge deal about this.
The arc wasn't announced at Jump Festa, it was talked about at Jump Festa right after Heroes, does that make Heroes the continuation of the series too?
Why would they talk about it at all if it's irrelevant? And saying it has received little to no advertisement is literally false, but if you want to push a false narrative then that's on you. Just because you do not like the manga doesn't skew the facts to suggest that the current Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is "non-canon" or "filler." Your opinion of Toyotaro doesn't matter in this discussion. The current manga arc is a canon continuation of the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie. That's a fact.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they talk about it at all if it's irrelevant? And saying it has received little to no advertisement is literally false, but if you want to push a false narrative then that's on you. Just because you do not like the manga doesn't skew the facts to suggest that the current Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is "non-canon" or "filler." Your opinion of Toyotaro doesn't matter in this discussion. The current manga arc is a canon continuation of the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie. That's a fact.
Lmao, what? There is barely any push behind this arc and Toriyama's involvement has only been mentioned once by Toyotaro. I don't think you understand just how much they push Toriyama's involvement in things and how much noise they make about big, new arcs.
Stop bringing up my opinion on the manga or Toyotaro, I haven't said a single thing about my thoughts regarding those subjects in this discussion, hell I've even openly said in this thread and on Twitter that I think the most recent chapter is really good and that Moro is an amazing design.
There is no "Fact" to it being the "canon continuation of the movie", it's canon to the Super manga, yes, but as of right now that's it, and everything points to this being a manga only thing with how low key they've been about it.
I'm not even saying it can't be in the anime, I'm just saying I doubt it based on what we know.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Lmao, what? There is barely any push behind this arc and Toriyama's involvement has only been mentioned once by Toyotaro. I don't think you understand just how much they push Toriyama's involvement in things and how much noise they make about big, new arcs.
Stop bringing up my opinion on the manga or Toyotaro, I haven't said a single thing about my thoughts regarding those subjects in this discussion, hell I've even openly said in this thread and on Twitter that I think the most recent chapter is really good and that Moro is an amazing design.
There is no "Fact" to it being the "canon continuation of the movie", it's canon to the Super manga, yes, but as of right now that's it, and everything points to this being a manga only thing with how low key they've been about it.
I'm not even saying it can't be in the anime, I'm just saying I doubt it based on what we know.

Funny thing was that you were telling me Arch how this arc could be from Toriyama back when it was announced and I had my doubts since when Toriyama makes a new story arc they shout it from the mountain top. Like they made sure Broly had Toriyama's name all over it before we even knew the title. And as you noted, they even changed the credit in the manga for the current arc to almost downplay Toriyama's involvement.

So, all signs point to this being like the Hit Arc in the anime. Not part of 'Toriyama's outline', but a decent story nonetheless that is canon to the manga.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing was that you were telling me Arch how this arc could be from Toriyama back when it was announced and I had my doubts since when Toriyama makes a new story arc they shout it from the mountain top. Like they made sure Broly had Toriyama's name all over it before we even knew the title. And as you noted, they even changed the credit in the manga for the current arc to almost downplay Toriyama's involvement.

So, all signs point to this being like the Hit Arc in the anime. Not part of 'Toriyama's outline', but a decent story nonetheless that is canon to the manga.
To be fair It was really weird when the arc first started, but everything since then has just made it seem more and more like it's Toyo's own little thing.
Toyotaro and Toriyama both having statements for Jump Festa and Toriyama's not even acknowledging the arc but also mentioning that he's working on his next thing was the final nail in the coffin for me.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on guys you just know Toriyama will just contradict the hell out of Toyotaro's worldbuilding the next time he involves the Kais in the anime.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Just watched the movie, it was okay, but felt way too rushed and I found it pointless to call the antagonist Broly, they barely have anything in common.

I hope they have an extended version ready for the Blu-ray release.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda like how Toyo is basically creating fanfiction but the original author is allowing it because hey his word is still law so who really cares what he (toyo) does.

Almost like hes still doing AF but with actual permission.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda like how Toyo is basically creating fanfiction but the original author is allowing it because hey his word is still law so who really cares what he (toyo) does.

Almost like hes still doing AF but with actual permission.
Toriyama is already confirmed to be working on it and is likely doing corrections to the manga as well like he did with the previous arcs. Some of the pages in the DB Super manga are drawn entirely by Toriyana.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
So I've seen a few clips on the movie on YouTube(having already read the spoilers), and there's some interesting transformation-related stuff it got me thinking about (movie spoilers) :

So Broly can tap into Oozaru power despite having his tail removed and without transforming, and it looks like that plus his absurdly high base stats plus the Legendary/Berserk transformation is what makes him vastly outclass Kale and push Goku and Vegeta so far. So we sorta have SS4 in the sense of having oozaru and SS combining, though not the design. The shots of Vegeta briefly going green before SS (I'd seen the pictures of him doing it once, but it looks like it actually happens twice) has me wondering if tapping into that oozaru power and/or Legendary(and combining it with god ki) is what is next for Vegeta to compete with UI, given Evolved is anime-only and only on par with Blue Kaioken. It'd be in line with the more Saiyan-focused approach Vegeta tends to take, and Trunks' Rage form and Vegeta's "That's my Bulma!" moment could also possibly be foreshadowing in a sense.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
So I've seen a few clips on the movie on YouTube(having already read the spoilers), and there's some interesting transformation-related stuff it got me thinking about (movie spoilers) :

So Broly can tap into Oozaru power despite having his tail removed and without transforming, and it looks like that plus his absurdly high base stats plus the Legendary/Berserk transformation is what makes him vastly outclass Kale and push Goku and Vegeta so far. So we sorta have SS4 in the sense of having oozaru and SS combining, though not the design. The shots of Vegeta briefly going green before SS (I'd seen the pictures of him doing it once, but it looks like it actually happens twice) has me wondering if tapping into that oozaru power and/or Legendary(and combining it with god ki) is what is next for Vegeta to compete with UI, given Evolved is anime-only and only on par with Blue Kaioken. It'd be in line with the more Saiyan-focused approach Vegeta tends to take, and Trunks' Rage form and Vegeta's "That's my Bulma!" moment could also possibly be foreshadowing in a sense.

it's absolutely what is next for goku and vegeta

it'll probably be the focus of the first arc when super returns in 2019

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think you need to go to deep with those ssj colors, Nagamine the director has said he wanted to show new ways of going ssj.
Vegeta going green is just a fun color, and maybe a fake-out since it kinda looks like Vegeta is going blue.

Same with Goku going "UI".. Its just fun colors. The pupils that Goku gets is just intense emotions.. and the colors are for the effect.
b59c5525f018d1e5d87dd66083dadcb1.jpg

You can see in the storyboard that there's no mention of UI, and the pupils are just there to show intense emotions.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't think you need to go to deep with those ssj colors, Nagamine the director has said he wanted to show new ways of going ssj.
Vegeta going green is just a fun color, and maybe a fake-out since it kinda looks like Vegeta is going blue.

Same with Goku going "UI".. Its just fun colors. The pupils that Goku gets is just intense emotions.. and the colors are for the effect.
b59c5525f018d1e5d87dd66083dadcb1.jpg

You can see in the storyboard that there's no mention of UI, and the pupils are just there to show intense emotions.

I'm 100% sure these will be Death of the Author'd by fans in seconds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.